Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Basketball Notes
Bookmark and Share
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Jmu
Basketball Notes
Season is around the corner.
I've had multiple discussions with people involved and seen for myself,This is by far hardest and most successful offseason Brady has had at JMU.
I am fairy convinced that the product you see on court will Have players giving a lot of effort, especially on defense. Brady is also finally going to press the hell out of teams, which we will need because we don't have a reliable post defender yet.

Final freshman analysis:
Hari-about 6'6 at the most might even be 6'5, at this point definitely not a bruiser or monster in the post, more of a finesse player but very athletic and has a chance to be great offensive and defensive rebounder if he wants to. Good looking catch and shoot release form. I give him a C+ at this point as a rookie.
Sterling-very athletic, very good head on shoulders, basketball iq not completely their yet but once he catches up he will be a steal for Brady. Does a lot of things nation did on court when he was a freshman here.
McLean- I would honestly give him a preferred walk on spot rather than a scholarship, too short and not quick enough to guard or get by avg CAA guards. I've only seen him take about 25 jump shots, but not consistent or reliable shooter yet(thank God Brady is shooting doctor-__-)But causes no problems off court and on court.

We are one solid post player away from being a NCAA tournament team in my opinion. And we should be a dominate team in CAA in 15-16 however Towson and North eastern will be loaded that year too..

We are also one Nation bonehead mistake away from it all coming down this year...let us pray!!!01-ncaabbs
09-30-2014 02:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
RE: Basketball Notes
(09-30-2014 02:31 PM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  Season is around the corner.
I've had multiple discussions with people involved and seen for myself,This is by far hardest and most successful offseason Brady has had at JMU.
I am fairy convinced that the product you see on court will Have players giving a lot of effort, especially on defense. Brady is also finally going to press the hell out of teams, which we will need because we don't have a reliable post defender yet.

Final freshman analysis:
Hari-about 6'6 at the most might even be 6'5, at this point definitely not a bruiser or monster in the post, more of a finesse player but very athletic and has a chance to be great offensive and defensive rebounder if he wants to. Good looking catch and shoot release form. I give him a C+ at this point as a rookie.
Sterling-very athletic, very good head on shoulders, basketball iq not completely their yet but once he catches up he will be a steal for Brady. Does a lot of things nation did on court when he was a freshman here.
McLean- I would honestly give him a preferred walk on spot rather than a scholarship, too short and not quick enough to guard or get by avg CAA guards. I've only seen him take about 25 jump shots, but not consistent or reliable shooter yet(thank God Brady is shooting doctor-__-)But causes no problems off court and on court.

We are one solid post player away from being a NCAA tournament team in my opinion. And we should be a dominate team in CAA in 15-16 however Towson and North eastern will be loaded that year too..

We are also one Nation bonehead mistake away from it all coming down this year...let us pray!!!01-ncaabbs

Great to hear that the squad is practicing hard. Does Dalembert appear to be making any progress? How is Morgan looking?
09-30-2014 02:51 PM
Deez Nuts Offline
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
I might have to go hit this up.

#TeamMatt vs. #TeamKenny Showdown Set for October 9
http://jmusports.com/news/2014/9/22/MBB_...e680e75ca7
09-30-2014 03:39 PM
All Dukes_All Day Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU, Pitt
(09-30-2014 03:39 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  I might have to go hit this up.

#TeamMatt vs. #TeamKenny Showdown Set for October 9
http://jmusports.com/news/2014/9/22/MBB_...e680e75ca7

This is a real cool event. Not cool enough for me to take off work early and drive through crappy traffic on a weekday for, but cool enough to have attended as a student, no doubt.
09-30-2014 03:42 PM
PGJMU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU Dukes
Wasn't it you barkers who said that McLean was the quickest guard we have had in years? If not you, I heard it somewhere

Either way, the squad sounds promising
09-30-2014 08:06 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Basketball Notes
Barkers, any updates on Gray ? Think yoyo will start at center? Of the other sophomores who will contribute most and who's game has improved the most? Best pressing lineup - do you envision a time where we'd see curry nation Sterling hall and yoyo on the court at the same time or would that lineup lack half court offense?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-30-2014 08:16 PM
Advertisement

Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(09-30-2014 08:16 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Barkers, any updates on Gray ? Think yoyo will start at center? Of the other sophomores who will contribute most and who's game has improved the most? Best pressing lineup - do you envision a time where we'd see curry nation Sterling hall and yoyo on the court at the same time or would that lineup lack half court offense?

Gray is probably the best pure shooter on roster, shot is a little unorthodox but it's consistent and has a quick release, at this point all he can really do is shoot, but that's a premium skill in this program, I worry about his ball handling and size/strength when it comes to defending other 2's, he is probably 6'0 maybe 6'1. YOYO has put in a lot in gym, I still don't see him being a go to score but it wouldn't be unrealistic for him to average 8+ on simple post move lay ups, and put backs on hustle plays and running the court. I think he is a reliable defender on average post players. Has to develop secondary post move and not stay clear of foul trouble.

Tom V is no slouch and could get a starting nod, has a very improved shot, good Bball IQ, not athletically gifted but tough defender and player over all.

Lukic has improved his shooting too, and was good at knowing attacking angles last year too, he can contribute in my opinion.
Kent- a little bit stronger, has abandoned the behind the back dumb passes and polished his game a bit. I think he Defintely has height and ability to become all CAA player at some point. If he plays with in himself this year he will be effective and possibly 3rd scoring options.

We have a lot of depth on forwards and wings,and they all play very hard, they can all be good assets depending on how Brady uses them.

As far as that line up, I definetly see it as possible line up because nation and curry have improved shooting and nation has improved handle. Also no Cooke to defer to or try and appease. It's probably our most athletic line up and would cause a lot of mismatches. Sterling can shoot, Hall can shoot if left open. I would even go smaller and stick gray(shooting)in there at 2, sterling at 3/4 and nation at 3/4 with YoYo at 5. Against teams without true bigs.

We have to be in top 20% of most conditioned teams in NCAA I hope Brady really uses it.
09-30-2014 09:59 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Basketball Notes
Good to hear the positive words about the team - maybe some of the roster turnover will end up being a good thing. Let's hope they continue to improve and play hard for the next month and a half leading up to the opener.

10-01-2014 12:05 AM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Good stuff barkers, many thanks.

NOW, when/if it doesn't work out, where do we find you with the pitchforks and torches?!? haha. thx.
10-01-2014 12:10 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2014 12:10 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Good stuff barkers, many thanks.

NOW, when/if it doesn't work out, where do we find you with the pitchforks and torches?!? haha. thx.

Crozet Virginia02-13-banana
10-01-2014 04:06 AM
Dukes84 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(10-01-2014 04:06 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  

I think that's where you'll also find Dukeman.04-jawdrop
10-01-2014 10:40 AM
Advertisement

Dukes84 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Barkers --

What about Paulius Satkus? I thought he played well versus Towson in the CAA tourney, but you don't hear much about him. He seems like a solid player, albeit undersized. And lastly, what about the other Serbian big man that redshirted (Cabarkapa)? He showed some flashes as a shooter in the DE blowout last year. He's the only player on the team with any real size, right? It also sounds like the ceiling on Sterling is higher than that of Hall, which is a bit surprising. Will be tough for Hall to play inside if he's only 6-5. Sounds like a combo forward that may be better suited for the small forward position down the road. Juwann James was probably only 6-5, but he had very long arms (and he did struggle against taller players).
10-01-2014 10:55 AM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(10-01-2014 04:06 AM)Jmubarkers Wrote:  

03-lmfao

solid response. well done. haha
10-01-2014 11:58 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(10-01-2014 10:55 AM)Dukes84 Wrote:  Barkers --

What about Paulius Satkus? I thought he played well versus Towson in the CAA tourney, but you don't hear much about him. He seems like a solid player, albeit undersized. And lastly, what about the other Serbian big man that redshirted (Cabarkapa)? He showed some flashes as a shooter in the DE blowout last year. He's the only player on the team with any real size, right? It also sounds like the ceiling on Sterling is higher than that of Hall, which is a bit surprising. Will be tough for Hall to play inside if he's only 6-5. Sounds like a combo forward that may be better suited for the small forward position down the road. Juwann James was probably only 6-5, but he had very long arms (and he did struggle against taller players).

I will be honest it's very hard to judge satkus by pick up games and work outs, he gets lost in the shuffle a lot. When he is aggressive he is okay, and isn't bad finishing around the rim, I think defensively he isnt athletic enough to guard CAA forwards or bigs. A lot of CAA forwards and bigs are athletic and quick around rim-bennimon, kid from North Eastern, and the 2 from CU, are a few off top of my head.

In my opinion Demetri Cabarkapa is a little like Bessick in the Paint, he likes fadeaways and lacks a true post game, however he is a serviceble shooter for his size and height. His basketball savy has definitely improved and adjusted to american game. I think he will get some minutes and a chance to get into rotation, however at this point I am still taking YOYO, Tom V, or a small line up over him.

Hari Hall has a good wing span and will probably pan out being solid, I forgot to mention that he has only been playing organized ball for 2 years and sum.

I think we definitely have some talent to build on and develop, but besides Brady we really lack a coach that is good at developing talent, especially forwards and bigs. The post work outs I saw them go through last off season were a joke.
10-01-2014 01:31 PM
ShadyP Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
Wish we still had Lou Rowe as an assistant or could get someone on the staff with the skillset he brings.
10-01-2014 01:35 PM
hippityhopps Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
Ive read a lot of things about a lot of players. I will say that barkers is THE ONLY human on the planet who has said Joey McLean is too slow. Ever.
10-02-2014 09:00 PM
Advertisement

bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
Is it just me or does this roster feel a little less prone to the transfer bug than years past? God forbid we keep a bunch of kids through their senior year.
10-02-2014 10:46 PM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(10-02-2014 09:00 PM)hippityhopps Wrote:  Ive read a lot of things about a lot of players. I will say that barkers is THE ONLY human on the planet who has said Joey McLean is too slow. Ever.

Obviously he isn't slow, but for his size and skill set I think he lacks that extra speed to make up for short statue and skill set. He is not in the mold of Humpty and is not much taller than him. Comparison is unfair a bit but that's the only one I could compare to him that we are all familar with. Not knocking the kid, is great kid, just can't count on him to contribute as back up to curry right now.
10-03-2014 12:02 AM
Jmubarkers Offline
2nd String

(10-02-2014 10:46 PM)bjk3047 Wrote:  Is it just me or does this roster feel a little less prone to the transfer bug than years past? God forbid we keep a bunch of kids through their senior year.

On the money, a lot of less egos and it's easier to develop chemistry when your two best players are the older players, Young guys are also more willing to develop and stay hungry knowing that those guys will graduate and they will get their turn. First and foremost the group of guys on roster are hard working guys who get along for most part.
10-03-2014 12:05 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Basketball Notes
Re McLean maybe a game similar to Ned Felton from years past? I think you have as good a chance with this team that someone transfers because they graduate early than for playing time because they're unhappy etc. if they can win and play the right way on the court I could see some good chemistry with this group.

10-03-2014 04:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.