Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are you freaking kidding me??!
Bookmark and Share
LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

End Zone Cell Phone Call Draws Penalty

12/15/03

NEW ORLEANS (AP) - Joe Horn had just caught his second touchdown pass of the game, and wanted nothing more than to talk to his family. So he tried to call them - from the end zone.

"I had told my kids to be at home, watching the game, and I told my momma, `Mom, if I score the second one, I'm going to get my cell phone out,'" Horn said.

The New Orleans receiver did just that. After catching the second of four touchdown passes in a 45-7 win over the New York Giants on Sunday night, Horn was handed a flip-phone by teammate Michael Lewis, who pulled it out from under the padding used to protect the goal post.

Horn was still wearing his helmet when he punched in numbers, put the phone to the earhole and began speaking into it for a few seconds.

It was a surprising celebration, reminiscent of San Francisco's Terrell Owens pulling a pen from his sock after scoring a TD against Seattle last season, signing the ball and handing it to his financial consultant seated in a nearby suite.

Just like Owens' antics, Horn's drew criticism.

"You don't do stuff like that," New Orleans coach Jim Haslett said after the game. "I know it was premeditated. I know it was national television. But you don't do it."

However, Haslett said he would not fine the receiver, who finished with nine catches for 119 yards.

"I have great respect for Joe Horn, but that's not original," New York defensive end Michael Strahan said. "Terrell Owens already beat everybody to that stuff. That's bush league."

After calling his mother, Horn ran back to the bench. The chat drew a 15-yard penalty and a tongue-lashing from Haslett, who was angry about the celebration's effect on the Saints' field position.

"I was just bringing excitement to the nation watching Sunday night football," said Horn, who refused to say how he had hidden the phone. "I hope they enjoyed it at my expense, but it was worth it."

Horn also pledged to pay any fine that could be levied against Lewis, who was not supposed to be part of the prank.

Horn drew Haslett's ire earlier this season when, after scoring against Atlanta Oct. 19, Horn pretended to machine gun two teammates, who fell to the ground in the end zone.

"It was the same thing in Atlanta," Haslett said. "He'll learn. He's only 32."

Earlier Sunday, Cincinnati receiver Chad Johnson mugged for the cameras. After his 10-yard touchdown catch on the Bengals' first possession, he ran out of the end zone and retrieved a preprinted sign stored behind a snow drift.

Johnson, who has repeatedly been fined by the league for uniform violations and touchdown celebrations, held up the sign that read: "Dear NFL: Please don't fine me again."

Horn was less demonstrative after his subsequent touchdowns. After a 7-yard scoring catch in the third quarter, he presented the ball to quarterback Aaron Brooks and hugged him. In the fourth, Horn did a short victory dance after his 18-yard catch for a score.

Will somebody tell these a-holes to act like they've been in the endzone before??
12-15-2003 08:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

10MAN Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Crappies

I find myself agreeing with Strahan here, in that it just wasn't original and it bothered me that he did that last night. Maybe I'm being a bit hypocritical, but for some reason, T Owens' antics don't seem to bother me as much, maybe because of the originality factor. I was watching that last night and I couldn't believe that I was seeing what I was seeing. It was so bad I felt embarrassed for Horn, even though I'm not even a big fan of his in the first place. It was bad, real bad. However, and don't ask me why, but I can tolerate that from T.O. In fact, I kind of look forward to seeing what he did on sportscenter every Sunday evening, maybe because he is the creator of all these unorthodox after-TD methods. But all in all it's still taunting and show-boating.

At any rate, I agree with you, LR. These overgrown, overpaid, immature punks need to just give the ball to the ref after a score, that would impress the hell out of me, you know? Emmitt style.

On a sidenote, this is the funniest quote from that article, LR:
Quote:"It was the same thing in Atlanta," Haslett said. "He'll learn. He's only 32."

Huh? It takes being older than 32 to know the difference between being a total ******* and playing with class? That statement is unbelievably hilarious to me.
12-15-2003 11:55 PM
EricBlairReb Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

I do agree with you guys with the "Horn on the horn" celebration. It was in bad taste. Especially since the TD only put us up 17-7 and along with the fact that we are just a 7 win ball club right now. That kind of crap is generally a little more acceptable from winning programs. I've sort of lost some respect for Joe Horn because of it. Sure, he is a trash talker and sheat stirrer. However, he's always come out on the feild and made plays. I addition, he plays injured frequently and has no qualms about sacrificing his body to make a catch (unlike most receivers in the pros). He plays with a great deal of heart and intensity. He truly wants to win and he is what they call a "gamer". I like him for all of these qualities but, like I said, I've lost some of the respect I have for him.

Deuce would NEVER pull that crap. 03-puke
12-16-2003 07:37 AM
Rebel_Rx Offline
All American

I Root For:
Crappies

10MAN Wrote:On a sidenote, this is the funniest quote from that article, LR:
Quote:"It was the same thing in Atlanta," Haslett said. "He'll learn. He's only 32."

Huh? It takes being older than 32 to know the difference between being a total ******* and playing with class? That statement is unbelievably hilarious to me.
EXACTLY 10. They need to just find the ref as quickly as possible and give him the friggin ball. Even if they don't like it, kids look up to that crap. And........if I ever have kids....I'd beat the crap out of one of them if they pulled a stunt like that. Let your game do the talking. (pun intended)
12-16-2003 10:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

got that right RX. my son had never pull any of that BS. It'll get ugly quick around my house!
12-16-2003 11:17 AM
SouthLink02 Offline
1st String

I Root For:

LOL, I thought it was hilarious and funny. Dont see anything wrong with it as long as others continue to do ridiculous stuff as well
12-16-2003 01:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
OleRebel Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For:

I don't mind the dancing in the endzone but antics like Sunday night was a bit too much.

If it gets out of hand, pro football could become the same level as pro wrestling. :mad:
12-16-2003 02:11 PM
Advertisement

LRRebel Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I thought that 'he's only 32' quote from Haslett was unreal, too, 10...

Maybe he's only 12, but 32?!

Hilarious. 03-lol
12-16-2003 02:35 PM
KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

I think the subject and responses in this thread illustrate some larger, more philosophical issues about our society and culture.

We Americans love sport. We love it so much we cram ourselves into arenas, drink heavily, eat too much and then we all defecate together in public restrooms with other crazy fans.

Now think about this: Joe Horn wouldn't call folks and other players wouldn't dance in the endzone if no one watched the game. If no fans were present, they wouldn't act as they do after a touchdown.

By the time a player reaches the NFL, they have been in the spotlight since probably the eighth grade. Covering H.S. sports here in central MS, I see that almost every team has one or two players that does everything. It is players like that who will go on to the NFL someday.
These players are accostomed to being watched and some of these players enjoy that aspect of the game. They like being placed upon a pedestal, passed in school because they got game, given SUV's while playing college ball because they can run or throw or catch.

Fact is, we place so much emphasis on sports (even at younger and younger ages) by the time someone is 32 and been playing ball all their lives, it is the only thing they know. They might even think sports is all there is to life. And, by the time the reach the pro level, there's so many dollars being thrown around that it is understandable that they act as they do.

Also, consider the fact that NFL football players are treated like commodities, not individuals. Perhaps they gain some of their individuality back by acting nutty after a touchdown?

Gist of this post, we place too much importance on that which is relatively unimportant, sports.
12-17-2003 11:45 AM
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

damn dio...who rammed the pole up your butt? :D joking man, lots of truth to what you said.
12-17-2003 11:56 AM
Advertisement

KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

What the heck?

People, we are involved in a war and we are worried about jokers making phone calls after scoring a touchdown?
12-17-2003 12:57 PM
USMC Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Folding@NCAAbbsCrappies

agree completely, just funnin with you a little.
12-17-2003 01:00 PM
EricBlairReb Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:

KlutzDio I Wrote:What the heck?

People, we are involved in a war and we are worried about jokers making phone calls after scoring a touchdown?
I don't see what the big deal is either. It's made too much national news so far. The guy just got fined 30 large and almost got a 2 game suspension (owner, Tom Benson, apparently sweet talked them out of the suspension). Hell, criminals get out of jail cheaper than that. It's obvious that the NFL higher ups want to set an example in order to keep it from happening again.
12-17-2003 03:21 PM
Advertisement

KlutzDio I Offline
1st String

I Root For:

Yeah-ah, they are setting an example alright.

Remember the perpetually injured Jim McMahon back in the Bears' Super Bowl season of '85? McMahon sported all of these crazy head-bands with messages written on them. It caused a stir somewhat among the NFL suits, but McMahon was never fined.

I think they are coming down on these NFL stars because they are black. Horn wasn't the only one fined this week, some dude who plays for Cincy held up a posterboard sign that said, "please don't fine me for this, NFL." He was fined and he's black.

The last thing the NFL wants is uppity black players who dance and can make a phone call anytime of the game! 03-lol
12-17-2003 04:31 PM
REBstill Offline
All American

I Root For:

I thought it was pretty funny....maybe I'm cutting him some slack because I like Horn. I don't like Terrell Owen but I didn't mind him either. I guess I've gotten so used to seeing all that crap. I agree "they ought to get over themselves". Did any of ya'll see Boo Williams when he score a couple of weeks ago? He put his hands behind his back and acted like he was being arrested - now I did think that was funny.

What I really do hate is when a team is getting torched and their linebacker makes a tackle and starts strutting around like he just won the Super Bowl.

Again, I tolerate more from a player or team if it's someone I like.
12-18-2003 10:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.