ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is JJ a better defensive coach than BT?
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

I Root For: ODU
Is JJ a better defensive coach than BT?
We all know that BT's best teams had the "brand" of being tough defense, top rebounders. (And notice beautiful offense nowhere in there)

But it looks like JJ has been given a lot of notice of his offensive capabilities, but he's also built a reputation for tough defense and top 50 rebounding. It is making me wonder if JJ is better than BT at being BT.

What do u think?
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 12:32 PM by Petey Hodge.)
01-09-2015 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

odu83alumni Offline
All American

I Root For: odu
RE: Is JJ a better defensive coach than BT?
I think BT basically liked to pound the ball inside and pound the boards. His game was more of an inside game. JJ thinks outer and inner. BT was pretty good with the inner thing. I think this team has more depth and weapons than BT had.
01-09-2015 12:34 PM
djnva Offline
All American

I remember "concerns" when he was hired that his brand of basketball would be boring.

Are you bored?
01-09-2015 12:53 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

BT teams had great on the ball defense. This team plays better team defense IMO. BT teams always seemed to get torched from behind the arc, for example.
01-09-2015 12:54 PM
Advertisement

ODUalum78 Offline
Overseer of the Unwashed Masses

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
This team plays defense based on the best utilization of the strengths and skills of the players at hand.

BT's defenses were based on a concept (a good one) and it was assumed that the players could and would adapt to that concept.

I like JJ's implementation much better in that it allows for adjustments to the opponent before the fact, adjustments for injuries, adjustments for substitutions, and in-game adjustments as needed.
In other words, JJ is far more flexible.

Surprising for an older guy 05-stirthepot
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 01:05 PM by ODUalum78.)
01-09-2015 01:00 PM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I think JJ has brought out the offense in BT's defensively talented recruits. It will be interesting to see if the defense and rebounding continues to be good once all of JJs guys are in place. Not saying it wont be, but many of these players, Ross, Bacote, Denzel, Palmore etc were recruited for their D under BT. To me its more amazing what JJ has done to get them scoring the ball.
01-09-2015 02:12 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
The BT teams had better length as well. We seemed taller/longer at most every position back in the day. Seemed to play a stronger zone back then. JJ seems to run more man. This team has MUCH better shooters overall..
01-09-2015 02:13 PM
Advertisement

Razor Ramon Monarch Offline
Heisman

Good defense is all about coaching and scouting.

Having your team prepared to take away your oppositions strengths.

If you know a guy is always going to go right, you can defend him and force him left.

A good coach has his team prepared to take away as many of the opposing teams strengths as they possibly can. Schooling our guys on proper defensive and rebounding techniques is something Coach Jones has shown himself to be very adept at and the results are showing on the court.

This team is excelling because they have a very solid mix of offense, defense and rebounding and if they can win 2 of those 3 battles on any given night, we should win the game.

Not to mention, treys ability to both handle the ball and shoot Ft's at the end of the game reliably is something odu hasn't had since Drew Williamson (and trey is even better than Drew was). You can't discount how important that ability is in close games.

This team is as complete from top to bottom as any team we've had in a long long time.
01-09-2015 03:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JJMonarch Offline
1st String

(01-09-2015 03:28 PM)Razor Ramon Monarch Wrote:  Good defense is all about coaching and scouting.

Having your team prepared to take away your oppositions strengths.

If you know a guy is always going to go right, you can defend him and force him left.

A good coach has his team prepared to take away as many of the opposing teams strengths as they possibly can. Schooling our guys on proper defensive and rebounding techniques is something Coach Jones has shown himself to be very adept at and the results are showing on the court.

This team is excelling because they have a very solid mix of offense, defense and rebounding and if they can win 2 of those 3 battles on any given night, we should win the game.

Not to mention, treys ability to both handle the ball and shoot Ft's at the end of the game reliably is something odu hasn't had since Drew Williamson (and trey is even better than Drew was). You can't discount how important that ability is in close games.

This team is as complete from top to bottom as any team we've had in a long long time.

+1. The bottom line is JJ is a better coach.
01-09-2015 04:09 PM
north beach monarch Offline
Special Teams

Yes
01-09-2015 04:18 PM
Advertisement

mac Offline
All American

Best start in ODU history. What more do we need to know.
Man, Saturday us HUGE! I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I can't help it. One at a time is hard when I'm seeing more then 13 & 1!
01-09-2015 04:22 PM
LuckyLion Offline
1st String

(01-09-2015 04:22 PM)mac Wrote:  Best start in ODU history. What more do we need to know.
Man, Saturday us HUGE! I'm trying not to get ahead of myself but I can't help it. One at a time is hard when I'm seeing more then 13 & 1!

I just want the guys to have the chance to come home ranked. That will make the game Thursday night so much fun!
01-09-2015 08:54 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

And a whole nuther week to enjoy receiving the "bennies" of being Ranked! Win at WKU for Phuc's sake guys!!!!

Let's go Monarchs!!!
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 10:03 PM by Petey Hodge.)
01-09-2015 10:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.