Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coach Bailiff getting mentions for SMU and Kansas Openings...
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UH
Coach Bailiff getting mentions for SMU and Kansas Openings...
http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/...g-carousel

Personally I think it is easier to win at Rice than it is SMU or Kansas but it will be interesting to see if David thinks he can win big consistently at Rice. My guess is in many instances the external view of a coach is often better than the internal view because you don't focus as much time on a person's warts. What do you guys think? If the money is equal where would you want to coach? If the money is not equal where would you want to coach?
10-22-2014 11:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
RE: Coach Bailiff getting mentions for SMU and Kansas Openings...
(10-22-2014 11:43 AM)Mademen Wrote:  http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/...g-carousel

Personally I think it is easier to win at Rice than it is SMU or Kansas but it will be interesting to see if David thinks he can win big consistently at Rice. My guess is in many instances the external view of a coach is often better than the internal view because you don't focus as much time on a person's warts. What do you guys think? If the money is equal where would you want to coach? If the money is not equal where would you want to coach?

How unequal?

Offer me $3-4M and I will coach at the University of Northern Alaska.
10-22-2014 11:46 AM
owlsfan Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Kansas, because it is a big-5 conference school. It is not impossible to win football games at Kansas; they were in the Orange Bowl not that long ago. This is I guess inevitable at a school such as Rice (successful coaches here will have offers for better programs), but I sure would hate to lose Bailiff.
10-22-2014 11:50 AM
07owl Offline
All American

He still has a losing record at Rice, which is probably a tough sell...hopefully that will change next year
10-22-2014 11:56 AM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
Kansas I could see. SMU though?
10-22-2014 12:04 PM
Gravy Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
(10-22-2014 11:43 AM)Mademen Wrote:  My guess is in many instances the external view of a coach is often better than the internal view because you don't focus as much time on a person's warts.

This is surely true.
10-22-2014 12:12 PM
Advertisement

Mademen Offline
Special Teams

If you tell me I can make 650K a year, live in a Houston suburb, and have reasonable program expectations, I personally wouldn't ask for more than that. David Bailiff could coach 10 more years at Rice and comfortably have enough money for his children and his children's children.
10-22-2014 12:13 PM
temchugh Offline
1st String

Seems hard to believe he gets any serious looks unless we make the conf championship game. Even then....
10-22-2014 12:48 PM
At Ease Offline
Banned

I Root For: The Rice Owls
(10-22-2014 12:13 PM)Mademen Wrote:  If you tell me I can make 650K a year, live in a Houston suburb, and have reasonable program expectations, I personally wouldn't ask for more than that. David Bailiff could coach 10 more years at Rice and comfortably have enough money for his children and his children's children.

When you consider the compensation and the level of expectations, David certainly has it pretty good here.
10-22-2014 12:57 PM
JSA Online
1st String

I Root For:
(10-22-2014 11:56 AM)07owl Wrote:  He still has a losing record at Rice, which is probably a tough sell...hopefully that will change next year

Temple hired Jerry Berndt.
10-22-2014 01:18 PM
Mademen Offline
Special Teams

(10-22-2014 11:56 AM)07owl Wrote:  He still has a losing record at Rice, which is probably a tough sell...hopefully that will change next year

Todd Graham got the Tulsa job off one 7-6 season at Rice and the Arizona State job off one 6-6 season at Pitt.
10-22-2014 01:27 PM
Advertisement

Barrett Offline
All American

I Root For: Rice, SJS

New Orleans Bowl
(10-22-2014 12:57 PM)At Ease Wrote:  When you consider the compensation and the level of expectations, David certainly has it pretty good here.

I agree with this. Rice is the long-term best bet for someone of Bailiff's talents and temperament and ambitions, in my opinion.
10-22-2014 01:31 PM
robert eubank Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
I'm sure Bailiff is getting more than $650,000. I surely hope so. IMO he deserves a million and that with his own penchant for Rice that should keep him here, which I also hope.
10-22-2014 01:47 PM
07owl Offline
All American

(10-22-2014 01:27 PM)Mademen Wrote:  

Todd Graham got the Tulsa job off one 7-6 season at Rice and the Arizona State job off one 6-6 season at Pitt.

One 7-6 season at Rice was quite the accomplishment at the time.
10-22-2014 01:47 PM
owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
This site has all coaches salaries and Bailiff is at $700K

http://coacheshotseat.com/CoachesHotSeatRanking.htm

As a side, I don't see him going anywhere unless it is something much bigger than either of these. He is from Texas, family/roots now in Houston, and one of his biggest strengths/weaknesses is loyalty. He is loyal to a fault to his staff and have to believe that loyalty now extends to Rice, JK, etc. Would not see him ever doing a Toad and just manage for himself for a few extra $$. That is not his style.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 10:54 PM by owl40.)
10-22-2014 02:07 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
I don't think he'd go to SMU, even for 7 figures. It's not really a step up other than salary and SMU is not significantly 'unique' relative to its AAC peers like Rice so he'd have to come up with a different way to 'win' the recruiting battles in a similar circumstance.

Kansas is a different story because I think he could sell well the cache of a p5 conference to anyone he would otherwise recruit to Rice 'and then some'.

My personal opinion about David is that he knows how to think long term and that he does better than average with what he gets... and that he can out-sell what Rice offers to anyone he wants considering other g5 schools... but that unlike some of his peers in CUSA, he can't recruit everyone. Blend that with the fact that he essentially runs what everyone else does and you get 'upper half' in conference results.

Upper half in conference results would be a MASSIVE upgrade for Kansas.

The reason I keep wanting 'something different' in terms of schemes is because I think that is the only way that we can make the leap from being upper half of a g-5 conference to being 'competent' against the average p-5... or better said, move from being consistently between 80 and 60 to being consistently between 50 and 30. Kansas in the middle of a p5 would be consistently between 50 and 30.

With that in mind, he doesn't go for similar or even modestly more money as he can likely get a decent bump out of us anyway... but for typical p5 money? He could fail and retire... and if he succeeded, he'd be a very wealthy and happy man. I'm not saying he does it because Owl 40 is right about his character... but $2mm+/yr guaranteed for 5-10 years is a lot of money to turn down.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 02:16 PM by Hambone10.)
10-22-2014 02:14 PM
Advertisement

Pimpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice Owls
(10-22-2014 12:04 PM)texd Wrote:  Kansas I could see. SMU though?

My thoughts exactly. SMU may very well be interested in DB, the question is why do some believe he is a credible candidate for SMU? If I had to guess, I would think that DB gets mentioned as a possible SMU candidate because: 1) SMU, at least with Jones, will pay its head coaches, and the belief is that SMU will pay DB more than Rice; and 2) fair or not, there are some pundits who believe that the AAC is a better conference than CUSA (better teams, national appeal, bigger names), so why wouldn't DB want to step up? Remember, the former Big East did send a team to the BCS last year (as part of the expiring BCS deal), and the perception by some, whether warranted or not, is that the AAC is juuuuuust outside the P5 conferences. I definitely don't agree with it, but it is a storyline that is out there and apparently being furthered by the author of that article.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2014 02:44 PM by Pimpa.)
10-22-2014 02:30 PM
Da.Owl Offline
Rs.for.Cars@gmail.com

I Root For: The Rice Owls

Folding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbsNew Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards

With Baliff's recruiting connections in Texas, I can see why SMU would want to chat with him.
10-22-2014 02:41 PM
texd Offline
Weirdly (but seductively) meaty

I Root For: acorns & such

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlCrappiesDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(10-22-2014 02:30 PM)Pimpa Wrote:  

My thoughts exactly. SMU may very well be interested in DB, the question is why do some believe he is a credible candidate for SMU? If I had to guess, I would think that DB gets mentioned as a possible SMU candidate because: 1) SMU, at least with Jones, will pay its head coaches, and the belief is that SMU will pay DB more than Rice; and 2) fair or not, there are some pundits who believe that the AAC is a better conference than CUSA (better teams, national appeal, bigger names), so why wouldn't DB want to step up? Remember, the former Big East did send a team to the BCS last year (as part of the expiring BCS deal), and the perception by some, whether warranted or not, is that the AAC is juuuuuust outside the P5 conferences. I definitely don't agree with it, but it is a storyline that is out there and apparently being furthered by the author of that article.

The thing is, DB does not have the same cachet as JJ had at the time of his hiring. There will be no SMU money men lining up to put up even $1MM for DB, much less JJ numbers. They're gonna want young up-and-comer. A .500ish record coach at a lower tier conference and FCS school isn't going to blow their skirts up.

Not to ignore the Todd Graham argument from Mademen further up ITT, Tulsa was taking TG based on his performance at Tulsa combined with the fact that he didn't completely **** the bed at Rice. I suspect he would have been high on their list with a 5-7 or 4-8 season. And ASU hired him after 6-6 at Pitt, but with a 49-29 overall HC record and only one losing season (5-7 at that) out of 6 seasons as HC.

And 07owl, 7-6 was pretty good that season, given how it started, but that was not at all unusual for teams of that era.
10-22-2014 02:52 PM
texowl2 Offline
All American

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
(10-22-2014 01:18 PM)JSA Wrote:  

Temple hired Jerry Berndt.

The reality is he did a really good job at Penn (that's why we hired him) after landing the job my senior year there. After growing up watching SWC football, watching Penn's brand of Ivy League FB was horrific-we won 4 games in 4 years. Stratford's 78 Texas high school team would have assaulted the Quakers.

But he was clearly out of his element at Rice.
10-22-2014 03:14 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.