Bookmark and Share
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Miliano, Gantz battling for UC kicking job
UC looks to improve on 'awful' kicking game

Miliano, Gantz battling for UC kicking job (Aug. 23, 2014)
Tom Groeschen, tgroeschen@enquirer.com 5:28 p.m. EDT August 23, 2014

[Image: 1408827761000-UCmilianoelder.JPG]
Tony Miliano and Andrew Gantz are fighting to be UC's kicker.(Photo: Scott Springer/Community Press)

Coach Tommy Tuberville praised his kicking game Saturday, without being prompted to do so. University of Cincinnati football fans will cautiously take that as a positive.

Southwest Ohio prep products Andrew Gantz (Centerville High School) and Tony Miliano (Elder) both made most of their field goals during a scrimmage Saturday at Paul Brown Stadium, with punters Sam Geraci (Moeller) and John Lloyd (CHCA) also in a tight competition.

Tuberville opened his post-scrimmage remarks by noting that UC had concluded two weeks of preseason camp, most of it at Higher Ground in West Harrison, Indiana. The Bearcats return to campus this week.

"We got better at pretty much every phase of the game, especially the kicking game," Tuberville said. "We've added a lot of hang times to our punts, and distance. And both our field goal guys have been spot-on, probably about 80 percent."

When someone mentioned that UC had issues with the kicking game last year, Tuberville replied:

"I wouldn't call it an issue, I'd call it awful. We were just bad last year, and they'll even tell you that."

Miliano hit just 7-of-17 field goals last year, which is one reason Gantz has been running with the No. 1 unit.

With punting, Lloyd averaged 42.7 yards per boot last year but, combined with former quarterback Brendon Kay's pooch punts, the Bearcats ranked just 121st nationally in net punting (33.02-yard average).

Gantz on Saturday hit 4-of-6 field goal attempts, including two bombs of 53 yards each.

Miliano hung right in, hitting 6-of-7 field goals including a 50-yarder and 47-yarder.

Redshirt freshmen Gantz and Geraci are neck and neck with seniors Miliano and Lloyd, respectively, in Tuberville's estimation. Tuberville said he won't make a decision on who starts until probably about a week before the season opener, which is Sept. 12 against Toledo.

Miliano is determined to regain the form that saw him make 34-of-47 field goal attempts during his first two UC seasons.

"One of the things that's been driving me all camp is that I want the job, obviously," Miliano said. "I want it really bad. To have the first two years that I had and then the year that I had last year, it just makes me want it that much more."

Gantz, the newcomer, said he is ready if the call comes.

"I know Tony and I both would like to be the starting placekicker here," Gantz said. "Both our mindsets are to go out every day and kick our best, and give them the confidence in us to where they can play both of us."

SUMMING UP: UC again did not provide statistics to the media, but No. 1 quarterback Gunner Kiel looked sharper than he did in last week's scrimmage and backups Munchie Legaux and Jarred Evans generally also played well.

"Offensively we made big plays," Tuberville said. "I thought we ran the ball a little bit better today. Our offensive line, we pushed them to the limit. It got a little hot, but we needed to get a situation where the bear got on their back and they had to think when they're tired and hot.

"Defensively, we've still got a lot of work to do on a lot of our zone coverages. We didn't play much man today. We'll start adding to our playbook on defense."

QB UPDATE: Kiel again took most of the snaps as No. 1 quarterback, but Tuberville still is not ready to announce a starter.

"We'll probably do that at the end of next week," Tuberville said. "It's pretty close, a lot closer than people think."

An unofficial sideline count Saturday had Kiel 12-for-15 in passing, Legaux 6-for-11 and Evans 9-for-13, with each throwing one TD pass.

ALONZO HURT: Sophomore wideout Shai Alonzo took a hard hit to the head while trying to catch a pass, and he was taken off on a stretcher. Preliminary reports were positive, as Alonzo had movement in all extremities.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/c.../14502709/

08-24-2014 01:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dannyboy Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats
RE: Miliano, Gantz battling for UC kicking job
I assume the seniors will get the nod on special teams, but Gantz hitting two 53s is awesome. It makes me feel good about the future.

08-24-2014 08:54 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
We got spoiled by our kicking/punting/ST play which were phenomenal during this run we have been on....our punters flipped the filed and really put the other team in rough spots. Last year we saw what happens when ST play is less than good. I hope our kicking/punting/ST play can just be solid at the least this year...it makes a huge difference.

08-24-2014 09:41 AM
Advertisement

bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
TT said yesterday that Miliano in the past week really grabbed the bull by the horns as did John Lloyd. He also stated that they wont make a decision on the starting kickers until the week leading up to the first game.

08-25-2014 07:15 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Lloyd did fine last season. The 121st ranked net punting average is only because Brendon Kay took those pooch punts, which pulls down the number. Remove Kay's pooch punts and Lloyd's 42.7 average is 2nd in the AAC and 23rd nationally.

08-25-2014 08:45 AM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Kay did those pooch punts because Lloyd was awful. He had way too many line drive punts.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

(This post was last modified: 08-25-2014 09:06 AM by subflea.)
08-25-2014 09:05 AM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

Nature of the beast when you have rugby style punting.

08-25-2014 06:40 PM
Advertisement

subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-25-2014 06:40 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Nature of the beast when you have rugby style punting.

His line drive punts were not a result of rugby style punting. They occurred when he was using a traditional punting style. It has been a problem for him since high school. Huge leg, lots of distance, but no hang time.

08-25-2014 06:55 PM
cinbinsportsfan Offline
Heisman

(08-25-2014 06:55 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(08-25-2014 06:40 PM)cinbinsportsfan Wrote:  Nature of the beast when you have rugby style punting.

His line drive punts were not a result of rugby style punting. They occurred when he was using a traditional punting style. It has been a problem for him since high school. Huge leg, lots of distance, but no hang time.

Got it, I see what you're saying. I'd be curious to see avg hang time stats but have failed to find anything.

08-27-2014 10:25 AM
Advertisement

Marcus Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Any word on any of the news guys? Freshman or JUCO's? Any of them pushing to be in the starting lineup or two deep?

08-28-2014 12:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(08-28-2014 12:33 PM)Marcus Wrote:  Any word on any of the news guys? Freshman or JUCO's? Any of them pushing to be in the starting lineup or two deep?

For the kicking and punting jobs or just in general?

08-28-2014 01:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.