Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB Faculty Meeting
Bookmark and Share
Shrack Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
UAB Faculty Meeting
- (most important) UAB Faculty Athletic Rep was misled on intention of Carr Report. Said he fully supported football and was shut out of decision making process. He says the FAR is supposed to be included in athletics strategy. He told Watts on many occasions that football was moving in the right direction under head coach Bill Clark. When he asked the AD about the Carr report at the USM game, AD Mackin said "he had done all he could do" and would not elaborate. Athletic Rep didn't learn about decision until everyone else did when they were announced. UAB FAR basically infers the Carr report was meant to kill football.

- Faculty report that President Watts told them the decision to end football was never going to be put up to a vote. He is now trying to make amends by having "shared governance" for athletics.

- Past Pres. of national alumni association doesn't support the decision.

- NAS Board Member: The President did not answer our questions.

- UAB students and alumni spoke out, none in favor of the decision to cut football. Many get standing ovations.

- Faculty comments:

Microbio prof: football team needs to be reinstated. Decision was wrong. Says the Carr report was about eliminating football and makes no sense. Says there was no shared governance before because Watts had no desire to have any.

Foreign Language prof: Talks about secret decisions and irresponsible decision making.

Public health prof: Says the undergraduates have spirit and we need to listen to them.

Another prof: The process was failed shared governance.

Another prof: It was evident in meeting yesterday that the President's idea of shared governance does not align. Trust is lost.

Another prof: This is not a for-profit institution and we should have a voice. No one had a voice. Needs to never happen again.

Executive session happening now. I'll update once something happens.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 01:17 PM by Shrack.)
12-09-2014 10:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NTTHOR Offline
1st String

I Root For: NORTH TEXAS
RE: UAB Faculty Meeting
thanks for the updates...
12-09-2014 11:12 AM
UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
UAB Faculty Meeting
Let's hope something comes out of the meeting, something positive for UAB and its football program. #FreeUAB
12-09-2014 11:44 AM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
UAB Faculty Meeting
Very happy to see UAB faculty, alumni, and students fighting for THEIR university.
12-09-2014 11:47 AM
SApuro Offline
All American

I Root For: UTSA and USM
Good stuff. Thanks for keeping us posted.
12-09-2014 12:07 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

First Resolution: Support of athletics and student athletes, requires transparent reassessment of all athletics

Second Resolution: Vote of no confidence in President Watts.

Will reconvene in January to vote.
12-09-2014 12:20 PM
Advertisement

goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(12-09-2014 12:20 PM)Shrack Wrote:  First Resolution: Support of athletics and student athletes, requires transparent reassessment of all athletics

why not vote now so if football is kept don't loose whole staff and players and have to start over
12-09-2014 12:24 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
UAB Faculty Meeting
It's not typical of faculty to support athletics. This is big and not good for Watts.
12-09-2014 12:24 PM
Shrack Offline
All American

(12-09-2014 12:24 PM)goherd17 Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 12:20 PM)Shrack Wrote:  First Resolution: Support of athletics and student athletes, requires transparent reassessment of all athletics

why not vote now so if football is kept don't loose whole staff and players and have to start over

That would probably be bending the rules. I wish they would too personally, but I have no say in it. The whole staff and players will be gone I think. I don't think there is any saving that. Unfortunate.
12-09-2014 12:25 PM
goherd17 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
keep us posted please good luck
12-09-2014 12:28 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
UAB Faculty Meeting
Uab, good to see your faculty taking leadership in this situation. This is the way it should have been handled from the beginning. Probably can't save the program for next year but hopefully after a year or two you will be playing football in c-usa again.
12-09-2014 12:33 PM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
What you guys really need though is a smoking gun.

You need someone on Watts staff or someone who works for the Carr organization to come out and say that the assessments were all rigged. We all know it, but you need a whistle blower.

If that can be uncovered UAB might get football back, because it would then take an overt act by the BoT at Alabama rather than the snake-like maneuvers they have been using to date. And I don't think they would want that PR disaster. Good luck Blazers!
12-09-2014 12:44 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

UAB Faculty Meeting
Uab faculty senate chair says the possible vote of no confidence extends past football and into other issues including the honors college. Looks like the rumors out of uab fans a couple weeks ago about watts trying to kill more than just football were true. This is going to get very interesting if the faculty actually do some digging!
12-09-2014 12:55 PM
58-56 Offline
Blazer Revolutionary

I Root For: Fire Ray Watts

BlazerTalk Award
(12-09-2014 12:44 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  What you guys really need though is a smoking gun.

You need someone on Watts staff or someone who works for the Carr organization to come out and say that the assessments were all rigged. We all know it, but you need a whistle blower.

If that can be uncovered UAB might get football back, because it would then take an overt act by the BoT at Alabama rather than the snake-like maneuvers they have been using to date. And I don't think they would want that PR disaster. Good luck Blazers!

That's what happened this morning. The FAR gave a steady, devastating, blow-by-blow account that, among other things, exposed the Carr Report and revealed what is generally known as "lack of institutional control" (and cited the NCAA rules violated by the unilateral decision - the handbook is very clear about the role of the FAR, and it's not to be informed at 9am by a flunky who will "pass on your concerns" before a 2pm announcement).
12-09-2014 12:57 PM
EpicNiner Offline
Special Teams

UAB Faculty Meeting
Senate chair also confirmed that voting on the resolution today would be breaking rules. Resolution must be proposed prior to the voting meeting.
12-09-2014 01:06 PM
BlazrDawg Offline
Heisman

(12-09-2014 10:40 AM)Shrack Wrote:  - (most important) UAB Faculty Athletic Rep was misled on intention of Carr Report. Said he fully supported football and was shut out of decision making process. He says the FAR is supposed to be included in athletics strategy. He told Watts on many occasions that football was moving in the right direction under head coach Bill Clark. When he asked the AD about the Carr report earlier this year, AD Mackin said "he had done all he could do" and would not elaborate. Athletic Rep didn't learn about decision until everyone else did when they were announced. UAB FAR basically infers the Carr report was meant to kill football.

- Faculty report that President Watts told them the decision to end football was never going to be put up to a vote. He is now trying to make amends by having "shared governance" for athletics.

- UAB students and alumni spoke out, none in favor of the decision to cut football. Many get standing ovations.

- Faculty comments:

Microbio prof: football team needs to be reinstated. Decision was wrong. Says the Carr report was about eliminating football and makes no sense. Says there was no shared governance before because Watts had no desire to have any.

Foreign Language prof: Talks about secret decisions and irresponsible decision making.

Public health prof: Says the undergraduates have spirit and we need to listen to them.

Another prof: It was evident in meeting yesterday that the President's idea of shared governance does not align. Trust is lost.

Another prof: This is not a for-profit institution and we should have a voice. No one had a voice. Needs to never happen again.

One thing that I thing you got wrong is that Frank actually indicated that Brian Mackin made that "Ive done all I can do" statement at the Southern Miss game a couple of weeks ago,, not way back 'earlier this year' as your comment might suggest. It was at that point that Frank realized that UAB Football was getting ready to be screwed and a few days later, he was so informed ( not by Watts but by this new VP for Finance or whatever his title is ) a few hours before the Watts vs Football team debacle.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 01:15 PM by BlazrDawg.)
12-09-2014 01:10 PM
Advertisement

Shrack Offline
All American

(12-09-2014 01:10 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  
(12-09-2014 10:40 AM)Shrack Wrote:  - (most important) UAB Faculty Athletic Rep was misled on intention of Carr Report. Said he fully supported football and was shut out of decision making process. He says the FAR is supposed to be included in athletics strategy. He told Watts on many occasions that football was moving in the right direction under head coach Bill Clark. When he asked the AD about the Carr report earlier this year, AD Mackin said "he had done all he could do" and would not elaborate. Athletic Rep didn't learn about decision until everyone else did when they were announced. UAB FAR basically infers the Carr report was meant to kill football.

- Faculty comments:

One thing that I thing you got wrong is that Frank actually indicated that Brian Mackin made that "Ive done all I can do" statement at the Southern Miss game a couple of weeks ago,, not way back 'earlier this year' as your comment might suggest. It was at that point that Frank realized that UAB Football was getting ready to be screwed and a few days later, he was so informed ( not by Watts but by this new VP for Finance or whatever his title is ) a few hours before the Watts vs Football team debacle.

Thanks. Fixed it.
12-09-2014 01:18 PM
ODU Oldtimer Offline
All American

I Root For: .ODU

Lion's Den Poster of the Year
(12-09-2014 01:10 PM)BlazrDawg Wrote:  

- Faculty comments:

WTG UAB Faculty never say die. FREE UAB

12-09-2014 01:23 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Dang we just might win this thing. Hold on, don't replace us yet.
12-09-2014 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
(12-09-2014 10:40 AM)Shrack Wrote:  - (most important) UAB Faculty Athletic Rep was misled on intention of Carr Report. Said he fully supported football and was shut out of decision making process. He says the FAR is supposed to be included in athletics strategy. He told Watts on many occasions that football was moving in the right direction under head coach Bill Clark. When he asked the AD about the Carr report at the USM game, AD Mackin said "he had done all he could do" and would not elaborate. Athletic Rep didn't learn about decision until everyone else did when they were announced. UAB FAR basically infers the Carr report was meant to kill football.

- Faculty comments:

....where there is smoke....
12-09-2014 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.