ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
ETSU wins all-sports trophy again
7th time in 8 years. On to the SoCon.

http://www.etsubucs.com/news/archives/20...h-overall/
05-19-2014 03:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bucfan1968 Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
RE: ETSU wins all-sports trophy again
WAY TO GO BUCS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
05-19-2014 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Buc66 Offline
All American

I do remember when that didn't go over real big -- as a result of shifting the money to the invisible sports and all in order to accumulate the trophy points. There were some heated exchanges on here over that trophy.
05-19-2014 07:50 PM
ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
I'd rather win at basketball, baseball, and football than win the All-Sports trophy. I think most would agree.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2014 08:08 PM by ETSUfan1.)
05-19-2014 08:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
etsubuc Offline
All American

I Root For: ETSU
If there is an all sports trophy, Id rather win it than not win it. But like most sports fans, id rather win in the sports that people care about than the minor sports.
05-19-2014 08:49 PM
bucfan81 Online
Heisman

(05-19-2014 08:07 PM)ETSUfan1 Wrote:  I'd rather win at basketball, baseball, and football than win the All-Sports trophy. I think most would agree.

Yes I agree! We all want the minor sports to be successful at our school. But we also need success with the major sports also or the trophies ring hollow.
05-19-2014 09:36 PM
Advertisement

Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
ETSU won the All-Sports Trophy every year it was given except one. Seriously, it should be renamed the ETSU trophy.

On the men's side, I think they won that one every year they were in the A-Sun.

Not sure on the women, but they won a few of those too.
Now, on to win the trophy in the SoCon.
05-20-2014 11:37 AM
TheShadow Offline
2nd String

(05-20-2014 11:37 AM)Buccaneerlover Wrote:  ETSU won the All-Sports Trophy every year it was given except one. Seriously, it should be renamed the Dave Mullins trophy.

Fixed your post, haha.
05-21-2014 08:04 AM
Buccaneerlover Offline
All American American

I Root For: ETSU/Mid Majors
Ha! I like it.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-21-2014 09:20 AM
buc1984 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: etsu ut
Maybe in a few years ETSU will join the Sun Belt Conference as its 12th member and become the travel partner with Appalachian State. I could see the travel partner set-up for the conference as:

Appalachian State - East Tenn State
Ga State - Ga Southern
Troy - South Alabama
Texas State - Texas Arlington
La Monroe - La Lafayette
Ark State - Ark Little Rock

Could be a possibility.
05-21-2014 04:24 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-21-2014 04:24 PM)buc1984 Wrote:  Maybe in a few years ETSU will join the Sun Belt Conference as its 12th member and become the travel partner with Appalachian State. I could see the travel partner set-up for the conference as:

Appalachian State - East Tenn State
Ga State - Ga Southern
Troy - South Alabama
Texas State - Texas Arlington
La Monroe - La Lafayette
Ark State - Ark Little Rock

Could be a possibility.

That should certainly be the goal. In fact, perhaps that should have been the announced plan out of the starting gate -- not content until we're more like a Middle Tennessee playing in at least a 30,000 seat stadium. See South Alabama, Charlotte, Old Dominion, those Florida schools of the past, a Texas school or two, etc. Someone once said about college sports, you must always be moving forward and growing since staying in place is not an option.
05-21-2014 05:28 PM
Advertisement

Sportsman_17 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU, MTSU, TTU
Not to be negative Nancy here, but the bad thing about that plan is App State will probably be moving up in conference as we are joining the sun belt.
05-21-2014 08:49 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(05-21-2014 08:49 PM)Sportsman_17 Wrote:  Not to be negative Nancy here, but the bad thing about that plan is App State will probably be moving up in conference as we are joining the sun belt.
I seriously doubt that. Where are they going to go? C-USA visited Boone and the ride in via the rental car told them everything they needed to know. Boone is a great town, a lot of fun to hang out in, but it's difficult to reach. What conference wants them? If ETSU could gets their crap together on football (and based on the coaching hires, it appears they are) we could more likely make that move than App in 5 years.
05-21-2014 08:56 PM
Sportsman_17 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU, MTSU, TTU
(05-21-2014 08:56 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 08:49 PM)Sportsman_17 Wrote:  Not to be negative Nancy here, but the bad thing about that plan is App State will probably be moving up in conference as we are joining the sun belt.
I seriously doubt that. Where are they going to go? C-USA visited Boone and the ride in via the rental car told them everything they needed to know. Boone is a great town, a lot of fun to hang out in, but it's difficult to reach. What conference wants them? If ETSU could gets their crap together on football (and based on the coaching hires, it appears they are) we could more likely make that move than App in 5 years.

I hope you are right. I have never been to Boone so I don't know how difficult or attractive it is. Teams like UTEP, LaTech, Marshall, & WKU to me aren't alluring cities either, but they are in the C-USA. Regardless, I think we can all agree that our goal should be to become a FBS level school sooner than later.
05-23-2014 07:27 AM
BucDoctor Online
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(05-23-2014 07:27 AM)Sportsman_17 Wrote:  
(05-21-2014 08:56 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  

I hope you are right. I have never been to Boone so I don't know how difficult or attractive it is. Teams like UTEP, LaTech, Marshall, & WKU to me aren't alluring cities either, but they are in the C-USA. Regardless, I think we can all agree that our goal should be to become a FBS level school sooner than later.

No passenger air service nearby is what makes it tough for App State: From Travelmath.com:

"The closest major airport to Boone, North Carolina is Tri-Cities Regional Airport (TRI / KTRI). This airport is in Blountville, Tennessee and is 69 miles from the center of Boone, NC...

Domestic airports near Boone, NC

69 miles: Tri-Cities Regional Airport - Blountville, TN (TRI / KTRI)
100 miles: Charlotte Douglas International Airport - Charlotte, NC (CLT / KCLT)
109 miles: Asheville Regional Airport - Asheville, NC (AVL / KAVL)
109 miles: Piedmont Triad International Airport - Greensboro, NC (GSO / KGSO)
147 miles: Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport - Greenville, SC (GSP / KGSP)"
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2014 08:02 AM by BucDoctor.)
05-23-2014 08:00 AM
SC BUCS FAN Offline
Water Engineer

I think App in the Sunbelt will be 5 years max. This whole realignment deal is not over by a long shot. Once the P5 leagues get their way, and they will, the rest of us will have to do what "we have to do" to maintain football. In other words, if Clemson or NC State no longer play the C-USA or Sunbelts of the worlds, don't look for Appy to fly to New Mexico State or Idaho. Once the p5 schools get the mountain to themselves, you will see a bunch of regional conferences form amongst schools basically for simple economics. And that's not a bad thing. I have no desire to see ETSU play UL-Monroe. NONE!
05-24-2014 07:28 AM
Advertisement

BucDoctor Online
All American

I Root For: UVa, ETSU
(05-24-2014 07:28 AM)SC BUCS FAN Wrote:  I think App in the Sunbelt will be 5 years max. This whole realignment deal is not over by a long shot. Once the P5 leagues get their way, and they will, the rest of us will have to do what "we have to do" to maintain football. In other words, if Clemson or NC State no longer play the C-USA or Sunbelts of the worlds, don't look for Appy to fly to New Mexico State or Idaho. Once the p5 schools get the mountain to themselves, you will see a bunch of regional conferences form amongst schools basically for simple economics. And that's not a bad thing. I have no desire to see ETSU play UL-Monroe. NONE!

Drive to Boone? Only decent way is via Hickory. Their location isn't as bad as Longwood or LMU, but it is a handicap for them.
05-24-2014 07:36 AM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-24-2014 07:28 AM)SC BUCS FAN Wrote:  I think App in the Sunbelt will be 5 years max. This whole realignment deal is not over by a long shot. Once the P5 leagues get their way, and they will, the rest of us will have to do what "we have to do" to maintain football. In other words, if Clemson or NC State no longer play the C-USA or Sunbelts of the worlds, don't look for Appy to fly to New Mexico State or Idaho. Once the p5 schools get the mountain to themselves, you will see a bunch of regional conferences form amongst schools basically for simple economics. And that's not a bad thing. I have no desire to see ETSU play UL-Monroe. NONE!

The P5 folks say they do not want their own division as long as they have "autonomy" within the present DI. I believe that is just a first step to their own division in football because the autonomy thing will be too messy long range. The current DI basketball setup looks secure for the foreseeable future, and nobody will likely want to tamper with that. You're right, it will come down to mostly economics, obviously, for the remaining non-P5, DI (FBS & FCS) football schools. The first test will be how many of them will be able to offer enhanced aid, like the P5 folks are about to do, for their football programs? From there a new alignment structure will likely be built and the scramble will be on. I hope ETSU ends up with at least the likes of App State, Ga Southern, Middle Tennessee, Western Kentucky, Old Dominion, James Madison, Charlotte, Eastern Kentucky, Ga State, .......,..,,
05-24-2014 01:40 PM
bucgal Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: etsu /usc/uga
If you expect ETSU to move up to the level of the teams you mentioned in the above post, someone had better come up with a ton of money. Facilities will play a major part in moving to a similar type conference as CUSA and ETSU's proposed football stadium won't make the cut.

I've not heard one word about moving to a much better conference. I have heard several times, that ETSU is perfectly happy to play in the SoCon.
05-24-2014 07:08 PM
Buc66 Offline
All American

(05-24-2014 07:08 PM)bucgal Wrote:  If you expect ETSU to move up to the level of the teams you mentioned in the above post, someone had better come up with a ton of money. Facilities will play a major part in moving to a similar type conference as CUSA and ETSU's proposed football stadium won't make the cut.

I've not heard one word about moving to a much better conference. I have heard several times, that ETSU is perfectly happy to play in the SoCon.

That's it, SoCon long range? Now if the SoCon is going to grow, maybe. Why not aim for the level of these schools? ETSU's athletic budget is already approaching the mid level of the Sun Belt. The next ten years MUST include a vision of moving up, up to whatever the next level will be then. If these schools can fund raise for athletics, why not ETSU? After all, ETSU has some rather competitive academic programs for career success, programs that several on that list simply can't match.
05-24-2014 07:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.