Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Liberty vs. Presby fiasco
Bookmark and Share
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
Watching LU vs. Presbyterian in MBB tonight. Liberty down by 4 with 18 seconds left. Play is for LU to steal the inbound pass. If unsuccessful, foul immediately. LU instead let 10+ seconds go off the clock and that was the game. Two questions. Did Layer tell his team to foul if they failed to get the inbound pass? If so, why didn't the team foul instead of letting 10 seconds go by? This is very basic coaching and execution. It is tough to watch when things are so poorly executed, either by the coach, the team or both.
01-03-2015 09:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Liberty & UK
RE: Liberty vs. Presby fiasco
Liberty men's basketball is embarrassing. Something's got to change.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
01-03-2015 09:15 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-03-2015 09:15 PM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  Liberty men's basketball is embarrassing. Something's got to change.

That poor end of game execution is one step above playground, or the first level of organized basketball, or how about JV or intramural. How can any LU fan be patient and allow this to continue? Give me an assistant to run the show. And Liberty 351 RPI, lost to Presby 342 RPI, at home.
01-03-2015 09:21 PM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Oof! The poor basketball team. The poor fans. The poor state of affairs.
01-03-2015 09:42 PM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

Layer should go to Barber and agree to a buyout and be done.

01-03-2015 09:45 PM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
https://twitter.com/ChrisLangLNA/status/...4488644610

Someone asked Chris Lang is Liberty would fire Layer mid-season and Lang's response is a big fat no. I agree but it's hard to let him ride the season out. He can't do more damage unless there was a scandal or something but Layer isn't that kind of guy.
01-03-2015 09:48 PM
Advertisement

NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-03-2015 09:48 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisLangLNA/status/...4488644610

Someone asked Chris Lang is Liberty would fire Layer mid-season and Lang's response is a big fat no. I agree but it's hard to let him ride the season out. He can't do more damage unless there was a scandal or something but Layer isn't that kind of guy.
We are approaching a near consensus here. I'm almost to the point to email Barber and ask him to make the change, as difficult and uncomfortable as it is. This has got to be a point of contention in our FBS appeal.
01-03-2015 09:52 PM
army56mike Offline

Flames Nation- Quick Reaction Notes from the game were pretty harsh on Coach Layer. More critical than I have seen before. The heat is engulfing Layer.
01-03-2015 09:57 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(01-03-2015 09:52 PM)Newetimes Wrote:  
(01-03-2015 09:48 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  https://twitter.com/ChrisLangLNA/status/...4488644610

We are approaching a near consensus here. I'm almost to the point to email Barber and ask him to make the change, as difficult and uncomfortable as it is. This has got to be a point of contention in our FBS appeal.

If you agree to pay the buyout (if there is one) then Barber may go for it. I can't imagine it being too expensive (relatively speaking). Maybe $100K-$250K depending on how many years are left. Does anyone know Layer's current contract info?
01-03-2015 09:59 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-03-2015 09:57 PM)army56mike Wrote:  Flames Nation- Quick Reaction Notes from the game were pretty harsh on Coach Layer. More critical than I have seen before. The heat is engulfing Layer.
ArmyMike, unfortunately the heat is warranted due to the level of wins/losses, coaching/execution, and perception. We have been patient enough and let's stop this bottom barrel, slosh. We can't go any lower, all we can do is languish and slosh around in our own pitiful position.
01-03-2015 10:01 PM
knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Knee jerk is what is embarrassing. He will not be fired in season.
01-06-2015 08:58 AM
Advertisement

army56mike Offline

(01-06-2015 08:58 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  Knee jerk is what is embarrassing. He will not be fired in season.

Agreed. Nor should he be.
01-06-2015 09:38 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-06-2015 09:38 AM)army56mike Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 08:58 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  Knee jerk is what is embarrassing. He will not be fired in season.

Respectfully, guys I disagree. This is why we have a forum to present agreeable and disagreeable views. No need to beat the drum any more. Some of us think the program would be better off with the change, others believe it's best to let Layer continue with the season. If for nothing else, I would do it for the players. We just disagree on this one and that's okay.
01-06-2015 10:04 AM
army56mike Offline

Just wondering, when is the last time a college coach was let go before a season ended? Not counting a behavior/violation scandal?
01-06-2015 06:52 PM
GE and MTS Offline

(01-06-2015 10:04 AM)Newetimes Wrote:  

Respectfully, guys I disagree. This is why we have a forum to present agreeable and disagreeable views. No need to beat the drum any more. Some of us think the program would be better off with the change, others believe it's best to let Layer continue with the season. If for nothing else, I would do it for the players. We just disagree on this one and that's okay.

The players probably don't want him fired. They came here just as much for him as any other reason, especially Ethan Layer.
01-06-2015 08:16 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-06-2015 08:16 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 10:04 AM)Newetimes Wrote:  

The players probably don't want him fired. They came here just as much for him as any other reason, especially Ethan Layer.
I've expressed by strong views that I support the "stepping down" now of Layer. Do I think AD Barber will do it no? Do I think Barber will receive heat from alumni, yes. My competitive instinct is not to give up. It can be perceived by staying status quo that we've giving up, that we accept this lowest level of play. Is Layer staying as long as he can? For sure. Would most all fans want him to go. For sure.
01-06-2015 08:33 PM
Advertisement

knucklehead Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
So lets say they did can him and name an interim, do we suddenly pick up more wins than we expect now? I say no.
01-08-2015 10:23 AM
Libertygrad01 Offline
Special Teams

No, not at all. We just need to wait to the season is over and see who may be available. Cliff Ellis has worked out pretty well for CCU.

01-08-2015 10:42 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

(01-08-2015 10:23 AM)knucklehead Wrote:  So lets say they did can him and name an interim, do we suddenly pick up more wins than we expect now? I say no.
The better question is what is best for the program beyond this dismal season, not wins.
01-08-2015 01:29 PM
NewTimes Offline
All American

01-08-2015 01:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.