Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

USA Today's flawed conference rankings
Bookmark and Share
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../12613255/

I get the feeling they don't care for App or Georgia Southern.
07-14-2014 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

pjc1979 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
RE: USA Today's flawed conference rankings
Until GaSo and us prove something we won't be respected at all. What's the old cliche' it's not where you start but where you finish. The Sun Belt has the weakest reputation by default currently. At the very least, I doubt we'll lose out to C-USA come season's end. Funny how, outside of the P5, you never see very many articles post-season that rank all the FBS conferences.
07-14-2014 11:40 AM
JbirdGata Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: GA Southern
Yeah... That whole thing seemed to be a bit harsh.
07-14-2014 11:41 AM
Cajuncat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: TXST
Let Paul know how you feel about his rankings

https://twitter.com/intent/user?screen_name=@paulmyerbe[/u]rg
07-14-2014 11:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
(07-14-2014 11:40 AM)pjc1979 Wrote:  Until GaSo and us prove something we won't be respected at all. What's the old cliche' it's not where you start but where you finish. The Sun Belt has the weakest reputation by default currently. At the very least, I doubt we'll lose out to C-USA come season's end. Funny how, outside of the P5, you never see very many articles post-season that rank all the FBS conferences.

The title of that piece was "ranking FBS conferences", not "ranking conference perception among people who follow little G5 or FCS football".

I don't care about the latter, I want to have some informed reading about the former.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 11:50 AM by EigenEagle.)
07-14-2014 11:49 AM
statefanatic Offline
Howl at the Moon

I Root For: stAte
We need App, Georgia Southern, TxSt, and NMSU to play solid football this season. Right now we just have to be better than CUSA.
07-14-2014 11:51 AM
Advertisement

pjc1979 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
To overtake the perception we need the traditional banner teams of the Sun Belt to keep winning a la Troy, A State and Louisiana and about three others to be very solid a la S Alabama. In short we need to continued consistency and a bit more depth.
07-14-2014 11:55 AM
UnitedWeFanTXST Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Texas State
(07-14-2014 11:51 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  We need App, Georgia Southern, TxSt, and NMSU to play solid football this season. Right now we just have to be better than CUSA.

We beat a CUSA team & MWC team last year. We did out part 100% OOC. This year hoping we can do our part again.
07-14-2014 12:00 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
[Image: 700212-topic-ix-6.gif]
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 12:55 PM by Ole Sleepy.)
07-14-2014 12:35 PM
Bobcat2013 Offline
All American

I Root For: Texas State
(07-14-2014 12:00 PM)UnitedWeFanTXST Wrote:  
(07-14-2014 11:51 AM)statefanatic Wrote:  We need App, Georgia Southern, TxSt, and NMSU to play solid football this season. Right now we just have to be better than CUSA.

We beat a CUSA team & MWC team last year. We did out part 100% OOC. This year hoping we can do our part again.

We also beat an independent! Lmao 04-rock
07-14-2014 12:38 PM
Arrowhead Offline
Beltbbs ULM INsider

I Root For: ULM
(07-14-2014 11:55 AM)pjc1979 Wrote:  To overtake the perception we need the traditional banner teams of the Sun Belt to keep winning a la Troy, A State and Louisiana and about three others to be very solid a la S Alabama. In short we need to continued consistency and a bit more depth.

We also need more P5 OOC wins, ala ULM over Arkansas, WF, and Alabama, Troy over Missou, GS over Florida, etc. I'm hopeful ULM can pick up two more this year with wins over WF and Kentucky or at least one of those.
07-14-2014 12:39 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(07-14-2014 11:26 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../12613255/

This POS article has me seeing red! The Sun Belt was not and is not the worst FBS league but articles like this one is where the Wal-Mart fan gets that idea from! 01-lauramac2
07-14-2014 12:42 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

This guy just seems to be writing on past perceptions and the fact that GaSouthern/AppState just moved over from the FCS. Shows what he thinks of the FCS, and doesn't understand about the dominant programs from it and how they stack up against at least the G5.

Fact remains that the perception of the Belt needs some work, but we are on the right track. It'll take more than a year -

Still, a guy making his living on sports writing - ranking these conferences might want to look a little harder. I mean to say that the Sun Belt brings up the rear "again"..... suggest he picked the conference to finish last this time last year. YET - The Belt finished as the highest ranked G5! So - that shows he was wrong and he should know that. He probably doesn't even realize it and seems to be patting himself on the back "again" for ranking the Belt last.
My respect for his rankings = about a ZERO.
07-14-2014 12:42 PM
The4thOption Offline
1st String

(07-14-2014 12:42 PM)Georgia_Power_Company Wrote:  
(07-14-2014 11:26 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nca.../12613255/

This POS article has me seeing red! The Sun Belt was not and is not the worst FBS league but articles like this one is where the Wal-Mart fan gets that idea from! 01-lauramac2

Exactly!
07-14-2014 12:47 PM
sarkelcpa Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS, Ohio St.
The article ticks me off to no end. Zero research went into that article, other than looking at previous FBS records and recruit rankings. Rather than gripe about the article, the only logical thing is for the SunBelt to take it to the field. Crucify as many OOC teams as possible and as bad as possible. Respect is earned, not lobbied.
07-14-2014 12:51 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(07-14-2014 11:41 AM)JbirdGata Wrote:  Yeah... That whole thing seemed to be a bit harsh.

I dont get "again" statement when the Belt has been the best non BCS conference that last two years.

EDIT

On a side note I cant take a guy seriously talking about football with that metro haircut with hipster glasses and some kind of attempt at a look at me I hit puberty attempt of a beard anyway.
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 01:44 PM by JCGSU.)
07-14-2014 01:18 PM
Advertisement

JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(07-14-2014 11:55 AM)pjc1979 Wrote:  To overtake the perception we need the traditional banner teams of the Sun Belt to keep winning a la Troy, A State and Louisiana and about three others to be very solid a la S Alabama. In short we need to continued consistency and a bit more depth.

After two top level G5 years while shedding the teams that made up the majority of the bottom of the Sun Belt the most recent years he as a sports writer should know better. It is not like its that hard to research 10 conferences before writing an article.
07-14-2014 01:22 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

I don't like it, but I don't blame the guy... If you look at the 2014 line-up and play out last years games like the conference re-alignment had already taken place the Sun Belt only won 5/14 match-ups against CUSA.

Winner > Loser

Texas State > Southern Miss
Troy > UAB
North Texas > Idaho
USA > WKU
UTEP > NMSU
WKU > ULM
UL > WKU
Rice > NMSU
Troy > WKU
WKU > Ga State
ODU > Idaho
FAU > NMSU
WKU > TxSt
WKU > stAte

I think we just have to accept the fact that losing WKU and adding NMSU, Idaho, and 2 FCS move-ups isn't going to help the conference until the end of this season AND that's only if NMSU and Idaho improve and GS and App don't flop their first season.

Not to mention its hard to recover from a 2014 FBS line-up (idaho, nmsu, App, GS included) that went a combined 16-16 (.500) against FCS schools a year ago. (6-5 if you exclude GS and App, still not great)
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2014 02:14 PM by TrueBlueAlum.)
07-14-2014 01:54 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(07-14-2014 12:51 PM)sarkelcpa Wrote:  The article ticks me off to no end. Zero research went into that article, other than looking at previous FBS records and recruit rankings. Rather than gripe about the article, the only logical thing is for the SunBelt to take it to the field. Crucify as many OOC teams as possible and as bad as possible. Respect is earned, not lobbied.
Believe I had just read a few days ago that the Sun Belt was 8 wins and one loss against CUSA, MWC, and the MAC last year.
07-14-2014 02:02 PM
stebo Offline
2nd String

I Root For: North Texas
Tulane is now in the AAC, so your results would be a little different post realignment.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-14-2014 02:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.