Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FCS conference to FBS
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
FCS conference to FBS
The CAA and Big Sky commissioner have both talked about it. The 2014 plan is what it was called in a 2007 story. The premise is P5 get autonomy then help make a rule change. Something like six schools can move up together from the same conference. Moving up as a group helps the schools and doesn't cause poaching from other conferences.

My guess is if this rules change happens the Big Sky stays intact. Becomes an FBS conference of seven counting Idaho.
The remaining Programs start a FCS football only conference like the MVFC.

NMSU, NDSU are offered all sports invites.
The BSC schools in FCS would then be able to move up when ready or remain FCS.

Football only members might include UC-Davis, CAL-Poly,SDSU and U MASS .
The conference can choose not to offer the stipends to offset the lack of playoff money. Avoiding the unforeseen consequences that they bring.

I imagine keeping travel expenses low and rivalries would make it more appealing for any FCS move up. Also playing in a conference with a level playing field like the MAC.
07-23-2014 02:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: FCS conference to FBS
I dont see anymore schools moving to FBS

Maybe the other way around
07-23-2014 02:16 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: FCS conference to FBS
(07-23-2014 02:16 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  I dont see anymore schools moving to FBS

One more slot for Sun Belt for sure. After that the door could be closed.
07-23-2014 02:18 PM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(07-23-2014 02:18 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Thought Benson said the next team would be an already FBS team
07-23-2014 02:20 PM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
Re: RE: FCS conference to FBS
(07-23-2014 02:20 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 02:18 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Thought Benson said the next team would be an already FBS team
He's said lots of things.
07-23-2014 02:21 PM
Hilltop75 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WKU
You move up for the share of the playoff money
And bowl access...the playoff monies are
10 conferences only through 2025...bowls
Are set too. News flash with the exception
Of one slot left in the SBC...if you are FCS
The ship has sailed
07-23-2014 02:46 PM
Advertisement

ValleyBoy Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: GaSo,Troy
The CAA and Big Sky Commissioners can talk all they want about there conferences moving to FBS. All it would ever be is just talk.
07-23-2014 02:48 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Delaware, Elon, JMU, W&M, and Towson are the only full members in CAA to begin with. If CAAF wants to move up, what would happen to those AE associate members, Richmond, Villanova, and Rhodey?

It's the same with the Big Sky...FBS doesn't need two teams from Idaho. Now we'd have three? Utah needs five? Colorado State's FBS well-being is on the line with their OCS, but the door's open for the much smaller Northern Colorado?

I'm not like some...I think certain conferences would open their doors to certain FCS programs (like Montana, Delaware, JMU, and maybe a few others), but if you aren't on that list, don't count on your conference making the move.
07-23-2014 03:19 PM
Cnelson203 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall; WVU
With the exception of one SunBelt move, which isn't guaranteed if the playoff rule is modified, I doubt there would be any kind of move up.

Yes, I can see a remote possibility of UMass going to C-USA for football only with some guaranteed basketball games to sweeten the pot, plus maybe one other football only to even it out. But that is highly doubtful, and I'm not sure who would be #16 for football only anyway. I don't think is much on the minds of C-USA fans. The only reason I even mention it is that Banowsky has talked about 16 in the past, although our Presidents shot him down.

I'm not advocating for that either. My main point is that all I can see is one possible move up to the SunBelt. Anything beyond that seems remote and unlikely.
07-23-2014 03:37 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

(07-23-2014 03:19 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Delaware, Elon, JMU, W&M, and Towson are the only full members in CAA to begin with. If CAAF wants to move up, what would happen to those AE associate members, Richmond, Villanova, and Rhodey?

It's the same with the Big Sky...FBS doesn't need two teams from Idaho. Now we'd have three? Utah needs five? Colorado State's FBS well-being is on the line with their OCS, but the door's open for the much smaller Northern Colorado?

I'm not like some...I think certain conferences would open their doors to certain FCS programs (like Montana, Delaware, JMU, and maybe a few others), but if you aren't on that list, don't count on your conference making the move.

The whole conference would not have to move up just six schools. NAU, ISU, NCU, UND, EWU and SUU would form a FCS football only conference. They would stay in the BSC for Olympic sports . These schools would benefit from having a future path to FBS. The different football groups still play just at the FBS school. The fee could be set bye the conference even scheduling the games.
07-23-2014 03:49 PM
The Sicatoka Online
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
(07-23-2014 03:49 PM)MJG Wrote:  The whole conference would not have to move up just six schools. NAU, ISU, NCU, UND, EWU and SUU would form a FCS football only conference. They would stay in the BSC for Olympic sports . These schools would benefit from having a future path to FBS. The different football groups still play just at the FBS school. The fee could be set bye the conference even scheduling the games.

Your concept is good. Your breakdown is suspect.

The staying FCS crowd would probably be: Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Idaho State, and Weber State.

The Montanas, the States (Portland and Sac), and Eastern Washington and UND would move and you have to assume Idaho would be part of the mix. Current football associates Cal Poly and UC-Davis would take a long look.
07-23-2014 04:02 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(07-23-2014 02:05 PM)MJG Wrote:  The CAA and Big Sky commissioner have both talked about it. The 2014 plan is what it was called in a 2007 story. The premise is P5 get autonomy then help make a rule change. Something like six schools can move up together from the same conference. Moving up as a group helps the schools and doesn't cause poaching from other conferences.

My guess is if this rules change happens the Big Sky stays intact. Becomes an FBS conference of seven counting Idaho.

The conference can choose not to offer the stipends to offset the lack of playoff money. Avoiding the unforeseen consequences that they bring.

I imagine keeping travel expenses low and rivalries would make it more appealing for any FCS move up. Also playing in a conference with a level playing field like the MAC.

The P5 already thinks FBS is too watered down as it is. Why would they want to add another 20 teams? It's not happening. There is nothing in it for the P5 or the G5. What might happen is a few deserving FCS schools might get an opportunity to move up if the MW or AAC is raided by a P5. Otherwise, the Big Sky type schools let thier FBS hopes die with the WAC. Conferences don't move up--schools do. The Big Sky WANTS to stay together. That's why they are where they are. This Big Sky fantasy stuff is silly. Most couldn't meet FBS criteria or afford FBS budgets. Hell, it's more likely some FBS schools will move down than any Big Sky schools moves up.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 04:22 PM by Attackcoog.)
07-23-2014 04:18 PM
NJ2MDTerp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maryland
(07-23-2014 03:19 PM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Delaware, Elon, JMU, W&M, and Towson are the only full members in CAA to begin with. If CAAF wants to move up, what would happen to those AE associate members, Richmond, Villanova, and Rhodey?
Other associate football members include Maine and New Hampshire. New associate members include Albany and Stony Brook.
07-23-2014 04:34 PM
TardisCaptain Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Starfleet Acdmy
(07-23-2014 03:49 PM)MJG Wrote:  

The whole conference would not have to move up just six schools. NAU, ISU, NCU, UND, EWU and SUU would form a FCS football only conference. They would stay in the BSC for Olympic sports . These schools would benefit from having a future path to FBS. The different football groups still play just at the FBS school. The fee could be set bye the conference even scheduling the games.

Would the FCS schools stay in a larger Big Sky (made bigger by more Dakota's, etc.) or jump to the WAC and have an easier time getting to tournaments? Heck the WAC could even start sponsoring FCS football then.
07-23-2014 04:35 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(07-23-2014 04:18 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 02:05 PM)MJG Wrote:  The CAA and Big Sky commissioner have both talked about it. The 2014 plan is what it was called in a 2007 story. The premise is P5 get autonomy then help make a rule change. Something like six schools can move up together from the same conference. Moving up as a group helps the schools and doesn't cause poaching from other conferences.

The P5 already thinks FBS is too watered down as it is. Why would they want to add another 20 teams? It's not happening. There is nothing in it for the P5 or the G5. What might happen is a few deserving FCS schools might get an opportunity to move up if the MW or AAC is raided by a P5. Otherwise, the Big Sky type schools let thier FBS hopes die with the WAC. Conferences don't move up--schools do. The Big Sky WANTS to stay together. That's why they are where they are. This Big Sky fantasy stuff is silly. Most couldn't meet FBS criteria or afford FBS budgets. Hell, it's more likely some FBS schools will move down than any Big Sky schools moves up.

Exactly. Especially now with the new automony rules coming down the pike, that may give the Montana's et. al. to say whew! glad we dodge that financial bullet.

I think you may be right, that some FBS schools will move down because even the extra CFP $$ won't be enough. With budgets cuts it puts even more pressure if you can get enough revenue via ticket sales and etc to cover it.
07-23-2014 04:39 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

(07-23-2014 04:02 PM)The Sicatoka Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:49 PM)MJG Wrote:  The whole conference would not have to move up just six schools. NAU, ISU, NCU, UND, EWU and SUU would form a FCS football only conference. They would stay in the BSC for Olympic sports . These schools would benefit from having a future path to FBS. The different football groups still play just at the FBS school. The fee could be set bye the conference even scheduling the games.

Your concept is good. Your breakdown is suspect.

The staying FCS crowd would probably be: Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, Idaho State, and Weber State.

The Montanas, the States (Portland and Sac), and Eastern Washington and UND would move and you have to assume Idaho would be part of the mix. Current football associates Cal Poly and UC-Davis would take a long look.

UND would be near the top except for the Alerus center.
My guess is you need 16 thousand seats to claim 15 thousand tickets sold. Expanding Memorial and playing late season games in the dome would work.
07-23-2014 04:47 PM
Advertisement

MJG Offline
1st String

(07-23-2014 04:35 PM)TardisCaptain Wrote:  
(07-23-2014 03:49 PM)MJG Wrote:  

Would the FCS schools stay in a larger Big Sky (made bigger by more Dakota's, etc.) or jump to the WAC and have an easier time getting to tournaments? Heck the WAC could even start sponsoring FCS football then.

That could be a possibility or the DAKOTA schools and current football only schools stay football only.
NDSU would be desired for a travel partner for UND.
Adding more all sports members would not be necessary.
The FCS conference could be the WAFC Giving WAC schools a home if they add football.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2014 04:55 PM by MJG.)
07-23-2014 04:54 PM
The Sicatoka Online
All American

I Root For: North Dakota
Ah yes, the oh-so-strictly enforced 15000 number. 03-zzz

About half the MAC plus Idaho get perilously close to or don't make 15000 annually and I'm yet to see repercussions.

2013: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_r...e/2013.pdf
2012: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_r...e/2012.pdf
2011: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_r...e/2011.pdf
2010: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_r...e/2010.pdf
07-23-2014 05:00 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Every time FBS expands it becomes less prestigious to be an FBS school. If this move were to happen it would only make the P5 more likely to say "F**K this s**t".

Personally I think there are too many teams in FBS as things stand now and would prefer to see less than 100 teams at the highest level of CFB.
07-23-2014 05:07 PM
MJG Offline
1st String

Big SKY FBS

Webber ST 17500

Sacremento ST 21500

Montana 25500

Montana ST 21500

Portland ST 20000

Idaho 16000

UND 13500 dome would need Memorial Stadium expansion.

UC-Davis expansion to thirty thousand is 72% funded.
EWU has plans for expansion to twenty five thousand also Albi stadium 28k.

Possible additions

NDSU 19500
SDSU 17500
NMSU if the SBC tightens its footprint or never offers all sports. thirty thousand.

I will call it the WAFC or WAC FCS
Southern Utah, Idaho ST,Northern Arizona ,Cal- Poly and at least one of the above that is not ready.

A bowl game could be set up in Seattle ,Reno or Vegas vs SBC.
The conference would take awhile to fully catch up but the SBC only had two bowl tie ins last year.The FBS conference would have a pretty good footprint .Cal Davis and Sacramento ST are close .The Montanas ,EWU,Portland ST and Idaho are all close enough for bus trips.
07-23-2014 05:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.