Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

One Way Rivalry Game?
Bookmark and Share
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
One Way Rivalry Game?
Any other MAC teams have a "rivalry" where only 1 team thinks it is?

My example would be EMU-CMU. Nobody at CMU thinks EMU is a rivalry. It's the same things as CMU calling MSU a rival. It's just an in state foe.
10-29-2014 02:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: One Way Rivalry Game?
(10-29-2014 02:30 PM)george14 Wrote:  Any other MAC teams have a "rivalry" where only 1 team thinks it is?

My example would be EMU-CMU. Nobody at CMU thinks EMU is a rivalry. It's the same things as CMU calling MSU a rival. It's just an in state foe.

NIU acts as if Toledo is our biggest rival but Toledo obviously does not take it the same way.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 02:40 PM by RedandBlackAttack.)
10-29-2014 02:40 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
(10-29-2014 02:30 PM)george14 Wrote:  It's the same things as CMU calling MSU a rival.

Apparently, your biggest rival is the English language.

It really isn't the "same things" as CMU calling MSU a rival, because you two aren't in the same conference. But if it helps you sleep at night, then sure. We aren't rivals.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 04:05 PM by EagleSam.)
10-29-2014 04:03 PM
pennies4everybody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball U
Out of conference, BSU has been like that with Butler in basketball for the last decade (obvious due to the trajectory of both teams during that period). Probably with TSIB in football, especially after the Cards beat the Hoosiers the last three times.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 04:06 PM by pennies4everybody.)
10-29-2014 04:05 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I Root For: WMU
I know the EMU fans will come out of the woodwork for this, but...WMU-EMU

Honestly they get fired up for the in-state MAC foe games, which is great for them, but WMU and CMU are the real rivals. I don't think anyone from WMU or CMU really cares about EMU one way or the other.
10-29-2014 08:18 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2014 08:18 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I know the EMU fans will come out of the woodwork for this, but...WMU-EMU

Honestly they get fired up for the in-state MAC foe games, which is great for them, but WMU and CMU are the real rivals. I don't think anyone from WMU or CMU really cares about EMU one way or the other.

Perhaps you should, since we've beat you three years in a row. CMU is 5-4 against us since 2005. The three of us play for a "trophy" every year. Kinda odd for your guys to thumb your nose.
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 08:41 PM by EagleSam.)
10-29-2014 08:39 PM
Advertisement

thanksjim Offline
All American

I Root For: KSU
Kent State's best rival would have to be against themselves.
10-29-2014 08:52 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
(10-29-2014 04:03 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(10-29-2014 02:30 PM)george14 Wrote:  It's the same things as CMU calling MSU a rival.

It really isn't the "same things" as CMU calling MSU a rival, because you two aren't in the same conference. But if it helps you sleep at night, then sure. We aren't rivals.

Wow, we have a winner. One who will resort to a typo to try and prove a point. That's cute.

CMU also plays in the conference, actually, the same division as Toledo. Toledo is only about an hour or so away from Ypsilanti, therefore, Toledo is just as big of a rival?

Come on now. You understood my point. It was to say only people from one school view it as a rival. Many CMU fans call MSU a rival, they are not at all. At one point the series was 4-3 in favor of MSU.......even though it was competitive, still not a rivalry. Nice job even fudging the stats to go back 9 years to make the CMU-EMU "rivalry" seem competitive. It is a blowout in CMU's favor.
10-29-2014 08:54 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

Re: RE: One Way Rivalry Game?
(10-29-2014 08:18 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  I know the EMU fans will come out of the woodwork for this, but...WMU-EMU

Then why do so many WMU read our box score for attendence?
10-29-2014 09:00 PM
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
For a while, I would argue that Miami-OU wasn't considered that big of a rivalry in Oxford since we had UC to worry about and the Bobcats generally sucked. After 2005, we were leading the Battle of the Bricks football series 51-29-2 until OU started winning under Solich, they've taken seven of eight since.
10-29-2014 09:01 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

(10-29-2014 08:39 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

Perhaps you should, since we've beat you three years in a row. CMU is 5-4 against us since 2005. The three of us play for a "trophy" every year. Kinda odd for your guys to thumb your nose.

As I said, EMU gets up for the in-state games and has had recent success, but ask anyone on the WMU and CMU campuses who the rival is. Not one person will say EMU. But if you ask EMU fans/students, they will say WMU or CMU.

Like I said, one-sided rivalry.
10-29-2014 09:02 PM
Advertisement

ColinApocalypse Offline

(10-29-2014 09:00 PM)masttg Wrote:  

"so many" as in 1 or 2?

Lighten up, Francis.
10-29-2014 09:03 PM
masttg Offline
1st String

Re: RE: One Way Rivalry Game?
(10-29-2014 09:03 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(10-29-2014 09:00 PM)masttg Wrote:  

"so many" as in 1 or 2?

Lighten up, Francis.
Sure thing Pee-Wee
10-29-2014 09:05 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Why is is impossible for a team to have two rivals? Anecdotally, I have friends from CMU who refer to us as 'a' rival, with Western being their primary rival. Also, whenever I check out CM-Life before or after a game, they refer to us as a rival.
10-29-2014 09:15 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2014 08:54 PM)george14 Wrote:  

Wow, we have a winner. One who will resort to a typo to try and prove a point. That's cute.

CMU also plays in the conference, actually, the same division as Toledo. Toledo is only about an hour or so away from Ypsilanti, therefore, Toledo is just as big of a rival?

Come on now. You understood my point. It was to say only people from one school view it as a rival. Many CMU fans call MSU a rival, they are not at all. At one point the series was 4-3 in favor of MSU.......even though it was competitive, still not a rivalry. Nice job even fudging the stats to go back 9 years to make the CMU-EMU "rivalry" seem competitive. It is a blowout in CMU's favor.

A condescending post deserves a condescending response. It wasn't "proving my point". You just set yourself up for it.

Again, whatever makes you feel better as a fan. Rivalries are mostly fan-driven anyway. I just find it funny when CMU and WMU thumb their noses at us when we've been pretty competitive with them in both sports in recent years.
10-29-2014 09:24 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(10-29-2014 09:02 PM)ColinApocalypse Wrote:  
(10-29-2014 08:39 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  

As I said, EMU gets up for the in-state games and has had recent success, but ask anyone on the WMU and CMU campuses who the rival is. Not one person will say EMU. But if you ask EMU fans/students, they will say WMU or CMU.

Like I said, one-sided rivalry.

So your players don't "get up" for games against EMU? If you say so.
10-29-2014 09:26 PM
Advertisement

perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
(10-29-2014 09:01 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  For a while, I would argue that Miami-OU wasn't considered that big of a rivalry in Oxford since we had UC to worry about and the Bobcats generally sucked. After 2005, we were leading the Battle of the Bricks football series 51-29-2 until OU started winning under Solich, they've taken seven of eight since.

I would say that since the script has flipped attitudes have remained the same- Ohio fans and players enjoy the rivalry while Miami fans are too cool to care.

Buffalo fans can correct me if I'm wrong but I get a sense that some Buffalo fans view Ohio as a rival more so than vice versa.
10-29-2014 09:30 PM
EMU03' Offline
2nd String

(10-29-2014 08:54 PM)george14 Wrote:  

I think the point of your original passive aggressive post was to infer that CMU is somehow superior to EMU since you don't consider it a rivalry. The fact of the matter is the two schools have played against each other in football 91 times since 1902. They are in the same state, same conference and in the same division in the conference. They often are recruiting head to head for the same players. EMU has beaten CMU 9 times since 1993, and they are 5-5 in the last 10 meetings. A key characteristic of a rivalry is antagonism toward the opposition, which you clearly have shown toward EMU.

If CMU and WMU are mutually exclusive rivals from their perspective then it is your loss since rivalries bring a richness to collegiate athletics (see UofM vs. MSU, OSU, Notre Dame).
(This post was last modified: 10-29-2014 09:35 PM by EMU03'.)
10-29-2014 09:30 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

Enos considers us a rival. He even called it a "big rivalry."

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-...n-dan-enos
10-29-2014 09:39 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

Sure, EMU is considered a secondary rival, but I would argue they are no more a rival than other MAC West team.
10-29-2014 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.