4 Troy
5 Louisiana-Monroe
6 Texas State
7 Georgia Southern
8 Appalachian State
9 Idaho
10t Georgia State
10t New Mexico State

Nothing too surprising so far, though USA gets some cred, and Monroe feeling dissed?
I guess I can't argue any better for NMSU, being totally green on defense.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 04:26 PM by DoubleAggie.)
06-18-2014 04:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
RE: SunBelt FB - Consensus Picks
TF05's Thoughts:

The bottom three may surprise some people. Georgia State is an improving program that played a lot of good sunbelt teams close last season. Idaho and NMSU played a tougher schedule last season and may benefit from playing some up and comers. They played the conference champions Louisiana fairly well if I recall.

App and GS are wildcards. I don't think anyone's really sure what they're capable of. App's redshirts and the program's winning tradition could be the difference. Monroe without Browning looks right. I'm not sold on Pete Thomas being the heir apparent to KB. He's not played well at his last two stops and this is stop number three for Thomas. ULM has a good enough defense to justify a number five ranking.

Anyone in the top four could win the title, in my opinion. Louisiana has shown they are not invincible, Arkansas State wasn't as good as they were in the previous two title runs and adds a newbie coach into the mix. The Malzhan/Freeze effect may be wearing off, but that's not certain by any means. South Alabama has the offensive talent, but it's yet to be seen if South's OC is a Malzhan, Edenfield type or a fringe OC, almost top notch, but not quite. They are breaking in a new QB and QB's coach, as well as losing some top defensive talent while breaking in a new defensive coordinator. They are certainly a contender, though. Troy has the best OC and offensive talent in the SBC, but one of the worst, if not the worst defense in the SBC, to include sketchy special teams play. Troy has to shore up both to have a shot at the title.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2014 04:41 PM by TroyFootball05.)
06-18-2014 04:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
These rankings are very predictable at this point. 1-6 are fully transitioned D1 teams, 7-8 are Ga. Southern and App. St. who are in transition and no one knows what to expect. 9-11 are generally agreed to be bottom of the Sun Belt.

I would expect when all is said and done there will be some surprises.
06-18-2014 08:18 PM
AtlantaJag Offline
Beltbbs USA INsider

I Root For: USA Jaguars
(06-18-2014 04:40 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  TF05's Thoughts:

The bottom three may surprise some people. Georgia State is an improving program that played a lot of good sunbelt teams close last season. Idaho and NMSU played a tougher schedule last season and may benefit from playing some up and comers. They played the conference champions Louisiana fairly well if I recall.

App and GS are wildcards. I don't think anyone's really sure what they're capable of. App's redshirts and the program's winning tradition could be the difference. Monroe without Browning looks right. I'm not sold on Pete Thomas being the heir apparent to KB. He's not played well at his last two stops and this is stop number three for Thomas. ULM has a good enough defense to justify a number five ranking.

Anyone in the top four could win the title, in my opinion. Louisiana has shown they are not invincible, Arkansas State wasn't as good as they were in the previous two title runs and adds a newbie coach into the mix. The Malzhan/Freeze effect may be wearing off, but that's not certain by any means. South Alabama has the offensive talent, but it's yet to be seen if South's OC is a Malzhan, Edenfield type or a fringe OC, almost top notch, but not quite. They are breaking in a new QB and QB's coach, as well as losing some top defensive talent while breaking in a new defensive coordinator. They are certainly a contender, though. Troy has the best OC and offensive talent in the SBC, but one of the worst, if not the worst defense in the SBC, to include sketchy special teams play. Troy has to shore up both to have a shot at the title.

USA isn't truly breaking in a new QB coach as Robert Matthews, the OC, is taking over that job. The defense is shaping up very nicely as well.
06-18-2014 09:40 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
I wouldn't overlook Texas State with John Thompson coaching their D.
06-18-2014 10:24 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
(06-18-2014 04:23 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  From the Stassen survey of mags

1 Louisiana-Lafay.
2 Arkansas State
3 South Alabama
4 Troy
5 Louisiana-Monroe
6 Texas State
7 Georgia Southern
8 Appalachian State
9 Idaho
10t Georgia State
10t New Mexico State

Nothing too surprising so far, though USA gets some cred, and Monroe feeling dissed?

This is just guess work right now. Makes it even harder with 4 new SBC members to figure in. Whatever happens, wherever teams wind up it's going to be one of the most interesting football seasons ever just to see how things go. Soon we will see who the best football coaches are and how their "fantastic recruiting classes" they always brag about really turn out.
06-19-2014 02:30 AM
Advertisement

CAJUNCOUNTRY Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Louisiana
I feel USA is getting better and won't surprise anyone this year definitely will be bowl eligible this year but my sleeper team is TxSt. They will surprise some folk and go bowling this year. The bottom two teams will not finish at the bottom. GaSt will be the USA of last year and will be competitive. Never go to sleep on Troy they are never out of a game. My four bowling team are Louisiana, A-State, USA and TxSt if we get a 5th team it will be Troy. The only problem I have with my prediction is that there are two bowl games in Alabama makes it easy to leave out TxSt.
06-19-2014 06:22 AM
SOT1977 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ULM
Pete Thomas will have better receivers and O-line at ULM than he had at Colorado State and North Carolina State....yes, our OL is actually better than what those two schools had and our receivers are definitely better. Thomas is more pro-style than Browning so that should be interesting to see. I fully expect to see Thomas as the starter this season. He has about 6,000 career yards so he knows how to throw the ball, just gotta improve the TD-interception ratio.

I view the Warhawks in the 4th-5th place slot in the conference at this point.
06-19-2014 07:26 AM
garmen Offline
2nd String

1 Louisiana - Should be no contest, Cajuns to loose
2at Arkansas State - Proven they can win but not near as high on new coach. Could be 8 wins, could be 6 wins.
2bt South Alabama - Could easily go 5-2 before November. Then the meat of the schedule hits. Could go 0-5 then on or get two more wins and make Magnolia Bowl. (BEAT NAVY)
4 Texas State - My sleeper team 1. Could be 5-0 coming into Cajun country. This team could as easily be 2c in the standings. Stumble in early part of season against Ill and Tulsa and 6 wins again. (BEAT NAVY)
5 Georgia Southern - My sleeper team 2. WILL win 6 games this year. No Louisiana, no Ark State. (BEAT NAVY). Yes there is a Navy theme here. SBC goes 3-0 vs. Navy and good results for season. Go 0-3 against Navy and oh well, another 6-6 season for 3 teams.
6 Troy - Until they stop someone on Defense, can't go any higher. However, I could also see 8 wins and number 2 finish.
7 ULM - Never under estimate the power of the force (aka: Kolton Browing). He's gone. NOT the same team.
8 Appalachian State - Small team, bigger schedule than GA. South. We will know on September 20 if they can do it, cause 5 days later they play again. NOT good for player health.
9a New Mexico State - Will win at least 3. That's improvement
9b Georgia State - Close only counts in Horse shoes, hand granades and bombs. Not this year, not yet. After week 2 its all over. See you in 2015
10t Idaho - Better beat W. Michigan or you are the 0-12 bottom 10 poster child for the year.
06-19-2014 07:46 AM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
I really could see us anywhere from number 3 (I don't think we're at the point we will overcome the Cajuns or stAte), all the way down to like 7-8.
06-19-2014 08:25 AM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
If Louisiana could get past Ole Miss they could wind up in the Access Bowl
this year.
06-19-2014 08:29 AM
Advertisement

Crump1 Offline
All American

I Root For: stAte
(06-19-2014 07:46 AM)garmen Wrote:  1 Louisiana - Should be no contest, Cajuns to loose
2at Arkansas State - Proven they can win but not near as high on new coach. Could be 8 wins, could be 6 wins.
2bt South Alabama - Could easily go 5-2 before November. Then the meat of the schedule hits. Could go 0-5 then on or get two more wins and make Magnolia Bowl. (BEAT NAVY)
4 Texas State - My sleeper team 1. Could be 5-0 coming into Cajun country. This team could as easily be 2c in the standings. Stumble in early part of season against Ill and Tulsa and 6 wins again. (BEAT NAVY)
5 Georgia Southern - My sleeper team 2. WILL win 6 games this year. No Louisiana, no Ark State. (BEAT NAVY). Yes there is a Navy theme here. SBC goes 3-0 vs. Navy and good results for season. Go 0-3 against Navy and oh well, another 6-6 season for 3 teams.
6 Troy - Until they stop someone on Defense, can't go any higher. However, I could also see 8 wins and number 2 finish.
7 ULM - Never under estimate the power of the force (aka: Kolton Browing). He's gone. NOT the same team.
8 Appalachian State - Small team, bigger schedule than GA. South. We will know on September 20 if they can do it, cause 5 days later they play again. NOT good for player health.
9b Georgia State - Close only counts in Horse shoes, hand granades and bombs. Not this year, not yet. After week 2 its all over. See you in 2015
10t Idaho - Better beat W. Michigan or you are the 0-12 bottom 10 poster child for the year.
We are a lot higher on our coach at stAte than we were the last one.
06-19-2014 08:59 AM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns

1 Louisiana-Lafay.
2 Arkansas State
3 South Alabama
4 Troy
5 Louisiana-Monroe
6 Texas State
7 Georgia Southern
8 Appalachian State
9 Idaho
10t Georgia State
10t New Mexico State

Judging from last season, this looks about right. In the end Troy may flip past South.
06-19-2014 09:08 AM
garmen Offline
2nd String

(06-19-2014 08:59 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 07:46 AM)garmen Wrote:  1 Louisiana - Should be no contest, Cajuns to loose
9b Georgia State - Close only counts in Horse shoes, hand gernades and bombs. Not this year, not yet. After week 2 its all over. See you in 2015

I believe that is called "emotion of the moment". I see him maybe on par with Harsin but will see what Harsin does at Boise St. If it is average, then you may be right. Anything less than 4-2 coming into Cajun country will not be a good sign. See you in the REAL Swamp on October 21...03-woohoo
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 10:38 AM by garmen.)
06-19-2014 10:35 AM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(06-19-2014 10:35 AM)garmen Wrote:  

I believe that is called "emotion of the moment". I see him maybe on par with Harsin but will see what Harsin does at Boise St. If it is average, then you may be right. Anything less than 4-2 coming into Cajun country will not be a good sign. See you in the REAL Swamp on October 21...03-woohoo

Well yes, but we had the same questions about Freeze and Malzahn.

Harsin did not win a ton of fans pre season last year. He had a sparking reputation, but really never seemed to fit in here. Anderson is more like Freeze, not a major reputation, but great with fans.

As always, we'll see what he can really do with the team come this fall. We return a ton of talent though, which will certainly help.
06-19-2014 10:41 AM
garmen Offline
2nd String

(06-19-2014 10:41 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Harsin did not win a ton of fans pre season last year. He had a sparking reputation, but really never seemed to fit in here. Anderson is more like Freeze, not a major reputation, but great with fans.

As always, we'll see what he can really do with the team come this fall. We return a ton of talent though, which will certainly help.

Anderson is definitely a proven offensive guru but I don't recall seeing him real active socially in Lafayette. We are kind of spoiled on Hud now cause he is a freak of nature as a combined coach and team publicist. How's Blake handling the public scene in Jonesboro? Also, hope you got a really good DC to fill the gap or it could be lots of offense only to be overcome by lots of time on the field by the defense. He gotta coach the whole team now, not just offense.. Good luck except in Lafayette. Look forward to the game..
06-19-2014 10:52 AM
Advertisement

WinstonTheWolf Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Arkansas State
(06-19-2014 10:52 AM)garmen Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 10:41 AM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Anderson is definitely a proven offensive guru but I don't recall seeing him real active socially in Lafayette. We are kind of spoiled on Hud now cause he is a freak of nature as a combined coach and team publicist. How's Blake handling the public scene in Jonesboro? Also, hope you got a really good DC to fill the gap or it could be lots of offense only to be overcome by lots of time on the field by the defense. He gotta coach the whole team now, not just offense.. Good luck except in Lafayette. Look forward to the game..

At least through social media, Blake and the coaches are very open, active, and energetic. I think we had open practices for the first time in a while. More likable coach than we've had, from what I can tell.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 11:55 AM by WinstonTheWolf.)
06-19-2014 11:54 AM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
(06-19-2014 09:08 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  

1 Louisiana-Lafay.
2 Arkansas State
3 South Alabama
4 Troy
5 Louisiana-Monroe
6 Texas State
7 Georgia Southern
8 Appalachian State
9 Idaho
10t Georgia State
10t New Mexico State

Judging from last season, this looks about right. In the end Troy may flip past South.

Not this year, AC. Not this year. The Jags won't lose over 2 SBC game and Troy won't be one of those losses. One will be an upset and one by either Ark. St. or UL.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 12:00 PM by JoeJag.)
06-19-2014 11:59 AM
garmen Offline
2nd String

(06-19-2014 11:59 AM)JoeJag Wrote:  
(06-19-2014 09:08 AM)AstroCajun Wrote:  

1 Louisiana-Lafay.
2 Arkansas State
3 South Alabama
4 Troy
5 Louisiana-Monroe
6 Texas State
7 Georgia Southern
8 Appalachian State
9 Idaho
10t Georgia State
10t New Mexico State

Not this year, AC. Not this year. The Jags won't lose over 2 SBC game and Troy won't be one of those losses. One will be an upset and one by either Ark. St. or UL.

You will know after the Georgia Southern game. Loose that one and you will loose more than 2 league games. Win it and you may be correct..
06-19-2014 12:16 PM
HeartOfDixie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Alabama
(06-19-2014 08:29 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  If Louisiana could get past Ole Miss they could wind up in the Access Bowl
this year.

There is a lot of hope in that. If UL does that it will almost certainly be the biggest season in the program's history, a first ever win over an SEC opponent and a shot at the first ever 10 win season.

Plus, perhaps a #24 or #25 ranking.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2014 12:21 PM by HeartOfDixie.)
06-19-2014 12:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.