Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
BE officials missed a FG call during UCONN/CUSE game
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCONN
BE officials missed a FG call during UCONN/CUSE game
First, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to whine. UCONN could have played better and CUSE probably deserved to win. However, BE official missed a FG and called it an out clearly changed the momentum of the game. I have no idea why it is not reviewed. However, this is totally unacceptable and the BE needs to change this or it will cause more games if officials are stupid enough to miss a FG call. BTW, I watched on TV many times and there is no doubt that was a FG.

Simply put, UConn FB must get better
By: John F. Silver, Journal Inquirer
11/20/2006
email this storyEmail to a friendpost a commentPost a Commentprinter friendlyPrinter-friendly
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - Leave it to senior kicker Matt Nuzie to create controversy even when he makes a kick.

Advertisement

The University of Connecticut senior has run the gamut of kicking situations in his career, from game-winning pressure kicks to missed chip shots.
Kickers either make kicks or miss them. There isn't anything difficult about the job description.
So there is Nuzie, who is only kicking when the distance is over 40 yards, lined up for a 45-yard field goal in the third quarter against Syracuse and the Huskies trailing 10-7. He blasts the kick a right and watches the ball curl just in over the right upright. Nuzie, along with holder Matt Bonislawski, begins to celebrate.
Not so fast.
The officials under the goalpost looked at one another and signaled no good. No indication if it was wide right. The television replays did show the kick sneaking in the right post. Maybe it was too high.
Nuzie was stunned.
"If it's true that's unacceptable, but that's the breaks. I thought I made the kick, but it is unthinkable that something that is so cut and clear could be wrong," he said after the Huskies 20-14 loss. "I wasn't angry, I was in shock. I never experienced something like that. It is unthinkable if it's true."
Syracuse didn't complain, and took the ensuing drive 72 yards for a touchdown to go up 17-7. That was game, set, match for the Huskies.
UConn coach Randy Edsall didn't want to comment on the kick on Saturday, and had still yet to see the television replay of the kick, which he has Tivo-ed at home.
"I couldn't tell on tape (Sunday)," Edsall said. "I have people I trust, and have watched it on TV and told me what they thought it was. I would like to take a look at it first. I know what I have been told. There is nothing we can do about it now. We have to live with that."

UConn will probably have to live with sitting home without a bowl bid for the second straight season. The Huskies will have to defeat Cincinnati, 30-11 winners over No. 7 Rutgers, and at Louisville to earn bowl eligibility.
In other words: Hold off travel reservations.
UConn's hopes were high after a 46-45 double overtime win against Pittsburgh, but now those bowl hopes have come crashing down.
"The Pittsburgh win means nothing now," running back Donald Brown II said. "We had to win this week for the (Pittsburgh) win to mean something."
The missed/made kick is a microcosm of what happened to UConn against Syracuse, which hadn't won a Big East Conference game in two years.
UConn took its first drive 81 yards in 16 plays, and then couldn't move the ball. The blown call was inexplicable, as was the Huskies' offensive performance against a Syracuse defense that surrendered more than 500 yards of offense in a loss to South Florida.
The Huskies were beaten up front on both sides of the ball. The Orange rushed for 163 yards against a poor-tackling defense and controlled the ball.
UConn's offensive line is decimated with injuries, and the dam broke on Saturday. After running for 404 yards in his first two starts, Brown had 67 yards on 18 carries with the bulk of that coming on three big gainers. The rest of the carries were stuffed as the revamped offensive line could muster only 70 net yards rushing.
Matt Applebaum was shifted to right tackle from left guard and Brian Kersmanc was moved to left guard from the right. Immanuel Hutcherson returned to right guard. Edsall has limited options on the line with three starters out with injury, and he has only eight players to shuffle around. He may need to reshuffle the deck again Saturday verse Cincinnati.
"I don't think we played as well as we needed to this week," Edsall said. "We'll see what we can do this week. We might take a look at different things, see the best way we can go."
There aren't many options on the roster for Edsall. The Huskies have had 10 games to improve and the light isn't suddenly going to go on. The improvement UConn is going to have to make will take place in the offseason.
The offensive line is going to have to get healthy, the quarterback play needs to be more consistent and the wide receivers need to get open and make plays.
On defense, the Huskies need to find a pass rush and tackle better.
On special teams, making a field goal now and then would help.
Nuzie thought he had one on Saturday. UConn thought it had one too.
John Silver is a Journal Inquirer staff writer.

http://[/url][url]http://www.journalinquirer.com/site/news...9454&rfi=6
11-20-2006 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse

The official was in position, standing directly under the upright. That is the only place from which you can accurately make that call. Fans and TV angles can't give you the view the officials have. The ball might of looked good when it hit the net but the net is well behind the goal posts. The ball had draw.

FYI: The ref can not determine which way the ball would bounce if it hit the goal posts (extended upward to infinity) so if it was that close the proper call is "no good".

Bottomline: Kick it down the middle.

Cuse beat UConn in every phase of the game on Saturday.
11-20-2006 02:43 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

TexanMark Wrote:The official was in position, standing directly under the upright. That is the only place from which you can accurately make that call. Fans and TV angles can't give you the view the officials have. The ball might of looked good when it hit the net but the net is well behind the goal posts. The ball had draw.

FYI: The ref can not determine which way the ball would bounce if it hit the goal posts (extended upward to infinity) so if it was that close the proper call is "no good".

Bottomline: Kick it down the middle.

Cuse beat UConn in every phase of the game on Saturday.

Not only did SU beat Uconn in every phase of the game, they could not score anymore until the end of the 4th quarter. There was no change in momentum, because Uconn had very little momentum. Uconn lost the game fare and square.
11-20-2006 02:56 PM
Find all posts by this user
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Clearly outplayed? I don't think so. CUSE did not out play UCONN. It was a close game. CUSE got some serious homer calls that resulted in the win. However, any number of these critical calls could have gone the other way. Below is something I copied from a thread on the UCONN board about 4 HUGE missed calls that could have turned the game, especially that WR fumble that UCONN picked up that could have resulted in 6 for UCONN instead of a TD for CUSE.

Here are some responses from Orangtradition44 from the Cuse board (#1,2,3 and 4 are from an UCONN fan while responses are from an CUSE fan):

(11/19/06 7:44:40 pm)
Reply New Post Re: That refree should be suspended I was at the game, so I don't have the benefit of instant, super-slow-mo replays, although I did watch the last quarter on replay but I thought I'd comment on a couple of these bad calls...

Bad calls today:

1. Missed FG call

I sit in the endzone, but off to one side. The field goal looked real close. We couldn't tell if it was good until the ref signaled no good. But I will say this... there is only ONE position in the entire stadium where you can accurately gauge a good field goal. Directly under the post. Only one guy had that vantage point... the ref.

2. WR fumble instead of UCONN ball, they gave it to CUSE that led to a TD

I don't remember this play, and didn't re-watch the first half, so I'll look for it on the replay tonight.

3. Missed holding call that resulted in a long 30 yard run for their RB Carter

When griping about calls (which all fans do), don't mention holding. We ALL know that holding can be called on every play. In fact, there was an insanely blantant hold by a UConn lineman yesterday, where you're lineman had been totally beaten so he actually reached across the chest of our dlineman and held his opposite shoulder. No call. Holding is such a touchy call, it's tough to really ***** about cause for every missed call on the opponent, there's at least one on your team as well.

4. Fumble in 4th Qtr that was given back to CUSE

That was a fumble. Couldn't Randy have asked for a review? I couldn't believe it wasn't reviewed, though I'm glad it wasn't. He probably wanted to save his timeouts.

The hold that led to a Carter 30 yards run was so painfully obvious. Even your homer announcer Simms said it was a hild as well as that FG. They showed it on TV multiple times and the FG was good with the camera from back of the endzone.
==============================================

I don't even care how teams played but these were HUGE plays that clearly gave a huge unfair advantage to CUSE when they did not earned it on the field.
11-20-2006 03:50 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:Clearly outplayed? I don't think so. CUSE did not out play UCONN. It was a close game. CUSE got some serious homer calls that resulted in the win. However, any number of these critical calls could have gone the other way. Below is something I copied from a thread on the UCONN board about 4 HUGE missed calls that could have turned the game, especially that WR fumble that UCONN picked up that could have resulted in 6 for UCONN instead of a TD for CUSE.

Here are some responses from Orangtradition44 from the Cuse board (#1,2,3 and 4 are from an UCONN fan while responses are from an CUSE fan):

(11/19/06 7:44:40 pm)
Reply New Post Re: That refree should be suspended I was at the game, so I don't have the benefit of instant, super-slow-mo replays, although I did watch the last quarter on replay but I thought I'd comment on a couple of these bad calls...

Bad calls today:

1. Missed FG call

I sit in the endzone, but off to one side. The field goal looked real close. We couldn't tell if it was good until the ref signaled no good. But I will say this... there is only ONE position in the entire stadium where you can accurately gauge a good field goal. Directly under the post. Only one guy had that vantage point... the ref.

2. WR fumble instead of UCONN ball, they gave it to CUSE that led to a TD

I don't remember this play, and didn't re-watch the first half, so I'll look for it on the replay tonight.

3. Missed holding call that resulted in a long 30 yard run for their RB Carter

When griping about calls (which all fans do), don't mention holding. We ALL know that holding can be called on every play. In fact, there was an insanely blantant hold by a UConn lineman yesterday, where you're lineman had been totally beaten so he actually reached across the chest of our dlineman and held his opposite shoulder. No call. Holding is such a touchy call, it's tough to really ***** about cause for every missed call on the opponent, there's at least one on your team as well.

4. Fumble in 4th Qtr that was given back to CUSE

That was a fumble. Couldn't Randy have asked for a review? I couldn't believe it wasn't reviewed, though I'm glad it wasn't. He probably wanted to save his timeouts.

The hold that led to a Carter 30 yards run was so painfully obvious. Even your homer announcer Simms said it was a hild as well as that FG. They showed it on TV multiple times and the FG was good with the camera from back of the endzone.
==============================================

I don't even care how teams played but these were HUGE plays that clearly gave a huge unfair advantage to CUSE when they did not earned it on the field.

Cuse OL/DL dominated UConn avg yds gained per rushing/passing attempt well in SU's favor nuf said

How many holding calls did UConn get called for? ZERO Yeah UConn never held

UConn has a real young team and it was inferior to SU on Saturday.
11-20-2006 03:58 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:Cuse OL/DL dominated UConn avg yds gained per rushing/passing attempt well in SU's favor nuf said

That might or might not be true, but it does not change the fact that the ref took 3 points away on the FG and probably another 7 on the WR fumble return that could have been UCONN 7 instead of led to a CUSE 7. That's 17 points swing right there whether you want to admit it or not. Everything is about momentum in football and those calls definitely did not help UCONN's cause. The truth is it is not just one call, it is multiple and that FG miss was totally ridicules. You can watch it yourself on replays if you like.

The bottom line is those refs should be suspended and not call any other BE games cause their mistakes turned a game a certain way.
11-20-2006 04:57 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:
Quote:Cuse OL/DL dominated UConn avg yds gained per rushing/passing attempt well in SU's favor nuf said

That might or might not be true, but it does not change the fact that the ref took 3 points away on the FG and probably another 7 on the WR fumble return that could have been UCONN 7 instead of led to a CUSE 7. That's 17 points swing right there whether you want to admit it or not. Everything is about momentum in football and those calls definitely did not help UCONN's cause. The truth is it is not just one call, it is multiple and that FG miss was totally ridicules. You can watch it yourself on replays if you like.

The bottom line is those refs should be suspended and not call any other BE games cause their mistakes turned a game a certain way.

Like I said--the best place to see if the ball is good or not is right under the goalpost. TV replays have distortion and it doesn't always show where the ball was at the precise point of crossing the goalpost.
11-20-2006 05:26 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:

Like I said--the best place to see if the ball is good or not is right under the goalpost. TV replays have distortion and it doesn't always show where the ball was at the precise point of crossing the goalpost.

No offense, but there is no way the refs under the goal post got a better picture than the one that's on TV. If it is not a FG, no one would print it all over every newspaper. There was clearly a dispute and that was a good FG, even your homer announcer said so. That was a huge call and killed any UCONN momentum we had, especially for a very young team.
11-20-2006 07:07 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:

No offense, but there is no way the refs under the goal post got a better picture than the one that's on TV. If it is not a FG, no one would print it all over every newspaper. There was clearly a dispute and that was a good FG, even your homer announcer said so. That was a huge call and killed any UCONN momentum we had, especially for a very young team.

03-hissyfit 03-hissyfit 03-hissyfit
11-20-2006 09:28 PM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

TexanMark Wrote:The official was in position, standing directly under the upright. That is the only place from which you can accurately make that call. Fans and TV angles can't give you the view the officials have. The ball might of looked good when it hit the net but the net is well behind the goal posts. The ball had draw.

I was just going to mention that.

The only way someone on TV could tell is if there was a TV lens at the top of the post...and/or some type of laser that shoots straight up.

That's why the refs stand right BELOW the post...as its the only place to see whether a kick that is above the plane of the post...is either inside or outside the post.

I laugh everytime when some fans say "TV shows it was good"...really? Where was the TV camera? Was it below the post? Answer is...always NO!
11-20-2006 10:01 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:

Homer Announcer? who is that? Dave Sims on the TV broadcast or the SU radio guys?

Do you have a link to the numerous pictures? does the picture shwo three dimensionally where the ball is when it crosses the plane of the goal post?
11-20-2006 10:02 PM
Advertisement

KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

SF Husky Wrote:No offense, but there is no way the refs under the goal post got a better picture than the one that's on TV. If it is not a FG, no one would print it all over every newspaper. There was clearly a dispute and that was a good FG, even your homer announcer said so. That was a huge call and killed any UCONN momentum we had, especially for a very young team.

You don't always believe what you write....correct?

Your above statement was a joke...right...and your forgot your ;-) after your first sentence.

Ok...thought so...next time...don't forget to add your emoticons to your post. 01-lauramac2
11-20-2006 10:03 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:
Re: BE officials missed a FG call during UCONN/CUSE game
SF Husky Wrote:He blasts the kick a right and watches the ball curl just in over the right upright.

How many more times do you need to be told this before it gets through your frickin' skull? The key word here is OVER. If the upright were higher, the ball would have hit it. Kick no good. Is it that difficult to understand?
11-20-2006 10:28 PM
zibby Offline
All American

I Root For:

Just for all you whiny, crybaby, pissy, clueless Husky fans, I did some Googling for you:

Chicago Tribune's Ask the Ref Column featuring former NFL referee Jerry Markbreit: Linky. See the fourth question.

Q&A with Curt Johnson, high school and college football official: Linky. The field goal question is about half-way down the page. Do a search for the phrase "no good" and you'll be taken right to it.

If you've gotten this far and haven't figured it out yet, let me know so I can add you to my Ignore List.
11-20-2006 10:47 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

Re: BE officials missed a FG call during UCONN/CUSE game
zibby Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:He blasts the kick a right and watches the ball curl just in over the right upright.

How many more times do you need to be told this before it gets through your frickin' skull? The key word here is OVER. If the upright were higher, the ball would have hit it. Kick no good. Is it that difficult to understand?

Did you watch the game? If you did not, then shut the F up.
11-20-2006 11:08 PM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:

Homer Announcer? who is that? Dave Sims on the TV broadcast or the SU radio guys?

Do you have a link to the numerous pictures? does the picture shwo three dimensionally where the ball is when it crosses the plane of the goal post?

Dave Sims I think that's his name. No I don't have the pictures but I do have Live TV pause and I watched a bunch of times during the game. David Sims apparently agrees with me on some of those calls and he was watching the same game.
11-20-2006 11:09 PM
Advertisement

SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

KnightLight Wrote:

The only way someone on TV could tell is if there was a TV lens at the top of the post...and/or some type of laser that shoots straight up.

That's why the refs stand right BELOW the post...as its the only place to see whether a kick that is above the plane of the post...is either inside or outside the post.

I laugh everytime when some fans say "TV shows it was good"...really? Where was the TV camera? Was it below the post? Answer is...always NO!

I suppose you are one of those moron flamers who did not even watch the game but decided to jump in and give your useless opinion? If you did not see the game then shut the F up too cause you have no clue what you are talking about.
11-20-2006 11:10 PM
cuseroc Offline
Super Moderator

Donators

SF Husky Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:

I suppose you are one of those moron flamers who did not even watch the game but decided to jump in and give your useless opinion? If you did not see the game then shut the F up too cause you have no clue what you are talking about.

SF, I'm sorry man, but you would look better and more mature if you just let this die . Uconn lost. You seem to be bitter and petty over a game that you guys deserved to lose because of bad play. If Uconn was as good as you think they are, they should have never been in a position to lose to a team like Syracuse 01-wingedeagle .
11-20-2006 11:23 PM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:
TexanMark Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:

Dave Sims I think that's his name. No I don't have the pictures but I do have Live TV pause and I watched a bunch of times during the game. David Sims apparently agrees with me on some of those calls and he was watching the same game.

SFHusky you realize Dave Sims has no Syracuse connection? He is hired by ESPN and the Big East. http://www.bethanywv.edu/welcome/news/ne...ge-campus/ To call him a Syracuse homer seems a stretch don't you think?

You claimed the pic was all over every newspaper but have showed me no proof...makes me think you are making stuff up.

The ball must clearly be inside the upright extended upward to infinity. All I can go on is the referee standing directly under the upright. Ofcourse you believe TV is truth source.

I'll call truce and admit we paid off the officials and UConn should've won despite being pushed around all day. Oh and Dave Sims played QB for SU in the 70s while going to college in WV.
11-21-2006 12:56 AM
SF Husky Offline
Hall of Famer

cuseroc Wrote:
SF Husky Wrote:
KnightLight Wrote:

SF, I'm sorry man, but you would look better and more mature if you just let this die . Uconn lost. You seem to be bitter and petty over a game that you guys deserved to lose because of bad play. If Uconn was as good as you think they are, they should have never been in a position to lose to a team like Syracuse 01-wingedeagle .

I will be the first to admit UCONN played like crap and probably did not deserve to win. However, it still does not change the fact that the refs blew multiple calls in the game. If the calls were right, I have no idea what would have happened in the game. My whole point was the ref had way too much influence in this game.
11-21-2006 02:24 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.