Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Best (and worst) away game experience
Juan Tibonya Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
Best (and worst) away game experience
So it is the offseason and nothing to talk about. so let's hear about the best away game experience you have had for your program. We have all been homecoming fodder at some point in program history which allows our teams the luxury of traveling to different cities for games. Tell us where the best away game you went to, what the fan experience was and why you rate it so good.

Then the opposite. what was the worst.

I will start:

Best: UCF v. Nebraska 1997. Daunte lead team winning at half. Fans did not let me pay for anything all weekend so long as I was wearing UCF gear. Great atmosphere; great fans. Wisc. close second

Worst: UCF v. GA Southern; 1AA playoffs. Fans were horrible. Town is a dump. Grandma in overalls and no teeth threw bourbon bottles at us in the stands(no exaggeration); Close second UGA
05-20-2014 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: Best (and worst) away game experience
Worst will always be Penn State, where my experiences have included getting verbally assaulted unprovoked by a grandfather standing next to his approximately 10 year old grandson.

I haven't done a lot of travel to away games for Temple. I've been to Ohio U, Maryland, Pitt, and our Bowl Game in New Mexico. I wouldn't say any of them stood out other than the Bowl Game.
05-20-2014 01:32 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
For Memphis:

Best (tie) - Memphis beating UT in Memphis - the only time; the New Orleans Bowl verus North Texas, just because

Worst - Losing to UC after a 4th and forever play with little time left to be shut out of a bowl game, somehting the Tigers had not been to in years

For WVU:

Best - Beating Flutie's BC for the fourth straight time with Darryl Talley at linebacker

Worst - The Sugar Bowl beat down by Florida to close out an undefeated season
05-20-2014 01:33 PM
Tigeer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UoM & WVU
Oop! Mis-read the topic.

Best experiences have been at Marshall, but I grew up near there

Worst at ECU, but only because we encountered a few ___holes and my wife was thrown out for pouring water out of a sippy cup over the wall
05-20-2014 01:38 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
Worst - UC getting destroyed by 1-AA Indiana State in the Hoosier Dome in front of at most 2,000 total attendance. It was so quiet the team could hear me screaming "Wake Up!" repeatedly throughout the game.

Best (tie)
Even though UC lost both games, I got to see them play in the Orange Bowl and the Sugar Bowl, something I never thought I would see, and in person at that.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 01:53 PM by bearcatfan.)
05-20-2014 01:50 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Best: UC at OSU (twice)... I know a lot of UC fans will disagree with me, but I found both times I went to Ohio Stadium to be a lot of fun and the Buck-nuts pretty cordial. I did get a couple of random remarks shouted at me by a couple of drunk frat-boys, but other than that I was treated very nicely. (Big Ten fans, IMO, are a pretty classy bunch on the whole. I have been to games at Iowa (Kinnick), OSU (Ohio Stadium), and Wisconsin (Camp Randall) though not always as the "visiting team" and have found all three stadiums to be a great experience.)

Worst: UC at Marshall at 2008... I never went to the UC at WVU games, but I can imagine what those were like (I now live in Morgantown, WV). The "worst" experience I had as a Bearcat fan was going to the Marshall game in Huntington... I do not like Joan Edwards stadium (I have been there for several Marshall games). The Marshall fans were talking smack to me (I sat in a mixed section, on the visitor's side, at about the 40...the "UC section" was way up in a far-corner) and then just got surly as the Bearcats pulled away. By the end of the third quarter, most of the stadium had emptied out. As I exited the stadium, I actually was in fear for my safety as a group of tough looking guys who were leaning up against a wall fell in behind me... And I am a city-dweller, I don't scare easy. Fortunately, I had parked close and was able to get into my car fairly quickly.

From other Bearcat fans...and I have heard it echoed from Fresno State fans as well...I think Hawai'i is a terrible trip. Horrible stadium, really terrible fans... I haven't heard a single good thing about flying out to Hawai'i as a visiting fan.
05-20-2014 01:53 PM
Advertisement

Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
I've only had 1 bad experience ever, and that was when the Pirates played Duke in either '93 or '94.

We park in the grass beside the road (like everyone else was doing) because there was nowhere to park, and some Duke students started yelling at us saying we were destroying the environment. We thought they were being sarcastic at first and joked back, but they were actually being serious, so our banter made them angry. It ended with some random old guy breaking up a fight between someone from our group and someone from theirs, and after that Duke beat us pretty bad... it was a bad day all around.

Believe it or not some of my best tailgating experiences on the road have been at NC State. A good portion of their fans appreciate good football and good barbecue.
05-20-2014 02:00 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
My only bad experiences have been in Baton Rouge. Once saw a group of frat boys spit on a family for absolutely no reason. Baseball games can be the worst.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 02:07 PM by wavefan12.)
05-20-2014 02:07 PM
bctn8n Offline
1st String

I Root For: .
Pitt in 2009. Our group had beer bottles thrown at us for now reason. The game was awesome though.
05-20-2014 02:19 PM
Stardust Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: ECU, AAC
I have found most fans to be very welcoming. However, anytime one travels to UNC, chances are good that a few UNC fans with media-inflated egos and a false sense of superiority will revel in crude and rude behavior.
05-20-2014 02:59 PM
No Bull Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UCF
(05-20-2014 01:28 PM)Juan Tibonya Wrote:  So it is the offseason and nothing to talk about. so let's hear about the best away game experience you have had for your program. We have all been homecoming fodder at some point in program history which allows our teams the luxury of traveling to different cities for games. Tell us where the best away game you went to, what the fan experience was and why you rate it so good.

Then the opposite. what was the worst.

I will start:

Best: UCF v. Nebraska 1997. Daunte lead team winning at half. Fans did not let me pay for anything all weekend so long as I was wearing UCF gear. Great atmosphere; great fans. Wisc. close second

Worst: UCF v. GA Southern; 1AA playoffs. Fans were horrible. Town is a dump. Grandma in overalls and no teeth threw bourbon bottles at us in the stands(no exaggeration); Close second UGA

Best for me was the same Nebraska game. We lead at half time and there fans gave us a standing ovation. Classy fans and Lincoln Nebraska is a great town.

Worst for me was at South Carolina. C aught two games there and the fans are obnoxious.
05-20-2014 03:02 PM
Advertisement

ncbeta Offline
Suffering from trolliosis

Some of my best experiences: Tennessee vs Auburn '04 in Atlanta. Friendly fans all around. Wearing ECU stuff to an NC State game when we weren't playing them and having a tailgate full of people (who I didn't know) watch the ECU @ USM game... ECU vs South Carolina in Charlotte.

Worst: Every time I go to UNC some pompous ass makes comments about ECU. Every. Time. At least they are mostly wimps...so nothing ever goes beyond banter. This year at NC State I had some drunk fan come up to me (randomly) and get in my face saying "F*** ECU. We will beat you turds today and win out..the Pierats will be good for something." Then a few people sitting around us kept making crappy comments about ECU..they left before halftime thankfully.
05-20-2014 03:21 PM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
(05-20-2014 01:32 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Worst will always be Penn State, where my experiences have included getting verbally assaulted unprovoked by a grandfather standing next to his approximately 10 year old grandson.

Seeing some of your posts, present and past (let us not forget the wishing someone had died), and your farily racist twitter comments about the Alabama recruit, I would not so easily buy the "unprovoked" part.
05-20-2014 03:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
Texas Tech fans are the worst. A&M fans are nice.
05-20-2014 03:33 PM
ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

WORST: Easily @ NC State in '08. Got a beer dumped on my head by a 350lbs redneck in overalls as he said "Pirates suck" from one row behind me. This was during a timeout! I hadn't said a word to him the entire game. As I was about to swing at the guy, 2 cops damn near yanked him out of his overalls.

Also had a bad experience (wearing a WFU shirt) at the Meinike Car Care Bowl vs UCONN back when they had Donald Brown. The students were awful. Constantly trying to start fights with anyone wearing a WFU shirt in the bathrooms @ Bank of America Stadium.
05-20-2014 03:48 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Went to tcu vs Cincy years ago in their bcs run. Great fans from what I could tell at tcu.

Clemson - great fans an awesome stadium and atmosphere

NC State - a few frat guys yelled at us but overall a good experience. Expected worse

Miami - surprisingly it was fine. One idiot in our section but I pretty much write off a few as not being representative of a fanbase.

Florida - a lot of D-bags but it cool experience if you have thick skin for yelling rednecks.

South Florida - I'll write my experiences off as a rival so I don't know how they act when it isn't ucf playing. Plenty of pleasant fans but packs of them make it near unenjoyable experience.

Tulane - hopefully the new stadium helps b/c I've been twice and the stadium looked vacant. Can't even comment on fans b/c they were hard to find.

FIU - see tulane. They didn't have many fans and almost zero media coverage in Miami. I did go the weekend of FL vs Miami and I got strange looks that I was going to a fiu game. Couldn't find any am station for fiu or newspaper stories.

Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.
05-20-2014 03:52 PM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2014 03:52 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Went to tcu vs Cincy years ago in their bcs run. Great fans from what I could tell at tcu.

Clemson - great fans an awesome stadium and atmosphere

NC State - a few frat guys yelled at us but overall a good experience. Expected worse

Miami - surprisingly it was fine. One idiot in our section but I pretty much write off a few as not being representative of a fanbase.

Florida - a lot of D-bags but it cool experience if you have thick skin for yelling rednecks.

South Florida - I'll write my experiences off as a rival so I don't know how they act when it isn't ucf playing. Plenty of pleasant fans but packs of them make it near unenjoyable experience.

Tulane - hopefully the new stadium helps b/c I've been twice and the stadium looked vacant. Can't even comment on fans b/c they were hard to find.

FIU - see tulane. They didn't have many fans and almost zero media coverage in Miami. I did go the weekend of FL vs Miami and I got strange looks that I was going to a fiu game. Couldn't find any am station for fiu or newspaper stories.

Those are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

Agreed 100%. I've been there twice... awesome town, awesome stadium, awesome fans.
05-20-2014 03:54 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(05-20-2014 03:23 PM)adcorbett Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 01:32 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  Worst will always be Penn State, where my experiences have included getting verbally assaulted unprovoked by a grandfather standing next to his approximately 10 year old grandson.

Seeing some of your posts, present and past (let us not forget the wishing someone had died), and your farily racist twitter comments about the Alabama recruit, I would not so easily buy the "unprovoked" part.

His post wasn't racist. Simple observation. Alabama recruit ends up with a 30k+ car living in a house valued at 60k. It isn't like Alabama isn't known for payments to recruits. Not worth the time to argue b/c nothing will ever happen to the big named schools unless the media really pushes it.

Green isn't a race 04-cheers
05-20-2014 03:56 PM
KittyHawkPirate Offline
Water Engineer

UCF by far. I’ve been to WVU, VT, UNC, NCSU and numerous others, but have never seen fans as bad as when I went to UCF 4-5 years ago. I took my wife and 5 year old son to the game. We parked at a public lot across campus from the stadium and decide to walk through campus to get to the stadium with about 6-8 others friends (shortest route with a younger kid). My 5 year old must of heard the F-Bomb thrown at us two dozen times and given the middle finger more times than I can count. All I have to say is it is not a family atmosphere and don’t take young children. Go with adults and stick to the main roads. I do have to say the adult alumni I meet were fine and it was mostly students.
05-20-2014 04:11 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
best- Michigan, Ann Arbor. nicest folks in the world. classy collegiate atmosphere. best school for a football game in the big ten.

worst- that urban blight that is louisville and the pepto bismol cardinal stadium
05-20-2014 04:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.