Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting take on UNCW situation from Mason message board
Bookmark and Share
70shawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Brandon University
Interesting take on UNCW situation from Mason message board
Much discussion at GMU about Coach Paul Hewitt, who has been underwhelming in his tenure there. Extend his contract? Make a change? What to do...

One poster thought that the UNCW experience was a cautionary tale of how things could go wrong for them:

"Playing devil's advocate, who's to say we don't pull a UNCW?

They screwed up originally by not paying big to keep Brownell, then hired a bad replacement in Benny Moss, then got rid of him and hired Buzz Peterson.

Through all those coaching changes, they had numerous kids transfer out, back out of commitments and struggle academically to the point that their APR was among the worst in the nation.

In the process, they turned one of the most-respected mid-major programs in America into a dumpster fire.

They've now gambled that Kevin Keatts can pull them out of the abyss, but even that is nothing better than a short-term fix because he's gonna bolt as soon as he gets a better offer.

Point is, as hard as it is to fathom, we could conceivably do worse than Hewitt. "

Pretty good summary of the situation here during the Rosemary DePaolo era. The only thing I disagree with is his ' Keatts is a short term fix because he will leave' analysis. Keatts is not going to take the first "better offer" he gets, but he will take a materially better at a high major program eventually - which he will only get if he wins here first. EVERY great coach is going to be offered a significantly better position at some point.

The only way to keep your coach around forever is to have a coach that no one else wants to hire. Like Paul Hewitt....
10-23-2014 05:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Interesting take on UNCW situation from Mason message board
Yeah you can't let the fear of losing a talented young coach keep you from hiring him. Get your program back to winning ways (hopefully) and in a scenario where he wins and leaves you can at least hope he leaves behind a successor and starts a successful coaching tree. Or at the very least makes us an attractive destination again for a quality outside hire.

We screwed up on Benny and Buzz, its true. But with a strong resume that includes a national championship ring, I don't think we could have done much better by hiring Keatts.
10-23-2014 07:54 AM
Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

It's an interesting take except for the "being a short term fix" that is a near sighted take. The goal is once a re-build happens(if indeed it does with Keatts) to be able to continue forward like we did with Wainwright -Brownell etc.... A re-build with him would set us up for future success as long as we choose the right path post Keatts
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 08:12 AM by Seahawkhoops.)
10-23-2014 08:06 AM
jumpinmullet Offline
1st String

I Root For: NA
I have no doubt Keatts will leave if he wins and I have no doubt he will leave if he loses.I think he is here no more than 3 years either way.He WILL take the first offer he gets to move-if he gets one.
10-23-2014 08:12 AM
Advertisement

Seahawkhoops Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-23-2014 08:12 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I have no doubt Keatts will leave if he wins and I have no doubt he will leave if he loses.I think he is here no more than 3 years either way.He WILL take the first offer he gets to move-if he gets one.
I agree, but my point was if he does well and leaves it should set us up well going forward as long as we don't make a similar mistake to the past
10-23-2014 08:28 AM
billthebighawksfan Offline
All American

That is really bad logic, but to be expected from someone not affiliated with the program. Even if Keatts leaves early, he's already accumulated a great deal of talent that will be here for some time. Forget the verbals, the shooter from Jacksonville is a great get and is Jordan Talley/possibly Pugh as well. The scoring PG from Charlotte is a very good player that would have played a great deal this year at Charlotte-kid can also stroke better than 40 percent, like Haywood. They aren't going anywhere after transferrring. If he stays at least 2 years, then they have this huge class with all of the nice 3 star ratings and talent. For example,the kid from Florida can absolutely bomb it with range and is pumped up to go to UNCW. The other 3 are athletic and have skills. It was a terrific hire and the guy already looks like he coaches them up as well and values defense/conditioning.

If he leaves, someone else would love to take over a program that has players and support. Let's just enjoy the ride for now and know that the kids are going to be in shape and play hard. What more can you ask? We haven't had that in a while. I think that he'll be here for at least 2 years regardless. Big time programs like to see a guy build something up on his own from the ground up to be sure that he's their man, but in this 1 minute society anything is possible.
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2014 10:25 PM by billthebighawksfan.)
10-23-2014 09:55 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
Jimmy Bass was intent on putting a program style in place, not just a coach. Something that could be built upon and carried on when coaches leave. The Pitino coaching tree is huge and successful. If we put into place this style of play, and the players who can succeed in this style, we should be able to plug in the next coach with barely a hiccup.

Let's all hope that Keatts is so successful, he is being recruited by major schools throughout the country. However, don't be so sure he isn't willing to forgo the spotlight and bigger paychecks for the comfort of a school(like UNCW), that he really likes. After all, he remained at a HS program for a very long time, despite the fact he had the chance to move up the college ranks.

(10-23-2014 09:55 PM)billthebighawksfan Wrote:  That is really bad logic, but to be expected from someone not affiliated with the program. Even if Keatts leaves early, he's already accumulated a great deal of talent that will be here for some time. Forget the verbals, the shooter from Jacksonville is a great get and is Jordan Talley/possibly Pugh as well. The scoring PG from Charlotte is a very good player that would have played a great deal this year at Charlotte-kid can also stroke better than 40 percent, like Haywood. They aren't going anywhere after transferrring. If he stays at least 2 years, then they have this huge class with all of the nice 3 star ratings and talent. For example,the kid from Florida can absolutely bomb it with range and is pumped up to go to UNCW. The other 3 are athletic and have skills. It was a terrific hire and the guy already looks like he coaches them up as well and values defense/conditioning.

If he leaves, someone else would love to take over a program that has players and support. Let's just enjoy the ride for now and know that the kids are going to be in shape and play hard. What more can you ask? We haven't had that in a while. I think that he'll be here for at least 2 years regardless. Big time programs like to see a guy build something up on his own from the ground up to be sure that he's their man, but in this 1 minute society anything is possible.
10-24-2014 03:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.