UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Watt is happening to the $1B UAB fund raising campaign
ranger1386b Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UAB
So if i were a completely objective outside observer of recent public events I would be asking this question. Surely no university president of sound mind in the state of Alabama would entertain the thought of a self imposed death penalty on the schools beloved but underdog football program IN THE MIDST OF A ONE BILLION DOLLAR FUND RAISING CAMPAIGN?

What leader would ever consider marrying those two concepts, as killing the football program could have strong potential of crippling the funding campaign?

If we really want to win this battle some advocate with influence and inside knowledge of what has been pledged so far needs to ask those donors who care to follow up with the campaign committee this week to let UAB administration know their gifts are contingent on the football program and Clark remaining. Money is the only true outside leverage and threatening this campaign is the perfect lever.

Anyone know the current status of the campaign, or if pledges are public information?
11-25-2014 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
RE: Watt is happening to the $1B UAB fund raising campaign
(11-25-2014 03:25 PM)ranger1386b Wrote:  So if i were a completely objective outside observer of recent public events I would be asking this question. Surely no university president of sound mind in the state of Alabama would entertain the thought of a self imposed death penalty on the schools beloved but underdog football program IN THE MIDST OF A ONE BILLION DOLLAR FUND RAISING CAMPAIGN?

What leader would ever consider marrying those two concepts, as killing the football program could have strong potential of crippling the funding campaign?

If we really want to win this battle some advocate with influence and inside knowledge of what has been pledged so far needs to ask those donors who care to follow up with the campaign committee this week to let UAB administration know their gifts are contingent on the football program and Clark remaining. Money is the only true outside leverage and threatening this campaign is the perfect lever.

Anyone know the current status of the campaign, or if pledges are public information?

They're halfway there, but were basically halfway there at the time that the campaign was even announced from what I remember.
11-25-2014 03:27 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB, N'Western
#NotAnotherDime
11-25-2014 04:07 PM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
Considering the number of alumni who are trying to decide between doubling their contributions or returning their "Campaign for UAB" shirts back to sender, I think "Watt", or I guess "Watts" is exactly what is happening.
11-25-2014 04:09 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If they kill football, they can go whistle.
11-25-2014 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 04:11 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  If they kill football, they can go whistle.

....."dixie."...
11-25-2014 04:11 PM
ranger1386b Offline
2nd String

The decison makers dont really care about our money. Watt they care about are the million plus donors. If there is a message delivered from multiple members of that list, then they listen.

And the money is Watt matters on the UAB side of the fence. Power and status matter on the Board side. Two different currencies.

So if you want to know Watts happening to and at UAB, have a good journalist follow the money.
11-25-2014 04:19 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(11-25-2014 04:11 PM)Matrix Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 04:11 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  If they kill football, they can go whistle.

....."dixie."...

I really don't give a crap what they whistle, I'm not listening.
11-25-2014 04:27 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 04:27 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  
(11-25-2014 04:11 PM)Matrix Wrote:  

....."dixie."...

I really don't give a crap what they whistle, I'm not listening.

03-lmfao Me, either. It was just the first song that came to mind when I read your post. I'm done...No more...Not even a vending product on UAB property...Zilch!
11-25-2014 04:31 PM
Advertisement

BlazerFire Offline
1st String

Just occurred to me - Don't think I've read anyone saying this. I wonder if Watts made a deal with PBJ?

I'll let you have your $1Billion Campaign, but it only makes sense if you kill football. You want your campaign to raise funds? Kill the albatross and run your campaign. Not a dime of it can go into athletics either."

I can just hear those words.....
11-25-2014 05:36 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 05:36 PM)BlazerFire Wrote:  Just occurred to me - Don't think I've read anyone saying this. I wonder if Watts made a deal with PBJ?

I'll let you have your $1Billion Campaign, but it only makes sense if you kill football. You want your campaign to raise funds? Kill the albatross and run your campaign. Not a dime of it can go into athletics either."

I can just hear those words.....

Wouldn't surprise me at all, that's how diabolical they are. #OccupyHattiesburg #NotAnotherDime
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 05:47 PM by Matrix.)
11-25-2014 05:47 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

The problem though is that a $1B fund must have been somewhat designated for some specific areas & things.

If not all of it is raised, then some things will fall by the wayside.

Maybe a case of Watts over extending his credit.
11-25-2014 06:30 PM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-25-2014 06:30 PM)the_blazerman Wrote:  The problem though is that a $1B fund must have been somewhat designated for some specific areas & things.

If not all of it is raised, then some things will fall by the wayside.

Maybe a case of Watts over extending his credit.

I should have suspected something when every time I asked someone supposedly in the know about the campaign and how much was going towards athletics/football & kept getting evasive answers.03-banghead They had no intention of putting a (bleeping) penny towards athletics or the football program.
11-25-2014 07:26 PM
Advertisement

BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
The ironic thing is that all of our suggested ways "to get back at the BOT" are things that hurt funding for UAB. Not one dime will be cut away from the Tuscaloosa campus according to what has been proposed here.

I'm reminded of the Drummond offer to pay $1 million to each school if UAB and Bama agreed to play a football game at either school. UAB was the only school to agree. Bama was not out a penny because one million is just "petty cash" in their Athletic Department which harvests hundreds of millions every year (which is why they have been able to spend $200,000 per athlete annually since 2008). Drummond's offer might have meant more had he said the $2 million would go to the school that said "YES" if the other refused. as it happened, he got free publicity and spent nothing.

if we want to impact the BOT, a way must be found to file a complaint with the NCAA or SACS that have the power to put the Bama programs on probation as SACS did with Auburn. If no Bama teams can play post season games, that would do something to the BOT's leaders.
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2014 11:47 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
11-25-2014 11:42 PM
Blazer85 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB Blazers
(11-25-2014 11:42 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  The ironic thing is that all of our suggested ways "to get back at the BOT" are things that hurt funding for UAB. Not one dime will be cut away from the Tuscaloosa campus according to what has been proposed here.

I'm reminded of the Drummond offer to pay $1 million to each school if UAB and Bama agreed to play a football game at either school. UAB was the only school to agree. Bama was not out a penny because one million is just "petty cash" in their Athletic Department which harvests hundreds of millions every year (which is why they have been able to spend $200,000 per athlete annually since 2008). Drummond's offer might have meant more had he said the $2 million would go to the school that said "YES" if the other refused. as it happened, he got free publicity and spent nothing.

if we want to impact the BOT, a way must be found to file a complaint with the NCAA or SACS that have the power to put the Bama programs on probation as SACS did with Auburn. If no Bama teams can play post season games, that would do something to the BOT's leaders.

Alabama's success makes this more feasible. There are lots of schools around the SEC and the nation in fact that are fed up with Alabama football in general and would probably be helpful in pursuing such a claim. But we likely need some folks with legal background to assist. And unfortunately Alabama football has a corner on the legal market in this state generally speaking. But this is certainly a reasonable endeavor.
11-26-2014 12:19 AM
Hopeful Offline
Special Teams

(11-25-2014 11:42 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  The ironic thing is that all of our suggested ways "to get back at the BOT" are things that hurt funding for UAB. Not one dime will be cut away from the Tuscaloosa campus according to what has been proposed here.

I'm really starting to think that it may take something of that magnitude for people to really understand the gravity of this issue. That said, I can't in good faith rally for something that will negatively impact the teams and students at Alabama. No matter how I feel about the Board of Trustees, I don't extend my ill will towards Alabama itself.

More than that, I'm discouraged. I initially thought Dr. Watts was trying to accomplish big things here. I went to the State of the University Address. I saw the proposals. I thought they were great ideas. Then this happened. Instead of the enthusiasm I saw in person, my email was met with an automatic e-mail and the response to my concerns came in the form of a letter that basically didn't say anything at all.

I thought we were well on our way. Jimmie Johnson. Dalai Lama. Athletics on a upward swing. New buildings finished, others nearing completion, and even more buildings on the agenda. The constant, uplifting stories and breakthroughs coming from the medical side. I thought that there was a real chance that we could make it to one billion. Then this happened. Now every piece of news feels like an attempt to appease, like they're trying to pacify us in advance of this study.

I hope I just misinterpreted something and that Dr. Watts can't clear this up because he doesn't want to spoil the good news. I wouldn't mind looking stupid if it meant that everything was alright.
11-26-2014 12:42 AM
Matrix Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-26-2014 12:42 AM)Hopeful Wrote:  

I'm really starting to think that it may take something of that magnitude for people to really understand the gravity of this issue. That said, I can't in good faith rally for something that will negatively impact the teams and students at Alabama. No matter how I feel about the Board of Trustees, I don't extend my ill will towards Alabama itself.

More than that, I'm discouraged. I initially thought Dr. Watts was trying to accomplish big things here. I went to the State of the University Address. I saw the proposals. I thought they were great ideas. Then this happened. Instead of the enthusiasm I saw in person, my email was met with an automatic e-mail and the response to my concerns came in the form of a letter that basically didn't say anything at all.

I thought we were well on our way. Jimmie Johnson. Dalai Lama. Athletics on a upward swing. New buildings finished, others nearing completion, and even more buildings on the agenda. The constant, uplifting stories and breakthroughs coming from the medical side. I thought that there was a real chance that we could make it to one billion. Then this happened. Now every piece of news feels like an attempt to appease, like they're trying to pacify us in advance of this study.

I hope I just misinterpreted something and that Dr. Watts can't clear this up because he doesn't want to spoil the good news. I wouldn't mind looking stupid if it meant that everything was alright.

+1 to all of this! #OccupyHattiesburg
11-26-2014 08:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.