Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Fire Coach Campbell!
Bookmark and Share
magoo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TOLEDO
Fire Coach Campbell!
This coach can't get it done! This team looks exactly like the last two. If mediocre is the standard, he's a perfect fit.
We start flat, dig ourselves a hole, play horrible defense (if you can call it that), and then applaud our effort climbing back into the game. It's shameful.
In light of all of the changes/pressures associated with Division 1 football, we don't have the luxury of letting him grow into the job, only to leave after one successful season.
Cut our losses now!
09-14-2014 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: Fire Coach Campbell!
My reservation is that it is not coach Campbell making drive killing mistakes, dropping passes, fumbling kick offs and holding. Are our troubles poor game planning in the secondary, or do we just don't have the athletes to compete at a D1 level. Our secondary is what is keeping us from a special season vs a mediocre 7-6 win, outside the bowl bubble again season.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014 08:59 AM by emanoh.)
09-14-2014 08:58 AM
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
There is no pressure on the QBs and why in the world do we not even attempt to do some sort of press coverage...instead we sit back ten yards and watch receivers run around all day wide open and the opposing QB sits back there, plants a tree, orders a pizza, then finally decides which wide open receive he wants to throw too...

Pathetic defense both in schemes and execution
09-14-2014 09:09 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-14-2014 08:58 AM)emanoh Wrote:  My reservation is that it is not coach Campbell making drive killing mistakes, dropping passes, fumbling kick offs and holding. Are our troubles poor game planning in the secondary, or do we just don't have the athletes to compete at a D1 level. Our secondary is what is keeping us from a special season vs a mediocre 7-6 win, outside the bowl bubble again season.

Agreed, but think the Rockets have a good shot(there is not a QB in the MAC better than the last two UT has faced) at the MACC and a Bowl.
Btw, BGSU is at the bottom of the MAC in Total Defense with a OOC SOS
that is below what UT has faced.
09-14-2014 09:09 AM
T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
Campbell is not going anywhere. He recruits well enough to go 7-5 about every year because there are enough pathetic teams in the MAC that UT can win a number of conference games just with their talent regardless of any coaching liabilities. However, the coaching liabilities are significant enough to prevent any 10-2 type seasons that would move him up to the big time so I expect he will be here for a while unless he decides on his own to go back to Division III ball (or whatever they call it these days). Besides with a multi-multi year contract, the University would probably have to sell U-Hall to get enough money to buy him out.

The best that we can hope for is that Campbell puts together a competent staff or maybe unilaterally decides the pass defense is so terrible that it can not get any worse and gives up on the zone defense and plays more man defense thus allowing more pressure on the QB. The staff could also work on eliminating those penalties for which they themselves are guilty----illegal substitutions, getting in the play late, etc.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014 09:20 AM by T-Town.)
09-14-2014 09:18 AM
rockytop Offline
1st String

I was at the game. I was embarrassed by the play of our defense. I am only a fan and can't judge the ability of our DC. I do think good CB's are very difficult to recruit at UT's level. I can't remember a good UT defense since GP left.

I think MC has done some things well; no real disciplinary problems, the team GPA is excellent, and they do nice things in the community. Others will have to judge his coaching ability. MC represents UT in a very positive fashion. However, unless we can solve the defensive issues, UT will remain a mediocre football team. My patience is running out.
09-14-2014 09:18 AM
Advertisement

magoo Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2014 09:09 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  
(09-14-2014 08:58 AM)emanoh Wrote:  My reservation is that it is not coach Campbell making drive killing mistakes, dropping passes, fumbling kick offs and holding. Are our troubles poor game planning in the secondary, or do we just don't have the athletes to compete at a D1 level. Our secondary is what is keeping us from a special season vs a mediocre 7-6 win, outside the bowl bubble again season.

Agreed, but think the Rockets have a good shot(there is not a QB in the MAC better than the last two UT has faced) at the MACC and a Bowl.

So BGSUcks is the standard that we measure ourselves by? Ashamed!
What happened to aspirations of being Boise St? Play anybody anywhere and compete!
09-14-2014 09:33 AM
magoo Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2014 09:18 AM)T-Town Wrote:  Campbell is not going anywhere. He recruits well enough to go 7-5 about every year because there are enough pathetic teams in the MAC that UT can win a number of conference games just with their talent regardless of any coaching liabilities. However, the coaching liabilities are significant enough to prevent any 10-2 type seasons that would move him up to the big time so I expect he will be here for a while unless he decides on his own to go back to Division III ball (or whatever they call it these days). Besides with a multi-multi year contract, the University would probably have to sell U-Hall to get enough money to buy him out.

The best that we can hope for is that Campbell puts together a competent staff or maybe unilaterally decides the pass defense is so terrible that it can not get any worse and gives up on the zone defense and plays more man defense thus allowing more pressure on the QB. The staff could also work on eliminating those penalties for which they themselves are guilty----illegal substitutions, getting in the play late, etc.

By the time we go 7-5 every year until his contract expires our Glass Bowl attendance will look like Eastern Michigan. How much will that cost the program. He's gotta go sooner than later!
09-14-2014 09:36 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(09-14-2014 09:33 AM)magoo Wrote:  

What happened to aspirations of being Boise St? Play anybody anywhere and compete!

Boise State was 8-5 last season.
09-14-2014 09:38 AM
bdunrocket Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: UT

Agree! Even to talk about other MAC schools is funny. If we aspire we need to view our selves on a different plain; it should be above 3/4 of the big 1zero not the mac.
By the way the last time we won the mac what happened. We got drilled by a team that was not even supposed to be able to play with us.
We need to be taking these OCC games seriously. Players will and do not come here because we beat up on a bunch of "directional schools". Enough already with the other mac schools! Sorry for jumping of the deep end, probably the coffee.04-chairshot03-banghead03-hissyfit
09-14-2014 09:51 AM
magoo Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2014 09:38 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  

Boise State was 8-5 last season.

and that was not satisfactory. but at least they went to a bowl.
09-14-2014 09:55 AM
Advertisement

magoo Offline
2nd String

(09-14-2014 09:51 AM)bdunrocket Wrote:  

Agree! Even to talk about other MAC schools is funny. If we aspire we need to view our selves on a different plain; it should be above 3/4 of the big 1zero not the mac.
By the way the last time we won the mac what happened. We got drilled by a team that was not even supposed to be able to play with us.
We need to be taking these OCC games seriously. Players will and do not come here because we beat up on a bunch of "directional schools". Enough already with the other mac schools! Sorry for jumping of the deep end, probably the coffee.04-chairshot03-banghead03-hissyfit

FYI:
MAC Head Coach Salaries (2013)

Coach Total Pay MAX Total Pay With Bonuses
Frank Solich (Ohio) $513,900 $813,250
Matt Campbell (Toledo) $457,500 $857,500
Charley Molnar (UMass) $418,930 $581,430
Dave Clawson (Bowling Green) $401,000 $510,000
Don Treadwell (Miami) $400,000 $793,660
Terry Bowden (Akron) $400,000 $605,000
Pete Lembo (Ball State) $399,000 $664,000
P.J. Fleck (Western Michigan) $392,500 $628,500
Paul Haynes (Kent State) $382,500 $643,500
Roderick Carey (Northern Illinois) $376,000 $581,000
Ron English (Eastern Michigan) $374,937 $464,937
Dan Enos (Central Michigan) $360,600 $584,600
Jeff Quinn (Buffalo) $325,000 $660,000
09-14-2014 09:59 AM
DetroitRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-14-2014 09:59 AM)magoo Wrote:  
(09-14-2014 09:51 AM)bdunrocket Wrote:  

FYI:
MAC Head Coach Salaries (2013)

Coach Total Pay MAX Total Pay With Bonuses
Frank Solich (Ohio) $513,900 $813,250
Matt Campbell (Toledo) $457,500 $857,500
Charley Molnar (UMass) $418,930 $581,430
Dave Clawson (Bowling Green) $401,000 $510,000
Don Treadwell (Miami) $400,000 $793,660
Terry Bowden (Akron) $400,000 $605,000
Pete Lembo (Ball State) $399,000 $664,000
P.J. Fleck (Western Michigan) $392,500 $628,500
Paul Haynes (Kent State) $382,500 $643,500
Roderick Carey (Northern Illinois) $376,000 $581,000
Ron English (Eastern Michigan) $374,937 $464,937
Dan Enos (Central Michigan) $360,600 $584,600
Jeff Quinn (Buffalo) $325,000 $660,000

Source please.
09-14-2014 10:09 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

After taking some time away from Friday night, I have a few thoughts. This season may not turn into the disaster we have witnessed to this point. Both Missouri and Cincinnati were mirror images of each other, which played right into the weaknesses of Toledo. Both teams had outstanding passing games and all conference level defensive ends. IMO, Cincinnati may have better all around wide receivers than Missouri. Toledo does not have the talent in the secondary to defend a passing attack like that over the course of game, whether playing zone or man-to-man. Toledo also does not have the speed and agility at the tackle position to defend defensive ends of that caliber. With that in mind, Toledo will not face teams that have those combinations for remainder of the season. The only teams that might pose the biggest threats in those departments will be BGSU, WMU, and NIU (only because they are NIU). NIU and Balls State are both breaking in new QB's. With that in mind, Toledo is very much in the hunt for a MAC west crown. National passing rankings include Ball St at 99th, WMU at 67th, CMU at 109th, NIU at 78th, ISU at 95th, and BGSU at 21st. If Toledo can start a game the way it came out the 2nd half against Cincinnati, we may see very different conference results. Of course there are a lot of factors that play into this. Toledo had a lot key players get banged up Friday night, and it will remain to be seen if Woodside can duplicate his performance. Perhaps the second half was an indication that the staff is capable of making adjustments and now knows what it has and must plan for. I've always felt that dropped balls, penalties, and focus in general have a lot to do with coaching. The first half of the Ball St game will be very telling. While the offensive line seems to need to improve its game and there are some serious recruiting needs in secondary, the offense as a whole seems to have some eye popping capabilities and defensive line could be very good. I will hold off on the new coaching campaign at this point, of course, my opinion could change depending on the Ball State game.
09-14-2014 10:12 AM
Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
If we can somehow pull a 2004 season out of our a$$es and rebound after 2 embarrassing OOC losses then this may be Toledo's best season since I've been a fan.
09-14-2014 10:24 AM
Rocket79 Offline
Bench Warmer

It's not just Toledo, as long as we are in the MAC we will earn little respect. When we go to bowl games it is little attendance and crappy dates and times. The BIG and SEC will quit playing us because there is nothing in it for them with the new play off system. I can't think of any kid that grows up saying I am going to play for any MAC team, it is usually the best offer they get. We do get some great college players, we just can't have the depth that Big and SEC get. We can blame the coach or the players but there is a much bigger issue heading our way with these new changes
09-14-2014 10:41 AM
Advertisement

T-Town Offline
All American

I Root For:
(09-14-2014 09:38 AM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  Boise State was 8-5 last season.

Yes, but in the 11 years prior to 2013 (i.e., 2002-2012) they went a remarkable 129-15 that includes a number of impressive wins over "big name" schools. What is even more remarkable is that 20 years ago they were still playing Division II-A ball----so in less than two decades they went from II-A ball to their choice of the Big East or the Mountain West Conference, both of which were/are held in higher regard than the MAC.

I think that was the Boise State record to which Magoo mentioned regarding aspirations, not last years record (which poor by Boise standards was still better than UT's record last year)
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2014 11:47 AM by T-Town.)
09-14-2014 11:43 AM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I think we should be happy to win six games in the MAC be 7-5 and complain when we don't get a bowl game when we have gotten demolished against future bowl teams in UC and Missouri. at least last year on the road we were respectable at Florida and Missouri. Ely gets hurt, but Woodside was the backup last year and was battling in a close fall camp competition. Knapke looked good at Indiana yesterday with little experience. We can tell ourselves we're great and everything will be fine, but I do have concerns. And I'm sure the coaching staff does Too.
09-14-2014 11:52 AM
Henry Burlingame Offline
Special Teams

I followed the Missouri fan boards for a while after Coach Pinkel took the job. For the first two years the fans were all over him, demanding that he be fired. What stupid fans they were.
09-14-2014 12:29 PM
Carolina Rocket Offline
Token fat guy

Drive killing mistakes, dropping passes, and penalties. Every single season. Discipline, discipline, discipline...

Our secondary is thin and unprepared, with no apparent adjustments being made. Recruiting and game planning...

Sure the players seem to love Campbell's personality. Amstutz lost control of the team because he was a nice guy (and perhaps disorganized as well).

Pinkel is "professional" on his warm fuzzy days... Different game, but just about every guy that won a Stanley Cup playing for Scotty Bowman absolutely hated playing for him, but he got results. I'm sure you can find a ton of examples of disciplinarian coaches that the guys would crawl through barbed wire to win for.

I'd love to see us hire a hardass that produces...
09-14-2014 02:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.