Advertisement

DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Did Toledo Blow An Opportunity?
(09-11-2014 09:18 AM)RangerRocket Wrote:  Holleys fit in Flashes’ family

http://www.bcsn.tv/news_article/show/418645

Probably not.

First of all, Kent sucks. Nick is the leading rusher at Kent averaging 2.8 yards per carry. Same class as Kareem Hunt who is averaging 8.1 ypc and is in a totally different universe.

With our injuries in the secondary, Nate might be a different story, but even Kent wouldn't offer him a scholarship.
09-11-2014 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
Yes, we missed an opportunity. As I understand it, the Holleys are sophomores who didn't even use a redshirt year. Nick might not be able to play running back for us, but that doesn't mean he couldn't play. Also, he would probably be averaging a lot more yards per carry behind our offensive line rather than Kent's.

Kent did offer Nate a scholarship, according to the article, and they're obviously glad that they did.

If the Holleys were at UT, at least one of them would be starting this year either as a true sophomore or as a redshirt freshman. That, to me, is a missed opportunity.

Of course, we weren't the only school to overlook these kids.
09-11-2014 10:49 AM
Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
Who knows. Historically, the Blah POY has usually done well at UT. Not sure he would be a QB at UT. If not, maybe WR or DB. The DB had 18 tackles and 2 forced fumbles against OH. That is noteworthy.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2014 11:34 AM by Toledo Football 1st.)
09-11-2014 12:35 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Missed opportunity?

If so, it wasn't the kind of opportunity found in measurables. Nick was not an exceptional passer. Because of those around him, Nate didn't exactly shine and he was overshadowed by his QB brother to boot. They're not going to succeed because of height, weight and speed. Much like Kovac before them, it's what's inside.

The Central people begged UT to offer. I recall clearly, I was tepid on a good day, never saw a future at QB for Nick but I was disappointed when they went to Kent St. Now, done is done and I can't wish them the best hard enough.

Heart.
09-11-2014 03:34 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
No!!!
09-11-2014 03:52 PM
Advertisement

Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
No!!!
09-11-2014 03:53 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
[code]
(09-11-2014 03:52 PM)Boca Rocket Wrote:  No!!!
Really ??? Would you care to elaborate on your emphatic NO !!!
Having seen both play for several years at Whitmer, you would be hard pressed to find a couple more hard nosed kids take the field, than Nick and Nate Holley...
09-11-2014 04:45 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Not to mention 4.0 students. From an alumni factor alone they were worth the scholly.
09-11-2014 05:34 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(09-11-2014 05:34 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Not to mention 4.0 students. From an alumni factor alone they were worth the scholly.

Excellent point !!!
Also the fact that the more quality student athletes that UT attracts from not only Whitmer, but CCHS, St.Johns, St. Francis, etc. bringing their families on campus, generating more fan interest... 04-cheers
09-11-2014 06:03 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-11-2014 03:34 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Missed opportunity?

If so, it wasn't the kind of opportunity found in measurables. Nick was not an exceptional passer. Because of those around him, Nate didn't exactly shine and he was overshadowed by his QB brother to boot. They're not going to succeed because of height, weight and speed. Much like Kovac before them, it's what's inside.

The Central people begged UT to offer. I recall clearly, I was tepid on a good day, never saw a future at QB for Nick but I was disappointed when they went to Kent St. Now, done is done and I can't wish them the best hard enough.

Heart.

They played at Whitmer so if Central begged us take them, it may have been an unbiased opinion.... 03-wink
09-11-2014 06:05 PM
Advertisement

MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I watched them play and I am of the same opinion - they were competitors who played hard all the time. They actually have decent size and ok speed for DI skill positions. The thing you would like is their intelligence and tenacity - and knowing they would be battling for you all 4 or 5 years in the program. Those intangibles are hard to evaluate - so I can see why UT took a pass on them. I think we have done ok with the recruiting end of things.
09-11-2014 06:08 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(09-11-2014 06:05 PM)MotoRocket Wrote:  
(09-11-2014 03:34 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Missed opportunity?

Heart.

They played at Whitmer so if Central begged us take them, it may have been an unbiased opinion.... 03-wink

oops mea culpa on the typo. 03-lmfao

I recall the WHITMER poster's being emphatic.
09-11-2014 06:33 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
I don't know about Nick, but we certainly missed out on Nate. His stats against OU were unreal, especially for a sophomore. Do I have any takers on whether any of our DBs will ever come close to matching that type of performance this season? I wouldn't bet on it.
09-12-2014 12:52 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
After playing New Hampshire and Mizzou, UT is #10 in the MAC in Passing Efficiency Defense. Kent ranks #11 after losing to OU and South Alabama.
09-12-2014 07:41 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
The Blade POY should always get a UT offer (unless there are character issues.) Here we had a couple of guys with great character and terrific high school credentials. Campbell had the opportunity to evaluate their winning attitude but blew his chance to get them to stay in Toledo. They are Eric Page type of guys.
09-12-2014 11:27 AM
Advertisement

DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
(09-12-2014 11:27 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  The Blade POY should always get a UT offer (unless there are character issues.) Here we had a couple of guys with great character and terrific high school credentials. Campbell had the opportunity to evaluate their winning attitude but blew his chance to get them to stay in Toledo. They are Eric Page type of guys.

We've got two all-state players from that team.
09-12-2014 12:26 PM
MidnightBlueGold Online
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
There was obviously something that 120+ schools didn't see in them. They only received an offer from 1 school - and that was the week before signing day. To try and blame Campbell is laughable.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
09-12-2014 12:33 PM
Dwight Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rockets
(09-12-2014 12:33 PM)MidnightBlueGold Wrote:  There was obviously something that 120+ schools didn't see in them. They only received an offer from 1 school - and that was the week before signing day. To try and blame Campbell is laughable.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Campbell has done a great job recruiting, but I don't agree with you on this one. When you miss talent in your own backyard, I think you have to say, "Yeah, I blew that one." It's true that a lot of other schools missed the boat as well, but Campbell was in the best position to find these gems in the rough. He's the expert, and he gets paid big bucks to get things like this right. Recruiting is an inexact science where mistakes are inevitable, but that doesn't mean that it's not a mistake.
09-12-2014 01:04 PM
danh63 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Kent
Well they think they did or so I was told that anyway. With no offers they thought they could give them a try as preferred walk ons. I know they weren't happy when Kent offered. Both have grown in size and strength and are doing very well at Kent. Great students and it's hard to beat the effort they will give you!
09-23-2014 10:19 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.