Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Second practice report
Bookmark and Share
mat1992 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Towson
Second practice report
This will probably be my last report until they face Slippery Rock in their only exhibition game on Nov. 7 at 8pm.

The first bit of news was that Alex Gavrilovic was back after missing the first few weeks with a fractured left hand. He did wear a brace on his non-shooting hand so that hampered him a little bit, shooting-wise.

Gavrilovic just knows how to play the game. He'll be great as a screener because he can roll or pick and pop. He's a good enough shooter where he can play with Foster as a 4-man and play that stretch 4. I had him for eight rebounds and two blocks but also four turnovers. He also had eight points in their two 20-minute scrimmages. He played well considering he had just started practicing on Thursday. He's not a great post up player and could use a jump hook. Better facing the basket, but he has legit size at around 6-10, 240.

As I mentioned in my last report, I thought T.J. struggled with his shot and then found out he had a sprained left thumb. They played the scrimmage as if they were two games so the last two minutes lasted 20 (so I had to split at the end). TJ had 12 points, five boards, two assists and two turnovers. I'd still like to see him near the basket to get some offensive rebounds. He's not a perfect stretch 4 but he did hit a three, but most of his game is about driving to the basket off the bounce and when it's not there, he's looking for the open man.

Rough scrimmage for Four McGlynn. He shot poorly from 3, he drove to the basket and couldn't finish and he turned it over. I had him four just 2 of 11. Again, he gets down on himself a little too much but not quite as much this scrimmage. The problem with the 2 spot right now is that there isn't a lot of competition. They don't have a 2 ready to take his place. Freshman Jordan McNeill was out and I'm assuming he might be redshirted this season. He's on the thin side but kid can really shoot it.

Another option is to go with an all point guard backcourt of Josh Ivory and Byron Hawkins. Neither played great at the point, though both shot it pretty well. I had Ivory making 4 of 5 from deep but his decision-making wasn't great. I still think he's a better option because he defends well and it's a luxury to have him shoot it well. He's not bad but he doesn't have a lot of lateral quickness in terms of breaking his man off the dribble and getting to the cup. I did have him for 4 turnovers today.

Hawkins had an up-and-down scrimmage. He did shoot it better, making 4 of 9 and was 5 of 6 form the line. He also had five turnovers with a couple of assists. He did hit a three and isn't shy about jacking them up. His future is bright but he needs to clean up a few things before he can start.

A.J. Astroth struggled nearly as much as McGlynn, until he finished strong with two three's in the 2nd scrimmage. He was tentative early on and was benched for not hustling and other things. He's not an overly aggressive guy and his jumper is not as smooth as Four's. I'd like to see him be more aggressive in taking it to the hole. He could be pushing for the 2 spot and had a chance at the 3 spot but...

John Davis is playing too well. He wasn't great today. I thought he wasn't involved in 2nd scrimmage but did finish with 19 points and six rebounds. He brings a toughness that some of the young guys and Astroth just doesn't possess. This is a much more skilled team than last year, but they are missing that Guthrie toughness, that Damas D, that Burwell steadiness and of JB's star power. They don't have a star. That guy is sitting out this year and his name is William Moto. He didn't have a very good game today but still ended with 13 points and a handful of rebounds and a steal. He'll get his points even his shot is off because he gets to the line.

Walt Foster is playing great. He had 13 points and about 6 boards. Made every shot but one and is blocking shots. You can't ask for a lot better and I think he'll be rewarded with at least 15 minutes if not 20 per game.

I do like freshman Eddie Keith. He has real hoops IQ and plays a nice floor game. He even dished out 4 or 5 assists and played some point guard at around 6-5, 220. His shot is a little quirky and he can post up smaller guys with his strength.

Mike Morsell doesn't shoot it well from deep. He had just five points but his defense will get him on the floor this year and he plays hard.

All in all, I'd like to see this team one more time in their ex. game before they open the year. I think they'll rotate TJ, Alex and Walt up front. JD (John Davis) can play some 4 and I could see him getting 30+ minutes. His jumper needs work but he's going to put up numbers every game because he runs the floor and is tough. He can also post up smaller 3's at 6-4, 225. They have to watch it with Alex and his injury issues, that he had some stuff at Dayton as well. He's probably good for 25mpg with Walt and Flash splitting the other 15mpg. TJ will play at least 30mpg and probably 35.

The backcourt is a mystery. I think it will be Ivory and Four to open up. Hawkins and Astroth on the bench. Astroth can come in at the 2 and 3. He should get up 20mpg though he has to play better and more aggressively. Hawkins will probably start at some point. This is a very much an unfinished product.
10-26-2014 03:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Park Playa Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Towsons
RE: Second practice report
Thanks for the update.
10-27-2014 06:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.