Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Are children of same-sex parents healthier?
Love and Honor Offline
Skipper

I Root For: Miami, MACtion
Are children of same-sex parents healthier?
Quote:"We know that same-sex attracted parents are more likely to share child care and work responsibilities more equitably than heterosexual parent families, based more on skills rather than gender roles. This appears to be contributing to a more harmonious household and having a positive impact on child health," he said.

Children in same-sex parent families scored roughly six percent higher than the general population on measures of general health and family cohesion, according to the research. But within the categories of temperament and mood, behavior, mental health, emotional role and self-esteem, these children scored the same as children from the general population.

However, the study flagged the issue of these children experiencing some form of stigma due to their parents' sexual orientation, impacting their mental and emotional well-being in the future.

I'll say what I was thinking during the gay-gene debate thread we had a week or so ago: the jury is still out. This one study doesn't end the discussion on the physical/mental health effects of gay marriage on children, though if it ends up being true it just helps reaffirm my position on the issue (that government should get out of marriage entirely and gay marriage should be permitted). And yes, I'm aware the study was done by Australian researchers, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-healt...dy-n149901
07-07-2014 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Are children of same-sex parents healthier?
(07-07-2014 05:33 PM)Love and Honor Wrote:  
Quote:"We know that same-sex attracted parents are more likely to share child care and work responsibilities more equitably than heterosexual parent families, based more on skills rather than gender roles. This appears to be contributing to a more harmonious household and having a positive impact on child health," he said.

Children in same-sex parent families scored roughly six percent higher than the general population on measures of general health and family cohesion, according to the research. But within the categories of temperament and mood, behavior, mental health, emotional role and self-esteem, these children scored the same as children from the general population.

However, the study flagged the issue of these children experiencing some form of stigma due to their parents' sexual orientation, impacting their mental and emotional well-being in the future.

I'll say what I was thinking during the gay-gene debate thread we had a week or so ago: the jury is still out. This one study doesn't end the discussion on the physical/mental health effects of gay marriage on children, though if it ends up being true it just helps reaffirm my position on the issue (that government should get out of marriage entirely and gay marriage should be permitted). And yes, I'm aware the study was done by Australian researchers, so it has to be taken with a grain of salt.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/kids-healt...dy-n149901

It really is not a study, more like a questionairre.
which involved input from 315 same-sex parents and a total of 500 children

It is also did this, Of these participating families, 80 percent had female parents while 18 percent had male partners.
How old are the children? Are they teenagers? Relative to how happy kids are wtf
does household sharing duties have anything to do with anything. You can make your kids do household chores, give them a mandatory study table every night, and it pisses them off. So what they aint happy but it is good for them in the long run.
07-07-2014 05:48 PM
ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

I Root For: ECU
waaaaaaaaay too many variables to do something like this right now. Wait 25 years and ask all of the people who are young adults how happy they were with their upbringing.
07-07-2014 05:56 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
The author of the so called study.............
Dr Simon Crouch is a gay dad with twins. No conflict of interest of course.
http://gaydadsaustralia.blogspot.com/201...ummys.html

[Image: crouch.png]
07-07-2014 05:56 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
No. Children of educated parents are the most healthy. Everywhere.
07-07-2014 07:54 PM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(07-07-2014 07:54 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  No. Children of educated parents are the most healthy. Everywhere.

Does that apply to gay couple or straight only???
07-07-2014 07:57 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
Once we have dirt poor gay couples raising their kids in poverty to counteract the same type hetero housholds included in the general population, then you can make a fair comparison.
07-07-2014 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(07-07-2014 07:57 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 07:54 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  No. Children of educated parents are the most healthy. Everywhere.

I can't see how it makes a difference in regard to physical heath. In regard to mental health? Hard to say. There is though no shortage of fcked up kids that have hetro parents.
07-07-2014 08:01 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(07-07-2014 07:59 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  Once we have dirt poor gay couples raising their kids in poverty to counteract the same type hetero housholds included in the general population, then you can make a fair comparison.

Interesting thought. Something tells me that ain't going to happen soon. I have to give the twinks cred. The usually have their schit together in regard to education and work ethic. They damn sure keep their yards neat!!03-lmfao
07-07-2014 08:03 PM
SumOfAllFears Offline
Grim Reaper of Misguided Liberal Souls

I Root For: America
Depends on your definition of "healthier"?
07-07-2014 08:05 PM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(07-07-2014 08:01 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 07:57 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  

I can't see how it makes a difference in regard to physical heath. In regard to mental health? Hard to say. There is though no shortage of fcked up kids that have hetro parents.

That is true, some of the worst I know are children of preachers oddly enough. I see it as if the kid loved, cared for, and not to hate, be themselves what the difference?
07-07-2014 08:06 PM
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
Re: RE: Are children of same-sex parents healthier?
(07-07-2014 08:03 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  
(07-07-2014 07:59 PM)BatonRougeEscapee Wrote:  Once we have dirt poor gay couples raising their kids in poverty to counteract the same type hetero housholds included in the general population, then you can make a fair comparison.

Interesting thought. Something tells me that ain't going to happen soon. I have to give the twinks cred. The usually have their schit together in regard to education and work ethic. They damn sure keep their yards neat!!03-lmfao

???

Maybe the Hollywood version???

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
07-07-2014 08:08 PM
smn1256 Offline
I miss Tripster

I Root For: Lower taxes
Our 3 cats once took a liking to our baby pet hamster even to the point of licking it clean. After a while that hamster seemed healthier than other hamsters.
07-07-2014 08:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.