Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bowls
Bookmark and Share
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Bowls
so the bowl schedule is out.

I know many FBS or bust proponents constantly tout the bowl game as a major reason for wanting to move up. I am strongly in favor of going FBS today. I was not 4-5 years ago. An FCS/CAA with playoffs that includes ODU, App St, GaSo, UMass, Texas St, etc, etc is much more compelling to me than the G3 conferences would could get in and meaningless bowls.

to further put a damper on how the bowls for the G3 aren't all that, consider only ONE team in our G3 conferences has a matchup in a bowl against a P5 school:

Illinois vs Louisiana Tech in Dallas. Whoopty freakin' doo.

i'm sorry, you guys (and ODU fans and fans of other schools) can come on here and talk big about how this is great "heck yea! I'm going to a bowl game!" but I call total BS. Less people from JMU would go see us play a 6-6 Illinois in Dallas the day after Xmas than would go to a do-or-die playoff game at Villanova last week.

we MUST go to FBS. that much is clear. But compelling bowl games are not a reason why. it's far down the list. because they won't exist for us.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 07:52 AM by Duke Dawg.)
12-08-2014 07:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

RE: Bowls
now cue Dukeman saying:

aim high ! We can go to a big 6 bowl ! Yea, how'd that work out for Marshall this year. Sure, go undefeated and you can go to a big 6 bowl. Maybe. if you schedule right. And don't play a P5 team. And no else is better (ie - Boise St)
12-08-2014 07:54 AM
JMU85 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes of JMU
Bowls
Well we could have 5 FBS wins, give up 70 to ECU and still be playing in a Bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12-08-2014 07:59 AM
JMU Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
(12-08-2014 07:54 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  now cue Dukeman saying:

aim high ! We can go to a big 6 bowl ! Yea, how'd that work out for Marshall this year. Sure, go undefeated and you can go to a big 6 bowl. Maybe. if you schedule right. And don't play a P5 team. And no else is better (ie - Boise St)

Marshall did not go undefeated.
12-08-2014 08:01 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree with you, however you have to include the American games as G5 bowl options. You can't ignore that possibility. It's not likely, but it's not SEC-unlikely necessarily as a long-term goal.

All G5/P5 matchups are:
Colorado State / Utah
Memphis / BYU (not P5, but c'mon)
La Tech / Illinois
UCF / NC State
Cincinnati / VPI&SU
Boise State / Arizona **access bowl**
Houston / Pittsburgh
ECU / Florida
12-08-2014 08:03 AM
Advertisement

Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2014 08:01 AM)JMU Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 07:54 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  now cue Dukeman saying:

Marshall did not go undefeated.

yes, i know.

that was my point. You have to go undefeated to even have a shot. And even if Marshall did, they may have been left out anyway. Boise was ahead of them in the rankings before they lost to WKU.
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

And heck, the American may not even last as a conference, further distributing those schools & those bowl opportunities.
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

(12-08-2014 08:03 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I agree with you, however you have to include the American games as G5 bowl options. You can't ignore that possibility. It's not likely, but it's not SEC-unlikely necessarily as a long-term goal.

All G5/P5 matchups are:
Colorado State / Utah
La Tech / Illinois
UCF / NC State
Cincinnati / VPI&SU
Houston / Pittsburgh
ECU / Florida

i'm not including the AAC because we aren't getting into the AAC any time soon.

the only conferences that we can get to at this point in time are the SB, CUSA and MAC. those 3 leagues had ONE game against a P5
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 08:05 AM by Duke Dawg.)
12-08-2014 08:04 AM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

Duke Dawg, with all due respect, you have no idea what is going to happen, much like the rest of us. Sit back and enjoy the ride that will be conference re-shuffling, which will begin very quickly.
12-08-2014 08:26 AM
Advertisement

jmusuperfan Offline
All American

(12-08-2014 08:03 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I agree with you, however you have to include the American games as G5 bowl options. You can't ignore that possibility. It's not likely, but it's not SEC-unlikely necessarily as a long-term goal.

All G5/P5 matchups are:
Colorado State / Utah
La Tech / Illinois
UCF / NC State
Cincinnati / VPI&SU
Houston / Pittsburgh
ECU / Florida
that's what I am talking about. #GoDukes
12-08-2014 08:30 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2014 08:04 AM)Duke Dawg Wrote:  i'm not including the AAC because we aren't getting into the AAC any time soon.

the only conferences that we can get to at this point in time are the SB, CUSA and MAC. those 3 leagues had ONE game against a P5

I don't think you know if the American will even be a league in 3-4 years, so how can you know what is likely to happen past that?
12-08-2014 08:32 AM
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

slow down fellas! much like Jeff Long, I'm not speculating on things that don't exist.

T-O-D-A-Y, our only options are Sun Belt, CUSA, MAC.

those 3 leagues COMBINED, got ONE single bowl game against a P5 team. That is fact and indisputable. And it's been the case for the past two years.

Unless there are drastic changes that cause major shuffling with the G5 leagues, which you can say "may" happen, but I can just as easily say "may not" happen, then that is what we are facing.

we are NOT going to the AAC directly from the CAA. If they need to expand because they lose Cincy, UCF, Memphis, whoever, it will not be for a team that has to transition for two years. They will pluck from CUSA to backfill. Which still puts is in one of the 3 leagues that is not getting games against the P5.

I'm not stating this as fact for the next decade. just what the fact is today.
12-08-2014 08:37 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm more interested in the possibility the AAC membership changes drastically (Big 12 etc...). Yes, I'm speculating. I know.
12-08-2014 08:42 AM
Advertisement

ODUBB35 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
No Bowl this year for ODU, and we knew it was a longshot at best.

The main benefit for moving to FBS for us was home and home vs. ACC teams and other regional FBS teams, recruiting, and press. Bowl games are just an added bonus and gets us a little money.

Hope you can join us in the near future, but not for a while. Want to get a few recruiting classes under our belts first so that we can welcome you to FBS the way Marshall welcomed us.
12-08-2014 09:24 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree with Duke Dawg. It's pointless to speculate about far distant "maybes" that are not realities TODAY. He is right. Today, the only 3 conferences we have a realistic shot with have ONE BCS opponent and it's a 6-6 Illinois team. Whoopty Freakin' Doo!

I wouldn't be wasting my time bothering to go see that game out in Dallas. Too much time and money for little meaning. Hell, I'd be more motivated to show up to the Dallas area for an FCS national championship. At the end of the day, both just get a passing 30-60 second highlight on sportscenter, and that's it.

I'm glad to see that the NCAA actually enforced one of their rules for a change. We had 3 transitioning FBS teams that got to 6 wins (Ga Southern, App State and ODCC). They didn't allow any to get a bowl this year, even with GSU begging the NCAA to waive the rule for them this year.
Good for sticking to your guns. Now enforce that stupid attendance rule and send 15-20 teams down to FCS where they belong.

The problem with the 36 bowl games (plus 3 playoff games) is that ESPN or ABC is airing 38 of these 39 games. CBS has the Sun Bowl and that's it.
Unless ESPN decides to cut them all due to poor ratings, these bowls aren't going anywhere. There may be more playoff games as it expands, and fewer "bowls", but the total number of televised "postseason" games will likely not decrease. They want filler programming during the holidays and that is exactly what this will do. I guess the Camellia bowl will still bring in more ratings than bowling or billiards like they used to air.

One final point, that Heart of Dallas bowl has been the lowest rated bowl game the last 2 years and has had at least one FCS playoff game get a better rating than it.
12-08-2014 10:29 AM
hburg Offline

Re: RE: Bowls
(12-08-2014 08:42 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I'm more interested in the possibility the AAC membership changes drastically (Big 12 etc...). Yes, I'm speculating. I know.
Just heard today that the conference leader stated they need a conference championship on siriusxm.
12-08-2014 11:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(12-08-2014 11:04 AM)hburg Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 08:42 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I'm more interested in the possibility the AAC membership changes drastically (Big 12 etc...). Yes, I'm speculating. I know.
Just heard today that the conference leader stated they need a conference championship on siriusxm.

Funny, had FSU and tOSU lost, they would've gotten two teams in and would be talking about how great it was to not have a one true champion. I don't believe that a CCG would've helped them though because Ohio State was always going to get that fourth spot if they went 12-1, to think otherwise is foolish and implies the committee has integrity.
12-08-2014 11:07 AM
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I do find it ironic that they wanted to stay at 10 and emphasize how good it is to not have a CCG. "One true champion". Meanwhile they get no teams in, despite having two good teams, and also have a co-championship situation where they're sharing it. I don't consider sharing a title as "ONE true champion". One typically means... one.

edit: okay baylor and tcu are 8-1 in conference. why is the media calling it a shared big 12 title when baylor beat tcu head to head? Doesn't that make them the champions? I thought a co-championship is only if the tied teams didn't play each other.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:17 AM by Potomac.)
12-08-2014 11:15 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(12-08-2014 11:15 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I do find it ironic that they wanted to stay at 10 and emphasize how good it is to not have a CCG. "One true champion". Meanwhile they get no teams in, despite having two good teams, and also have a co-championship situation where they're sharing it. I don't consider sharing a title as "ONE true champion". One typically means... one.

edit: okay baylor and tcu are 8-1 in conference. why is the media calling it a shared big 12 title when baylor beat tcu head to head? Doesn't that make them the champions? I thought a co-championship is only if the tied teams didn't play each other.

Because their own conference by laws decided that it would be a tie and co champions.
12-08-2014 11:22 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-08-2014 11:22 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(12-08-2014 11:15 AM)Potomac Wrote:  I do find it ironic that they wanted to stay at 10 and emphasize how good it is to not have a CCG. "One true champion". Meanwhile they get no teams in, despite having two good teams, and also have a co-championship situation where they're sharing it. I don't consider sharing a title as "ONE true champion". One typically means... one.

Because their own conference by laws decided that it would be a tie and co champions.

That's stupid. Baylor are the champions. Perhaps the slogan should be changed to "two true champions" next season.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 11:27 AM by Potomac.)
12-08-2014 11:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.