Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BSC's Fullerton Comments on the SBC
Bookmark and Share
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
BSC's Fullerton Comments on the SBC
Quote:Fullerton would love for the University of Idaho to join the Big Sky football ranks. He talks with school officials all the time and he’s not real impressed with the Vandals’ Sun Belt Conference affiliation.

He expects a new NCAA governance structure to give the top five FBS conferences more freedom to pay athletes beyond full-ride scholarships. Leagues like the Sun Belt will have a terrible time keeping up financially, leaving them in a precarious position.

“Our athletic budgets right now are not only bigger, they’re healthier,” Fullerton said in comparing the Big Sky to the Sun Belt. “We built our budgets on success. They built their budgets on getting beat by the bigger schools.

“They need the money and the big FBS schools need the win to support their bowl (hopes).”

Full Article

Also in the article he wants two Big Sky Conference, one FCS and one FBS.

There is a reason why his nickname is Foolerton.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 10:52 AM by GoApps70.)
08-03-2014 11:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: BSC's Fullerton Coments on the SBC
(08-03-2014 11:15 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
Quote:Fullerton would love for the University of Idaho to join the Big Sky football ranks. He talks with school officials all the time and he’s not real impressed with the Vandals’ Sun Belt Conference affiliation.

He expects a new NCAA governance structure to give the top five FBS conferences more freedom to pay athletes beyond full-ride scholarships. Leagues like the Sun Belt will have a terrible time keeping up financially, leaving them in a precarious position.

“Our athletic budgets right now are not only bigger, they’re healthier,” Fullerton said in comparing the Big Sky to the Sun Belt. “We built our budgets on success. They built their budgets on getting beat by the bigger schools.

“They need the money and the big FBS schools need the win to support their bowl (hopes).”

Full Article

What did all of that mean?
08-03-2014 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WKU
(08-03-2014 11:50 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Full Article

It means a school without a "home" and won a total of 4 games in 3 years would rather not be in the same conference as ASU...

a school that must sell home games vs BCS schools to pay their bills
08-03-2014 11:55 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
(08-03-2014 11:55 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  

Full Article

It means a school without a "home" and won a total of 4 games in 3 years would rather not be in the same conference as ASU...

That's funny considering we haven't moved any home games yet. Most seem to think moving the Mizzou game was just a ploy to sell suites in the new press box. It seems to be working because they are selling. Don't hate on stAte because we do more with less.
08-03-2014 12:22 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
(08-03-2014 12:22 PM)statefanatic Wrote:  

Full Article

That's funny considering we haven't moved any home games yet. Most seem to think moving the Mizzou game was just a ploy to sell suites in the new press box. It seems to be working because they are selling. Don't hate on stAte because we do more with less.

He's stalking me. Best bet is to let him do it.
08-03-2014 12:27 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC

Full Article

What ? He would love to get Idaho football . Idaho wants to stay FBS . Idaho would already be in the BSC in football if they didn't want FBS. Idaho would be in a good situation if half the BSC could become FBS.
A lot of Idaho fans were against placing Olympic sports in the BSC. The fear of football following outweigh the benefits of reduced travel expenses.

I am fine either way as long as Idaho stays FBS.
Building the program along with the other Sun Belt schools.
Now if after four years the BSC or half is ready that is fine also.
This gives EKU and possibly more candidates time to prepare for FBS. Seems like a win win scenario but its not Idaho doing the talking anyway.

What I don't want is kicked out without an option to stay FBS.
SAY C USA would have taken two more and the WAC had a large exit fee. Two SBC programs would have been on the outside looking in. App St and Georgia Southern along with GSU and USA locked out.
That time line may not be right its besides the point anyway.
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 12:54 PM by MJG.)
08-03-2014 12:34 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

Full Article

Idaho didn't say that. Doug Fullerton, who is an outright idiot, did.
08-03-2014 02:08 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(08-03-2014 02:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Full Article

Psssst....you may be talking to his brother. They seem a lot alike.
08-03-2014 09:15 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

Full Article

haha! I wondered what he was talking about.
08-03-2014 09:21 PM
Crump1 Offline
All American

Compare to this reality.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/08/02/42...1444/1649/

FBS is separating from FCS more, including the G5.
08-03-2014 09:22 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2014 09:15 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:15 AM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Full Article

Psssst don't tell anyone but after looking closer at ASU's dollar numbers today...

I fully understand why you would explore selling a home game...

on average $8 tickets won't pay the bills. Does it really matter who said it...

who ever did got it correct
08-03-2014 09:23 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(08-03-2014 09:23 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:50 AM)ark30inf Wrote:  What did all of that mean?

Psssst don't tell anyone but after looking closer at ASU's dollar numbers today...

Yet those 8 dollar tickets draw us 25K per game average. And have developed a very strong ticket buying fan base that includes record season ticket sales.

P.S. Western hosted Kentucky in Nashville. You're welcome to come and complain when you guys can get an SEC school to play you in Bowling Green. (We're not moving the game)
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2014 10:18 PM by chiefsfan.)
08-03-2014 10:16 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I'm of the mind that until you are selling out consistently, your tickets are overpriced. I said that about Texas State multiple times.

The way to get your folks on board is to get them in on the cheap, show them how much fun and how great an atmosphere you create, and then when demand calls for it, raise the price (or expand... either/or).
08-03-2014 10:30 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-03-2014 10:30 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  I'm of the mind that until you are selling out consistently, your tickets are overpriced. I said that about Texas State multiple times.

The way to get your folks on board is to get them in on the cheap, show them how much fun and how great an atmosphere you create, and then when demand calls for it, raise the price (or expand... either/or).

We got 31K for Monroe two years ago (year they beat Arkansas) by offering freebies to a bunch of Razorback Season ticket holders and donors.

They are a necessary part of life for a lot of schools at our level.
08-03-2014 10:34 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2014 10:30 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  I'm of the mind that until you are selling out consistently, your tickets are overpriced. I said that about Texas State multiple times.

But it devalues your tickets and it's hard to get that value back up even when you win...as in ASU's case

we can't compete with TV dollars but we all have the same shot at getting the millions from donations and tickets

Those same fans that takes the freebies or rock bottom discount tickets are never going to buy a ticket if it's goes up. They will always want the cheap ticket.

TXST is a lot different than ASU...30,000 students and a student fee even a small one can bring in millions.

I've talked to a number of new season ticket holders at Western and I can tell you once you join HAF (donation for season tickets) and get that season ticket it makes you feel like you are part of the program.

The FREEBIE ticket will never see that
08-03-2014 10:45 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2014 10:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 11:55 AM)WKUYG Wrote:  It means a school without a "home" and won a total of 4 games in 3 years would rather not be in the same conference as ASU...

Yet those 8 dollar tickets draw us 25K per game average. And have developed a very strong ticket buying fan base that includes record season ticket sales.

P.S. Western hosted Kentucky in Nashville. You're welcome to come and complain when you guys can get an SEC school to play you in Bowling Green. (We're not moving the game)

We get Vandy in 2015 or 16 and we had a Big 10 school 2 years a go at the Houch

As far as the butts in the seats...you can not grow your program on the freebies or discounted season tickets. No way should ASU saw a fall in money off of tickets sold and donations over the last 3 years...

when you want to brag about butts that's what you get...

and it's hard to get past that
08-03-2014 10:49 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(08-03-2014 10:49 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 02:08 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  Idaho didn't say that. Doug Fullerton, who is an outright idiot, did.

As far as the butts in the seats...you can not grow your program on the freebies or discounted season tickets. No way should ASU saw a fall in money off of tickets sold and donations over the last 3 years...

We're not fighting giving out freebies the last two years. We're fighting twenty years of incompetence at the FBS level. We're fighting the fact that we had to give out freebies in the early part of this century in order to survive.

The reality is, our ticket sales have gone up the last several years after bottoming out in the final years of Roberts and Lee.

And there are cases when Freebies work. That ULM game I spoke of. We picked up several major donors that day. All businesses in Little Rock who had never given ASU a dime, but instead chose to split their donations between Arkansas and ASU. If we didn't give them freebies that day, they may never have donated.

I am completely comfortable giving out freebies provided our season ticket sales continue to rise.
08-03-2014 10:53 PM
RoyK Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia
Interesting. But wouldn't he need support from an existing conference to accomplish this. I see no way the other g-5s would allow them access which would eat into their profit or am I wrong about this.
08-03-2014 10:59 PM
WKUYG Away
Hall of Famer

(08-03-2014 10:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 09:15 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  Psssst....you may be talking to his brother. They seem a lot alike.

We're not fighting giving out freebies the last two years. We're fighting twenty years of incompetence at the FBS level. We're fighting the fact that we had to give out freebies in the early part of this century in order to survive.

The reality is, our ticket sales have gone up the last several years after bottoming out in the final years of Roberts and Lee.

And there are cases when Freebies work. That ULM game I spoke of. We picked up several major donors that day. All businesses in Little Rock who had never given ASU a dime, but instead chose to split their donations between Arkansas and ASU. If we didn't give them freebies that day, they may never have donated.

I am completely comfortable giving out freebies provided our season ticket sales continue to rise.

I'm in the same thought mode on expanding a stadium for seating..

till a school is getting about 70% full with season tickets not counting students never add seats. Till you make a ticket hard to get ...

everyone wants to wait for game day and get the cheapo ticket

So if you have a 30+ stadium and 10,000 unsold seats for every game people know they can get a ticket without buying the season ticket
08-03-2014 10:59 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(08-03-2014 10:59 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 10:53 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(08-03-2014 09:23 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Psssst don't tell anyone but after looking closer at ASU's dollar numbers today...

I'm in the same thought mode on expanding a stadium for seating..

till a school is getting about 70% full with season tickets not counting students never add seats. Till you make a ticket hard to get ...

everyone wants to wait for game day and get the cheapo ticket

So if you have a 30+ stadium and 10,000 unsold seats for every game people know they can get a ticket without buying the season ticket

We're not expanding any time soon. We are adding Luxury boxes at a high price rate that we have nearly sold out already...but that's not really expansion.

We're about 60 percent tickets sold capacity wise. Best way to tell is to look at our game against Georgia State last year when it was 20 degrees and rainy and no one showed up. We reported 19K. Which is Tickets sold.
08-03-2014 11:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.