Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
Reds send struggling reliever J.J. Hoover to Triple-A
Reds send struggling reliever J.J. Hoover to Triple-A

C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:41 p.m. EDT August 21, 2014

[Image: 1408076447005-USATSI-8030767.jpg]
Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher J.J. Hoover (60) delivers a pitch in the sixth inning against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field. The Rockies defeated the Reds 7-3.(Photo: Ron Chenoy-USA TODAY Sports)

The Reds needed to make one roster move on Thursday to make room for starter David Holmberg, but they made two -- sending relievers J.J. Hoover and Carlos Contreras to Triple-A Louisville before Thursday's game with the Braves. In addition, the Reds called up right-hander Pedro Villarreal to join the team's bullpen.

Hoover took the loss in the first game of Sunday's doubleheader and then again on Tuesday, falling to 1-10 on the season. Hoover has a 5.27 ERA.

Villarreal, 26, came up to the Reds in both 2012 and 2013, making a spot start last season. The right-hander is 6-2 with a 3.20 ERA in 42 games, including two starts, for Triple-A Louisville this season.

Contreras left Wednesday's game with an injury, but told manager Bryan Price afterward that he felt better after icing down his shoulder. When Price spoke to reporters on Thursday, he hadn't talked to the team's trainers about Contreras yet and the decision hadn't been made.

Holmberg will be making his second start of the season for the Reds.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog.../14407239/

08-21-2014 08:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
RE: Reds send struggling reliever J.J. Hoover to Triple-A
There wasn't any room on the bus for ondrusek?

I guess Hoover will be a September call up anyways.

08-21-2014 08:42 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Reds' Joey Votto: 'I didn't elect to be injured'
C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:42 p.m. EDT August 21, 2014

[Image: 1404604738014-reds-24-20140705.jpg]
Joey Votto (19) has been struggling with a knee/quad injury.(Photo: The Enquirer/Jeff Swinger)

Joey Votto wanted to set the record straight about his injury when he spoke to reporters on Thursday.

"Let's make it clear here -- I think there's been a real gray area and I feel like I've been the one in the crosshairs -- I've been injured," Votto said. "I feel like this is something I've had hanging over me in the general population, the fans, I think it's a toughness, or playing through pain sort of thing, or playing hurt sort of thing. I've been injured. I played injured. I went on the DL because I'm injured. I'm trying to be un-injured now.

"So the second I'm capable of playing and I'm no longer injured, I'll be back on the field. In the meantime, you can assume I'm injured. I shouldn't get some sort of different treatment, as if this is -- I've noticed little comments here and there and just a general perception that this is something I elected to do. I didn't elect to be injured. I am injured. People get injured. I am injured. What can I do? At some point I'll be back playing like I was playing before."

Votto has yet to start what the team calls "baseball activities," but he is jogging and the recent strength test results are encouraging, manager Bryan Price said.

Votto said he's made "pretty good progress" but he's still "day-to-day." As far as returning this year -- he's not eligible to return from the 60-day disabled list until Sept. 4 -- Votto said he doesn't know about that.

"I don't know right now," Votto said. "I'm doing everything I can to get back on the field as soon as possible."

Votto said it's frustrating right now to watch his team perform poorly and be helpless to do something about it.

"I wish I was on the field doing my part helping the team out," he said. "Unfortunately I'm not able to and I'm trying to get to a point where I can come back and help out and play like everyone's used to me playing. I'm not there yet."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog.../14405887/

08-21-2014 08:50 PM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
Homer Bailey unsure of when he'll return to Reds
C. Trent Rosecrans, crosecrans@enquirer.com 5:44 p.m. EDT August 21, 2014

[Image: 1407465234004-Reds-Indians-12.jpg]
Cincinnati Reds starting pitcher Homer Bailey (34) grimaces while on his knees after making a throw to first, which was bobbled by first baseman Todd Frazier, allowing Cleveland Indians second baseman Jose Ramirez (11) to take the base during the fifth inning.(Photo: The Enquirer/Gary Landers)

Starter Homer Bailey, like Joey Votto, is unsure when he'll be able to return from his injury.

The right-hander went on the disabled list before the team's recent road trip, getting an MRI the day after he was pushed back in the rotation. The MRI revealed a tear in the flexor mass tendon in his right arm.

Bailey said he's had a platelet-rich plasma injection and has an ultrasound scheduled for Friday to see how the tendon is healing.

"I don't really know a timetable," Bailey said. "No one does. It's just how quickly I can heal, more or less, rehabbing."

For now, that rehabilitation process doesn't including throwing.

"Would I like to? Absolutely I would. This isn't really something you can rush back," Bailey said. "You can either do it once and do it right or you can try to rush it back and go back to square one. I've been through enough injuries."

Bailey said the injury is just the latest in a long line of injuries that have dogged him this year.

"I've kind of been fighting stuff most of the year. It's been a really, really tough year for me – a pulled groin, a herniated disc in the back, elbow, I took a ball off the jaw, took a ball of my biceps. It's just been one of those years," Bailey said. "Actually right after the All-Star break, my forearm was really feeling good. In the third or fourth inning of the Cleveland game, my elbow locked up on me. I don't personally think it was from throwing. I think I did it whenever I got a hit. I don't know. It could have been throwing because that's what we do. It could have been from hitting. The next day it didn't recover like it should have."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/redsblog...autologin=

08-21-2014 08:52 PM
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
Ef them. Guys making 15 Mil don't care about you.

08-21-2014 10:10 PM
Tomcat Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(08-21-2014 08:50 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Reds' Joey Votto: 'I didn't elect to be injured'

Joey Votto (19) has been struggling with a knee/quad injury.(Photo: The Enquirer/Jeff Swinger)

Joey Votto wanted to set the record straight about his injury when he spoke to reporters on Thursday.

"Let's make it clear here -- I think there's been a real gray area and I feel like I've been the one in the crosshairs -- I've been injured," Votto said. "I feel like this is something I've had hanging over me in the general population, the fans, I think it's a toughness, or playing through pain sort of thing, or playing hurt sort of thing. I've been injured. I played injured. I went on the DL because I'm injured. I'm trying to be un-injured now.

"So the second I'm capable of playing and I'm no longer injured, I'll be back on the field. In the meantime, you can assume I'm injured. I shouldn't get some sort of different treatment, as if this is -- I've noticed little comments here and there and just a general perception that this is something I elected to do. I didn't elect to be injured. I am injured. People get injured. I am injured. What can I do? At some point I'll be back playing like I was playing before."

Votto has yet to start what the team calls "baseball activities," but he is jogging and the recent strength test results are encouraging, manager Bryan Price said.

Votto said he's made "pretty good progress" but he's still "day-to-day." As far as returning this year -- he's not eligible to return from the 60-day disabled list until Sept. 4 -- Votto said he doesn't know about that.

"I don't know right now," Votto said. "I'm doing everything I can to get back on the field as soon as possible."

Votto said it's frustrating right now to watch his team perform poorly and be helpless to do something about it.

"I wish I was on the field doing my part helping the team out," he said. "Unfortunately I'm not able to and I'm trying to get to a point where I can come back and help out and play like everyone's used to me playing. I'm not there yet."

Joey sounded very Allen Iverson'esq using "injured" 11 time in that rant. Still got a way to go to get Iverson's saying "practice" 17+ times!

08-22-2014 02:48 PM
Overrated Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
Criticizing players when they are hurt is about as lazy/dumb as it gets (*cough PDoc cough*). No one that watched Joey play this year could argue that something wasn't right. I know the Reds are terrible right now and it's frustrating not having their best player, but at this point he should just do everything possible to get to next season as close to 100% as he possibly can.

08-22-2014 03:43 PM
Advertisement

BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(08-22-2014 02:48 PM)Tomcat Wrote:  
(08-21-2014 08:50 PM)ctipton Wrote:  Reds' Joey Votto: 'I didn't elect to be injured'

Joey sounded very Allen Iverson'esq using "injured" 11 time in that rant. Still got a way to go to get Iverson's saying "practice" 17+ times!

Why is he so defensive? I haven't heard anyone attack him.

08-22-2014 08:16 PM
InspectorHound Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(08-22-2014 08:16 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

Except for the major columnist at the city's only paper.

08-22-2014 08:36 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(08-22-2014 08:36 PM)InspectorHound Wrote:  
(08-22-2014 08:16 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  

Except for the major columnist at the city's only paper.

Well I definitely wouldn't know about that. Votto specifically said "fans" which surprises me.

08-22-2014 09:46 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
[Image: www.ajc.com_9d363d346e374ff28eed3fdc08466388.png]

Braves get blanked on 3 hits in loss to Reds

By David O'Brien

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

[Image: Braves_Reds_Baseball.JPEG-0.JPG]
Atlanta Braves' Andrelton Simmons heads to the dugout after striking out to Cincinnati Reds relief pitcher Jonathan Broxton in the eighth inning of a baseball game, Saturday, Aug. 23, 2014, in Cincinnati. Cincinnati won 1-0. (AP Photo/Al Behrman)

CINCINNATI – After stranding 13 runners on base in a 12-inning win Friday against the Reds, the Braves didn’t mount a scoring threat against them until the seventh inning Saturday. And they failed to cash in that one.

The Braves mustered just three hits and failed to convert after Andrelton Simmons’ seventh-inning leadoff double, and pitcher Ervin Santana’s strong performance went unrewarded in a 1-0 loss to the Reds at Great American Ball Park, just the 17th 1-0 game in the 12-year history of the majors’ most hitter-friendly stadium.

Reds starter Mike Leake struck out both Freddie Freeman and Justin Upton after Simmons’ double. When Evan Gattis and Chris Johnson worked a pair of walks to loaded the bases, reliever Jumbo Diaz entered the game and induced a sharp grounder from Tommy La Stella for a 6-4 force out that ended the inning.

Santana (13-7) allowed only four hits, one run and one walk with seven strikeouts in seven innings, but lost for the first time in seven decisions and nine starts. The game was delayed for 1 hour, 56 minutes before the first pitch.

The only other Brave to advance to second base was Emilio Bonifacio on a two-out double in the eighth inning, and he was stranded when Simmons struck out. Bonifacio had two of the Braves’ three hits.

It was the second loss in nine games for the Braves, and second in four games since a five-game winning streak. They are 4-2 on a 10-game trip and need a win in Sunday’s series finale to avoid a split of their four-game series with the Reds, before a day off Monday and a three-game series at New York against the Mets.

Santana lowered his ERA to 2.95 in 11 starts and lost for just the second time in 10 decisions in that span. The Reds had just two base runners in the first five innings – a single in the third and a hit batter in the fourth – and neither advanced.

But after the pitcher Leake’s leadoff double in the sixth, Billy Hamilton sacrificed him to third and Brandon Phillips’ two-out single on a full-count pitch gave the Reds a 1-0 lead.

As well as Santana pitched, Leake (10-11) was even more effective in limiting the Braves to two hits and three walks with six strikeouts in 6 2/3 innings.

The right-hander had allowed 16 hits and nine earned runs in 12 innings over his previous two starts, but against the Braves Leake recorded 15 outs in the first 15 batters he faced. After Bonifacio led off the the game with a single, he was thrown out trying to steal for the second out in the inning.

Leake retired the next 10 batters after Bonifacio’s hit, including eight consecutive groundouts. Between the first and seventh innings, the only Brave to reach base was Freeman on a two-out walk in the fourth inning.

The Braves had a prime scoring opportunity after Simmons’ leadoff double in the seventh. But Leake struck out their two hottest hitters, Freeman and Upton. After Johnson walked, Gattis worked a full count, checking his swing on every pitch before fouling off a 3-2 pitch and then taking ball 4.

With the bases loaded, the Reds brought in right-hander Jumbo Diaz to face La Stella, who before Saturday was 6-for-9 with bases loaded with three doubles, a triple, a walk, no strikeouts and 15 RBIs. The rookie grounded sharply to the shortstop, who threw to second for the inning-ending force.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/...eds/ng73K/

(This post was last modified: 08-24-2014 12:53 AM by ctipton.)
08-24-2014 12:52 AM
ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

DonatorsDonators
I despise "pontificating Thom".

08-24-2014 02:43 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

(08-24-2014 02:43 PM)ctipton Wrote:  I despise "pontificating Thom".

Pontificating Thomas is good. I'd prefer something a little more harsh and maybe with more alliteration.

There is a pretty funny twitter account ripping thom.

08-24-2014 03:18 PM
Advertisement

RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I can live with Marty being arrogant, he's a HOFer and has been here 40 years, but I find Thoms arrogance annoying.

08-24-2014 03:33 PM
Coopdaddy67 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ice cream
Olbermann is so much more likable when he's trashing MLB and Selig while supporting Pete Rose's ban being lifted than when talking politics.

08-25-2014 10:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.