UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Follow-up Forbes article Dec17
Bearded Dragon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UAB
Follow-up Forbes article Dec17
Nice photo of Watts returning from the SEC championship game.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank...program/2/
12-17-2014 08:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

KSUBlazer Offline
Special Teams

RE: Follow-up Forbes article Dec17
Ah, that makes for delightful reading to a nice big audience. The more people that know the real story, the better!
12-17-2014 08:44 AM
notnow Offline
1st String

Great job by Forbes. Wonder how the Watts will spin this?
I guess they spelled his name correctly?
12-17-2014 08:49 AM
Bearded Dragon Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-17-2014 08:44 AM)KSUBlazer Wrote:  Ah, that makes for delightful reading to a nice big audience. The more people that know the real story, the better!
I thought the same, national business exposure. I wonder if this issue will be in the waiting area of the BBA.03-lmfao
12-17-2014 08:56 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

Wow, so he really did go to the game? Is that properly vetted?
12-17-2014 09:16 AM
ndjs22 Offline
2nd String

A called out comment, which I guess is Forbes way of highlighting comments said "How about support of the literature program? Science, technology and math?"

My response:
You ask about supporting academics, well I’m for it.

Since Dr. Watts has become President of UAB, however, there does not appear to be much support of anything on the undergraduate side of campus. Buildings were promised and no progress has been made. Honors programs have been culled from individual programs to a general honors program. The Faculty Senate has distributed resolutions calling for a vote of no confidence in Dr. Watts.

This isn’t an academics vs. athletics argument. It never was.
This isn’t a money or profit argument. It never was. UAB football generated a profit this year and does fairly well on a national and conference level.
This isn’t a support or attendance argument. UAB football more than doubled attendance this year.

This is really about some old men with power grinding an axe, whether it’s just because some other man complained about basketball recruiting decades ago, they don’t like another school being so close, they’re scared of dragons or hell maybe they just don’t like the color green.

What we need to focus on now is that Dr. Ray Watts is toxic. The students don’t support him because he doesn’t support the students. The same goes for alumni, many of whom are withholding donations. The same goes for athletes, many of whom are transferring. The same goes for potential incoming students, many of whom have crossed UAB off the list of potential universities. The same goes for the faculty who doesn’t support him because he ignored them and lied to them, only to recently intimate several mea culpas and promising to do better. To quote the man himself, you can’t run this University on promises.

Dr. Watts can’t walk across the campus he is supposed to preside over without exaggerated fears for personal safety requiring a security detail. He doesn’t drive to work anymore, opting for a helicopter. The Birmingham Business Alliance unleashed a furious torrent of anger when they announced he will be their Chair-elect for the upcoming year. Their Facebook page took a massive hit, average review going from about 4.5 stars to 1.1 stars in just hours. The man is radioactive, and I’m content with this until he either realizes he’s lost his ability to lead this University and does the honorable thing by either reinstating football and/or resigns or he is removed from office. His ties to the UA Board of Trustees make me wonder if he will be removed, even if faced with a vote of no confidence from the UAB Faculty Senate.

This whole thing reeks of backroom deals and meetings, hidden agendas, and corruption swept under rugs by NDAs.

Sure, I’m upset that my alma mater lost a beloved program which looked to be improving in every way. Very upset, but I’m even more upset that we have a man in the President’s office who I feel doesn’t have the best interest of UAB at heart and moves when his puppet strings are pulled from Tuscaloosa.
12-17-2014 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If someone posting a picture of a guy on a plane on twitter means that person went to a football game, then yes it is vetted.
12-17-2014 09:34 AM
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
(12-17-2014 09:34 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  If someone posting a picture of a guy on a plane on twitter means that person went to a football game, then yes it is vetted.

I kind of cringed at that part myself....but its funny. At least its on Forbes if its wrong.
12-17-2014 09:48 AM
backyardblazer Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Blazers
(12-17-2014 09:34 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  If someone posting a picture of a guy on a plane on twitter means that person went to a football game, then yes it is vetted.

^What he said^
12-17-2014 09:50 AM
CajunBlazer Offline
1st String

You know, I'm probably not being entirely, but the first think I thought of when I so saw your post above was, "What side is that guy on?"

To be honest I might have thought of something along the same lines, but I sure wouldn't have posted it on this board at this time.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 10:02 AM by CajunBlazer.)
12-17-2014 09:59 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-17-2014 09:59 AM)CajunBlazer Wrote:  

You know, I'm probably not being entirely, but the first think I thought of when I so saw your post above was, "What side is that guy on?"

To be honest I might have thought of something along the same lines, but I sure wouldn't have posted it on this board at this time.

I am on the side of UAB athletics. I am not on the side of people who are on my side and jump to conclusions based on sketchy evidence. It makes my side look bad.

I am also not on the side of people who are so shortsided that in order to get football back that they destroy the rest of athletics.

I am also not on the side of people who constantly call out the allegiance of others.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 10:09 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
12-17-2014 10:07 AM
Advertisement

blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
(12-17-2014 10:07 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

I am on the side of UAB athletics. I am not on the side of people who are on my side and jump to conclusions based on sketchy evidence. It makes my side look bad.

I am also not on the side of people who are so shortsided that in order to get football back that they destroy the rest of athletics.

I am also not on the side of people who constantly call out the allegiance of others.

I thought the same thing, MB, when I saw the link to the photo... it discredits his entire article if the photo is untrue.
12-17-2014 10:16 AM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(12-17-2014 09:50 AM)backyardblazer Wrote:  

^What he said^

Well, someone would could just ask him if he went to the game?

I mean, if he were spotted outside the bunker.
12-17-2014 10:22 AM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-17-2014 10:22 AM)Smaug Wrote:  

^What he said^

He has a great opportunity to come forward now and say, "I was not at that game! That's just BS!"

For the record, I don't care if he was at that game or not. I could tell he wasn't a Blazer when he spoke to my football team.
12-17-2014 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(12-17-2014 10:36 AM)thebernreuter Wrote:  

^What he said^

He has a great opportunity to come forward now and say, "I was not at that game! That's just BS!"

For the record, I don't care if he was at that game or not. I could tell he wasn't a Blazer when he spoke to my football team.

I don't know that anyone has asked him directly. Why would he voluntarily address an an internet rumor that has not been presented to him. To address internet rumors gives them credibility. Should he also voluntarily address the rumor presented on twitter that he pees while sitting down?
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014 10:41 AM by Memphis Blazer.)
12-17-2014 10:40 AM
ThankUBasedQuad Offline
Water Engineer

(12-17-2014 10:16 AM)blazinrunner Wrote:  
(12-17-2014 10:07 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

I thought the same thing, MB, when I saw the link to the photo... it discredits his entire article if the photo is untrue.

Yes, and THAT'S what we have to be the most careful about. Any time we allow a rumor to build and try writing it off as fact, we discredit our movement a whole lot. We're fighting a battle inch by inch, but every time we mess up we give a mile.
Advertisement

KevMo4UAB Offline
#FreeUAB

I thought the article was good except for two things.

1. The Twitter pic was ridiculous. It proves nothing, and IMHO damages the integrity of the article.

2. The article brings us right back to an area of frustration. We will never know what took place behind the scenes between Watts and the UABOT. That's the frustrating reality. I'm please some light and speculation is being pointed in that direction, but we will never know for sure what really put this process in motion.
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

Cajun wonders what side you guys are on.
12-17-2014 10:42 AM
thebernreuter Offline
in trouble

(12-17-2014 10:40 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(12-17-2014 10:36 AM)thebernreuter Wrote:  

^What he said^

I don't know that anyone has asked him directly. Why would he voluntarily address an an internet rumor that has not been presented to him.

It's not an internet rumor anymore. It is in Forbes Magazine as fact.
12-17-2014 10:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
I don't know what school's football team Ray Watts is a fan of. I just know what school's he's not.
12-17-2014 10:47 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.