Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NOT OT - Gatlin's BBQ Goes Large and Will Davis is too
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
NOT OT - Gatlin's BBQ Goes Large and Will Davis is too
And about time too ... http://blog.chron.com/foodchronicles/201...29014101=0

This will be in addition to the joint he's partnering across the street from Minute Maid.

04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2014 01:41 PM by Da.Owl.)
12-08-2014 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
RE: NOT OT - Gatlin's BBQ Goes Large
Glad to hear it. They make great food and it was worth going out of the way for it when we were in Houston.
12-08-2014 04:22 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-08-2014 04:22 PM)I45owl Wrote:  Glad to hear it. They make great food and it was worth going out of the way for it when we were in Houston.

Not to mention that they are just such really, really good people.
12-08-2014 04:25 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

This is fantastic news. Gaitlin's is one of the best BBQ places in Houston, and they were due for a larger space.

Maybe I'll have to swing by this weekend to grab some moist brisket.
12-08-2014 04:36 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
Great news...though I do wish they'd open up a place in The Village.
12-08-2014 05:07 PM
4GOwls Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice
(12-08-2014 04:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  This is fantastic news. Gaitlin's is one of the best BBQ places in Houston, and they were due for a larger space.

I'll be stopping by on the next Houston trip. If only one could combine Gatlin's food with the beer menu at the Petrol Station around the corner. Nirvana!
12-08-2014 05:11 PM
Advertisement

Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Geez... Can they PLEASE open an outlet in Central Cali?

I can't get good BBQ out here. They just don't understand the concept.
12-08-2014 05:15 PM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2014 05:11 PM)4GOwls Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 04:36 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  This is fantastic news. Gaitlin's is one of the best BBQ places in Houston, and they were due for a larger space.

I'll be stopping by on the next Houston trip. If only one could combine Gatlin's food with the beer menu at the Petrol Station around the corner. Nirvana!

The Heights has some really great food and drink options, and it makes me sad that I'm too lazy to drive there from Montrose on the regular. Gaitlin's, Hubcap, Petrol Station, Zelko, The Birdhouse, Coltivare, Liberty Kitchen, D&T Drive-in, Kraftsman, Gooddog Hotdog, etc. I could wax poetic about that area's food for hours.

:drool:
12-08-2014 05:16 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(12-08-2014 05:15 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Geez... Can they PLEASE open an outlet in Central Cali?

On a vacation out there, there was a lot of noise about Tri-tip or some such. Not good. We went to eat "Mexican" and it was a joke. Sympathies to you. Also, the world's "greatest" hot dog stand, Pinks in Hollywood-we didn't get it and didn't finish our meals.

Now, In and Out burger, that's a whole 'nother ball game......
12-08-2014 05:49 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(12-08-2014 05:49 PM)texowl2 Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 05:15 PM)Hambone10 Wrote:  Geez... Can they PLEASE open an outlet in Central Cali?

On a vacation out there, there was a lot of noise about Tri-tip or some such. Not good. We went to eat "Mexican" and it was a joke. Sympathies to you. Also, the world's "greatest" hot dog stand, Pinks in Hollywood-we didn't get it and didn't finish our meals.

Now, In and Out burger, that's a whole 'nother ball game......

There was a pretty good Texas-style BBQ place in Castroville -- the Artichoke Capital of the World. But it recently closed. "Gone to seaside to retire."
12-08-2014 06:00 PM
4GOwls Offline
Special Teams

(12-08-2014 05:16 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 05:11 PM)4GOwls Wrote:  [quote='RiceLad15' pid='11518855' dateline='1418074561']
This is fantastic news. Gaitlin's is one of the best BBQ places in Houston, and they were due for a larger space.

[/quote

The Heights has some really great food and drink options, and it makes me sad that I'm too lazy to drive there from Montrose on the regular. Gaitlin's, Hubcap, Petrol Station, Zelko, The Birdhouse, Coltivare, Liberty Kitchen, D&T Drive-in, Kraftsman, Gooddog Hotdog, etc. I could wax poetic about that area's food for hours.

Now that my daughter is living the Heights you've given me a great list to work through on visits. Thanks!
12-08-2014 08:04 PM
Advertisement

75src Offline
All American

Over twenty years ago, there was the Poor Man's Country Club owned by Al Mills who was a fan of Rice baseball and went to many of the games. The Village has since become a spot for the rich to shop instead of having restaurants that students could afford such as Poor Man's and Alfred's Deli. Also, it was not as hard to get a parking place although there were scarce at some times.

(12-08-2014 05:07 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Great news...though I do wish they'd open up a place in The Village.
12-08-2014 08:47 PM
Vegas Owl Offline
Special Teams

New Orleans BowlDonators
(12-08-2014 08:47 PM)75src Wrote:  Over twenty years ago, there was the Poor Man's Country Club owned by Al Mills who was a fan of Rice baseball and went to many of the games. The Village has since become a spot for the rich to shop instead of having restaurants that students could afford such as Poor Man's and Alfred's Deli. Also, it was not as hard to get a parking place although there were scarce at some times.

(12-08-2014 05:07 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  Great news...though I do wish they'd open up a place in The Village.

I think that is working on 40 years ago. Alfred's Deli! That was a great place. They also had a larger location in the old Town & Country Village on the west side of Houston. I think Cafe Express sits on top of the land where that was at.
12-08-2014 10:29 PM
Tiki Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(12-08-2014 10:29 PM)Vegas Owl Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:47 PM)75src Wrote:  Over twenty years ago, there was the Poor Man's Country Club owned by Al Mills who was a fan of Rice baseball and went to many of the games. The Village has since become a spot for the rich to shop instead of having restaurants that students could afford such as Poor Man's and Alfred's Deli. Also, it was not as hard to get a parking place although there were scarce at some times.

I think that is working on 40 years ago. Alfred's Deli! That was a great place. They also had a larger location in the old Town & Country Village on the west side of Houston. I think Cafe Express sits on top of the land where that was at.

The first outside of the Village location for Alfred's was on Stella Link just south of Braeswood. A favorite spot of my family for many years.
12-08-2014 10:33 PM
Ricefootballnet Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Institute

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(12-08-2014 10:33 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

The first outside of the Village location for Alfred's was on Stella Link just south of Braeswood. A favorite spot of my family for many years.

My dad was a serious devotee of Alfred's because he said it was the one place in Houston he could get food that reminded him of his grandmother's.

When we were kids, piled into the station wagon to go to the Rice game, there was always an argument on the way, about where we'd go afterwards (or before, if a night game) ....the kids wanted Howard Johnson's on Bellaire, but dad wanted Alfred's in the Village. The driver usually won.

Coming home from night ball games in College Station, we'd always stop by the old Bluebonnet Café in Brenham, which stayed open late, where I'd get to have chicken-fried steak, cherry pie, and then a York's peppermint patty slowly melting in the mouth, back of the station wagon, dozing off, on the way home....
12-08-2014 11:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(12-08-2014 08:04 PM)4GOwls Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 05:16 PM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 05:11 PM)4GOwls Wrote:  [quote='RiceLad15' pid='11518855' dateline='1418074561']

[/quote

Now that my daughter is living the Heights you've given me a great list to work through on visits. Thanks!

Max's Wine Dive is owned by a Rice grad. Also will note that Liberty Kitchen and BRC Gastropub are owned by Austin Davis' brother. Good food and a Rice connection make them hard to beat.
12-09-2014 07:12 AM
Advertisement

I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl

PMCC was still there as recently as the mid 1980s (and I think 1990s). I had forgotten about that place.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2014 10:34 AM by I45owl.)
12-09-2014 10:34 AM
Barney Offline
All American

(12-08-2014 08:47 PM)75src Wrote:  Over twenty years ago, there was the Poor Man's Country Club owned by Al Mills who was a fan of Rice baseball and went to many of the games. The Village has since become a spot for the rich to shop instead of having restaurants that students could afford such as Poor Man's and Alfred's Deli.

Ah, thanks for that memory. Poor Man's CC BBQ was not good, but we went anyway - - for the cold beer in tubs and to hang out awhile with the truly crusty, local good 'ol boys, for a change of pace. Can't say we were exactly welcomed - - scruffy intellectuals.....
12-09-2014 02:04 PM
75src Offline
All American

I would stop at the KC in Hempstead at the corner of 6 and 290. Long gone and now by-passed.

(12-08-2014 11:56 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 10:33 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  

My dad was a serious devotee of Alfred's because he said it was the one place in Houston he could get food that reminded him of his grandmother's.

When we were kids, piled into the station wagon to go to the Rice game, there was always an argument on the way, about where we'd go afterwards (or before, if a night game) ....the kids wanted Howard Johnson's on Bellaire, but dad wanted Alfred's in the Village. The driver usually won.

Coming home from night ball games in College Station, we'd always stop by the old Bluebonnet Café in Brenham, which stayed open late, where I'd get to have chicken-fried steak, cherry pie, and then a York's peppermint patty slowly melting in the mouth, back of the station wagon, dozing off, on the way home....
12-09-2014 03:20 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(12-09-2014 03:20 PM)75src Wrote:  I would stop at the KC in Hempstead at the corner of 6 and 290. Long gone and now by-passed.
(12-08-2014 11:56 PM)Ricefootballnet Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 10:33 PM)Tiki Owl Wrote:  The first outside of the Village location for Alfred's was on Stella Link just south of Braeswood. A favorite spot of my family for many years.

Great walk down memory lane. I had forgotten the KC.
12-09-2014 03:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.