Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Tribe Quarterback Competition
Bookmark and Share
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
Hey guys, we recently posted an article that consolidated all of the Quarterback Profiles that we wrote earlier in the Summer. We really would like to know who you guys think should start the season under center and why.

You can probably figure out who I want to start from the articles, but we would love to hear some educated/diverse positions from some hardcore Tribe fans! We can, of course, discuss it on this thread as well!

Here's the link in case you want to check it out:
http://wmsportsblog.com/2014/07/14/who-w...ening-day/

Also, has anyone even heard anything about the QB competition yet? I assume, other than the Kevin Rogers quote comparing Mosley to Vick, that they've been pretty tight lipped on this subject matter and are letting it play out into the summer.
07-14-2014 08:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

gotribe89 Offline
Water Engineer

RE: Tribe Quarterback Competition
(07-14-2014 08:55 AM)WMSportsBlog Wrote:  Hey guys, we recently posted an article that consolidated all of the Quarterback Profiles that we wrote earlier in the Summer. We really would like to know who you guys think should start the season under center and why.

You can probably figure out who I want to start from the articles, but we would love to hear some educated/diverse positions from some hardcore Tribe fans! We can, of course, discuss it on this thread as well!

Here's the link in case you want to check it out:
http://wmsportsblog.com/2014/07/14/who-w...ening-day/

Also, has anyone even heard anything about the QB competition yet? I assume, other than the Kevin Rogers quote comparing Mosley to Vick, that they've been pretty tight lipped on this subject matter and are letting it play out into the summer.

I've heard it's Ortiz as of right now.
07-14-2014 11:10 AM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Have to go with a healthy Ortiz, and he seems to be healthy. His knowledge of the offense, experience, and relative success give him the edge. I think Mosley is the #2 with the weapons he possesses. Neither Brumbaugh nor Cluley really have game experience, so knowledge of the offense would have come in practice situations. I think a big consideration for QB has got to be arm strength; the receivers we have can make plays, we just need a QB who has range and doesn't have to throw ducks that our receivers have to jump and compete with the coverage for. If our QB can hit McBride in stride, he can do some damage with YAC. I know Ortiz has pretty good arm strength, but don't know as much about the other three.
07-14-2014 11:13 AM
BigTribe Offline
2nd String

As hktribefan notes, Ortiz , if healthy, is the prime #1 candidate...in just five games the year he played he showed uncommon ability...a strong arm, powerful straight ahead runner, and a
very good intellect on the field. Coaches tell me he has the leadership skills to go with the responsibility. With a host of very good receivers and running back around him he could be a force this fall.

Mosley lacks any game experience and, like Ortiz, didn't take a snap in spring practice due to
an ankle injury, That said, he possesses remarkable natural talent as offer us a dangerous multi-talented quarterback. the strongest since the hay days of the great Dave Corley. Our
offensive coordinator likens his arm to that of Michael Vick, strong praise from a coach who hasa long career with great qbs.

If Ortiz still can't throw well (in which case they'll move him to H-back) Mosley will have to acquire experience and leadership skills on the fly.

There are no other quarterbacks on the roster that approach the skills of these two fellows.
07-14-2014 12:22 PM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: W&M
The QB Profiles on the W&M Sports Blog have been well done and informative. But it is difficult to take a Poll about which QB may, or will, start the season because of all the injury "unknowns".

If all of the QBs were equally healthy, the starter would have to be Ortiz.
07-15-2014 02:06 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(07-15-2014 02:06 PM)62Indian Wrote:  The QB Profiles on the W&M Sports Blog have been well done and informative. But it is difficult to take a Poll about which QB may, or will, start the season because of all the injury "unknowns".

We seem to have more senior starters this year, and the QB position has been in flux for most of those guys careers. It would be great if this year the offense could break out and cause some damage. Rogers has a year under his belt, hopefully this will translate to more output.

Tough schedule this year. At least UD, VU and UR are at home.

All anxious for news in the coming week on the QB situation.
07-19-2014 06:48 AM
Advertisement

TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(07-19-2014 06:48 AM)TribeNomad Wrote:  
(07-15-2014 02:06 PM)62Indian Wrote:  The QB Profiles on the W&M Sports Blog have been well done and informative. But it is difficult to take a Poll about which QB may, or will, start the season because of all the injury "unknowns".

We seem to have more senior starters this year, and the QB position has been in flux for most of those guys careers. It would be great if this year the offense could break out and cause some damage. Rogers has a year under his belt, hopefully this will translate to more output.

Tough schedule this year. At least UD, VU and UR are at home.

All anxious for news in the coming week on the QB situation.

edit....."weeks"
07-19-2014 07:08 AM
WMSportsBlog Offline
Special Teams

Everything seems to point to the experience of Ortiz vs. the potential of Mosley. Will be fun to watch either of them line up under center this season.
07-20-2014 11:59 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

Can anyone state for a fact that Ortiz is now "healthy" enough to be the starter???
07-20-2014 01:02 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(07-20-2014 01:02 PM)62Indian Wrote:  Can anyone state for a fact that Ortiz is now "healthy" enough to be the starter???

Bear in mind that I do not have any inside information to share even if I wanted to, but I feel very comfortable saying, "Nope".

That is, nobody can state that for a fact.
(This post was last modified: 07-20-2014 01:40 PM by WMInTheBurg.)
07-20-2014 01:40 PM
Tribal Offline

I'm more concerned about the #2 and #3 slots given the past four seasons.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
07-20-2014 03:37 PM
Advertisement

wanm65 Online
Special Teams

Not even Ortiz :>)
07-20-2014 04:29 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

Finally got around to watching the videos from CAA media day, and Tre was asked how he is able to produce despite the inconsistency at QB. In his answer he said he has to do his best preparing, and getting reps with both guys in practice. Practice hasn't started yet, but from the way he said it, it sounds like there are two that are in contention. A healthy Ortiz is likely one, but beyond that it's speculation. Okay, this may not be ground breaking news. It's August 1st and I really wish it were August 30th so I'm grasping at whatever I can to get my sports fix.
08-01-2014 10:43 AM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

HarveySports757 ‏@HarveySports757 1h
William and Mary announced that Raphael Ortiz will not be available this season after being declared medically disqualified by medical staff

UGH.....next up
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 09:38 AM by Tribeheart.)
08-04-2014 09:35 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
So Mosley almost certainly?
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2014 09:58 AM by HyperDuke.)
08-04-2014 09:57 AM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
(08-04-2014 09:57 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  So Mosley almost certainly?

@HarveySports757 · 1h

Christian Brumbaugh and Steve Cluley headline the race for the starting Qb job for W&M heading into fall camp #caa #tribe
08-04-2014 10:04 AM
Advertisement

WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(08-04-2014 09:57 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  So Mosley almost certainly?

Certainly in the mix, but far from certain I'd say.

The loss of Ortiz is disheartening, even though his return was always in serious doubt. At least its a definitive ruling and any reps he may have taken up can go to another prospective starter. Feel for Ortiz...
08-04-2014 10:07 AM
wml33t Online
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
Normally I'd say it's the typical "experience" issue keeping Mosley out, but none of these guys have game experience. That being said they are "older" and have more practice experience.

I'd certainly love to see Mosley get reps from what we've heard about him, but you have to hope that the coaches see something in the other two preventing it.
08-04-2014 10:07 AM
WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
(08-04-2014 10:07 AM)wml33t Wrote:  Normally I'd say it's the typical "experience" issue keeping Mosley out, but none of these guys have game experience. That being said they are "older" and have more practice experience.

I'd certainly love to see Mosley get reps from what we've heard about him, but you have to hope that the coaches see something in the other two preventing it.

Agreed, for JL to start a rFr QB who was injured most of his first year on campus, he would really have to set himself apart. JL generally values experience (game or years in the system) over raw talent. The last rFr to start for the Tribe was Corley. And, it wasn't until the 4th game of the season that Corley started.

Frank Brown is intriguing to me. He looked the best of the QBs that did participate in the spring game (though going against the #2 defense). However, he moves well and showed decent arm strength and decision making. Could be a dark horse candidate.
08-04-2014 10:15 AM
62Indian Offline
Special Teams

BUMMER!!!!
08-04-2014 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.