http://mmqb.si.com/2014/12/04/helmetless...hampshire/
12-04-2014 02:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
RE: OT: Helmetless Tackling Practice at UNH
I have said that if we want to eliminate/reduce head injuries that we need to do a few things. Go back to the really big shoulder pads players wore years ago. Teach tackling with the shoulder and with the head to the side. Shoulder pads are almost non existent today. Reduce facemask size so it will hurt if you stick your nose in there!
12-04-2014 04:12 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

I think the first thing would be to put the best possible helmets on players from pee-wee on up. I think the more this all gets researched, the more hitting will be minimized. The Ohio St. player comes right to mind as a reason something has to change.

I don't see how no helmet tackling really helps - the players won't go full speed and if they do, this seems to be a bigger risk that they would inadvertently still get their head in the mix.
12-04-2014 08:57 PM
Advertisement

BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(12-04-2014 04:12 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  I have said that if we want to eliminate/reduce head injuries that we need to do a few things. Go back to the really big shoulder pads players wore years ago. Teach tackling with the shoulder and with the head to the side. Shoulder pads are almost non existent today. Reduce facemask size so it will hurt if you stick your nose in there!

???
12-04-2014 10:03 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(12-04-2014 10:03 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 04:12 PM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  I have said that if we want to eliminate/reduce head injuries that we need to do a few things. Go back to the really big shoulder pads players wore years ago. Teach tackling with the shoulder and with the head to the side. Shoulder pads are almost non existent today. Reduce facemask size so it will hurt if you stick your nose in there!

???

If I knew how to put photos on here I would post some pictures of players in their uniforms from a decade or two ago and some of current players. Shoulder pads used to be much, much larger than they are today. They had a larger surface area to use for actually tackling with your shoulders. Today, some player's pads are so small it hardly looks like they are wearing shoulder pads.
12-05-2014 09:31 AM
Advertisement

KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

(12-05-2014 09:31 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(12-04-2014 10:03 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

???

If I knew how to put photos on here I would post some pictures of players in their uniforms from a decade or two ago and some of current players. Shoulder pads used to be much, much larger than they are today. They had a larger surface area to use for actually tackling with your shoulders. Today, some player's pads are so small it hardly looks like they are wearing shoulder pads.

[Image: lawrence-taylor-super-bowl-ringjpg-7d5591e65855dbbf.jpg]

[Image: 600watttdet121.jpg]
12-05-2014 09:31 PM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

Go back a little farther than L.T. The shoulder pads he was wearing are too much like today's.
12-06-2014 12:08 AM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

.jpg  3-ray-nitschke-lb_pg_600.jpg (Size: 298.66 KB / Downloads: 25)

Now, these are some shoulder pads!
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2014 12:32 AM by BSKB 24.)
12-06-2014 12:20 AM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

12-06-2014 12:30 AM
Advertisement

BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

The nice thing about the larger pads is they not only give you more protection, but its actually a more forgiving blow to the guy you are hitting as there is a little "give" with them.
12-06-2014 08:11 AM
KickItToScotty Offline
Heisman

OT: Helmetless Tackling Practice at UNH
Even LT you can see a pretty big difference. Those are a huge difference though.
12-06-2014 04:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.