Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Army at Yale
harley93davidson Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: B1G, Bradley
Army at Yale
I know for non traditionalists this game probably means nothing, especially because it was the first time the schools ever played, but i thought Army visiting Yale was pretty cool. Watched the second half and overtime and it was an exciting game. I know it is odd for an fcs school to host an fbs school, and ivies never play fbs opponent either, but I would like to see Army continue to do things like this. Maybe they could host Harvard or a make trip to Penn, that would be really neat, thoughts?
09-27-2014 05:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TomThumb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: stuff
RE: Army at Yale
(09-27-2014 05:39 PM)harley93davidson Wrote:  I know for non traditionalists this game probably means nothing, especially because it was the first time the schools ever played, but i thought Army visiting Yale was pretty cool. Watched the second half and overtime and it was an exciting game. I know it is odd for an fcs school to host an fbs school, and ivies never play fbs opponent either, but I would like to see Army continue to do things like this. Maybe they could host Harvard or a make trip to Penn, that would be really neat, thoughts?

Actually, they used to have a historical rivalry when they were both top teams. Largest crowd ever at the Yale Bowl was around 80,000 for an Army-Yale game in the 1920's.

I think this game was just a one-off for a celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Yale Bowl. To be honest, teams like Army wouldn't stand to gain much playing Ivy League teams and it's embarrassing when they lose.
09-27-2014 06:34 PM
mikeinsec127 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
The Ives don't give scholarships, so beating one doesn't count towards bowl qualifying for a FBS school. So you won't see this happen again anytime soon. The last time I remember any talk of an Ivy playing a FBS school was when the Meadowlands wanted Rutgers to play Princeton to commemorate the 125th anniversary of the first college football game.
09-27-2014 07:02 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
The academies belong in non-scholarship FCS football or D-III (where Coast Guard is). Too much tradition to give up obviously but that's honestly where they belong.
09-27-2014 07:22 PM
HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Offline
The Black Knight of The Deplorables

I Root For: Army, SFU
No, it wasn't cool to play in a FCS stadium. It was embarrassing.

And Houston has no room to talk trash on the service academics.
09-27-2014 08:11 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-27-2014 07:22 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  The academies belong in non-scholarship FCS football or D-III (where Coast Guard is). Too much tradition to give up obviously but that's honestly where they belong.

Besides the Ivy League, what other FCS conferences don't give athletic scholarships? And just because they don't give athletic scholarships does not mean that the Ivy doesn't recruit. They recruit players who they think can stay eligible, even though they wouldn't otherwise qualify academically, and who would qualify for need based financial assistance.
09-27-2014 08:14 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(09-27-2014 08:11 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  No, it wasn't cool to play in a FCS stadium. It was embarrassing.

I wasn't talking trash, I think it makes more sense for the academies to be on that level, heck Army and Navy even play in the Patriot League in everything else. Granted, the PL is no longer non-scholarship but I think the academies have more in common with them.
09-27-2014 08:36 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(09-27-2014 08:14 PM)ken d Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 07:22 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  The academies belong in non-scholarship FCS football or D-III (where Coast Guard is). Too much tradition to give up obviously but that's honestly where they belong.

Besides the Ivy League, what other FCS conferences don't give athletic scholarships? And just because they don't give athletic scholarships does not mean that the Ivy doesn't recruit. They recruit players who they think can stay eligible, even though they wouldn't otherwise qualify academically, and who would qualify for need based financial assistance.

Patriot League and Pioneer League are also FCS leagues without scholarships. Army and Navy are both Patriot League members for Olympic sports, and they'd fit in just fine there for football.
09-27-2014 11:11 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
Sorry, it's a little bit of a joke seeing the guys who protect our country lose to Yale. Those guys will probably be embarrassed about this loss for the rest of the season.

I have all the respect for our cadets, trust me I know personally how stressful ROTC can be. But this was nothing less than embarrassing to see 60+ Army personnel lose to 60+ Yale students in a contest of physical fitness.
(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014 05:43 AM by TrojanCampaign.)
09-28-2014 05:42 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(09-28-2014 05:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Sorry, it's a little bit of a joke seeing the guys who protect our country lose to Yale. Those guys will probably be embarrassed about this loss for the rest of the season.

I have all the respect for our cadets, trust me I know personally how stressful ROTC can be. But this was nothing less than embarrassing to see 60+ Army personnel lose to 60+ Yale students in a contest of physical fitness.

More embarrassing than losing to Abilene Christian?
09-28-2014 08:20 AM
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
Army's entrance requirements put them at a disadvantage to almost everyone, including FCS programs, all of whom can recruit bigger players for their lines.
09-28-2014 08:45 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(09-28-2014 05:42 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  Sorry, it's a little bit of a joke seeing the guys who protect our country lose to Yale. Those guys will probably be embarrassed about this loss for the rest of the season.

Really not good for Army if they lost to Yale. If they stay D1 they should join the Sunbelt or the MAC for FB only or at least make scheduling arrangements with both. Hard to believe how far they have fallen in FB while Navy and Air Force remain respectable at the D1 level. Army should be playing 3 SB teams, 3 MAC teams, UMass, Temple, and mixing in Rutgers, UConn, and BC regionally each year, along with the Navy and Air Force rivalries. The other teams they should be mixing in are Rice, SMU, Wake, Duke and Vandy, along with one and one only FCS team. On top of all of that it sounds like they need another coach who can turn Army around if the current coach can't. Army should at least be able to get back to 5&7, 6&6, or 7&5 seasons.
09-28-2014 08:48 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(09-27-2014 11:11 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 08:14 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Patriot League and Pioneer League are also FCS leagues without scholarships. Army and Navy are both Patriot League members for Olympic sports, and they'd fit in just fine there for football.

Patriot offers them now, rolling to a max of 60, iirc, by next season. But, it allows its schools to set their limit. G-Town, for example, won't offer any, but Fordham's already at the max.

NEC's got a limit of 38.
09-28-2014 10:34 AM
connecticutguy Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UConn
My friends, going back several decades the Army-Yale football game caught the attention of much of the nation. Yale has decided to focus less on football, as has Army, but these are still schools with great traditions. Army also has the added benefit of producing leaders who protect the right for us to comment on this website.
09-28-2014 04:02 PM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(09-28-2014 08:20 AM)ken d Wrote:  

More embarrassing than losing to Abilene Christian?

Not really sure.

You should go ask a real Troy fan about that. Can't even tell you what week that game was played.

But lol Troy is just as much of a joke for losing that game. I would have fired all the coaches.
09-28-2014 04:43 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(09-27-2014 08:36 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(09-27-2014 08:11 PM)HarmonOliphantOberlanderDevine Wrote:  No, it wasn't cool to play in a FCS stadium. It was embarrassing.

I wasn't talking trash, I think it makes more sense for the academies to be on that level, heck Army and Navy even play in the Patriot League in everything else. Granted, the PL is no longer non-scholarship but I think the academies have more in common with them.

The irony of that statement is that Navy has more wins versus BCS teams (and a better winning percentage in those games) than any team in the current AAC other than Cincinnati in the last dozen years. Obviously they do okay for themselves.
09-29-2014 08:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Minutemen429 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UMass
A lot of New Englanders still hang on to the Ivys
09-29-2014 08:57 AM
vandiver49 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USNA/UTK
(09-28-2014 08:45 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  Army's entrance requirements put them at a disadvantage to almost everyone, including FCS programs, all of whom can recruit bigger players for their lines.

Before writing Army off, the nation needs to be clear of ground combat operations for at least a decade.
09-29-2014 10:43 AM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!

I am so sick of this "it's an FCS stadium" talking point.

That "FCS stadium" is one of the most iconic/important football stadiums in college football history. That "FCS stadium" could seat more people than most FBS stadiums.

[Image: Yale_Bowl.jpg]

This was the stadium that directly lead to the Michigan, California, Notre Dame, the Rose Bowl, and the LA Coliseum venues.
09-29-2014 10:55 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
Not to mention a few years ago Indiana played AT UMass, when they were still 1AA. Even worse, it was a buy game.
09-29-2014 12:02 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.