UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scarbo: UAB and Auburn have to start playing again in hoops, whatever it takes
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Scarbo: UAB and Auburn have to start playing again in hoops, whatever it takes
05-24-2014 09:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

demiveeman Offline
Heisman

BlazerTalk Award
RE: Scarbo: UAB and Auburn have to start playing again in hoops, whatever it takes
Or else what....
05-24-2014 10:23 AM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
RE: Scarbo: UAB and Auburn have to start playing again in hoops, whatever it takes
One game at Auburn, one at UAB, one at the BJCC. I think that is fair.
05-24-2014 12:16 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

As long as series starts in Bham, preferably Bartow. Otherwise, as has happened numerous times in FB vs the SEC(& other P5 schools), they could/would simply buy out the return game.
05-24-2014 12:27 PM
BlazintheATL Offline
All American

Agree that the first one should be in Birmingham, even if its at the BJCC.
05-24-2014 12:49 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-24-2014 12:49 PM)BlazintheATL Wrote:  Agree that the first one should be in Birmingham, even if its at the BJCC.

Yup!
05-24-2014 12:53 PM
Advertisement

BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(05-24-2014 10:23 AM)demiveeman Wrote:  Or else what....

Scarbo won't have any thing to write about.
05-24-2014 01:42 PM
the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Nope, they don't.
05-24-2014 02:48 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
As an actuary might say about the cost of an insurance policy, "it is all about the risk". If AU (or any other such team) wants to play at their house first, then the buyout should be huge for the following games - a million or better.
05-25-2014 10:41 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2014 10:41 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  As an actuary might say about the cost of an insurance policy, "it is all about the risk". If AU (or any other such team) wants to play at their house first, then the buyout should be huge for the following games - a million or better.

03-lmfao a million dollars? This is a regular season basketball game with no TV involved. Get a clue.
05-25-2014 10:55 AM
GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(05-25-2014 10:55 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(05-25-2014 10:41 AM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  As an actuary might say about the cost of an insurance policy, "it is all about the risk". If AU (or any other such team) wants to play at their house first, then the buyout should be huge for the following games - a million or better.

03-lmfao a million dollars? This is a regular season basketball game with no TV involved. Get a clue.

The point of the buyout is that Auburn wouldn't dare bail out. The value is probably somewhere south of $1 mil, but it needs to be high enough that all the major newspapers in Alabama would scold Auburn for fiscal irresponsibility.
05-25-2014 11:27 AM
Advertisement

wilsond75 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: The Blazers
Playing in-state teams would create some additional interest in basketball around here, I believe. And that's something that is lacking in Alabama.

So I this the idea as a positive one.
05-25-2014 12:07 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

I Root For: Dragons

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
UAB is not in the business of propping up other programs.
05-25-2014 12:48 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-25-2014 12:48 PM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB is not in the business of propping up other programs.

Playing Auburn does not prop up Auburn. The idea that UAB is propping up anyone is simply arrogance on the Louisville level.

It benefits UAB to generate interest in Basketball. Playing Auburn two games in Birmingham will generate more interest in basketball in Birmingham than playing North Carolina. For those who weren't around when UAB played Auburn regularly, you don't realize the excitement those games generated in the city. I want a return of that excitement. Sticking our head in the sand and saying we are too good to play anyone or thinking we can dictate terms in our current state hurts only UAB.
05-25-2014 01:26 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-25-2014 01:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(05-25-2014 12:48 PM)Smaug Wrote:  UAB is not in the business of propping up other programs.

Playing Auburn does not prop up Auburn. The idea that UAB is propping up anyone is simply arrogance on the Louisville level.

It benefits UAB to generate interest in Basketball. Playing Auburn two games in Birmingham will generate more interest in basketball in Birmingham than playing North Carolina. For those who weren't around when UAB played Auburn regularly, you don't realize the excitement those games generated in the city. I want a return of that excitement. Sticking our head in the sand and saying we are too good to play anyone or thinking we can dictate terms in our current state hurts only UAB.

1. Why Auburn wants to do a series now?
2. Why Auburn had not approached UAB in the past?

UAB fans aren't sticking their in the sand. But why is it UAB has to be the one to get the short end of the deal? If Auburn wants two games at their place why UAB can't get two at Bartow?

Hell, I say play two games in Montgomery and two at the BJCC if it is about renewing the interest of college basketball in Alabama. UAB has reached out to Auburn before about renewing the series and Auburn said no.

At worst, Auburn can bring their azzes to the BJCC for one game. Pearl gets what he wants, UAB gets something out of it, and you rekindle the interest of basketball in this state again.
05-25-2014 02:15 PM
DM Blazer Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: The Blazers
(05-25-2014 10:55 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

How do you know there would not be t.v.are you a palm reader also.
05-25-2014 02:58 PM
Advertisement

the_blazerman Offline
Legend

Lest we forget the last time Auburn played UAB at the BJCC.
05-25-2014 03:02 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

(05-25-2014 01:26 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

My comment was tongue in cheek.

It's the argument thrown our way when it's suggested one of the in-state $EC whores should play us in football.
05-25-2014 03:15 PM
Smaug Offline
Happnin' Dude

It's Mackin, and I'm pretty sure they're going to do what they think is best for the program regardless of what we think is best for the program.
05-25-2014 04:29 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
The idea behind a substantial buyout is to try to insure the game is played rather than the buyout paid. If a school doesn't care that much, then it won't matter.

For the record, Bama paid Kent State $1.2 million for a PPV game and paid Colorado State $1.5 million for their one game. Both state schools Athletic Depts. average spending about $200,000 annually per athlete (since 2010) so a million is not for them what it is for us.
05-25-2014 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.