Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Scheduling a big issue at conference meetings
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Scheduling a big issue at conference meetings
From reading Benson's interview it is obvious a great deal of discussions are centering around the scheduling issue:

1. Whether of not to go to a 9 game conference FB schedule or remain at 8.

2. Whether to stay with 20 conference basketball games or go to some lesser number

3. How to schedule in basketball to try to get Sun Belt at least in top 15 in RPI

4. How to handle tournaments in various sports--- byes, whether or not to allow all teams to conf. tourney, format.
05-19-2014 09:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
RE: Scheduling a big issue at conference meetings
1. 9
2. play each team twice H/A
3. who wants to play us OOC? Get top teams on the phone and get them scheduled. Get rid of non D1 games, no exceptions
4. Less teams, not more. Bye for 1st place except baseball, softball. Softball needs to cut that crap out they did this year. Double elimination like the rest of the NCAA tourney. Softball/baseball, DE. All the rest, single elimination.

There, problems solved.
05-19-2014 09:19 PM
Saint3333 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: App State
I prefer 8. Having 4 OOC games will give teams flexibility to have 6 home games each year. If the concern is FCS games or too many P5 away games put limits on both.

I prefer 18 basketball conference games, no more than one D2 games, and scheduling no OOC games with teams lower than "X" RPI from the prior year would be a goal.

Only allow the top 8 teams in the tourneys, double elim for baseball and softball.
05-19-2014 09:31 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
1. 8
2. 20
3. Ban Non D1 games. Limit teams to 2 money games.
4. I like top 8. Keep double bye for Men's Basketball semifinals. Don't like it? Play better.
05-19-2014 09:32 PM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

1. I would stay with 8-- gives teams more flexibility in scheduling non-conference games.
2. I go with double round robin with 11 teams also = 20 conference games. If you are going to only take the top 8 to the tourney then I feel everyone should play everyone home/away
3. Eliminate non D1 games. If you play 20 conference games that only leaves 7 or so games to schedule. Try to schedule teams from higher RPI conferences-- maybe some prohibition on playing teams from with RPI below a certain number.
4.Assuming 11 teams: For basketball I have no problem with 8 making tourney provided double round robin is done. I like the idea of byes the way it was done this year. For softball and baseball--- straight double eliminiation with 8 teams-- 2 pods of 4 teams each
05-19-2014 09:34 PM
CatMom Offline
Getting Old Sucks!

I Root For: TXST
(05-19-2014 09:34 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  1. I would stay with 8-- gives teams more flexibility in scheduling non-conference games.
2. I go with double round robin with 11 teams also = 20 conference games. If you are going to only take the top 8 to the tourney then I feel everyone should play everyone home/away
3. Eliminate non D1 games. If you play 20 conference games that only leaves 7 or so games to schedule. Try to schedule teams from higher RPI conferences-- maybe some prohibition on playing teams from with RPI below a certain number.
4.Assuming 11 teams: For basketball I have no problem with 8 making tourney provided double round robin is done. I like the idea of byes the way it was done this year. For softball and baseball--- straight double elimination with 8 teams-- 2 pods of 4 teams each
Pods suck. I like straight DE tourneys. Best baseball tournament I ever attended was 2011. TXST was the 1 seed, lost game 1, came back from the losers bracket, winning 5 straight. Pitching depleted we started our ace closer. He threw a complete game shut-out. That was nerve wracking and thrilling all wrapped into a 4 day run. (8 guys from that team are in minor league systems)
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 09:45 PM by CatMom.)
05-19-2014 09:44 PM
Advertisement

GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

Generally I agree with straight DE baseball tourney but if TV is involved at all they want 1 championship game, not the possibliity of an "if" game.
05-19-2014 09:47 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-19-2014 09:06 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  From reading Benson's interview it is obvious a great deal of discussions are centering around the scheduling issue:

2. Whether to stay with 20 conference basketball games or go to some lesser number

3. How to schedule in basketball to try to get Sun Belt at least in top 15 in RPI

4. How to handle tournaments in various sports--- byes, whether or not to allow all teams to conf. tourney, format.

1. Eight game schedule, we've got too many games lined up to go to 9.

2. 20 for hoops unless hoops schedules start looking like football schedules and we can trust the coaches to schedule better OOC.

3. Stick with DI games and play an average RPI of 150.

4. Sports with more than 8 teams, limit field to 8. Keep the men's hoops format, move the women to it.
05-19-2014 10:22 PM
T-Dog Offline
SunBeltbbs App State INsider

I Root For: App State
I'm fine with the Sun Belt protecting their top teams in conference tournaments. Gives the regular season more meaning for everyone. The SoCon does a lot of the "everyone gets a trophy" type mess.

I'm in favor of 16 league games in hoops with provisions to limit big money games and NO sub-D1 teams in the regular season. We had seven non-conference MBB games this year and four of them were sub-D1's. FOUR!
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 11:09 PM by T-Dog.)
05-19-2014 11:07 PM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Bob
(05-19-2014 09:44 PM)CatMom Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 09:34 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  1. I would stay with 8-- gives teams more flexibility in scheduling non-conference games.
4.Assuming 11 teams: For basketball I have no problem with 8 making tourney provided double round robin is done. I like the idea of byes the way it was done this year. For softball and baseball--- straight double elimination with 8 teams-- 2 pods of 4 teams each
Pods suck. I like straight DE tourneys. Best baseball tournament I ever attended was 2011. TXST was the 1 seed, lost game 1, came back from the losers bracket, winning 5 straight. Pitching depleted we started our ace closer. He threw a complete game shut-out. That was nerve wracking and thrilling all wrapped into a 4 day run. (8 guys from that team are in minor league systems)

That's what straight DE is ... Two four-team pods, brackets, groups whatever you want to call them.
05-20-2014 06:33 AM
Ole Sleepy Offline
1st String

I Root For: GeorgiaSouthern
Re: RE: Scheduling a big issue at conference meetings
(05-19-2014 09:19 PM)CatMom Wrote:  1. 9
2. play each team twice H/A
3. who wants to play us OOC? Get top teams on the phone and get them scheduled. Get rid of non D1 games, no exceptions
4. Less teams, not more. Bye for 1st place except baseball, softball. Softball needs to cut that crap out they did this year. Double elimination like the rest of the NCAA tourney. Softball/baseball, DE. All the rest, single elimination.

There, problems solved.

Who the hell is scheduling Division 2 opponents?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
05-20-2014 06:35 AM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: Louisiana
(05-20-2014 06:33 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

That's what straight DE is ... Two four-team pods, brackets, groups whatever you want to call them.

Not exactly, but close enough.
05-20-2014 07:39 AM
Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(05-19-2014 10:22 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  
(05-19-2014 09:06 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  From reading Benson's interview it is obvious a great deal of discussions are centering around the scheduling issue:

2. 20 for hoops unless hoops schedules start looking like football schedules and we can trust the coaches to schedule better OOC.

4. Sports with more than 8 teams, limit field to 8. Keep the men's hoops format, move the women to it.

I agree with everything you said. I would also extend the men's hoops format to women's hoops, softball and baseball.
05-20-2014 07:41 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(05-20-2014 07:39 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  
(05-20-2014 06:33 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

Not exactly, but close enough.

Just gotta argue to argue don't you? Yes, you could seed 1-8 and drop everyone down into one big bracket, but traditional baseball DE tournaments are two brackets or whatever you want to call them.
05-20-2014 08:27 AM
warhawk09 Offline
1st String

(05-20-2014 07:41 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  

I agree with everything you said. I would also extend the men's hoops format to women's hoops, softball and baseball.

So you're saying play single elimination baseball & softball tournaments?
05-20-2014 08:28 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-20-2014 08:28 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  

You'll never see the coaches move to a single elimination format... I could see a more complicated format where portions are single elimination, but judging by the way the round robin format was pretty much universally hated...I don't know if it would work.
05-20-2014 08:35 AM
Advertisement

Vobserver Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

Perhaps not; I spoke too quickly there. I meant extend the concept of giving byes to top seeded teams. I know we did that in softball this year; would like to see it in baseball as well.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 08:38 AM by Vobserver.)
05-20-2014 08:37 AM
chiefsfan Offline

(05-20-2014 08:37 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  

Perhaps not; I spoke too quickly there. I meant extend the concept of giving byes to top seeded teams. I know we did that in softball this year; would like to see it in baseball as well.

I don't know. The softball tournament was extremely convoluted and hard to figure out. By the time it was designed, ULM was going to have to play 6 games in 4 days to win the thing. That's almost impossible to pull off from a baseball perspective without asking for arm injuries to your pitching staff. Its part of the reason the coaches moved the Championship to Sunday...just to give teams at least a chance to save their arms.

Heck, one of the big reasons we went round robin eventually was because FIU foolishly abused their entire pitching staff to win the league tournament when they had a 2 seed and NCAA Regional Bid locked up either way. Ended up costing them a 2 and BBQ in Regionals.
05-20-2014 08:46 AM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:

Strikes me ( and I know NMSU is not of SunBelt BB - yet ) these are mutually exclusive.
More conference games means fewer OOC and less opportunity to improve RPI.

NMSU's non-conference starts with four games against rivals ( home&away with UTEP & UNM ).
That doesn't leave much room for others. Fortunately, UTEP & UNM have been good or decent for RPIs.
But you want your schedule with some patsies ( that you hope your team grows through victory )
as well as top tier teams ( to provide challenge and competition with the best ).
05-20-2014 11:19 AM
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I have no problem with the way the basketball tourney was done this year and would have no problem expanding it to the women's tourney.

In softball and baseball however I favor an 8 team DE tourney-- no byes, no single elimination. I guess if the game is televised we would have to go to the 2 pods of 4 teams each and have the championship game be a single game. Honestly I would rather see 1 8 team DE tourney with no pods however.

The Sun Belt has to be the only conference in the country to have done the softball tourney like it was done this year. I say scrap that format.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 11:58 AM by GaSoEagle.)
05-20-2014 11:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.