Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Riley
Bookmark and Share
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
Mike Riley
i just heard an interview with Mike Riley on ESPN radio. He doesn't seem to have any idea what he just got himself into. Pellini was run out of town for only winning 9 games a year and that was a banner season at Oregon State. I will be shocked if Riley last three years.
12-06-2014 03:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
RE: Mike Riley
I still don't understand the Riley hire by Nebraska. He's a decent but not great coach. Pellini despite his explosive personality better suited for an East Coast school (if anywhere could handle him long term) is a better coach with more to show.
12-06-2014 04:39 PM
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
Well, Riley is in his 60's so perhaps only coaching for another 3 years is alright by him.

As to Brista, perhaps you guys should hire Pelini?
12-07-2014 12:22 PM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

(12-07-2014 12:22 PM)He1nousOne Wrote:  Well, Riley is in his 60's so perhaps only coaching for another 3 years is alright by him.

As to Brista, perhaps you guys should hire Pelini?

I was certainly thinking that at Maryland 35 Rutgers 10 with 30 seconds to go in the first half.
12-07-2014 02:47 PM
Advertisement

General Mike Offline
1st String

(12-06-2014 04:39 PM)brista21 Wrote:  I still don't understand the Riley hire by Nebraska. He's a decent but not great coach. Pellini despite his explosive personality better suited for an East Coast school (if anywhere could handle him long term) is a better coach with more to show.

Do you know how bad Oregon State has been historically? They are the west coast version of Rutgers. Maybe worse.
12-07-2014 10:24 PM
Policiious Offline
All American

I Root For: NU, NIU
Riley is an excellent hire for Nebraska, why?

1) He has done more with less at Oregon State. He has to compete in state with the University of Oregon at Phil Knight & Nike $. Yet OSU has bowled more often then not.

2) He has lots of contacts in the California HS & JC ranks that Nebraska will need to pull talent from as the state produces very little

3) He will bring a west coast offense to Nebraska
12-10-2014 12:43 AM
brista21 Offline
The Birthplace of College Football

Donators
You guys have mostly convinced me here so I'll wait to see what he does with Nebraska.
12-10-2014 12:09 PM
ohio1317 Offline

I Root For: Ohio State
I'm not sold on him. Within a couple years, other coaches are going to be using his age against him heavily in recruiting ("he'll be ___ when you graduate). That's not a huge deal if you are winning and develop a reputation for that. He's only going to get a couple recruiting classes at the absolute most before that becomes an issue though. That's a lot of pressure on the first year or two when you are also talking a transition and the normal ups and downs of the sport (key injuries, bad luck in a few games, etc).

That said, he's been good at Oregon State and he obviously impressed the powers-that-be at Nebraska who know how important a good hire is.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2014 12:14 PM by ohio1317.)
12-10-2014 12:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.