Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Black HS Football Team Taunted With Bananas
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Quote:Players from a New Jersey high school football team with a largely African-American makeup said members of another team taunted them racially before a game this past weekend.

As CBS 2’s Christine Sloan reported, the players said the harassment involved the use of bananas by the opposing Summit High School team as a racially offensive joke.

“It was in the door and you could see through the door, because it didn’t have — no doorknobs – so you could see right through the hole,” said North Plainfield High School football player Anthony Lafond. “And they put the banana right through there.”

The North Plainfield team was set to face off against the Summit team, at Summit High School, at the time.

“Right away, there was a banana in the door,” said North Plainfield football player J.T. Valley. “And we told our coach, we’re like, ‘Coach, there’s a banana in there.’ So we took the banana, and then all of a sudden, they put another one. And we took the banana out, and there was another one in there. And they kept on putting them in there.”

The North Plainfield players said they were so traumatized that their coach had to console them.

“There’s a few tears shed in the locker room,” Valley said.

“Before the game, he gave us, like, a very inspirational and emotional pre-game speech – about how they didn’t show courage or character,” added Lafond.

The Summit High School superintendent said the district has launched an investigation into what it calls “an alleged incident on Saturday.”

Parents and students in the upscale community said what they are hearing is not representative of the school.

“I think that is horrible — I mean, I am stunned, honestly,” said Summit parent Dale Reyer.

“It doesn’t sound like something my school would do — throwing bananas at kids,” said Summit High School junior Samantha Forsyth. “I didn’t even hear this story.”

In North Plainfield, angry parents with kids on the team took to Facebook.

“They were giving a message, unfortunately, to the African-American kids on the team,” said North Plainfield parent Anne Kearney. “Summit really needs to be disciplined for this kind of stuff. Nowadays, what is it 2014? this should not be happening.”

Kearney said similar incidents have “been going on, periodically, on and off,” and “this was the last straw.”

North Plainfield players said the incident has brought them together.

“There’s no race,” Lafond said. “We’re just one color — we’re maroon.”

The New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association usually investigates alleged incidents such as this one. CBS 2 reached out, but was told the media representative for the agency was not in the office.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/09/15/c...h-bananas/

Typical NJ trash.
09-16-2014 07:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BucFyre Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Black HS Football Team Taunted With Bananas
Racism up North??? I thought that only existed down here. /sarcasm

That's effing terrible behavior and inexcusable.
09-16-2014 07:55 AM
CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
Thought all the Libs on this board are always blaming the South for Racism. NJ is hardly a Southern State. A Very Liberal State Actually.
09-16-2014 07:57 AM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
I lived in Filthadelphia for 4 years. There is a lot more white racism in that area, especially in South Jersey, South Philly, and NE Philly, than there is down here. Racism is also very bad in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Boston, and pretty much everywhere ethnically tight Irish and/or Italian communities are prevalent. Down here we pretty much stopped using the 'N' word in the 80s. That is still in the regular vocabulary up there.
09-16-2014 08:12 AM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
09-16-2014 08:19 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
[Image: 11110918.jpg]

These kids now a days a so soft. What you are suppose to do is beat the crap out of the other team then toss a banana at them. Geez!
09-16-2014 09:25 AM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
Racism is alive and well.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-16-2014 09:28 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Yep we saw a black racist firefighter being discussed here yesterday!
09-16-2014 09:29 AM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
People need thicker skin and to not jump to conclusions.
09-16-2014 09:36 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(09-16-2014 08:12 AM)EverRespect Wrote:  I lived in Filthadelphia for 4 years. There is a lot more white racism in that area, especially in South Jersey, South Philly, and NE Philly, than there is down here. Racism is also very bad in Brooklyn, Staten Island, Boston, and pretty much everywhere ethnically tight Irish and/or Italian communities are prevalent. Down here we pretty much stopped using the 'N' word in the 80s. That is still in the regular vocabulary up there.

Anyone remember the forced busing in Boston in the 70's or NYC during the civil war?
09-16-2014 09:43 AM
South Carolina Duke Offline
Banned

I Root For: James Madison
Or if you were a Negro traveling through Lincoln's land of Illinois in 1860, you had 60 days, to get through the state or be imprisoned.
09-16-2014 09:56 AM
Advertisement

firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
(09-16-2014 09:56 AM)South Carolina Duke Wrote:  Or if you were a Negro traveling through Lincoln's land of Illinois in 1860, you had 60 days, to get through the state or be imprisoned.

Sounds fair. 07-coffee3
09-16-2014 10:18 AM
QuestionSocratic Offline
Banned

I Root For: Buffalo
I went to a predominently Irish high school. Our principal competition were a Polish HS and an Italian HS.

There were a lot of mick, polack and dago insults swapped between schools. I wouldn't get too upset over a couple of musa acuminatae.
09-16-2014 10:45 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

I Root For: The Deplorables
The North Plainfield players said they were so traumatized that their coach had to console them.

Really? Over a stupid freaking banana? What the hell is wrong with kids these days? Oversensitive damn kids. It's a banana, and they just kept grabbing them out. IF the story is even true. It's also up north where racism is supposed to be nonexistent.

I can't help but LMFAO at this story.
09-16-2014 10:46 AM
Doctor Krieger Offline
1st String

I Root For: :)
(09-16-2014 10:46 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  The North Plainfield players said they were so traumatized that their coach had to console them.

Really? Over a stupid freaking banana? What the hell is wrong with kids these days? Oversensitive damn kids. It's a banana, and they just kept grabbing them out. IF the story is even true. It's also up north where racism is supposed to be nonexistent.

I've been hearing here for a while that racism itself is nonexistent throughout our whole country...hah
09-16-2014 10:52 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
What a bunch of poosays. While the action, if true, is reprehensible I hardly think it falls under the heading of traumatic, especially given that these young men are engaged in a physically brutal and emotionally charged and draining competition. I can't help but wonder if their traumatization is similar to that experienced by the young sons of the poor discriminated against firefighter, Ken Jones. In other words a manufactured crisis.

Posted from the shallow recesses of my feeble mind.
09-16-2014 11:01 AM
Advertisement

LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(09-16-2014 10:52 AM)Doctor Krieger Wrote:  
(09-16-2014 10:46 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  The North Plainfield players said they were so traumatized that their coach had to console them.

I've been hearing here for a while that racism itself is nonexistent throughout our whole country...hah

It's a banana. Ironically, you'd have to be racist to think it's racist..

Black people say white people smell like bologna. Would i be offended if a black school put bologna in the door because of me? No, I'd laugh hysterically. I sure as hell wouldn't be "traumatized." That's beyond laughable... Lol...

For all we know, it could have been a "welcome to the jungle" intimidation. Pitiful show of feelings.
09-16-2014 11:04 AM
bevotex Offline
Chili has no beans

I Root For: Texas Longhorns
(09-16-2014 11:04 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Black people say white people smell like bologna. Would i be offended if a black school put bologna in the door because of me? No, I'd laugh hysterically. I sure as hell wouldn't be "traumatized." That's beyond laughable... Lol...

For all we know, it could have been a "welcome to the jungle" intimidation. Pitiful show of feelings.

Thats funny I thought y'all smelled like corn dogs

04-cheers
09-16-2014 11:07 AM
LSU04_08 Offline
Deo Vindice

(09-16-2014 11:07 AM)bevotex Wrote:  
(09-16-2014 11:04 AM)LSU04_08 Wrote:  

Thats funny I thought y'all smelled like corn dogs

04-cheers

Only at LSU... COGS
09-16-2014 11:24 AM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
I think "traumatized" is probably hyperbole in this case. I imagine it angered some of the kids...but I doubt seriously anyone was traumatized. If so?..They have one pansy ass football team.
09-16-2014 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.