Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Spring Meetings this week (Official Updates Thread)
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
AAC Spring Meetings this week (Official Updates Thread)
Updates from the meetings this week should be rolling in on the Twitterverse throughout the coming days.

Lets keep them in a central location to access information. If you deem the content necessary for a debate, feel free to start another thread for specific topics, but lets try to keep a rolling feed of info here.
05-27-2014 08:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

RE: AAC Spring Meetings this week (Official Updates Thread)
Who are the best beat writers covering this? Dan Wolken?
05-27-2014 09:43 AM
Bearcat2012 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 21m
AAC meetings start tonight. Aresco has said every school in that league will do COA, but we’ll see. That could be a big dividing line.

Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 20m
If we get into a situation where some schools do and some school’s don’t within a given league, that will be really interesting.
05-27-2014 10:13 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

Interesting
05-27-2014 10:19 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
(05-27-2014 10:13 AM)Bearcat2012 Wrote:  Dan Wolken ‏@DanWolken 21m
AAC meetings start tonight. Aresco has said every school in that league will do COA, but we’ll see. That could be a big dividing line.

If we get into a situation where some schools do and some school’s don’t within a given league, that will be really interesting.

This is going to be the biggest issue to watch. If all of the AAC is on board with it, then I would assume that would be a clear recruiting advantage we'd have over the SBC, C-USA and the MAC, and apparently half the MWC (I believe I read elsewhere that not all of the MWC was going to do full cost).

If only half the AAC is able, then things get real interesting.
05-27-2014 10:24 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(05-27-2014 10:24 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

This is going to be the biggest issue to watch. If all of the AAC is on board with it, then I would assume that would be a clear recruiting advantage we'd have over the SBC, C-USA and the MAC, and apparently half the MWC (I believe I read elsewhere that not all of the MWC was going to do full cost).

[Image: Eviction-Notice.jpg]

Pay up or get out.
05-27-2014 10:27 AM
Advertisement

EastCarolinaU. Offline
2nd String

I Root For: AAC/ECU

I think it should be mandatory for AAC membership. We say we are better than the G5, we say we can hang with the P5, it's time to put our money where our mouth is. Those who can't hang . . . we will find others who can.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 10:29 AM by EastCarolinaU..)
05-27-2014 10:28 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I find it funny that all the discussion over COA is with the AAC and MWC. There is no way all the CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC schools can afford it, just no way.
05-27-2014 10:29 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(05-27-2014 10:29 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I find it funny that all the discussion over COA is with the AAC and MWC. There is no way all the CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC schools can afford it, just no way.

True, not all, but some probably could. Rice comes to mind.
05-27-2014 10:30 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(05-27-2014 10:29 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I find it funny that all the discussion over COA is with the AAC and MWC. There is no way all the CUSA, Sun Belt, and MAC schools can afford it, just no way.

Why not? It's under a million for most of them to fulfill the base requirement. the problem will be all the "other perks" that the P5 will want... and FWIW none of us will be able to keep up there.
(This post was last modified: 05-27-2014 10:34 AM by blunderbuss.)
05-27-2014 10:32 AM
goldenhurricane2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tulsa
Re: RE: AAC Spring Meetings this week (Official Updates Thread)
(05-27-2014 10:28 AM)EastCarolinaU. Wrote:  

I think it should be mandatory for AAC membership. We say we are better than the G5, we say we can hang with the P5, it's time to put our money where our mouth is. Those who can't hang . . . we will find others who can.

Wouldn't this have been a topic of discussion during the expansion meetings with the newly added schools?

I can't imagine the AAC inviting institutions who weren't financially committed or who wouldn't be able to pay for something mandated by the conference.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-27-2014 10:33 AM
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2014 10:30 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

Theres a difference between endowment and athletic budgets. Rice cant take money from their endowment to cover COA.
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert

If only half is the AAC is able then I think we start to see the formation of a new conference comprised of those able from the AAC and the MWC.
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

(05-27-2014 10:33 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

If only half is the AAC is able then I think we start to see the formation of a new conference comprised of those able from the AAC and the MWC.

Way more than half will do it. I bet all will cover it. Even if it means cutting sports.
05-27-2014 10:34 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(05-27-2014 10:33 AM)goldenhurricane2 Wrote:  Wouldn't this have been a topic of discussion during the expansion meetings with the newly added schools?

I can't imagine the AAC inviting institutions who weren't financially committed or who wouldn't be able to pay for something mandated by the conference.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

Possibly. I wonder if it was being broadly discussed at that time. It seems like a more recent development than most of the Big East/AAC expansion.

I would not be surprised if other moves (ie Temple cutting sports) were made so schools could come up with the extra cash for this.
05-27-2014 10:35 AM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

(05-27-2014 10:33 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  
(05-27-2014 10:30 AM)Chappy Wrote:  

Theres a difference between endowment and athletic budgets. Rice cant take money from their endowment to cover COA.

I was thinking wealthy donors.
05-27-2014 10:36 AM
Advertisement

DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(05-27-2014 10:33 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Theres a difference between endowment and athletic budgets. Rice cant take money from their endowment to cover COA.
No they can't. But they can take money from their general fund to cover it. And having strong endowments allows programs to comfortably take from their general fund. And it also allows Presidents to comfortably direct donors to athletics and athletics projects.
05-27-2014 10:44 AM
DrBox Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(05-27-2014 10:27 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  [Image: Eviction-Notice.jpg]

Pay up or get out.

Some of the signs on here are just hilarious. Like ths one.
05-27-2014 10:45 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I'd bet my life savings that the Alabama board of trustees find a way to make UAB unable to pay COA
05-27-2014 10:48 AM
blunderbuss Offline
Banned

I Root For: ECU & the CSA
(05-27-2014 10:48 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  I'd bet my life savings that the Alabama board of trustees find a way to make UAB unable to pay COA

Oh, I don't doubt that at all. I'm just saying the money is there to pay the very base amount (stipend). The stipend money is blown out of proportion. The problem is all the other crap the P5 wants.
05-27-2014 10:51 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.