Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Time Warner Agrees to Carry SEC Network
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...4/TWC.aspx
Quote:Time Warner Cable, the country's second biggest cable operator, has agreed to carry SEC Network as of its Aug. 14 launch. Bright House Networks also will carry the channel, bringing its distribution footprint up to 60 million homes. The deals leave DirecTV, Charter and Verizon as the only big SEC-area distributors that have not cut a deal. DirecTV and Charter sources say they expect to carry the channel before its first regular-season SEC football game, Aug. 28.

Distributors are paying $1.40 per subscriber per month for the channel within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. The channel will be on expanded basic tiers within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Just last week, the country's biggest distributor, Comcast, signed a deal to carry the channel, joining a roster that includes AT&T, Cox and Dish Network.

04-cheers

03-woohoo
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2014 04:17 PM by 10thMountain.)
07-24-2014 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
RE: Time Warner Agrees to Carry SEC Network
(07-24-2014 03:53 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...4/TWC.aspx
Quote:Time Warner Cable, the country's second biggest cable operator, has agreed to carry SEC Network as of its Aug. 14 launch. Bright House Networks also will carry the channel, bringing its distribution footprint up to 60 million homes. The deals leave DirecTV, Charter and Verizon as the only big SEC-area distributors that have not cut a deal. DirecTV and Charter sources say they expect to carry the channel before its first regular-season SEC football game, Aug. 28.

Distributors are paying $1.40 per subscriber per month for the channel within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. The channel will be on expanded basic tiers within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Just last week, the country's biggest distributor, Comcast, signed a deal to carry the channel, joining a roster that includes AT&T, Cox and Dish Network.

04-cheers

Holy Hell!
07-24-2014 03:57 PM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: SEC
(07-24-2014 03:53 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily...4/TWC.aspx

04-cheers

03-woohoo

We are way ahead of the expected schedule 10th. That's great news. If only DirectTV signs up before the 28th of August we are in fantastic shape. Charter has issues and Verizon while nice is not crucial.
07-24-2014 04:19 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
SEC is running laps around B1G.
07-24-2014 04:24 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(07-24-2014 03:57 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 03:53 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Distributors are paying $1.40 per subscriber per month for the channel within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. ]The channel will be on expanded basic tiers within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Just last week, the country's biggest distributor, Comcast, signed a deal to carry the channel, joining a roster that includes AT&T, Cox and Dish Network.

04-cheers

Holy Hell!

This is about similar money to the Big Ten Network. They were able to get $1.00 per subscriber (on average) inside their footprint, but got more basic cable clearances. Nationally expanded basic is about 70 million subscribers compared to 99 million basic subscribers (28.6% more). What I don't know is how many cable subscribers in the SE have more than basic cable compared to the rest of the country.

But I will say they are getting this done a lot faster than I thought they would. Probably because they accepted the expanded tier and did not push for basic like everyone else does.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 04:59 PM by adcorbett.)
07-24-2014 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Shannon Panther Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Pitt

Donators
What is the split? The B1G network splits it 50-50. If it is even 60-40, that is .84 per subscriber rather than .50.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-24-2014 04:50 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-24-2014 04:26 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 03:57 PM)Dasville Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 03:53 PM)10thMountain Wrote:  Distributors are paying $1.40 per subscriber per month for the channel within the SEC's 11-state footprint and $0.25 per month outside of it. ]The channel will be on expanded basic tiers within SEC territory and digital basic outside of it. Just last week, the country's biggest distributor, Comcast, signed a deal to carry the channel, joining a roster that includes AT&T, Cox and Dish Network.

04-cheers

Holy Hell!

This is about similar money to the Big Ten Network. They were able to get $1.00 per subscriber (on average) inside their footprint, but got more basic cable clearances. Nationally expanded basic is about 70 million subscribers compared to 99 million basic subscribers (28.6% more). What I don't know is how many cable subscribers in the SE have more than basic cable compared to the rest of the country.

But I will say they are getting this done a lot faster than I thought they would. Probably because they accepted the expanded tier and did not push for basic like everyone else does.
[/quote]

They're doing pretty well. Surprised Verizon isn't on. They were on some of the others pretty quickly. TW, Comcast and DirectTV have been the laggards.
07-24-2014 10:06 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(07-24-2014 04:50 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  What is the split? The B1G network splits it 50-50. If it is even 60-40, that is .84 per subscriber rather than .50.

Espn owns the network 100%. But had agreed to pay the sec a share of revenues.
07-24-2014 10:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
He1nousOne Offline
The One you Love to Hate.

I Root For: Iowa/ASU
(07-24-2014 04:24 PM)Dasville Wrote:  SEC is running laps around B1G.

Within the footprint...per subscriber. Its not all that much more if any at all than what The Big Ten pulls within it's footprint, which has a larger population.

Running laps around? Do try to stick to reality please.

Congrats to the SEC folks, having an SEC Network to watch the rest of the teams will be great for you.

It is amusing to watch folks either completely lose touch with reality just because they have some strange anti Big Ten bias that causes them to have to try to distort the reality of the situation.
07-25-2014 02:12 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-24-2014 10:12 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(07-24-2014 04:50 PM)Shannon Panther Wrote:  What is the split? The B1G network splits it 50-50. If it is even 60-40, that is .84 per subscriber rather than .50.

That's a fully distilled statement that is so distilled that it misses the reality of the agreement. The SEC paid the overhead upfront for the campus locations and facilities for the network. The SEC retains the right to purchase the network as things develop. It is true that ESPN owns 100% of it at the start, but options are built in. I've heard that there is a 50/50 split but haven't seen it in writing yet so who knows on shares at this time. Suffice it to say it will be lucrative and the next couple of years may indicate just how lucrative.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 04:30 AM by JRsec.)
07-25-2014 04:30 AM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
The pending sale of Time Warner to Charter and Comcast could make this interesting if Charter drags its feet. I live in a Time Warner market that is headed to Charter, who ironically was the franchisee before selling to Insight (who was acquired by Time Warner).
07-25-2014 05:12 AM
Advertisement

Lurker Above Online
1st String

I Root For: UGA
(07-25-2014 04:30 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's a fully distilled statement that is so distilled that it misses the reality of the agreement. The SEC paid the overhead upfront for the campus locations and facilities for the network. The SEC retains the right to purchase the network as things develop. It is true that ESPN owns 100% of it at the start, but options are built in. I've heard that there is a 50/50 split but haven't seen it in writing yet so who knows on shares at this time. Suffice it to say it will be lucrative and the next couple of years may indicate just how lucrative.

JR, There were several sources that reported the SEC Network profits would be split 50/50 between ESPN and the SEC. Here is one:
http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/5/6/4...its-evenly

Also, for those still in denial, ESPN owns 100% of the Network but the SEC retains 100% of the content, which is waaay more important. In 20 years what will be a "network" anyway?
07-25-2014 05:33 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(07-25-2014 05:12 AM)chargeradio Wrote:  The pending sale of Time Warner to Charter and Comcast could make this interesting if Charter drags its feet. I live in a Time Warner market that is headed to Charter, who ironically was the franchisee before selling to Insight (who was acquired by Time Warner).

Charter already has the Longhorn Network. I'm sure they'll come on board eventually. Probably sooner rather than later.
07-25-2014 08:00 AM
curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
50% of Profits, Not 50% of Revenue.
07-25-2014 09:16 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Great that time warner was so quick to pick up SECN so quickly before launch and not have to spend years begging them to carry us unlike other school networks...
07-25-2014 10:15 AM
JRsec Offline
Super Moderator

(07-25-2014 05:33 AM)Lurker Above Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 04:30 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

JR, There were several sources that reported the SEC Network profits would be split 50/50 between ESPN and the SEC. Here is one:
http://www.teamspeedkills.com/2013/5/6/4...its-evenly

Also, for those still in denial, ESPN owns 100% of the Network but the SEC retains 100% of the content, which is waaay more important. In 20 years what will be a "network" anyway?

Thanks for the link. I wasn't worried about it. My memory is good even if I've been distracted lately. I do recall a buy in clause from some of the early information released, but you are correct as along as we own 100% of the content what difference does it make. I worded my response the way I did because I didn't have time to dig for the reference to the 50/50 split. I have excellent reading retention and read no fiction. I get tired of digging for sources for information that the average contentious poster here could find with a reasonably worded Google search. Throw in those who just want to spin aspects of numbers and argue over minutia when the big picture is perfectly clear and the tedium approaches a level not worth responding to. I appreciate your efforts to keep it accurate and concise.
07-25-2014 12:06 PM
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
Does this mean that TWC will raise their rates for premium channel subscribers?
07-25-2014 12:10 PM
prp Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tartans!
It's not just profits. The conferences still get paid rights fees from the network for any content they provide, typically for around market value of whatever they're worth. That comes out of network expenses and happens long before the ESPN/Fox ever see their cut. The profits, if there are any, will get split with the partner, but that's more or less bonus money to the conferences. The Big 10, for example, gets $100 million from BTN up front and then gets paid again out of a split of profits, if there are any.
07-25-2014 12:54 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(07-25-2014 12:06 PM)JRsec Wrote:  Thanks for the link. I wasn't worried about it. My memory is good even if I've been distracted lately. I do recall a buy in clause from some of the early information released, but you are correct as along as we own 100% of the content what difference does it make. I worded my response the way I did because I didn't have time to dig for the reference to the 50/50 split. I have excellent reading retention and read no fiction. I get tired of digging for sources for information that the average contentious poster here could find with a reasonably worded Google search. Throw in those who just want to spin aspects of numbers and argue over minutia when the big picture is perfectly clear and the tedium approaches a level not worth responding to. I appreciate your efforts to keep it accurate and concise.

The problem with your "excellent retention" is you jumped on my **** to discredit my post, even though my post is 100% accurate.
07-25-2014 04:58 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

(07-25-2014 12:54 PM)prp Wrote:  It's not just profits. The conferences still get paid rights fees from the network for any content they provide, typically for around market value of whatever they're worth. That comes out of network expenses and happens long before the ESPN/Fox ever see their cut. The profits, if there are any, will get split with the partner, but that's more or less bonus money to the conferences. The Big 10, for example, gets $100 million from BTN up front and then gets paid again out of a split of profits, if there are any.

The Big Ten does. But the SEC may not, or may not at the rate the Big Ten did, because the SEC was already "paid" for those fees in the initial contract (The ACC would face the same issue BTW). But, because the contract explicitly barred a conference network (which means it barred it on both sides) they likely reworked some of the numbers to be beneficial on both sides. But that is not exactly public.
07-25-2014 05:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.