Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Men's Basketball Mid-Term Report
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Okay, so I know this is officially one or two games early but we're really close to the mid-way point of the season. The two games coming up to get us past the mid-way point are two home match ups, Delaware (1-12) and Drexel (2-11). Both of these games we should win to really put an early mark on conference play. If this team is legit and a viable contender THIS year, than we should win both of these and move on to the second half of the season with a higher win total than we had all of last year.

With that said, we've had some good moments that show clear progress along with some ugly moments that keep us in that "one step forward, two steps back" mindset. Realistically though, I think those days are behind us. The way the guys are starting to gel and play together is a very welcomed change that even has the Mullet writing some (as rare as they are) optimistic posts about the program.

Assuming we split games with Elon and Towson (currently 9-6 and 8-7, respectively and win the games we should (Delaware twice, Drexel twice, CoC twice) we have a realistic chance to win at least 8 more games. That could get us close to .500 through conference play. I think when I looked at our remaining schedule I worked it out to us finishing around 9-10 or 10-9 at best.

The best thing we have going for us right now is the appearance that we have a legit PG in Jordan Talley. A legit PG is something this team has been lacking for quite some time, and could translate into a handful of more wins simply by cutting down on our TOs.

Thoughts?
01-06-2015 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

wiggle Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Men's Basketball Mid-Term Report
Tend to agree with your analysis. Talley is the clear cut go man, everything begins and ends with him, but don't discount Freddie Jackson's leadership down the stretch. As far as comparing this team with last year it's night and day.

I believe the athletic department in general has turned a corner and has finally begun to have a distinct plan for the future rather than having to put out fires created by past personnel. If the bball team finishes around .500 this year it will be viewed as a dream season by most members of the staff.
01-06-2015 10:24 PM
Proff Offline
1st String

We should have a pretty good idea about our guys Sunday morning. If we, as we should, win against the blue hens & dragons then a big step forward will have been taken. Good teams win the games they should and a few of the ones they shouldn't. I'm a one game at a time guy so we need to concern ourselves with our Thurs opponent.
01-07-2015 09:38 AM
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
The CAA is really not a very good league at the moment - currently ranked 19th of 33 conferences. With non-conference play all pretty much over, it probably accurately describes where things stand.

We have already beaten the team with the highest RPI in the conference. The Delaware game showed that we can lose to the team with the lowest RPI. That's just the way it's going to be this year for lots of teams in the CAA.

No reason we can't finish as high as our intensity and toughness takes us.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2015 06:14 AM by 70shawk.)
01-09-2015 06:13 AM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2015 06:13 AM)70shawk Wrote:  The CAA is really not a very good league at the moment - currently ranked 19th of 33 conferences. With non-conference play all pretty much over, it probably accurately describes where things stand.

We have already beaten the team with the highest RPI in the conference. The Delaware game showed that we can lose to the team with the lowest RPI. That's just the way it's going to be this year for lots of teams in the CAA.

No reason we can't finish as high as our intensity and toughness takes us.

The way the caa is this year we can definitely compete and even win the league. We already won the toughest non conference road game possible and we should have won the hofstra home game, but we had another 2nd half collapse like we did st ohio. However if we dont play to our potential we can and will lose games to bottom tier teams like Delaware
01-09-2015 06:41 AM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Online
Hall of Famer

(01-09-2015 06:41 AM)solohawks Wrote:  The way the caa is this year we can definitely compete and even win the league. We already won the toughest non conference road game possible and we should have won the hofstra home game, but we had another 2nd half collapse like we did st ohio. However if we dont play to our potential we can and will lose games to bottom tier teams like Delaware

William & Mary scares me a good bit. They don't play in Matthews Arena but I think they're going to be the regular season champs when all is said and done. That trip to Williamsburg will be difficult.
01-09-2015 08:50 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

Tough stretch after Saturday with 3 straight tough road games.
01-09-2015 09:21 AM
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
(01-09-2015 09:21 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Tough stretch after Saturday with 3 straight tough road games.

That's true. We're definitely going to take our lumps this season and that road stretch will test them. Especially with the start of the new semester and the minor stress that entails.
01-09-2015 09:37 AM
Proff Offline
1st String

But first we must take care of business Saturday against Bruiser, et. al. They won last night at towson. We will have to be on our toes. There's never a bigger game on your schedule than the next one.
01-09-2015 09:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.