Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAU Metrics of AAC Universities
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
(This post was last modified: 06-21-2014 08:31 PM by HoustonRocks.)
06-21-2014 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

apex_pirate Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina
RE: AAU Metrics of AAC Universities
Way to go UC...but still, no one in the AAC is even close to the last two schools admitted.
06-21-2014 10:06 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
Temple has never been a particularly strong research school, but SERC will change that significantly. http://www.temple.edu/2020/projects/science-technology/
06-21-2014 11:03 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Why the 2010 numbers? A lot has changed since then.
06-21-2014 11:23 PM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
I think use of the 4 year graduation rate is interesting. UC is the founding school of cooperative education, and has one of the biggest co-op programs in the country. It is a selling point for the school as graduates can leave with professional experience already under their belt.

One cannot get a degree in engineering or DAAP without co-oping. I believe pharmacy is one of those programs as well. Co-op is also used by students in other programs, especially the business school.

Point is, it's impossible to get certain degrees in 4 years if you're working one semester then going to school another semester after your sophomore year.
06-22-2014 12:46 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(06-22-2014 12:46 AM)BearcatsUC Wrote:  I think use of the 4 year graduation rate is interesting. UC is the founding school of cooperative education, and has one of the biggest co-op programs in the country. It is a selling point for the school as graduates can leave with professional experience already under their belt.

One cannot get a degree in engineering or DAAP without co-oping. I believe pharmacy is one of those programs as well. Co-op is also used by students in other programs, especially the business school.

Point is, it's impossible to get certain degrees in 4 years if you're working one semester then going to school another semester after your sophomore year.

Business is moving to the internship/co-op model as well and Education and Nursing also cannot graduate in 4 years with their practical education experiences. For those counting at home, those three schools along with DAAP and Engineering house roughly 70% of all undergraduates at UC. The 4-year grad rate metric, which determines next to nothing, has been the one that's kept us lower in the rankings than we should be.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 01:24 AM by BearcatMan.)
06-22-2014 01:23 AM
Advertisement

ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

Well, ECU is getting screwed by our own state, our Med School is now at risk. The Chancellor took the extra ordinary step of writing an OP Ed piece in the Raleigh news paper calling out the our law makers.

http://blog.ecu.edu/sites/dailyclips/blo...-observer/

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/06/18/3...icies.html
06-22-2014 05:01 AM
Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(06-21-2014 08:29 PM)HoustonRocks Wrote:  Some may find this interesting:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=451&f=236..._158359877

Those metrics changed dramatically for us since 2010. Although not yet where it needs to be. Research dollars are over 130m last year. Hitt is requiring all professors to bring a certain a out of grant and research money now. We are really focusing on increasing our aau metrics to match our academics

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-22-2014 07:59 AM
LostInSpace Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(06-21-2014 11:03 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Temple has never been a particularly strong research school, but SERC will change that significantly. http://www.temple.edu/2020/projects/science-technology/

SERC will help, but the acquisition of Fox Chase Cancer Center arguably has a greater positive effect on Temple as a research organization. The acquisition added to Temple's faculty a group of skilled researchers who have a record of securing competitively awarded federal funds. At a minimum it moves Temple up the league tables of research $$$, but FCCC's faculty also strengthen Temple's reputation in other areas that AAU and Carnegie measure.
06-22-2014 10:32 AM
Gray Avenger Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: MEMPHIS
Students at urban universities, who aren't usually attending school on "Daddy's" money, more often than not, are working their way thru school, either on co-op programs or with part-time jobs. I don't see how an education earned over 5 or 6 years is any less valuable than one earned in 4.
06-22-2014 10:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

(06-22-2014 10:58 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Students at urban universities, who aren't usually attending school on "Daddy's" money, more often than not, are working their way thru school, either on co-op programs or with part-time jobs. I don't see how an education earned over 5 or 6 years is any less valuable than one earned in 4.

It's not. But, it is not just urban universities, it is at most every university today, save some flagship U's and Ivy League schools.
06-22-2014 12:08 PM
Advertisement

Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
USF announced over 413 million in research money for the 2012-13 year so we are probably around 450 million or more now

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?z=38&a=5690
06-22-2014 12:12 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
The idea that appears to be in the link, that one can gain AAU to accelerate P5 attractiveness, is backwards. It's 10 times easier to make P5 without AAU than to make AAU.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 12:20 PM by DrBox.)
06-22-2014 12:14 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-22-2014 12:14 PM)DrBox Wrote:  The idea that appears to be in the link, that one can gain AAU to accelerate P5 attractiveness, is backwards. It's 10 times easier to make P5 without AAU than to make AAU.

Agree with you there. In USFs case I can tell you that the goal for AAU membership is not to be part of P5. It's a goal that our president has set to improve academics across the board at the university and is well supported by the community and alumni
06-22-2014 12:21 PM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(06-22-2014 12:21 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  
(06-22-2014 12:14 PM)DrBox Wrote:  The idea that appears to be in the link, that one can gain AAU to accelerate P5 attractiveness, is backwards. It's 10 times easier to make P5 without AAU than to make AAU.

Agree with you there. In USFs case I can tell you that the goal for AAU membership is not to be part of P5. It's a goal that our president has set to improve academics across the board at the university and is well supported by the community and alumni
I think a school like USF ought to have that as a goal and should work toward it.
But, it takes an enormous amount of resources, including private resources.
USF has advantages over the many southern flagships that aren't in AAU and likely never will be. You don't have a 100 year long ethic and culture of defining yourself by your football team and you're in a state that at least appears to appreciate, respect and fund its universities.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2014 12:56 PM by DrBox.)
06-22-2014 12:53 PM
Cubanbull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(06-22-2014 12:53 PM)DrBox Wrote:  
(06-22-2014 12:21 PM)Cubanbull Wrote:  

I think a school like USF ought to have that as a goal and should work toward it.
But, it takes an enormous amount of resources, including private resources.
USF has advantages over the many southern flagships that aren't in AAU and likely never will be. You don't have a 100 year long ethic and culture of defining yourself by your football team and you're in a state that at least appears to appreciate, respect and fund its universities.

USF already houses a technology research park. The on campus stadium will eventually happen but the rush to build is not there due to where we play. There is no doubt that if USF wasn't playing at RJS we wouldn't have FSU coming to Tampa.

I think the AAU goal is an excellent one for USF to continue to improve in all its academic measures
06-22-2014 01:00 PM
Advertisement

Knightbengal Offline
All American

I Root For: UCF
(06-22-2014 10:58 AM)Gray Avenger Wrote:  Students at urban universities, who aren't usually attending school on "Daddy's" money, more often than not, are working their way thru school, either on co-op programs or with part-time jobs. I don't see how an education earned over 5 or 6 years is any less valuable than one earned in 4.

I agree with that. I worked full time through both my graduate and undergraduate degrees

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-22-2014 02:10 PM
JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
(06-22-2014 12:08 PM)ecumbh1999 Wrote:  

It's not. But, it is not just urban universities, it is at most every university today, save some flagship U's and Ivy League schools.

There are plenty of wealthy people at urban universities and plenty of middle to lower middle class people at top universities. Almost all of my friends at BU were poor and on scholarships. My brother's good friend at Penn was the son of two teachers. Conversely, one of my good friends at Temple lives in a $1.4M house in Northern Virginia. Temple gets a lot of students from Long Island, CT, suburban DC, suburban NJ, suburban Philly, etc.
06-22-2014 02:23 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
UC has a lot going for it and i am hopeful for an AAU membership sooner or later....we have as good a shot as anybody right now really.
06-22-2014 02:36 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(06-21-2014 10:06 PM)apex_pirate Wrote:  Way to go UC...but still, no one in the AAC is even close to the last two schools admitted.

Looks like most of us should be frontrunners for the SEC 03-wink
06-22-2014 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.