Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame
Bookmark and Share
sixtoes9134 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: App State
Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 01:02 PM by sixtoes9134.)
05-22-2014 12:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

I Root For: Ga Southern
RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame
congrats to him. He was a great coach and a great guy. happy for him
05-22-2014 01:11 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(05-22-2014 01:11 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  congrats to him. He was a great coach and a great guy. happy for him

Congrats to Jerry Moore and to the App Nation!
05-22-2014 01:23 PM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
He deserves it.
05-22-2014 01:27 PM
NCeagle Offline
NOT BANNED

you know a coach is a good guy when the first three responses to a thread like this are from an arch rival. haha.
05-22-2014 01:37 PM
GoApps70 Offline

I Root For: Appalachian St.
Jerry Moore is one of a kind.
05-22-2014 05:43 PM
Advertisement

Campaign4Liberty Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Neil Young
My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan. This is priceless. Upset number 5 Michigan...tear down goalpost...transport it to Chancellor's front yard. Too epic for words really.

Can you imagine if you were driving one of those cars in the first part of the video? Could they ever have imagined a goal post coming down the street and going over top of their cars??? Would you be more concerned for your car or just say screw it, we beat Michigan? Too epic either way. Congrats to Coach Moore and ASU!!!

05-22-2014 05:57 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(05-22-2014 05:57 PM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan.

I thought the announcers did a masterful job. "Dexter Jackson runs away from the Michigan Defense!"

05-22-2014 06:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

Congrats to Coach Moore, well deserved.

Since this is about the coach, my favorite quote from Coach about that game was when in the post game interview, he told the lady from BTN something like "we have to get home and get ready, we've got Lenior-Rhyne coming to our place next week". The media thought that was funny, but that was Coach Moore.
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 06:34 PM by AppfanInCAAland.)
05-22-2014 06:34 PM
AppfanInCAAland Offline
1st String

(05-22-2014 06:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 05:57 PM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan.

I thought the announcers did a masterful job. "Dexter Jackson runs away from the Michigan Defense!"

No one can top his dad Marty*, but Thom Brenneman isn't bad.

*except maybe Vin Scully
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2014 06:37 PM by AppfanInCAAland.)
05-22-2014 06:36 PM
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.
05-22-2014 07:22 PM
Advertisement

Eagle's Cliff Offline
1st String

Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Jerry deserves a lot of the credit for App's success over the past decade.

Sorry, but one of the criteria for membership is being a coach for 10 years. Erk Russell only coached for 8, but built a team from scratch to compile an 83-22-1 record (.78774) including 3 National Championships, 1 NC Runner-up, and a 15-0 season which was a first in D1 at the time. The team he left for his successor won a NC the following year as well. To leave him out, in my mind, degrades this HOF. Erk would be 31st (out of 203 plus this year) on the list in win percentage. Exceptions were made for guys from the early days of college football, but NO ONE has done or will do what Erk Russell did. That's to say nothing about the fact that he left the 1980 NC Georgia Bulldogs to start the program at Southern.

Congrats to Jerry, end of rant03-banghead
05-22-2014 08:35 PM
appsfan Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

You make a good case for Erk. Anyway, congratulations to Coach Moore!
05-22-2014 08:49 PM
GoApps70 Offline

Wonder which will be thought of in the same way in the
future, Herr Fritz or SS.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 02:27 AM by GoApps70.)
05-23-2014 02:19 AM
ASUMountaineer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
(05-22-2014 06:34 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  Congrats to Coach Moore, well deserved.

Since this is about the coach, my favorite quote from Coach about that game was when in the post game interview, he told the lady from BTN something like "we have to get home and get ready, we've got Lenior-Rhyne coming to our place next week". The media thought that was funny, but that was Coach Moore.

That made it into the Sports Illustrated issue with DJ on the front. It was in their, "they said it (IIRC)" feature.
05-23-2014 12:19 PM
ASUMountaineer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Appalachian
(05-22-2014 07:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
05-23-2014 12:21 PM
Advertisement

MG61 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UNT
(05-22-2014 07:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.

Moore coached at North Texas 2 years (1979-1980) and then was the HC at Texas Tech for 5 years. Very happy for the recognition that coach Moore is receiving.07-coffee3
05-23-2014 02:03 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
Ah, I remember being up at an Appalachian State game about 2000 (I think, it all tends to run together after awhile) and for a while sitting next to a Mountaineer fan who was fairly critical of the ASU program for its inability to get over the hump and win it all. That was obviously before the three-peat and the win over Michigan.

All that to say Moore, who started out .500 and had a losing record at Texas Tech, is probably is one of the last of his kind because expectations most fans have changed. We don't give coaches time to figure it out anymore. If they don't win immediately -- or as close to immediately as three years will bring -- they're gone.

Except maybe that dickhead Lane Kiffen.

Congrats to Moore. Well deserved.
05-23-2014 03:59 PM
gsu95 Offline
Fifth Estate

I Root For: USC, GS
(05-22-2014 08:35 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Sorry, but one of the criteria for membership is being a coach for 10 years. Erk Russell only coached for 8, but built a team from scratch to compile an 83-22-1 record (.78774) including 3 National Championships, 1 NC Runner-up, and a 15-0 season which was a first in D1 at the time. The team he left for his successor won a NC the following year as well. To leave him out, in my mind, degrades this HOF. Erk would be 31st (out of 203 plus this year) on the list in win percentage. Exceptions were made for guys from the early days of college football, but NO ONE has done or will do what Erk Russell did. That's to say nothing about the fact that he left the 1980 NC Georgia Bulldogs to start the program at Southern.

Rant on. Oh, and I have a feeling there's a good chance Erk will get in and that may happen sooner rather than later.
05-23-2014 04:01 PM
AppinVA Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-23-2014 04:01 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 08:35 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Rant on. Oh, and I have a feeling there's a good chance Erk will get in and that may happen sooner rather than later.

He needs to be in. And I'm happy for Coach Moore.
05-23-2014 05:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.