Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Which True Freshman Will Play?
Bookmark and Share
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
Just curious which true freshman you think won't get redshirted? Which of them will play, and how big that role will be?

IMO, I think Christian Blake, Ezra Saffold (maybe not since they are loaded at slot receiver but not outside), Ruben Dunbar, and either Deion Hallmon or Mayomi Olootu (potentially both, I think one of them starts).

That's what I'm thinking, curious on your thoughts and who you think will be a standout.
07-23-2014 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Which True Freshman Will Play?
Unless the WRs are super studs, they might not see time. the DBs have a better chance as I think we have quantity but not quality there.
07-23-2014 03:13 PM
RedandBlackAttack Offline
1st String

(07-23-2014 03:12 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Just curious which true freshman you think won't get redshirted? Which of them will play, and how big that role will be?

IMO, I think Christian Blake, Ezra Saffold (maybe not since they are loaded at slot receiver but not outside), Ruben Dunbar, and either Deion Hallmon or Mayomi Olootu (potentially both, I think one of them starts).

That's what I'm thinking, curious on your thoughts and who you think will be a standout.

Dunbar, Hallmon, and Olootu will probably be the only ones. We have so much depth at WR that I don't believe the freshman receivers will play.
07-23-2014 03:13 PM
Kansacity88 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU, ILL, & ISU
I think Hallmon starts but Olootu gets significant PT with the off chance of starting later in in the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-23-2014 03:14 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Until the freshman are in camp, can not be sure of what we have. Hallmon had offers but will he live up to hype? (I hope he does)
07-23-2014 03:16 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(07-23-2014 03:13 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:12 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  Just curious which true freshman you think won't get redshirted? Which of them will play, and how big that role will be?

Dunbar, Hallmon, and Olootu will probably be the only ones. We have so much depth at WR that I don't believe the freshman receivers will play.
Who is this depth you speak of? You have Da'Ron, Tommy, and Canada and a bunch of dudes with little expierence. I think Turner and Beebe have potential, but you combine them with Tommy and Brinlee and you have 4 little dudes running around out there. A true freshman reciever who has size will probably play, most likely Blake.

Blake, Dunbar, Hallmon, and Olootu will all play I bet. Maybe another true freshmen DB as well.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 03:20 PM by 7.)
07-23-2014 03:19 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Hallmon NOT. Corners Hunt, Texas guy. Dunbar reminds me of Shantone's girlfriend; heard a lot a about her, but never saw her play

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-23-2014 03:20 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

See I don't think NIU is loaded at WR. I think they have two studs, a handful of guys that have a lot of potential (most of which play slot receiver) and then it's a guessing game. I think Da'Ron and Brescacin are the only ones we know for sure that can play the X and Z receiver (exterior) and then I think there's opportunity for Blake and Malik Mitchell to get a lot of playing time.

At CB it's going to be Paris Logan starting and then the named Anthony Brooks, and from what I've seen/heard, I think either Olootu or Hallmon could easily take that spot.
07-23-2014 03:21 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(07-23-2014 03:21 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  See I don't think NIU is loaded at WR. I think they have two studs, a handful of guys that have a lot of potential (most of which play slot receiver) and then it's a guessing game. I think Da'Ron and Brescacin are the only ones we know for sure that can play the X and Z receiver (exterior) and then I think there's opportunity for Blake and Malik Mitchell to get a lot of playing time.

At CB it's going to be Paris Logan starting and then the named Anthony Brooks, and from what I've seen/heard, I think either Olootu or Hallmon could easily take that spot.
What this guy said. I think both Mitchell and Blake will play. NIU normally plays 7-8 recievers.

Brown
Lewis
Canada
Turner
Beebe
Brinlee
Mitchell
Blake

Would be my guess 4 the 8. At least you're 2 deep at the X and Y then.
07-23-2014 03:24 PM
HuskieJWN Offline
All American

(07-23-2014 03:20 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Hallmon NOT. Corners Hunt, Texas guy. Dunbar reminds me of Shantone's girlfriend; heard a lot a about her, but never saw her play

Just curious why you say no on Hallmon? Which Texas guy? Johnson or Olootu? And fill me in on your Tifonte Hunt theory?
07-23-2014 03:30 PM
klake87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Until camp opens all just speculation on who will see the field. Of the new guys coming in, my money is on Compton being in the rotation at DE. He has two years under his belt.
07-23-2014 03:41 PM
Advertisement

NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
Hallmon vs Hunt & Olootu - Hallmon from what I saw of tapes he did not move well. He did not appear to have hip flip lile the other 2. He looks more like a safety that needs to get in the weight room. We are fine at safety and that is why Hallman won"t see field as FR. Our corners scare me. Need to find someone that can turn and go.

07-23-2014 03:46 PM
1st String

(07-23-2014 03:46 PM)NIU05 Wrote:  Hallmon vs Hunt & Olootu - Hallmon from what I saw of tapes he did not move well. He did not appear to have hip flip lile the other 2. He looks more like a safety that needs to get in the weight room. We are fine at safety and that is why Hallman won"t see field as FR. Our corners scare me. Need to find someone that can turn and go.

Hallmon played in one of the most talent rich counties in the entire country.... The dude can play, and so can Olootu. I haven't seen much on Hunt to base any judgment on whether he can play right away or not.
07-23-2014 03:48 PM
1st String

(07-23-2014 03:19 PM)7 Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:13 PM)RedandBlackAttack Wrote:  

Who is this depth you speak of? You have Da'Ron, Tommy, and Canada and a bunch of dudes with little expierence. I think Turner and Beebe have potential, but you combine them with Tommy and Brinlee and you have 4 little dudes running around out there. A true freshman reciever who has size will probably play, most likely Blake.

Blake, Dunbar, Hallmon, and Olootu will all play I bet. Maybe another true freshmen DB as well.

I feel at slot we are pretty set and the freshman receivers we have coming in are basically slot receivers. Now on the OUTSIDE, there is where we don't have much depth. Outside of Brescacin and maybe Mitchell, I don't see much else out there.
07-23-2014 03:50 PM
RitzHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For:
Without question, most of the DB positions are up for grabs, particularly at corner. Anything can happen with these kids as they bring a big unknown, namely speed.
07-23-2014 03:56 PM
jjprender Offline
Special Teams

(07-23-2014 03:24 PM)7 Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:21 PM)HuskieJWN Wrote:  See I don't think NIU is loaded at WR. I think they have two studs, a handful of guys that have a lot of potential (most of which play slot receiver) and then it's a guessing game. I think Da'Ron and Brescacin are the only ones we know for sure that can play the X and Z receiver (exterior) and then I think there's opportunity for Blake and Malik Mitchell to get a lot of playing time.

What this guy said. I think both Mitchell and Blake will play. NIU normally plays 7-8 recievers.

Brown
Lewis
Canada
Turner
Beebe
Brinlee
Mitchell
Blake

Brescacin?
07-23-2014 03:56 PM
Advertisement

timxlydon Offline
Left Hand Path

(07-23-2014 03:56 PM)jjprender Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:24 PM)7 Wrote:  What this guy said. I think both Mitchell and Blake will play. NIU normally plays 7-8 recievers.

Brown
Lewis
Canada
Turner
Beebe
Brinlee
Mitchell
Blake

Brescacin?

He refers to him as Canada.
07-23-2014 04:03 PM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
Hell, I'd be fine starting both true freshman corners. Can't get any worse than last season.
07-23-2014 04:19 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
What about Glasper and Golloday? They have a shot too. We can use some size, though I don't know much about these guys.
07-23-2014 08:34 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

Golloday has to sit out a year because he's moving up a level. Glasper is always hurt, I wouldn't expect a lot out of him.

Re: Logan. Agree with the general consensus that he was bad last year, but Carey called him the best player in spring ball, so it's pretty much a lock he'll be starting at CB. With Moore moving to S though, there's literally no expierence behind him.

Here are your other CBs on the roster:
25 Emmett Lynch CB 6-0 157 FR Chicago, IL/Rich Central
31 Anthony Brooks CB 5-11 189 RS SO Detroit, MI/Warren Mott
30 Tifonte Hunt CB 5-9 164 FR Harvey, IL/Thornton Township
39 Zeb McLaurin CB 5-11 179 RS FR Chicago, IL/St. Ignatius Prep
32 Jimmy Russell CB 5-10 194 RS FR DeKalb, IL/DeKalb
43 Albert Smalls CB 6-1 206 FR Miramar, FL/Monsignor Pace
28 Will Daniels DB 5-11 207 FR Green Bay, WI/Preble
5 Mayomi Olootu DB 6-2 173 FR Allen, Texas/Allen
21 Deion Hallmon DB 5-10 162 FR Weston, FL/Cypress Bay

It wouldn't be a surprise at all to have a couple true freshmen seeing huge playing time there this year. I think that's how they got some of the talent to come here that they did. I would be pretty damn shocked if Hallmon redshirts, and I think there's a fairly decent shot he's starting opposite Logan against the Hoes.

Logan
Hallmon
Brooks
Olootu

That position is really scary, especially if somebody gets hurt. I would imagine Moore will be playing that Demetrius Stone S/CB position and flipping between the two, though. It looks like they have Mayes working at both spots as well, which will help too. I would guess those are the 5-6 guys who see time there.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 08:47 PM by 7.)
07-23-2014 08:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.