Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Southwest Conference
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
Southwest Conference
Is it time for a newer version to be formed?
01-28-2015 11:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RaiderRed Offline
Banned

I Root For: P5
RE: Southwest Conference
(01-28-2015 11:47 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Is it time for a newer version to be formed?

Will Arkansas leave their natural rivals in Miss and Louisiana?

Will they tolerate Texas Tech as a rival?
01-29-2015 12:13 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(01-29-2015 12:13 AM)RaiderRed Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 11:47 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  Is it time for a newer version to be formed?

I don't make that decision. But no one would miss playing the Mississippi schools. Now LSU is another matter. I also don't know how much of a natural rival anyone except LSU is to Arkansas.
01-29-2015 07:31 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
The idea of a conference of TX and the surrounding small population states has been tried in various iterations and it doesn't work well at all in modern CFB.

IMO the only way a stand alone, middle America conference works is if it unites the Texas & Friends Schools with the Chicagoland schools, something like:

South

Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma
OK State
New Mexico

North

Kansas
Mizzou
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota
01-29-2015 09:11 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-29-2015 07:31 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 12:13 AM)RaiderRed Wrote:  

I don't make that decision. But no one would miss playing the Mississippi schools. Now LSU is another matter. I also don't know how much of a natural rival anyone except LSU is to Arkansas.

I always thought that Arkansas seemed like a natural rival with the Oklahoma schools. Fayetteville is less than 2 hours from Tulsa.

Also Missouri seems like a natural rival because they're the only 2 big-time schools that are on the edge of the Ozarks.

And Fayetteville is only about 4 hours from Lawrence, KS. That's closer than any SEC school (including Mizzou).
01-29-2015 09:19 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

It has already formed. It's called the Big 12.
01-29-2015 10:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(01-29-2015 09:11 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  The idea of a conference of TX and the surrounding small population states has been tried in various iterations and it doesn't work well at all in modern CFB.

IMO the only way a stand alone, middle America conference works is if it unites the Texas & Friends Schools with the Chicagoland schools, something like:

South

Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma
OK State
New Mexico

North

Kansas
Mizzou
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

There would be a much easier way to do this - add Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and Mizzou to the Big Ten and we'd call it a day.
01-29-2015 10:06 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(01-29-2015 09:11 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  The idea of a conference of TX and the surrounding small population states has been tried in various iterations and it doesn't work well at all in modern CFB.

South

Texas A&M
Texas
LSU
Arkansas
Oklahoma
OK State
New Mexico

North

Kansas
Mizzou
Nebraska
Iowa
Illinois
Wisconsin
Minnesota

The north would be like the dream division for Iowa, although I guess we should look out for Iowa State and invite them too.
01-29-2015 10:46 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-29-2015 10:04 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

That was the idea when the Big 12 was formed, and it did put the Longhorn, Sooner, and Cornhusker football brands under one roof, but it didn't go far enough in addressing the lower population of the "footprint" that was the big issue going forward for the Big 8 and SWC.

And the Big 12, for various reasons, missed the opportunity to expand its population base when replacing the schools that left the conference in the last five years.
01-29-2015 11:48 AM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

I Root For: KU
(01-29-2015 11:48 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

That was the idea when the Big 12 was formed, and it did put the Longhorn, Sooner, and Cornhusker football brands under one roof, but it didn't go far enough in addressing the lower population of the "footprint" that was the big issue going forward for the Big 8 and SWC.

And the Big 12, for various reasons, missed the opportunity to expand its population base when replacing the schools that left the conference in the last five years.
If the Big 12 could go back in time, they could address some of the original issues - such as the discontinuation of the OU/NU rivalry. But there were also a few other items that were issues, such as aTm's preference for the SEC. The Big 12 was a good conference - but it was flanked by better ones with big appetites. There have been a number of ideas floated regarding how we could have expanded, but in the end I'm not sure any of them would have helped stave off what has happened, nor is there any guarantee that we could have actually gotten the targets posited even if we wanted to. (For example, the FSU/Clemson grab some hoped for was clearly not going to occur - the only way something like that occurs is if the SEC and B1G pull off a massive strike and leave behind attractive targets from a gutted conference.)
01-29-2015 01:00 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama

Short. Sweet. To the point.
01-29-2015 01:08 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(01-29-2015 01:00 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  

If the Big 12 could go back in time, they could address some of the original issues - such as the discontinuation of the OU/NU rivalry. But there were also a few other items that were issues, such as aTm's preference for the SEC. The Big 12 was a good conference - but it was flanked by better ones with big appetites. There have been a number of ideas floated regarding how we could have expanded, but in the end I'm not sure any of them would have helped stave off what has happened, nor is there any guarantee that we could have actually gotten the targets posited even if we wanted to. (For example, the FSU/Clemson grab some hoped for was clearly not going to occur - the only way something like that occurs is if the SEC and B1G pull off a massive strike and leave behind attractive targets from a gutted conference.)

Agreed that the Big 12 had no shot at poaching FSU and Clemson.

The Big 12 did try to get Pittsburgh, and Pitt used that as leverage to get the ACC to invite them.

The Big 12 could have tried an aggressive move at the time Colorado and Nebraska left, to pick up a few or several Big East programs at once (in addition to WVU whom they invited the following year). That would have expanded the footprint into populated states. But maybe ESPN and Fox were not willing to increase the TV dollars enough to make a large expansion look good to the Big 12 presidents. Or maybe they didn't like the idea of shifting the center of gravity in the conference to the east, or maybe they wanted someone else to get the blame for the end of Big East football. Who knows.
01-29-2015 01:12 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-29-2015 01:12 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

The Big 12 did try to get Pittsburgh, and Pitt used that as leverage to get the ACC to invite them.

The Big 12 could have tried an aggressive move at the time Colorado and Nebraska left, to pick up a few or several Big East programs at once (in addition to WVU whom they invited the following year). That would have expanded the footprint into populated states. But maybe ESPN and Fox were not willing to increase the TV dollars enough to make a large expansion look good to the Big 12 presidents. Or maybe they didn't like the idea of shifting the center of gravity in the conference to the east, or maybe they wanted someone else to get the blame for the end of Big East football. Who knows.

I've often wondered what would have happened if, down to 8 teams, the Big 12 had invited WVU, Pitt, Cincinnati and Louisville as a package deal. That's not to denigrate TCU. But the geographic compatibility of those four has a lot of appeal to me. Whether Cincy and Louisville would have appealed to Pitt is a question I can't answer. That might go to how much of their core identity is as an eastern school as opposed to an Ohio Valley school.

And, clearly, such a move would have been the fatal blow to the Big East before the ACC had a chance to deliver it.
01-29-2015 01:52 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry

I wouldn't say no shot.

There is a reason why the ACC added Louisville instead of UConn and went back to an 8 game conference schedule after going to 9.
01-29-2015 02:12 PM
BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

(01-29-2015 01:52 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 10:04 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  It has already formed. It's called the Big 12.

I've often wondered what would have happened if, down to 8 teams, the Big 12 had invited WVU, Pitt, Cincinnati and Louisville as a package deal. That's not to denigrate TCU. But the geographic compatibility of those four has a lot of appeal to me. Whether Cincy and Louisville would have appealed to Pitt is a question I can't answer. That might go to how much of their core identity is as an eastern school as opposed to an Ohio Valley school.

And, clearly, such a move would have been the fatal blow to the Big East before the ACC had a chance to deliver it.
If we leave aside the theories that UT (and perhaps OU and KU as well) were trying to avoid expansion to keep options open, that is one of the more intriguing possibilities. I can see a lot of plausible reasons it didn't occur, however.

As has been noted, it leaves open the possibility of one or more of those schools using that offer as leverage to get an invitation elsewhere (as has been speculated (and perhaps confirmed, I just don't recall seeing it) with Pitt), or else just taking their chances on a future invitation to a preferred destination. Even if the Big 12 were to start talks with that group, there's no guarantee it could have been worked out from their side.

There could also have been negative feedback from networks - whether because it would not add enough value in their estimation to the Big 12, or because the networks had other preferred destinations for those schools, it doesn't matter.

There were probably also perception issues. As a league losing high-profile members, there may have been reluctance to bring on "lesser brands".

The Big 12 could also have been over-estimating their chances of landing FSU/Clemson and perhaps others, and thus held back.

There could have been concerns within the Big 12 that those 4 schools coming together would create an instant voting block, in a conference that was already in a cliquish state.

On a related topic, there could have been concerns within the Big 12 North that those additions would keep them away from Texas more often. They probably figure it's easier to draw a kid for the short trip up I-35 than to come from the Ohio Valley, even if the additions would have added new recruiting grounds.

aTm may have had one foot out the door and been playing heavy footsie with the SEC, and thus not cooperated in the potential move, objecting on other grounds officially while continuing back-door conversations with Slive & Co.

As has been pointed out, the conference owns the Big 14 name, so it could have expanded there and had a fresh start. Then even if aTm bolted for the SEC later, we could have added TCU at that point. Missouri would likely still have left if the SEC were particularly voracious for #14, but it's also possible that we'd have done enough to keep them in the conference (and kept a direct bridge to the new eastern frontier).
01-29-2015 02:37 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-29-2015 02:37 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 11:48 AM)Wedge Wrote:  That was the idea when the Big 12 was formed, and it did put the Longhorn, Sooner, and Cornhusker football brands under one roof, but it didn't go far enough in addressing the lower population of the "footprint" that was the big issue going forward for the Big 8 and SWC.

If we leave aside the theories that UT (and perhaps OU and KU as well) were trying to avoid expansion to keep options open, that is one of the more intriguing possibilities. I can see a lot of plausible reasons it didn't occur, however.

As has been noted, it leaves open the possibility of one or more of those schools using that offer as leverage to get an invitation elsewhere (as has been speculated (and perhaps confirmed, I just don't recall seeing it) with Pitt), or else just taking their chances on a future invitation to a preferred destination. Even if the Big 12 were to start talks with that group, there's no guarantee it could have been worked out from their side.

There could also have been negative feedback from networks - whether because it would not add enough value in their estimation to the Big 12, or because the networks had other preferred destinations for those schools, it doesn't matter.

There were probably also perception issues. As a league losing high-profile members, there may have been reluctance to bring on "lesser brands".

The Big 12 could also have been over-estimating their chances of landing FSU/Clemson and perhaps others, and thus held back.

There could have been concerns within the Big 12 that those 4 schools coming together would create an instant voting block, in a conference that was already in a cliquish state.

On a related topic, there could have been concerns within the Big 12 North that those additions would keep them away from Texas more often. They probably figure it's easier to draw a kid for the short trip up I-35 than to come from the Ohio Valley, even if the additions would have added new recruiting grounds.

aTm may have had one foot out the door and been playing heavy footsie with the SEC, and thus not cooperated in the potential move, objecting on other grounds officially while continuing back-door conversations with Slive & Co.

As has been pointed out, the conference owns the Big 14 name, so it could have expanded there and had a fresh start. Then even if aTm bolted for the SEC later, we could have added TCU at that point. Missouri would likely still have left if the SEC were particularly voracious for #14, but it's also possible that we'd have done enough to keep them in the conference (and kept a direct bridge to the new eastern frontier).

A northern division consisting of Kansas State, Iowa State, Mizzou, Cincy, Louisville, Pitt and WVU in a Big 14 might have been enough to alleviate concerns about dominance by Texas. It also would have kept the ACC as the clear bottom dweller among the P5, IMO.
01-29-2015 02:50 PM
Advertisement

BewareThePhog Offline
1st String

(01-29-2015 02:50 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 02:37 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  
(01-29-2015 01:00 PM)BewareThePhog Wrote:  If the Big 12 could go back in time, they could address some of the original issues - such as the discontinuation of the OU/NU rivalry. But there were also a few other items that were issues, such as aTm's preference for the SEC. The Big 12 was a good conference - but it was flanked by better ones with big appetites. There have been a number of ideas floated regarding how we could have expanded, but in the end I'm not sure any of them would have helped stave off what has happened, nor is there any guarantee that we could have actually gotten the targets posited even if we wanted to. (For example, the FSU/Clemson grab some hoped for was clearly not going to occur - the only way something like that occurs is if the SEC and B1G pull off a massive strike and leave behind attractive targets from a gutted conference.)

A northern division consisting of Kansas State, Iowa State, Mizzou, Cincy, Louisville, Pitt and WVU in a Big 14 might have been enough to alleviate concerns about dominance by Texas. It also would have kept the ACC as the clear bottom dweller among the P5, IMO.
It would have been nice for hoops as well as football.
01-29-2015 04:09 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

That's not the Southwest Conference. I don't know what the hell to make of it. But its not the SWC.
01-29-2015 04:54 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I was thinking something like this.

(Southwest Conference)
1. Arkansas
2. Baylor
3. LSU
4. New Mexico
5. Oklahoma
6. Oklahoma state
7. TCU
8. Texas
9. Texas A&M
10. Texas Tech
01-29-2015 05:02 PM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
It's a nice theory but it just doesn't have enough of a TV footprint to be competitive long term
01-29-2015 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.