Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Defense......
Bookmark and Share
BusDriver Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
The Defense......
allowed 4.2 yards per carry. They only managed to pick up 3 punts from the BSU Offense for the entire game. Another drive died at the end of the half. Four drives ended with a field goal(one was missed). Two more make it to the end zone. Our D is not good at all in stopping the pass again. The D-Line was not that impressive at stopping the run. They need to step it up, PERIOD. The BSU team is not a good team at all. I really think our coaching staff has far less experience than what is required at this level, and that is our biggest problem. I know there are many Campbell fans out there, but I do not see where the program is improving. It has been on a flat line sideways for the last 5 years. ZERO improvement. Please don't use injuries as our main problem. That is football. Injuries happen every year. Toledo should have blown BSU off the field last night, and that did not happen.
09-21-2014 09:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

adunifon Online
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
The Defense......
Felt like the d couldn't get off the field all night.

Our tackling is a joke as well.
09-21-2014 09:27 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
RE: The Defense......
I appreciate that we are trying to get our best defensive players on the field...unfortunately, they are almost all true linebackers, meaning we go undersized at DE in order to get that talent on the field. We've gotten very little pressure on opposing QBs this season--I believe we have 8 sacks after 4 games, and 3 of those came against New Hampshire? We may be "deep" on the D-line but there is clearly a drop-off in talent when we sub. Ball State has 2 very good running backs, so I wasn't surprised they ran well, but it wAs disappointing to see our D give up so many yards on 3rd down runs to allow the Cardinals to get a first down and keep drives going. We need to start getting more stops on 3rd down.
09-21-2014 09:29 AM
therockets046 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Mud Hens
Tackling was very poor, but it's hard to expect anything better from this program. Ball State was the first team that's been able to run on us at all. Maybe they were just good. Like that we were able to limit the long pass plays, and the penalties. Like that we were able to hold them to FG's and not TD's. Like that we were perfect in the red zone on all drives not ending in victory formation. Not liking the lack of turnovers forced by the defense. Liked the coffin corner punt by Ellis a lot. Otherwise special teams still shaky. Overall some room for improvement but I thought it was a solid performance.
09-21-2014 09:52 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(09-21-2014 09:52 AM)therockets046 Wrote:  Tackling was very poor, but it's hard to expect anything better from this program. Ball State was the first team that's been able to run on us at all. Maybe they were just good. Like that we were able to limit the long pass plays, and the penalties. Like that we were able to hold them to FG's and not TD's. Like that we were perfect in the red zone on all drives not ending in victory formation. Not liking the lack of turnovers forced by the defense. Liked the coffin corner punt by Ellis a lot. Otherwise special teams still shaky. Overall some room for improvement but I thought it was a solid performance.

That punt was outstanding! Special teams play has been puzzling overall--Detmer's stats are taking a hit this season, and Corey Jones alternates between scaring me half to death and then the occasional 30 or 40 yards return.
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2014 10:09 AM by bcunn3128.)
09-21-2014 10:09 AM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Edwards is a tenacious Sr. RB. Another thing is that their team is very well trained at blocking for him. It's not like once he gets past the line of scrimmage he's on his own. Everybody blocks well so there was a shield around him the whole time he had the ball. They ran better against us than I thought they would.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 12:31 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
09-21-2014 10:02 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-21-2014 10:09 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(09-21-2014 09:52 AM)therockets046 Wrote:  Tackling was very poor, but it's hard to expect anything better from this program. Ball State was the first team that's been able to run on us at all. Maybe they were just good. Like that we were able to limit the long pass plays, and the penalties. Like that we were able to hold them to FG's and not TD's. Like that we were perfect in the red zone on all drives not ending in victory formation. Not liking the lack of turnovers forced by the defense. Liked the coffin corner punt by Ellis a lot. Otherwise special teams still shaky. Overall some room for improvement but I thought it was a solid performance.

That punt was outstanding! Special teams play has been puzzling overall--Detmer's stats are taking a hit this season, and Corey Jones alternates between scaring me half to death and then the occasional 30 or 40 yards return.

the placekicking falloff with the new snapper holder team has been the elephant in the room all yr. we've gone from being better than everyone kicking the ball to very average.
09-22-2014 03:42 AM
Terry Offline
All American

I Root For: The Rockets
Whoever was responsible for contain on the left side on running plays was totally missing in action. The back knew to bounce the play out there the entire game.

Another coaching blunder was sending a corner blitz on 3rd & 5, the QB throwing to the receiver he left 6 yards down field, and the safety wasn't in a position to cover the open receiver until the catch and first down were made.
09-22-2014 10:30 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
When was the last time Toledo had a good defense?
09-22-2014 12:00 PM
Advertisement

FrickerRon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo
(09-22-2014 12:00 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  When was the last time Toledo had a good defense?

We made some positive steps on the defense, we will get better as the season goes on. The offense can score at will. Great stable of running backs and Woodside is a true leader out there. I hope all of you, that we are not getting, where at the game last Sat. Watching the game on ESPN3, is not like being at the game.
09-22-2014 12:14 PM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(09-22-2014 12:00 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  When was the last time Toledo had a good defense?

"Good" probably 2004-2005. "Great" 2000-2001.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 12:33 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
09-22-2014 12:33 PM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

I think Ball State has a very nice offense. If Toledo would not have done well on defense, this would have been another loss. BSU's #1 RB is a hard runner. The BSU O-Line contained the corners well, Edwards would get 3-4 yards on his own. Toledo was tackling well, or he would have run all over Toledo. He was a step away from breaking it several times when a nice tackle stopped it leading to Field Goals. BTW - BSU's O-Line is all Jr and So. BSU will remain in contention in the West, basically following Toledo and NIU. It will remain a 3 dog race. Mann has a great arm, makes good decisions, and is a threat to run the ball. He was throwing darts to the marker at the boundary all night (I always admired that quality in Lembo's system). Mann has no problem with a 50 yard pass. BSU is coached well. BSU was executing their game plan, and Toledo beat them vs. BSU beating themselves like Toledo did the prior two weeks. Toledo running all over BSU was a testament to Toledo's O-Line and RBs. Very nice job. Hold your panties on for this statement...the D is doing well, based on what I saw in person Saturday night.[/font]

This was a quality win for Toledo. BSU lead Iowa the entire game except two minutes, over looked a decent ISU team, and took care of Colgate as expected.

I am very happy with the win.
09-22-2014 04:18 PM
toledorocketsfantoo Offline
Water Engineer

(09-21-2014 10:09 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  

For what it is worth, Detmer didn't just "all of a sudden" forget how to kick the ball.03-banghead
09-22-2014 04:36 PM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-22-2014 12:33 PM)Toledo Football 1st Wrote:  

"Good" probably 2004-2005. "Great" 2000-2001.

There is no doubt that the 2000 team played great defense, but I am not sure I would characterize the 2004 defense as "good" although after a rocky start they settled down enough to allow the offense to usually outscore the opponent and UT went on to actually win the MACC, but that rocky start included giving up 63 points in each of their first two games and I think that disqualifies the defense from being called "good".
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2014 05:33 PM by T-Town.)
09-22-2014 05:29 PM
adunifon Online
Heisman

The Defense......
Football is so different than it was 10+ years ago. Aren't many great defenses out there. Best d's out there make people go the length of the field and hinge on forcing turnovers.

Rules are much more slanted towards offense nowadays.

Our d just doesn't force turnovers, which is a big problem if you're gonna get gashed up and down the field.
09-22-2014 09:30 PM
All Rockets All The Time

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
(09-22-2014 05:29 PM)T-Town Wrote:  There is no doubt that the 2000 team played great defense, but I am not sure I would characterize the 2004 defense as "good" although after a rocky start they settled down enough to allow the offense to usually outscore the opponent and UT went on to actually win the MACC, but that rocky start included giving up 63 points in each of their first two games and I think that disqualifies the defense from being called "good".

Yes, I was on hand for the humiliation in Minneapolis, but somehow we managed to win the MACC with that defense, and the in 2005 we won the GMAC. I say that was the last time it was "good" because it went really downhill from there--to a low of 3 wins in 2008.
09-22-2014 10:39 PM
AquaRocket Offline
Special Teams

(09-22-2014 10:30 AM)Terry Wrote:  Whoever was responsible for contain on the left side on running plays was totally missing in action. The back knew to bounce the play out there the entire game.

Another coaching blunder was sending a corner blitz on 3rd & 5, the QB throwing to the receiver he left 6 yards down field, and the safety wasn't in a position to cover the open receiver until the catch and first down were made.
The DE opposite Voss has been pinching all year. Overall, we have a very poor defensive scheme. IMO, this comes down to a lousy coordinator. Why we hired the guy from Purdue totally baffles me!
09-23-2014 05:20 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.