Dugan Great get for Bronco BBall
11-18-2014 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
RE: Dugan Great get for Bronco BBall
Saw that. Congrats. Beating out Big Ten teams for a recruit doesn't happen very often in this conference.
11-18-2014 11:32 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear broncojohnny,
Are we supposed to be impressed? Startled? Mortified? Worried? Maybe this was placed on the wrong board.
11-18-2014 11:35 AM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

I Root For: emu
It's always best to be patient and see how the player turns out before getting too excited. But I loved seeing the humilation that smug Perdue fans felt losing a recruit to a MAC school. I've always wondered why they don't feel humilation with players they didn't even recruit, but turned out to be stars.

Years ago EMU basketball Jim Boyce recruited Southfield HS star Mike McCaskill. MSU coach Judd Heathcoat actually turned up at his house and was turned down.

McCaskill was a very athletic small forward. He could jump like crazy. He was a very good player at EMU, but wasn't a star in the sense that Grant Long, Marcus Kennedy and Earl Boykins were. His game was hampered by the slow pace of play that was common during his era in the NCAA.

I hope WMU's recruit is what they expect. It would be good for the league and far more meaningful to EMU to defeat a good WMU team than a mediocre one.
11-18-2014 12:41 PM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

If he really had an offer from Purdue, I want to congratulate him on probably THE dumbest decision he has made in his early life.
11-18-2014 02:39 PM
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I Root For: WMU
I thought you boys might appreciate how to keep an instate kid at home...Spin away Ken old boy.

As far academics I really have bring you people into the 21st. century.. Here are some tidbits of really good Western academic success.

http://www.wmich.edu/news/2014/09/18468
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 04:11 PM by broncojohnny.)
11-18-2014 04:02 PM
Advertisement

broncojohnny Offline
1st String

Here's another gem about WMU.

WMU News

WMU News on Twitter
WMU on U.S. News list of top-tier national universities

Aug. 17, 2010

KALAMAZOO--Western Michigan University is one of just a handful of Michigan universities included in the U.S. News & World Report's new, expanded list of top-tier national universities released today.

The publication's 2011 ranking of more than 1,400 colleges and universities was unveiled at usnews.com and will be available in an Aug. 24 print guidebook on newsstands. WMU remains among the 262 universities--164 public and 98 private--the magazine singles out as having national standing and being among the nation's best. WMU's numerical rank is 179 among the total group, putting it in a tie for 98th place among the nation's public universities.

This is the 20th year WMU has appeared in the magazine's top grouping of "best national universities." This year, the publication expanded its numerically ranked top tier to include more schools. The schools in the bottom 25 percent of the group are listed alphabetically and without ranking as the second tier.

A total of four Michigan public universities are among the schools numerically ranked in the top tier of public and private institutions that is led by Harvard, Princeton and Yale in the top three slots.

Top Tier Michigan Universities
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
Michigan State University
Michigan Technological University
Western Michigan University

Another three Michigan schools appear in the unranked lower tier of "best national universities." They are Central Michigan, Oakland and Wayne State universities. Several other state schools are on the magazine's various lists of top liberal arts schools and regional top master's-level universities and baccalaureate colleges.

WMU was first named to the overall "Best National Universities" list in 1991 and moved up to the third of four tiers on the 1999 list. The new ranking eliminates the four-tier system and moves to two. The widely read U.S. News list is based on 16 criteria, including academic reputation, retention and graduation rates, student/faculty ratios, class size, faculty resources and student test scores.

Earlier this month, WMU was named one of the "Best Midwestern Colleges" by Princeton Review. This is the sixth year the University has been honored with that designation, which was made to 152 schools in 12 states. The list is compiled using institutional data, visits to schools and the opinions of college counselors and advisors. An important element of the selection process is an 80-question student survey.

WMU has an enrollment of some 25,000 students and is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a university with high research activity. The University offers more than 230 degree programs, including 29 at the doctoral level and has regional sites at seven locations around Michigan. The University attracts students from every state in the union and 90 other nations, and its more than 900 faculty members have been trained at some of the world's finest institutions.
More Sharing ServicesShare | Share on email Share on print Share on facebook Share on twitter
11-18-2014 04:10 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Who said anything about academics? This was a thread about a basketball recruit. Now you just look like you're trolling. Again, congrats on the big commit. Purdue fans were pretty smug when they came to Ypsi and watched their team lose a couple years ago, so it's fun to see them lose to the MAC again, in a sense. Don't go off base though.
(This post was last modified: 11-18-2014 04:30 PM by EagleSam.)
11-18-2014 04:28 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

No matter how smug, arrogant and self-infatuated alumni become, they'll never match the uofm. I guess you're stuck being number two johnny.
11-18-2014 05:31 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

(11-18-2014 02:39 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  If he really had an offer from Purdue, I want to congratulate him on probably THE dumbest decision he has made in his early life.

Suppose Ben Rothlesburger had taken an OSU offer? They wanted him to play TE. He may be working some crappy office job or on a construction crew.
11-18-2014 05:33 PM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(11-18-2014 05:33 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(11-18-2014 02:39 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  If he really had an offer from Purdue, I want to congratulate him on probably THE dumbest decision he has made in his early life.

Suppose Ben Rothlesburger had taken an OSU offer? They wanted him to play TE. He may be working some crappy office job or on a construction crew.

Statistically, you have a way better chance at making pro through the Big Ten than the MAC. I would also take the connections that Purdue's coach has over WMU's anytime of the day along with the alumni base. Will this kid be the next Rothelsburger ? I am 99.9% that he will be not. So a dumb decision in my opinon, but hey let the kid live it first until he realizes that.
11-18-2014 06:13 PM
Advertisement

Ubish Offline
All American

(11-18-2014 06:13 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  Statistically, you have a way better chance at making pro through the Big Ten than the MAC. I would also take the connections that Purdue's coach has over WMU's anytime of the day along with the alumni base. Will this kid be the next Rothelsburger ? I am 99.9% that he will be not. So a dumb decision in my opinon, but hey let the kid live it first until he realizes that.

If he is a pro player the NBA will find him. p5 schools get more players in the pros because they recruit more pro players than "midmajor" schools
11-18-2014 07:29 PM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(11-18-2014 07:29 PM)Ubish Wrote:  
(11-18-2014 06:13 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  Statistically, you have a way better chance at making pro through the Big Ten than the MAC. I would also take the connections that Purdue's coach has over WMU's anytime of the day along with the alumni base. Will this kid be the next Rothelsburger ? I am 99.9% that he will be not. So a dumb decision in my opinon, but hey let the kid live it first until he realizes that.

If he is a pro player the NBA will find him. p5 schools get more players in the pros because they recruit more pro players than "midmajor" schools

Ok, but if you are a kid who desires to one day be in the NBA, do you go play in the conference that is home to multiple NBA prospects or you play in the conference that is LUCKY to have A player drafted.

I do not know what his other considered factors were, but if I were a kid who wanted to one day maybe be in the NBA, I pick a school that is known for its basketball program (however down it is its still better than every single MAC team). The competition will only make me better, and if I can't beat out a guy into a starting five at Purdue I probably won't make too much of a pro.
11-18-2014 07:47 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I'm sure their angle was, "Hey, we just put a 7 footer in the NBA and we see a lot of similar attributes in you."
11-18-2014 11:01 PM
ljmhurons Offline
1st String

(11-18-2014 06:13 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  

Statistically, you have a way better chance at making pro through the Big Ten than the MAC. I would also take the connections that Purdue's coach has over WMU's anytime of the day along with the alumni base. Will this kid be the next Rothelsburger ? I am 99.9% that he will be not. So a dumb decision in my opinon, but hey let the kid live it first until he realizes that.

That stat has no application to to an individual. Players get to the NBA on their own merit.
11-18-2014 11:58 PM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(11-18-2014 11:58 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(11-18-2014 06:13 PM)realistEagle Wrote:  

That stat has no application to to an individual. Players get to the NBA on their own merit.

Huh ? The best players want to play in the best conferences. Do you remember the last time someone got drafted from the MAC ? If you are not playing in one of the major conferences you better have a back up plan because your chance at making it is very slim. And you Europe isn't any better, ask GBIII, Bowdry, Riley, Dobbins, Lampley and others. All very good MAC players but that is just not good enough.
11-19-2014 12:22 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Guys, if we want to talk MAC basketball and recruiting, WMU just 'recruited over' Dieng, the 7 footer who was sought by (EMU) posters on this board.

Dieng is kind of a very tall, very thin 'prospect' (not using the word negatively).

Dugan I believe is pretty polished for a 6' 11" MAC recruit and might be one of the best MAC best men prospects in years.
11-19-2014 05:50 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

Of course we offered Dugan and he chose WMU over EMU.

RE WMU academics but EMU won the Cartwright Award an wonderful achievement.

EMU hoops has made great academic progress from the trainwreck Jim Boone left it. Ramsey inherited a raw deal including scholarship restrictions. To Ramsey's credit he left it much better for Murphy.
11-19-2014 07:56 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

If you guys want to brag about a great EMU recruit too, just wait for Murphy to bring one in...oh wait. Don't piss on WMU'S parade. Who was EMU'S last high profile HS recruit, Theron Wilson?

This argument that it's tougher to make it to the NBA from the MAC is total BS! Like someone else posted, if you can play, they will find you from anywhere in the freakin' world. Uh sorry Damian Lillard, you went to Weber State, we're not interested...how stupid.

Fact: WMU is killing us in recruiting and probably always will. Deal with it and find a way to beat them where it counts: on the court and field.
11-19-2014 08:06 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(11-19-2014 08:06 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  If you guys want to brag about a great EMU recruit too, just wait for Murphy to bring one in...oh wait. Don't piss on WMU'S parade. Who was EMU'S last high profile HS recruit, Theron Wilson?

This argument that it's tougher to make it to the NBA from the MAC is total BS! Like someone else posted, if you can play, they will find you from anywhere in the freakin' world. Uh sorry Damian Lillard, you went to Weber State, we're not interested...how stupid.

Fact: WMU is killing us in recruiting and probably always will. Deal with it and find a way to beat them where it counts: on the court and field.

Ray Lee was a Rivals 150 recruit with better offers than Dugan had. Granted, the circumstances were a bit different for Lee (we were definitely his fallback after he screwed up in high school), but still, I'd say that's a high profile recruit. It's starting to show on the court too.

This is an EMU forum. If any of us wanted to talk about WMU recruiting, we could go to the WMU forum. Sounds like you're a big fan, maybe you should check it out.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2014 08:13 AM by EagleSam.)
11-19-2014 08:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.