Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

BYU looking to join a conference?
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
BYU looking to join a conference?
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball...hedule-byu

...To show the wide variance in how the Mountain West considers BYU, one source at a league school said there was informal mention of the Cougars re-joining the league in Phoenix. BYU was a charter Mountain West member from 1999 until going independent in 2011.

“It was mentioned, if that's informal,” the source said. “It was mentioned in one of the meetings but it was nothing. It was just brought up. Nothing to move on.”

However, the source also said, “from my perspective hearing what's going on with BYU, they need a place to land.”...
05-20-2014 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
RE: BYU looking to join a conference?
Dan Wolken seems to think theres some fire from this smoke
05-20-2014 09:50 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I can see BYU finally making the decision to join the Big 12. It solves all of their problems. Otherwise it's the MWC IMO.
05-20-2014 09:54 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-20-2014 09:50 AM)NBPirate Wrote:  Dan Wolken seems to think theres some fire from this smoke

I think BYU might be desperate to get into the Big12. BYU knows they can land a G5 invite anytime they wish. The quote about BYU needing a place to land is a MW officials accessment of the BYU situation. That's not necessarily the same as BYU's view of thier situation. Personally, I think independence is not as viable as it was just a few years ago. That said, BYU is making far more than they would under any G5 conference banner and they probably have better exposure than they would get under anyone but the AAC---and that's probably a draw. The places where G5 conference membership would help them is late season scheduling, bowl access, and easier access to a BCS level bowl. Is that now enough to change the math on BYU's decision to try independence? Thus far, it hasn't been.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 10:04 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-20-2014 09:57 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
If BYU is able to make the Big 12 jump it's likely they take one lucky AAC team with them.
05-20-2014 10:07 AM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
(05-20-2014 09:54 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  I can see BYU finally making the decision to join the Big 12. It solves all of their problems. Otherwise it's the MWC IMO.

They (BYU) get to decide????
05-20-2014 10:10 AM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-20-2014 09:54 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  I can see BYU finally making the decision to join the Big 12. It solves all of their problems. Otherwise it's the MWC IMO.

Making the decision to join the Big12? That's all well and good... if there's an invite; But the B12 saw BYU as a less appealing option than TCU, so to assume they'd add them solely on their merits as a singular addition is dicey.

As for the MWC, THOSE ARE THE TEAMS THAT BYU SPLIT FROM, in forming the original MWC. I doubt they will go there.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 10:11 AM by BigEastHomer.)
05-20-2014 10:10 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-20-2014 10:10 AM)wavefan12 Wrote:  

No, but I do think that the Big 12 will be their first choice and by a long shot. Before they go any other route I'd expect them to make their case to the Big 12 and their best offer. As I recall, at last realignment, BYU would join the Big 12 with stipulations only.
05-20-2014 10:17 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(05-20-2014 10:17 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  

No, but I do think that the Big 12 will be their first choice and by a long shot. Before they go any other route I'd expect them to make their case to the Big 12 and their best offer. As I recall, at last realignment, BYU would join the Big 12 with stipulations only.

BYUtv seems to be the Big 12's biggest issue with BYU. If they can work that out, I can see the Big 12 adding them.
05-20-2014 10:20 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(05-20-2014 10:07 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  If BYU is able to make the Big 12 jump it's likely they take one lucky AAC team with them.

It's far more likely that Texas finally bails by that point. Don't underestimate the Horns desire to counter the Aggies SEC move. They aren't looking to add more mouths to the trough. TRUST ME. If anything they will be looking for a deeper trough..with more academic gravitas.
05-20-2014 10:20 AM
Tigers2B1 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-20-2014 10:20 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

BYUtv seems to be the Big 12's biggest issue with BYU. If they can work that out, I can see the Big 12 adding them.

If BYU truly feels cornered I would have to wonder why BYU would continue to push that issue. The Big 12 is a P5 with a path to the national championship game. Better than mere access to the G5 bowl which would be the best they could hope for otherwise.
05-20-2014 10:31 AM
Advertisement

Bleeds_Purple Offline
All American

I Root For: East Carolina!
If the Big 12 wanted BYU they would be there. There is a reason Aresco spent time in Provo in April and we dropped a bowl to give them a slot vs us in Miami.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 10:36 AM by Bleeds_Purple.)
05-20-2014 10:35 AM
PirateMarv Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
(05-20-2014 10:07 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  If BYU is able to make the Big 12 jump it's likely they take one lucky AAC team with them.

Maybe not. The B12 seems quite content at 10 and they seem like a group that would simply stay at 11, simply because a 12th member wouldn't bring any additional revenues.
05-20-2014 10:44 AM
eltigre Offline
Chief Headknocker

I Root For: Throat Punches
(05-20-2014 10:20 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  It's far more likely that Texas finally bails by that point. Don't underestimate the Horns desire to counter the Aggies SEC move. They aren't looking to add more mouths to the trough. TRUST ME. If anything they will be looking for a deeper trough..with more academic gravitas.

This is my gut feel about the the B12 and Texas. It does seem that Texas thinks very highly of themselves. I don't see any available schools the B12 could add that would ever get to call Texas a conference foe. Either new teams are added after UT leaves or new teams are added as UT is finalizing plans to leave.
05-20-2014 10:47 AM
TIGERCITY Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-20-2014 10:31 AM)Tigers2B1 Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 10:20 AM)HuskyU Wrote:  

If BYU truly feels cornered I would have to wonder why BYU would continue to push that issue. The Big 12 is a P5 with a path to the national championship game. Better than mere access to the G5 bowl which would be the best they could hope for otherwise.

As I recall BYU's TV viewership was 16 M total --- the reason ESPN pays BYU so much per game. And, as THE Mormon school --- it has fans across the nation. Not sure how attractive this makes them to the Big 12 but I have to wonder if it 'splits' the money pie thinner (as suggested by some). Seems BYU is one of the few that might be able to carry it's own weight.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 11:05 AM by TIGERCITY.)
05-20-2014 10:56 AM
Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

The big 12 is not going to look back at byu sorry. The aac is byu's best option, also I would take them as a full member along with sdsu, unlv, afa. Then call it a day and look for a new contract. Wouldn't that big of a change start new contract negotiations?
05-20-2014 10:57 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-20-2014 10:47 AM)eltigre Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 10:20 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  It's far more likely that Texas finally bails by that point. Don't underestimate the Horns desire to counter the Aggies SEC move. They aren't looking to add more mouths to the trough. TRUST ME. If anything they will be looking for a deeper trough..with more academic gravitas.

This is my gut feel about the the B12 and Texas. It does seem that Texas thinks very highly of themselves. I don't see any available schools the B12 could add that would ever get to call Texas a conference foe. Either new teams are added after UT leaves or new teams are added as UT is finalizing plans to leave.

Texas makes 20 million off their share of the Big-12 media package and another 15 million comes in from the Longhorn Network. The LHN vanishes if they move to another conference that has a conference network (SEC, B1G, Pac-12--plus the ACC is trying to add one). Right now, Texas is making 35 million off media. It think that's more than any other school. They wont make that in any other conference. When that situation changes, then you might see Texas have wondering eyes---but for now, I think they are happy with their current home.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 11:02 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-20-2014 11:01 AM
NBPirate Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown
(05-20-2014 10:57 AM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  The big 12 is not going to look back at byu sorry. The aac is byu's best option, also I would take them as a full member along with sdsu, unlv, afa. Then call it a day and look for a new contract. Wouldn't that big of a change start new contract negotiations?

I'm sure theres a clause where a certain % of membership change initiates renegotiations. Adding 4 would seem to certainly meet that threshold.
05-20-2014 11:04 AM
Tigersmoke Offline
2nd String

I used to think that Texas was the lunch pin school to the next round of realignment but I believe the landscape is truly stable for a while now. The big 12 is happy as h@ll at 10 and I don't think they give two shifts about byu and the mwc is not an option or an equal to the aac as far as competition and exposure goes. Just my opinion..
05-20-2014 11:09 AM
40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
(05-20-2014 10:57 AM)Tigersmoke Wrote:  The big 12 is not going to look back at byu sorry. The aac is byu's best option, also I would take them as a full member along with sdsu, unlv, afa. Then call it a day and look for a new contract. Wouldn't that big of a change start new contract negotiations?

Yep. Invite BYU, San Diego St, Air Force and Colorado St. Hope they accept.

East: UConn, Cincy, UCF, USF, Temple, Memphis, ECU, Navy
West: Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, BYU, Air Force, Colorado St, SDSU

Markets: NYC (UConn?), Cincy, Tampa, Orlando, Philadelphia, Memphis, Houston, Dallas, New Orleans, San Diego, Denver (Col St?)

Navy vs Air Force yearly
BYU has national appeal because of religious ties
Navy/Air Force has national appeal because of military ties
UConn in the cream of the crop in mens and womens basketball
Cincy is strong in football and basketball
UCF is the Fiesta Bowl champs
USF can re-ignite their footbal lpower of a few years ago
Temple has national name recognition in basketball
Memphis has national name recognition in basketball
ECU delivers a football crazy fanbase and environment (looks good on TV)
Houston strong football and basketball, new stadium
SMU building a strong basketball name
Tulsa is traditionally strong in football, Academics
Tulane: Academics, new football stadium, New Orleans
Colorado St: Flagship (?), new football stadium
SDSU: Strong basketball, good football

Let's do this.04-cheers
05-20-2014 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.