Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

RPI Forecast
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
RPI Forecast
http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/CAA.html

http://www.rpiforecast.com has us projected to finish 4th in the conference with a conference mark of 11-7. I like how they have us in double digit wins, but I don't think we'll have 7 conferences losses from here on out. We've already played our most difficult road games, and coming down the stretch we play a lot of games that we should win judging by how we've played so far.

Overall, this is good though. There's a lot of press out there about our team, seeing as we are the surprise of the CAA so far. Hopefully this gets the students and city of Wilmington excited about this team again and Trask gets back to rocking like it used to.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 02:25 PM by B_Hawk06.)
01-18-2015 01:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: RPI Forecast
I think 11-7 is probably fair, though the way we're playing, 7-5 to finish the CAA slate would probably be a tad disappointing. Winning the CAA regular season title is well within our wheelhouse, and would give us an auto bid to the NIT.

Still, some of the teams we're not giving much respect currently will be stealing wins from the "top 4". JMU is one of those teams people might be sleeping on. 4-2 in CAA play and both their losses were close ones to NU and W&M. For now, we have to consider JMU one of FIVE teams capable of winning the league.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 02:49 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-18-2015 02:49 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

The key is winning the games we should. Our performances at home against drexel and delaware were not overwhelming. We can't afford to let up against anyone - especially those we "should" beat.
01-18-2015 03:00 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
If you look at the top 5, all one game apart, I would be surprised if we lose 5 more conference games. More importantly, our road to first place seems to be the easiest.

Based on easiest to toughest schedules left against the top 5, here's what we have.

UNCW - 4 games left against top 5. JMU, NU W&M HOME - JMU ROAD
Hofstra - 5 games left against top 5. W&M, JMU, NU HOME - JMU, W&M ROAD
NU - 6 games left against top 5 - UNCW, W&M, Hofstra HOME - JMU, Hofstra, W&M ROAD
JMU - 6 games against top 5- W&M, Hofstra, UNCW HOME - NU, Hofstra UNCW ROAD
W&M - 6 games against top 5 - Hofstra, NU HOME - UNCW, JMU, Hofstra, NU ROAD

There may be a team that goes on a run, and proves they are the best in the CAA, and one or two in the top 5 may fall apart. Right now, I would say that UNCW is in the best position and W&M in the worst.

W&M will play four of their next six games against the top 5, but get Hofstra and NE at home. They won't face Hofstra and NU away until the weekend of Feb 18th.

UNCW only faces a top 5 team 2 times in their next 7 games, with W&M at home, and JMU on the road.
01-18-2015 04:08 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

If that happens, and we get an auto NIT bid... Success or no?

I'm all for any sort of post season considering where we've been the last several years.
01-18-2015 04:20 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

NIT auto bid for first place team I believe.
01-18-2015 04:31 PM
Advertisement

Hall of Famer

Yes, definitely a success. The last time we reached the NIT, 1998, it was a precursor to future successes. And it would sure be fun to finally have some postseason basketball to get excited about.
01-18-2015 04:32 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2015 04:20 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  If that happens, and we get an auto NIT bid... Success or no?

I'm all for any sort of post season considering where we've been the last several years.

If we win the conference and get the auto NIT bid I absolutely think we have had a successful season!
01-18-2015 04:32 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2015 04:32 PM)solohawks Wrote:  If we win the conference and get the auto NIT bid I absolutely think we have had a successful season!

Hugely successful, I'd say. We were picked to finish 9th and everyone in the league knows they have to win the league to get in. Finishing 1st under those circumstances after having no winning seasons since '08 would be awesome.
01-18-2015 04:34 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

All of that would be nice but remember we must take care of business by taking care of the next hurdle - charleston. Remember that the most important one is the next team up on the schedule.
01-18-2015 04:46 PM
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2015 04:46 PM)Proff Wrote:  All of that would be nice but remember we must take care of business by taking care of the next hurdle - charleston. Remember that the most important one is the next team up on the schedule.

01-18-2015 04:52 PM
Advertisement

82hawk Offline
Heisman

As posters, it's our job to overlook the next game, and look to the future. I'll leave the next game to the players and coaches...that's THEIR job....'-)
01-18-2015 04:53 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

RPI Forecast
(01-18-2015 04:53 PM)82hawk Wrote:  As posters, it's our job to overlook the next game, and look to the future. I'll leave the next game to the players and coaches...that's THEIR job....'-)

Bahaha. Winner.
01-18-2015 05:06 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

OK, OK. I see where you're coming from. In a previous life I was a coach and its difficult for me to look very far ahead. IMO since we've won more than last year we are pretty close to success already but if we don't continue to improve (i.e. keep winning) we could squander this feeling of success.
01-18-2015 05:19 PM
Hall of Famer

By the way, James Madison kicked Andre Nation off the team 3 days ago, this time it appears for good. He averaged 15+ ppg last year to lead the team, but his numbers were way down this year, and they seem to have hit their "last straw" with his behavior.

Probably good for the team in the long run. After making the decision they beat Drexel by 19 on the road and followed it up with a win over Elon.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2015 06:07 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-18-2015 06:06 PM
Osprey#1 Offline
Bench Warmer

OK, not to overlook the next game, but IF we were to finish out 11-5 in conference as RPI Forecast predicts--it would tie this team for the biggest "in-conference" turnaround in UNCW history. That was in the 07-08 season when we went from 4-14 in 06-07 to 12-6--an 8 game turnaround. We were 3-13 last year, so if we managed to go 12-6 this year it would be a 9 game turnaround: best in school history. Just sayin.....
01-18-2015 06:14 PM
Advertisement

Proff Offline
1st String

I agree. If this team takes care of business they have the chance to complete as big a turnaround as we have had in a long time.
01-18-2015 06:56 PM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
One criticism (of sorts) of this team has been that they play to the level of their competition. Playing up sometimes. Playing down at others.

It's pretty clear that there's no one in the CAA that this team can't beat. It's also pretty clear that there's no one who can't beat them.

So, there's the cautionary note.

(By the way ...a regular season title by itself would be so expectations-shattering that I have no idea how anyone could see the season as anything but a tremendous success).
01-18-2015 07:51 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

The success of this team seems to be pretty simple. Drive to the bucket and look to score in the paint instead of settling for 3's. Then, play as though the score is tied the whole game. Don't run the clock or try to sit on leads. When we do that I like our chances. Spruill has turned out to be almost unstoppable. At 6'5", 240lbs he is a huge problem for defense.
01-18-2015 08:29 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

RPI Forecast
Spruill. LeBron of the CAA.
01-18-2015 10:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.