Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sun Belt Reprimands Refs
Bookmark and Share
SkullyMaroo Offline

I Root For: South Alabama
Sun Belt Reprimands Refs
Our officials are terrible. We know that. Every year refs are reprimanded and/or suspended. Here is the latest. From GSU @ Louisiana Lafayette game.

http://sunbeltsports.org/news/2014/10/7/...41004.aspx
10-07-2014 05:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geauxcajuns Offline
All American

I Root For: Louisiana
RE: Sun Belt Reprimands Refs
Haha that is all they listed? Louisiana averages 4 penalties a game and yet we had 13 for 100 plus yards. A few were phantom calls, same can be said for GaSt. They were worse than the Lafayette High School Association of refs.
10-07-2014 05:17 PM
CajunFanatico Offline
QDEP

I Root For: Cajuns
That one mistake was the least of that abortion.
10-07-2014 05:17 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(10-07-2014 05:17 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  Haha that is all they listed? Louisiana averages 4 penalties a game and yet we had 13 for 100 plus yards. A few were phantom calls, same can be said for GaSt. They were worse than the Lafayette High School Association of refs.

holding penalties are judgment calls that the NCAA is pushing. Losing track of the down count is a pretty egregious mistake.
10-07-2014 06:09 PM
TrojanNation Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Troy
ULM didn't even get called for a penalty a couple weeks ago when we (Troy) played them a couple weeks ago. We only got called for three. Needless to there were several missed calls both ways that had me pulling my hair out.
10-07-2014 07:42 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
Im still waiting on their apology for taking a TD away from us....the blooming idiots!
10-07-2014 09:14 PM
Advertisement

Klak Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ga Southern
This was ruled no catch, even after replay.

[Image: BzKVZfrCMAAI4yh.jpg:large]

https://twitter.com/gsufans/status/518641173901344768
10-07-2014 10:00 PM
nineoneo Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Them
Do we share some SEC refs, I've seen a couple of refs I've seen do a lot of SEC games during our games this year?
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 10:02 PM by nineoneo.)
10-07-2014 10:01 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(10-07-2014 10:01 PM)nineoneo Wrote:  Do we share some SEC refs, I've seen a couple of refs I've seen do a lot of SEC games during our games this year?

We share the same supervisor of officials, and he handles officials assignments, so it wouldn't shock me at all.
10-07-2014 10:06 PM
Fanof49ASU Online
Heisman

I Root For: stAte
(10-07-2014 10:00 PM)Klak Wrote:  This was ruled no catch, even after replay.

[Image: BzKVZfrCMAAI4yh.jpg:large]

https://twitter.com/gsufans/status/518641173901344768

I'm all for the breast cancer awareness campaign, but dang....those jerseys are just ugly!
10-07-2014 10:52 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-07-2014 10:06 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 10:01 PM)nineoneo Wrote:  Do we share some SEC refs, I've seen a couple of refs I've seen do a lot of SEC games during our games this year?

We share the same supervisor of officials, and he handles officials assignments, so it wouldn't shock me at all.

Yep changed this year. I don't think a lot of our crews this year have worked together much and it is showing.

I like some of the new blood that has come in but in my opinion, the crew that worked AState-ULM was strong at referee, umpire, and head linesman, adequate at line judge and in over their head at back judge, field judge, and side judge.

We had a Sun Belt crew for AState-USU and I thought the Umpire and head linesman was outstanding (I know my buddy BOP isn't a fan of the disconcerting signals call but the D isn't allowed to simulate the QB snap count), the line judge and referee were pretty solid. Field judge was OK and back judge an side judge were middling at best. That group communicated much better than the ULM-AState group.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014 11:21 PM by arkstfan.)
10-07-2014 11:20 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(10-07-2014 11:20 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(10-07-2014 10:06 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Yep changed this year. I don't think a lot of our crews this year have worked together much and it is showing.

I like some of the new blood that has come in but in my opinion, the crew that worked AState-ULM was strong at referee, umpire, and head linesman, adequate at line judge and in over their head at back judge, field judge, and side judge.

We had a Sun Belt crew for AState-USU and I thought the Umpire and head linesman was outstanding (I know my buddy BOP isn't a fan of the disconcerting signals call but the D isn't allowed to simulate the QB snap count), the line judge and referee were pretty solid. Field judge was OK and back judge an side judge were middling at best. That group communicated much better than the ULM-AState group.

Its almost as if they are using the SBC games as a way to test and see if certain officials are SEC ready.
10-07-2014 11:22 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
We do talk about these refs...and there are issues. But it sure seems like in the old SBC days it was a yellow blizzard all the time....but that may have just been us.
10-08-2014 12:41 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(10-08-2014 12:41 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  We do talk about these refs...and there are issues. But it sure seems like in the old SBC days it was a yellow blizzard all the time....but that may have just been us.

A lot of it was us. :(

I sort of go against the grain of most fans in that I don't complain a great deal about officiating. When you start looking at how well average Sun Belt or MAC or even FCS level officials do making calls without the benefit of slow motion having to make an instant judgment watching the action while staying field aware enough to not get plowed over and running along side the action, the officials do a far better job than most will ever give them credit for.

I felt like considering how few people who could be good officials actually pursue it because of the money and time demands that the Belt had built a decent cadre. Yeah we got some fame from the Alamo Bowl mess because the pagers the bowl provided didn't work but no one seemed to notice in January of 2012 that an ACC crew denied the opportunity to get a replay on an NIU fake field goal that the replay showed came up short of a first down because they said the play wasn't reviewable even though the line to gain is absolutely a reviewable play.

A friend with ties to the SEC had told me two years ago that the SEC supervisor of officials maintained a "watch list" of officials that they considered to be potential future SEC officials and said that even though the Sun Belt had 14 fewer guys on assignment list than CUSA that the Sun Belt had nearly twice as many officials on the watch list.

In the long run I think Steve Shaw taking over assignment is a good thing. It makes working the Sun Belt a more obvious path to getting SEC assignments so ambitious officials will want to work Sun Belt games.

In the short-run it has disrupted established crews.

There is a bit of magic or voodoo in assembling good officiating crews.

The first step to officiating is mechanics. Are you where you are supposed to be as the play unfolds, looking at the right place for the right things?

Anyone who is well trained can watch film and judge mechanics.

But putting a crew together is where the voodoo comes in.

You have to have good communication and you want guys who are compatible and that takes some time to figure out.

If the back judge and side judge aren't compatible you can have a receiver on one side of the field getting mugged and not drawing a PI or defensive holding call while the corner covering the other side is getting flagged for incidental contact. If the head linesman and line judge aren't on the same page how a tight end lines up might be deemed legal when he is on the right side of the formation and illegal when he is on the left side if one is calling it a bit tighter than the other.

It took the league about eight years to get consistent on blowing the whistle when forward progress was stopped. There was a lot of unneeded contact against players who had lost forward progress and teams credited with fumbles on plays that should have been blown dead.

I feel like we've had a set back since the change though not as bad as it was up until around 2009. In the various games I've seen in person and the even more I've watched on Sundays on ESPN3 I've seen a number of plays where a player is in grasp, has lost forward progress and no whistle is blown until another defender comes in and hits them. In a few cases (one was AState-ULM) the ball carrier had been picked up and did not have his feet in contact with the turf and the whistle came after a second player struck the ball carrier. The Sun Belt used to be plagued in non-conference play by late hit calls and I felt it was a direct result of league officials being late blowing the play dead. So I'm not happy that we've regressed a bit there.

I still think in the long-term it works out but right now we are behind where we've been the past few years in officiating.
(This post was last modified: 10-08-2014 01:55 AM by arkstfan.)
10-08-2014 01:52 AM
eagleskins Offline
1st String

I Root For: GSU
SEC refs are the worst in the P5. I personally know Penn Wagers. That conference is all about resting on their laurels
10-08-2014 05:38 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(10-08-2014 05:38 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  SEC refs are the worst in the P5. I personally know Penn Wagers. That conference is all about resting on their laurels

This is 100 percent inaccurate
10-08-2014 06:48 AM
Advertisement

ECBrad Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
If you've ever watched a single PAC12 game you will know where the worst refs in the country are.
10-08-2014 08:56 AM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
We thought the refs in the SLC were the worst and now it's the SBC. Every single conference complains about their refs. DOes this mean there are no problems? No. BUt it means that sometimes it's easier ot foucs on the negatives. The refs in this game were truly bad hemce they got punished.
10-08-2014 08:56 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(10-08-2014 06:48 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(10-08-2014 05:38 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  SEC refs are the worst in the P5. I personally know Penn Wagers. That conference is all about resting on their laurels

This is 100 percent inaccurate

You are correct, it was inaccurate.
10-08-2014 09:24 AM
THUNDERStruck73 Offline
Complete Jackass

I Root For: Herd, Our Lady, & Heels
Hey guys...it could be worse...you could have SoCon officials..03-banghead
10-08-2014 09:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.