WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kalamazoo Growlers
Nacho Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU
Kalamazoo Growlers
Anyone go to the home opener last night? Nearly 5k people were there apparently. I'll have to hit it up sometime!
05-31-2014 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

RE: Kalamazoo Growlers
Two people I work with went last night. Both said they had a great time. One mentioned there were long lines at concession areas. I suppose that should be expected considering it was basically a sellout and their first game.

I'm already looking at their schedule to see when I can go and take my kids. Fun times.
05-31-2014 11:54 AM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
Until we get into a league with minor league affiliations I could care less about baseball at Homer Stryker. As for the sellout, I suspect the majority of those were comped tickets.
05-31-2014 12:06 PM
ColinApocalypse Offline

I might be going to the game tonight. I'll let you know how it is!
05-31-2014 02:28 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
A lot of these guys will play minor league ball in the next few years.
05-31-2014 08:22 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

I Root For: BetterCall Saul
Wasn't at the opener, but went to check it out last night. It was actually a really good time. I don't think they will ever get that 4910 attendance number again, but its good to see the community come out and support this team. And the caliber of talent is quite a bit better than what we saw with the Kings. I will definitely go back.
06-02-2014 10:50 AM
Advertisement

Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
(06-02-2014 10:50 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  Wasn't at the opener, but went to check it out last night. It was actually a really good time. I don't think they will ever get that 4910 attendance number again, but its good to see the community come out and support this team. And the caliber of talent is quite a bit better than what we saw with the Kings. I will definitely go back.

The talent is better? good to hear. It is a wood bat league correct? and it is college players? how have they started the season when many colleges are still playing? I really know nothing about this league. But I am interested in going to some games.
06-02-2014 10:52 AM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(06-02-2014 10:52 AM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 10:50 AM)WheresWaldo42 Wrote:  Wasn't at the opener, but went to check it out last night. It was actually a really good time. I don't think they will ever get that 4910 attendance number again, but its good to see the community come out and support this team. And the caliber of talent is quite a bit better than what we saw with the Kings. I will definitely go back.

The talent is better? good to hear. It is a wood bat league correct? and it is college players? how have they started the season when many colleges are still playing? I really know nothing about this league. But I am interested in going to some games.

I think the biggest difference we will see is the pitching. It's tough to find good pitching in the Independent Leagues of professional baseball. If a player is half way decent, a lefty, or throws 88+, he's likely signed with minor league affiliate.
06-02-2014 11:36 AM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

(06-02-2014 10:52 AM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  

Don't get me wrong, this is still a LOOOOOONG way from the Majors. There were a few errors and misplayed balls yesterday and I heard that both Friday and Saturday got a bit sloppy in the field at times.

However, these are all college kids. Playing without getting a paycheck. And they basically all came directly from college and started playing together, so I would guess that as they get a bit more comfortable with each other and the league that some of the mistakes will clean up.

yes it is a wood bat league. Most of the players are from colleges fairly close. WMU, CMU, MSU are well represented with at least 2 from each I believe. I know there is one from ND and Ohio St.

What I really took away from talking to people that were there Friday and Saturday and then going yesterday was that everyone really enjoyed the game and the atmosphere. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the momentum throughout and entire summer and beyond, but for now they are off to a good start.
06-02-2014 01:39 PM
Kimbosucks Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WMU/Boat Drinks
so what happens to the players who are still playing right now and don't sign a contract? can they add?
06-02-2014 01:41 PM
EA3 Offline
Heisman

(06-02-2014 01:41 PM)Kimbosucks Wrote:  so what happens to the players who are still playing right now and don't sign a contract? can they add?

I believe the team would play "short". For example, OK St is still playing in the NCAA postseason. If one of the Northwoods teams has a player from OK St, they would likely play without that player until their season is done.

Glancing at the rosters, a few teams might have 1 or 2 players from teams still in the tournament, some none at all. The top talent is still going to be channeled to the Cape Cod League and a few others.

Although, I am sure each team has access to alternates or fill in players in the event of injuries or emergencies. I couldn't find any info on the Northwoods site though.

http://northwoodsleague.com/
06-02-2014 01:57 PM
Advertisement

WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

Yes. If I'm not mistaken they basically just join the teams whenever their college teams are wrapped up. I don't recall how many are missing for the Growlers, seems like maybe only a couple. But Battle Creek has a couple guys from LSU that they are waiting on.

Again, its college kids playing ball basically for food and the potential exposure of pro scouts.
06-02-2014 03:05 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
Its great for the players. If you look at the list of former Northwood League players that are now in the MLB you will be surprised. Clayton Kershaw is probably the biggest name currently.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2014 04:07 PM by jubbasubba.)
06-02-2014 04:04 PM
WMUbroncos Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Western
Just stumbled upon this, and just thought I'd chime in that the talent level of the Kings was way higher than this team. The talent level in the Frontier League is comparable to High A or AA, according to people I've heard from. They're guys who are borderline or former minor league guys, but they're older than the guys in A or AA (generally.) The teams in the Northwoods League are made up of college guys, most of whom won't ever play pro baseball. Some of them will, though. And it is a pretty good college summer league. But in terms of ability the Kings were a long ways ahead of these guys (partly due to talent, and largely due to age.)
06-03-2014 03:53 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

(06-03-2014 03:53 PM)WMUbroncos Wrote:  Just stumbled upon this, and just thought I'd chime in that the talent level of the Kings was way higher than this team. The talent level in the Frontier League is comparable to High A or AA, according to people I've heard from. They're guys who are borderline or former minor league guys, but they're older than the guys in A or AA (generally.) The teams in the Northwoods League are made up of college guys, most of whom won't ever play pro baseball. Some of them will, though. And it is a pretty good college summer league. But in terms of ability the Kings were a long ways ahead of these guys (partly due to talent, and largely due to age.)

You may ultimately be correct. However, I can tell you that from my experience at 2 games so far. This team, atmosphere and everything that goes with it, is already much better than the Kings ever were.
06-04-2014 07:24 AM
Dirty Ernie Offline
Heisman

Might be symantics.

The older Kings guys may have had more training, coaching, and experience, so their skill level may be higher. Where these college folks may have a lot of talent, just not fully developed yet.
06-04-2014 05:09 PM
Advertisement

EA3 Offline
Heisman

Just saw the following David Drew tweet:

"Animal rights group NAPSA is protesting monkey rodeo night at Kalamazoo Growlers game June 19. @StephenM_Brooks is following the story."

I don't even know what to say about this.
06-05-2014 01:08 PM
WheresWaldo42 Offline
1st String

All you can say is. Welcome to Minor League Baseball.

And, where can I get tickets!!!!!!!
(This post was last modified: 06-05-2014 01:27 PM by WheresWaldo42.)
06-05-2014 01:27 PM
Chipdip2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: America
(06-05-2014 01:08 PM)EA3 Wrote:  Just saw the following David Drew tweet:

"Animal rights group NAPSA is protesting monkey rodeo night at Kalamazoo Growlers game June 19. @StephenM_Brooks is following the story."

I don't even know what to say about this.

Monkey rodeo, now that I might go to see.
06-05-2014 03:09 PM
SilentStryk09 Offline
Heisman

06-06-2014 12:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.