Arkansas State signs 1 for 1 with Big XII team
06-02-2014 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

trueeagle98 Offline
1st String

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Arkansas State signs 1 for 1 with Big XII team
Nice. Now those are the games I want GS to eventually get. Home and Home's with P5 (even bottom p5's) are what we all strive for. Wouldn't doubt stAte or UL getting an even bigger school in the near future to do a home and home with them. Just keep winning a growing and good things will happen. Congrats.
06-02-2014 02:01 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Fantastic news. We've come a long way as a league. Those type games were few and far between five years ago. Now its pretty normal between Troy, Louisiana, and Arkansas State at least. Any other SBC programs have some big names doing 1 for 1s?
06-02-2014 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(06-02-2014 02:31 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Fantastic news. We've come a long way as a league. Those type games were few and far between five years ago. Now its pretty normal between Troy, Louisiana, and Arkansas State at least. Any other SBC programs have some big names doing 1 for 1s?

USA has had trouble getting those. We had a 2 for 1 (with 1 as a FCS) with both Mississippi State and NC State. We have a 2 for 1 with Oklahoma State. But we will get the Cowboys in Mobile once.

I'd still like to see some USA 1 for 1's with P5 teams.
06-02-2014 02:57 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Good deal for Ark. St. We are hoping for some of that type of scheduling here at Ga. Southern as we go forward. Right now the only home/away deals that I know we have are Western Michigan and Kent St., both from the MAC. I would like some CUSA home/away deals and of course any P5 team we can get to come to Ga. Southern would be great.
06-02-2014 02:57 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2014 02:57 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Good deal for Ark. St. We are hoping for some of that type of scheduling here at Ga. Southern as we go forward. Right now the only home/away deals that I know we have are Western Michigan and Kent St., both from the MAC. I would like some CUSA home/away deals and of course any P5 team we can get to come to Ga. Southern would be great.

Here are the P5 teams that do go to G5 schools.

1) ACC - regularly - Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State. Occasionally, you see Ga Tech doing it

2) SEC - Mississippi State regularly. Vanderbilt occasionally. Mizzou did go to Troy once, but that was prior to their move to the SEC. Kentucky has played neutral site games versus Sun Belt teams.

3) B1G - Minnesota, Indiana. Purdue is an 'occasional' road team. Rutgers has a series scheduled with Temple.

4) Pac 12 - Many of them will play regional games at MWC teams. Unless we're talking about Idaho, I doubt any Pac 12 teams is going to jet out to Sun Belt country for a road game, especially for a 1 and 1.

5) Big XII - Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, Kansas.

But the universe of available teams is actually smaller than that. Because a lot of these teams only play G5 teams that are close to them

So its hard to get those games. Its even harder to get them if you aren't close to them. Georgia Southern really gets hurt by their geography.
06-02-2014 03:11 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
We may be finalizing one with BYU later this year. They are not officially P5, but they are the closest you can get to one.
06-02-2014 03:12 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-02-2014 03:11 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 02:57 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Good deal for Ark. St. We are hoping for some of that type of scheduling here at Ga. Southern as we go forward. Right now the only home/away deals that I know we have are Western Michigan and Kent St., both from the MAC. I would like some CUSA home/away deals and of course any P5 team we can get to come to Ga. Southern would be great.

1) ACC - regularly - Duke, Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State. Occasionally, you see Ga Tech doing it

2) SEC - Mississippi State regularly. Vanderbilt occasionally. Mizzou did go to Troy once, but that was prior to their move to the SEC. Kentucky has played neutral site games versus Sun Belt teams.

3) B1G - Minnesota, Indiana. Purdue is an 'occasional' road team. Rutgers has a series scheduled with Temple.

4) Pac 12 - Many of them will play regional games at MWC teams. Unless we're talking about Idaho, I doubt any Pac 12 teams is going to jet out to Sun Belt country for a road game, especially for a 1 and 1.

But the universe of available teams is actually smaller than that. Because a lot of these teams only play G5 teams that are close to them

So its hard to get those games. Its even harder to get them if you aren't close to them. Georgia Southern really gets hurt by their geography.

Mizzou and Miami both have scheduled trips to Jonesboro in 2015 and 2017 respectively.
06-02-2014 03:16 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
I hope we do one soon. Tech was nice but it was more of a 2 for 1. I just don't see us getting them very often which is a shame. I do like our games against Navy, UTSA, and Houston though. Now we need a P5 team.
06-02-2014 03:20 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

(06-02-2014 03:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

Mizzou and Miami both have scheduled trips to Jonesboro in 2015 and 2017 respectively.

I forgot about those.. Officially jealous.
06-02-2014 03:54 PM
AstroCajun Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: UL Ragin Cajuns
Nice pick up!
06-02-2014 04:03 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline

(06-02-2014 03:54 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 03:16 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

I forgot about those.. Officially jealous.

We have the ability to be able to say "home and home or nothing" and be able to get the team to relent.

Key is to find someone who either desperately needs a game, or someone who needs help with SOS that many G5 programs cant offer.
06-02-2014 04:24 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
(06-02-2014 03:20 PM)slycat Wrote:  I hope we do one soon. Tech was nice but it was more of a 2 for 1. I just don't see us getting them very often which is a shame. I do like our games against Navy, UTSA, and Houston though. Now we need a P5 team.

We need to expand the stadium further to get P5's on 1-1's. The stadium is nice, and a good size, but we need to be in the 40k range at least for P5's to be ok with coming here.
06-02-2014 04:35 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-02-2014 04:35 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 03:20 PM)slycat Wrote:  I hope we do one soon. Tech was nice but it was more of a 2 for 1. I just don't see us getting them very often which is a shame. I do like our games against Navy, UTSA, and Houston though. Now we need a P5 team.

We need to expand the stadium further to get P5's on 1-1's. The stadium is nice, and a good size, but we need to be in the 40k range at least for P5's to be ok with coming here.

AState doesn't have 40k nor the proximity to as many recruits as Texas State.
06-02-2014 04:42 PM
slycat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Texas State
(06-02-2014 04:42 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

The biggest problem we have is the proximity to UTSA. They play in a huge stadium on the Riverwalk. Easy sell to fans.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-02-2014 04:56 PM
Hemi Man Offline
Hector's Homeboy

I Root For: Troy
(06-02-2014 04:42 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  

Neither does Troy.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
06-02-2014 04:57 PM
Advertisement

GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Good add. Was the no FCS on schedule a requirement from them?
06-02-2014 05:33 PM
chiefsfan Offline

(06-02-2014 05:33 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Good add. Was the no FCS on schedule a requirement from them?

Its certainly something we can use, point out that we don't play FCS after 2016...so our SOS could be higher.
06-02-2014 05:34 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(06-02-2014 05:34 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 05:33 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Good add. Was the no FCS on schedule a requirement from them?

Its certainly something we can use, point out that we don't play FCS after 2016...so our SOS could be higher.

I'll believe we've cut off FCS games when the 2017 schedule is announced. I don't believe Terry is going to handcuff himself into no FCS unless he can produce an acceptable schedule but I'll be surprised if any of the future FCS games aren't named Central Arkansas or Arkansas-Pine Bluff.
06-02-2014 05:41 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

We're stuck with FCS games for a while to get out of the scheduling 'hole' created by 2 for 1's and payday games. Unless we want a few seasons with 5 home games. In 2019 and 2020 we play on the road at USM and Tulane. It wouldn't be so bad to just have 5 home games those two years as the 6th game would be really close to Mobile. Especially in 2019, when we have a road game at Troy as well.

So if we wanted to dump FCS games... He're what we are looking at

2016 - we have 5 home games and 6 away games
2017 - we have 5 home games and 6 away games
2018 - we have 5 home games and 5 away games
2019 - we have 4 home games and 6 away games
2020 - we have 5 home games and 6 away games
2021 - we have 5 home games and 5 away games
2022 - we have 5 home games and 4 away games

Here are our options.

1) Keep kicking the can down the road by moving the backlog of games outward. That would be assume we can find teams willing to come to Mobile first. That generally tends to be difficult.

2) Schedule FCS games in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 to even it all out. We would be able to do the following with FBS schools - away 2018 home 2019; home 2021 away 2022.

We'd then have an open home and an open away game for 2022.

3) Suck it up and go with 5 home games in a couple of years.

I have no idea what we should do. My guess is that we'll just keep trying for option 1. I'd prefer a combination of 2 and 3. If we ever went for a 5 game home schedule, 2019 would be the year as we have road games at USM and Troy that year.

I think its a lot harder to fill a series that needs a home game first (because lots of schools would rather get the home game first). So it might be worth it to FCS it out of this mess so we have maximum flexibility in scheduling in the future.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 06:40 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
06-02-2014 06:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.