ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Running bracketology thread
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Bracket Matrix updated yesterday with 17 brackets. ODU is seventh in the aggregate, showing up on 15 brackets.

TWO of them now have the Monarchs as a second seed, as http://drewsbracketology.blogspot.com/ joins http://www.seed-madness.com/. Seed Madness actually has ODU as the top No. 2 seed.

http://crotistics.com/bracket-2015/ has ODU as a 4.

It's really hard to imagine a top 4 seed, but the more wins, the less implausible it becomes.
12-25-2014 11:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

RE: Running bracketology thread
I think if we run the table we can get a 4 seed. That said, I think we have about a 5% chance of running the table. I think we are better than everyone left on our schedule, but not by enough to overcome shooting slumps, which are inevitable.

If I had to guess, I'll go with 4 losses on selection Sunday and getting hit with an 8/9 game.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 12-25-2014 11:59 AM by EverRespect.)
12-25-2014 11:56 AM
ODUR8R Offline
All American

I'm going to get in on this with odubleedblue with the hopes of finishing near or at the top of the Bracket Matrix Challenge.

If anyone is interested in contributing then please let me know. I'll probably start after the Mt St Mary's game and contact Bracket Project to be included.

Right now, based off of merit alone, I would have ODU as an 8 seed.
12-25-2014 11:57 AM
AdoptedMonarch Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
This is similar to the countless hurricane tracking computer models, which invariably seem to offer every conceivable possibility -- from wandering off to die somewhere over the Iowa pig farms to performing a pirouette over the Atlantic Ocean.

But the important point is that, like a hurricane, we are now a force to be considered. And have a better than even chance of hitting somewhere.

Here's to the 2014-2015 Monarch storm landing a direct hit on Indianapolis!
12-25-2014 11:58 AM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-25-2014 11:56 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I think if we run the table we can get a 4 seed. That said, I think we have about a 5% chance of running the table. I think we are better than everyone left on our schedule, but not by enough to overcome shooting slumps, which are inevitable.

If I had to guess, I'll go with 4 losses on selection Sunday and getting hit with an 8/9 game.

That sounds about right. There's probably one or two losses against top CUSA teams like Charlotte or UTEP, and at least one loss against someone that makes you facepalm because of 20 percent shooting and foul trouble.

I'm sure whatever seed ODU gets, the first-round opponent will be Butler. 07-coffee3
12-25-2014 12:23 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

Re: RE: Running bracketology thread
(12-25-2014 12:23 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  
(12-25-2014 11:56 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I think if we run the table we can get a 4 seed. That said, I think we have about a 5% chance of running the table. I think we are better than everyone left on our schedule, but not by enough to overcome shooting slumps, which are inevitable.

That sounds about right. There's probably one or two losses against top CUSA teams like Charlotte or UTEP, and at least one loss against someone that makes you facepalm because of 20 percent shooting and foul trouble.

I'm sure whatever seed ODU gets, the first-round opponent will be Butler. 07-coffee3

I think we will be focused and ready for Charlotte and UTEP. I think we'll win those. I am particularly worried about some of the 2nd tier teams. Empty Sue, Western KY, even FAU as trap games.

12-25-2014 12:28 PM
Advertisement

Monarch Homselr Offline
1st String

I'm superstitious! All this talk makes me nervous. I don't want to jinx them. But, I don't want an 8 or 9 seed IF WE ARE FORTUNATE enough to receive a bid. I want a 10 seed so we will be paired with a mediocre "BCS" team that got in just because of their conference affiliation. Agree with Cyniclone. Butler or a Big 10 team with all those big white farm boys that seem to beat us because of their depth and size....Wisconsin, Michigan State etc.
12-25-2014 12:39 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-25-2014 12:28 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  
(12-25-2014 12:23 PM)Cyniclone Wrote:  

I think we will be focused and ready for Charlotte and UTEP. I think we'll win those. I am particularly worried about some of the 2nd tier teams. Empty Sue, Western KY, even FAU as trap games.

Charlotte on the road will be just the second true road game, and they'll probably be desperate for a signature win to prop up whatever NCAA hopes they have. UTEP is on the road approximately 42,000 miles away, and they have a legit home-court advantage.

Most of the road games have the potential to go wrong, even though ODU should win most of them. But one team gets hot, one team gets cold, and suddenly it's a shocker. Hell, North Texas beat Creighton.
12-25-2014 12:42 PM
ODU-FAN Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Old Dominion!
What pisses me off is that two of the so called bracketologist don't have ODU in at all. How in the world could they not have us in with our resume? We have clearly been one of the best 40 programs in the country to date. Leads me to believe those two don't have a freakin' clue!
12-25-2014 12:48 PM
ODU AGGIE Offline
Heisman

(12-25-2014 11:58 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  This is similar to the countless hurricane tracking computer models, which invariably seem to offer every conceivable possibility -- from wandering off to die somewhere over the Iowa pig farms to performing a pirouette over the Atlantic Ocean.

But the important point is that, like a hurricane, we are now a force to be considered. And have a better than even chance of hitting somewhere.

Well said! The Monarchs are exactly like a gathering storm about to unleash a terrible fury. Right now, it looks like anything that gets in the way will be designated a disaster area.
12-25-2014 02:33 PM
Fatalisk Offline
All American

If ODU runs table gotta figure we are at least a 3.
12-25-2014 04:52 PM
Advertisement

Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-25-2014 11:58 AM)AdoptedMonarch Wrote:  But the important point is that, like a hurricane, we are now a force to be considered. And have a better than even chance of hitting somewhere.

Better than the s***storm from two years ago.
12-25-2014 05:01 PM
FTW ODU Offline
1st String

I hate getting hopes up but I badly want us to get a top 6 seating.
12-25-2014 10:58 PM
Petey Hodge Offline
All American

(12-25-2014 10:58 PM)FTW ODU Wrote:  I hate getting hopes up but I badly want us to get a top 6 seating.

ahhh.. finishing #6
[Image: 7002851134_9f9f4107a8_z.jpg]
12-26-2014 02:05 AM
eastcoastDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis, ODU
Don't see ODU being left out of tournament, but also don't see them as a top 4-6 seed either. ODU will have to get some quality wins, and those will be hard to come by in CUSA, plus they're going to have to win conference road gamesd, always a difficult task in any league. My expectation is that ODU will make the tourney. My hope is they win a game or two, then become relevant on the national scene.
12-26-2014 09:32 AM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(12-26-2014 09:32 AM)eastcoastDave Wrote:  Don't see ODU being left out of tournament, but also don't see them as a top 4-6 seed either. ODU will have to get some quality wins, and those will be hard to come by in CUSA, plus they're going to have to win conference road gamesd, always a difficult task in any league. My expectation is that ODU will make the tourney. My hope is they win a game or two, then become relevant on the national scene.

From your keyboard...To Gods ears.
12-26-2014 09:53 AM
Advertisement

mac Offline
All American

How about we see if we can win some road games before folks start saying 3 seed or 28&2 stuff. We start conference play with three road games. We could end up behind the 8 ball real quick. We have played all of one road game so far against a team picked near the bottom of their league. We will know a lot more about this team by the second week of January. 10&1 is a great start but playing on the road is another animal all together. We get to 14&1, then I'm singing top 25 right along with you!
12-26-2014 10:30 AM
Obiwan Offline
1st String

Mac the voice of reason :-)
12-26-2014 10:47 AM
DaBigBlue Offline
Heisman

This conference is no bus league, the road trips are brutal. Last year we got snowed-in a couple of times, we'll be playing in arenas with less than 1K, and now we have the target on our backs. Many of the places we're playing this year we've never been to. We aren't good enough to go though this conference, without a few bumps and bruises. What we done in the first 1/3rd of the season is great, those wins are in the book. Be prepared we could easily pick up a few losses on these road trips. I'm thinking this staff does a very good job keeping this group level headed, but it's up to the team to bring the energy they need night in and night out.
12-26-2014 12:16 PM
Old Blue Offline
1st String

(12-26-2014 10:30 AM)mac Wrote:  How about we see if we can win some road games before folks start saying 3 seed or 28&2 stuff. We start conference play with three road games. We could end up behind the 8 ball real quick. We have played all of one road game so far against a team picked near the bottom of their league. We will know a lot more about this team by the second week of January. 10&1 is a great start but playing on the road is another animal all together. We get to 14&1, then I'm singing top 25 right along with you!

Of course you're right. But I think this year we have difference makers in Trey Freeman and Denzel Taylor. Plus throw in Ross and the overall depth of the team? I feel pretty good. Although this first 3 game road stretch will tell us a lot. I trust Jeff Jones to have our team ready to compete. What an outstanding hire this guy was!!
12-26-2014 12:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.