Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened
Bookmark and Share
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Anybody else see the article about ODU FBS status and JMU FBS aspirations threatened due to some new Bill that was introduced about spending in VA?
01-15-2015 11:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
RE: ODU & JMU FBS Future Threatened
I think Libertygrad posted it on the Sun Belt forum. I didn't read it but I hope it doesn't indirectly hurt Liberty.
01-16-2015 06:54 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(01-16-2015 06:54 AM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think Libertygrad posted it on the Sun Belt forum. I didn't read it but I hope it doesn't indirectly hurt Liberty.
Ditto, if it happens no effect on LU.
01-16-2015 07:00 AM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
Haven't read it yet but my guess is, it's ODU pushing for their new stadium. They have sold out every game and desperately need 40-50 thousand seats to help finance the program.
01-16-2015 07:46 AM
army56mike Offline

I believe it puts a cap on how much you can make students pay in athletic fees. Thus lowering your athletic budget. It should not effect LU as a private school.
01-16-2015 12:42 PM
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
This bill would really hurt the athletic budget of all the VA state schools not named vs tech or uva. It would basically kill FBS drams for JMU. If I remember correctly, jmu gets $15,000,000 from student fees, you cut that in half and the athletic budget goes down by 7.5 million. Most va state schools charge students between $1,000-$1,500 in fees. That's out of balance if you ask me.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
01-16-2015 02:05 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
I think this bill is fighting the wrong battle. People are mad that schools are so expensive but it is just capitalism working itself out. Why do kids go to school if they can't afford it? They go to school to get a degree they can't afford and then get a job that doesn't need a degree because there are no jobs for recent graduates. So now everyone has a ton of debt and isn't paying it off fast enough. So once kids realize they can get the same job but just 4 years earlier, they will do that and work their way up earlier and then go to college once the company requires it and may pay for it. In the meantime school attendance will go down and colleges will be forced to cut tuition to make it more attractive for students. Then the cycle repeats. If JMU, ODU, or whoever wants to charge extra for student fees then let the market play itself out.

Just my opinion.
01-16-2015 05:57 PM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
Sounds like the bill would not affect ODU until 2025, if then.

They will have a new stadium and be matching UVA and Techs attendance numbers by then.
01-17-2015 06:01 AM
army56mike Offline

(01-17-2015 06:01 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  Sounds like the bill would not affect ODU until 2025, if then.

They will have a new stadium and be matching UVA and Techs attendance numbers by then.

That is a bold prediction. I would not be surprised if they were able to draw that number of fans either. They need to get that stadium pushed through in the next couple years in order to allow that growth to occur.

It'd be nice to move up to FBS and have ODU as our rival. That area is such a nice place to visit.
01-17-2015 09:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.