05-22-2014 02:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BeliefBlazer Offline
Super Moderator

I Root For: UAB

DonatorsDonators
RE: Bell: Dome Isn't Dead
Yes, it is. It has been for quite some time.
05-22-2014 02:24 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
Half a billion dollars, before overruns. Give us 10% of that instead.

Talk is cheap. Coming up with $500m, that's not.
05-22-2014 03:59 PM
WesternBlazer Offline
Hall of Famer

Five key questions about Birmingham's dome project
http://www.bizjournals.com/birmingham/ne...twt&page=2
05-22-2014 04:14 PM
GreenHornet33 Offline
All American

I Root For: Jackson State Tigers
Until I visit Bham and see dome/multi-purpose facility construction taking place, I'm not holding my breath.
05-22-2014 06:02 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Just don't believe Birmingham needs a multipurpose facility anymore. Update the BJCC, cross your fingers that B'ham could get an NHL franchise, and go with that.
05-22-2014 08:57 PM
Advertisement

GreenMississippi Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB / VCU
(05-22-2014 08:57 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Just don't believe Birmingham needs a multipurpose facility anymore. Update the BJCC, cross your fingers that B'ham could get an NHL franchise, and go with that.
There isn't a franchise that Bham can acquire. There are too many cities ahead in all leagues, and the region is represented in all leagues. Even in the NHL, the Nashville Predators would oppose a Birmingham team drawing support from Huntsville.

But I was wondering when the momentum in Birmingham would heat up discussion about the Dome. At the very least, the possibility of UAB playing in a pro-quality stadium might scare the BoT enough to allow us to build an OCS on the condition that we don't partner with the city for the Dome. Playing in a dome in a city is a recruiting tool that differentiates us positively from Tuscaloosa and Auburn.
05-22-2014 09:24 PM
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
(05-22-2014 09:24 PM)GreenMississippi Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 08:57 PM)BamaScorpio69 Wrote:  Just don't believe Birmingham needs a multipurpose facility anymore. Update the BJCC, cross your fingers that B'ham could get an NHL franchise, and go with that.
There isn't a franchise that Bham can acquire. There are too many cities ahead in all leagues, and the region is represented in all leagues. Even in the NHL, the Nashville Predators would oppose a Birmingham team drawing support from Huntsville.

But I was wondering when the momentum in Birmingham would heat up discussion about the Dome. At the very least, the possibility of UAB playing in a pro-quality stadium might scare the BoT enough to allow us to build an OCS on the condition that we don't partner with the city for the Dome. Playing in a dome in a city is a recruiting tool that differentiates us positively from Tuscaloosa and Auburn.

As the risk of sounding negative, I will just say even though Birmingham may never get an NHL franchise, Nashville would never be a reason why it wouldn't happen.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 02:20 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
05-22-2014 10:06 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
In uses for the city's MPF, what I recall clearly was the statement by the GA Dome manager right after that storm tore its roof badly during the SEC basketball tournament. He was quoted as stating that "We have over 200 events scheduled for the GA Dome so we must get it fixed before they make other plans". He did NOT say "200 football games" or "200 other sports events". He was obviously talking about conventions and similar business gatherings. NOTE: B'ham could have been in a position to "help them out" IF the MPF had been built when first proposed in 1998.

B'ham has had some things work out well in recent years so it is not a wonder that the MPF is again being discussed. In my opinion, if the MPF is not built to enable the city to get into the bigger conventions competition, the city's new forward energy may falter as old doubts from the 20th century reemerge to strangle any new initiatives. We have a choice - another growth spurt with positive building or face a replay of the Morris Ave entertainment district farther north.
05-22-2014 10:33 PM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-22-2014 10:33 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  In uses for the city's MPF, what I recall clearly was the statement by the GA Dome manager right after that storm tore its roof badly during the SEC basketball tournament. He was quoted as stating that "We have over 200 events scheduled for the GA Dome so we must get it fixed before they make other plans". He did NOT say "200 football games" or "200 other sports events". He was obviously talking about conventions and similar business gatherings. NOTE: B'ham could have been in a position to "help them out" IF the MPF had been built when first proposed in 1998.

Really? 200.

I had never heard that before. What was his name?
05-22-2014 11:01 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yes really.
05-23-2014 07:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UABslant Offline

DonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(05-22-2014 11:01 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 10:33 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  In uses for the city's MPF, what I recall clearly was the statement by the GA Dome manager right after that storm tore its roof badly during the SEC basketball tournament. He was quoted as stating that "We have over 200 events scheduled for the GA Dome so we must get it fixed before they make other plans". He did NOT say "200 football games" or "200 other sports events". He was obviously talking about conventions and similar business gatherings. NOTE: B'ham could have been in a position to "help them out" IF the MPF had been built when first proposed in 1998.

Really? 200.

In 2011, the Georgia Dome hosted 188 licensed use days.
05-23-2014 11:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
That was 2008.
05-23-2014 11:39 AM
Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
If only we had someone one the board to remind us periodically of this stuff.

Does anyone know why some of the seats at Legion Field are gold?
05-23-2014 11:48 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead.
05-23-2014 12:04 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award

Really? 200.

Perhaps you could "GOOGLE" it? I believe you would make a first rate Alabama politician with your snarky approach to everything.

Yes, he said "200" and I doubt he meant 200 EXACTLY. He was reacting to that emergency with that statement which was quoted in the news coverage of the day. The point is that the "SPORTS ONLY" mentality many seem to have overlooks the year round uses for such a MPF to our detriment. Money spent in the city for conventions may represent greater profitability per investment dollars than that for sports since there are far more conventions than games at stake.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 12:41 PM by BAMANBLAZERFAN.)
05-23-2014 12:11 PM
Advertisement

Memphis Blazer Offline
Nambie Pambie

I Root For:

(05-23-2014 12:11 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

Really? 200.

Perhaps you could "GOOGLE" it? I believe you would make a first rate Alabama politician with your snarky approach to everything.

Yes, he said "200" and I doubt he meant 200 EXACTLY. He was reacting to that emergency with that statement which was quoted in the news coverage of the day. The point is that the "SPORTS ONLY" mentality many seem to have overlooks the year round uses for such a MPF to our detriment. Money spent in the city for conventions may represent greater profitability per investment dollars than that for sports since there are far more conventions than games at stake.

But what was his name? Surely since recall in vivid detail, everything he said, you recall the name of your hero.
05-23-2014 12:51 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
Does the city of Birmingham have a hotel/motel tax?
05-23-2014 02:56 PM
bladhmadh Offline
All American

(05-23-2014 12:51 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(05-23-2014 12:11 PM)BAMANBLAZERFAN Wrote:  

I remember reading an article

Really? 200.

But what was his name? Surely since recall in vivid detail, everything he said, you recall the name of your hero.

I remember reading an article to that effect
05-23-2014 02:56 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

(05-23-2014 02:56 PM)panama Wrote:  Does the city of Birmingham have a hotel/motel tax?

It does, and a largish one. It also has various funding mechanisms in place to make and set aside money for the dome. Around $200m has been generated by them... which has been raided and spent as general funds.

Typical JeffCo/Birmingham.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 03:42 PM by UAB Band Dad.)
05-23-2014 03:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.