Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Assuming we bring UMass in as FB only should NMSU be brought in for all sports?
Bookmark and Share
GaSoEagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Ga Southern
Assuming we bring UMass in as FB only should NMSU be brought in for all sports?
Do you believe the Sun Belt should add NMSU in all sports or stay at 11 until an eastern team is more ready to join in all sports (at which time I would assume UMass or Idaho would be excused from the conference)?
05-14-2014 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Eagleditka Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GS Eagles
RE: Assuming we bring UMass in as FB only should NMSU be brought in for all sports?
Add NMSU all sports. Strengthen basketball and baseball.
05-14-2014 07:07 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
RE: Assuming we bring UMass in as FB only should NMSU be brought in for all sports?
I agree! And no to Liberty!
05-14-2014 07:09 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
Yes

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App
05-14-2014 07:10 PM
TheRevSWT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bobcats!
Honest question... Does NMSU improve baseball? I don't know.

I'm in favor of NMSU all sports because a) I hate only partial in the conference members unless it's temporary and b) I actually think this could be a pretty decent basketball conference.

Not an all world basketball conference, but a conference that can some years eek in two teams to the tourney.
05-14-2014 08:54 PM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-14-2014 08:54 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Honest question... Does NMSU improve baseball? I don't know.
Not this year, but that's just on current RPI ~ I don't know whether this is just a particularly bad year for NMSU.
05-14-2014 09:00 PM
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(05-14-2014 08:54 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  Honest question... Does NMSU improve baseball? I don't know.

I'm in favor of NMSU all sports because a) I hate only partial in the conference members unless it's temporary and b) I actually think this could be a pretty decent basketball conference.

Not an all world basketball conference, but a conference that can some years eek in two teams to the tourney.

Eh...Not as much as a Georgia Southern does. They've been Top 25 though.

If they came for baseball...just go ahead and say goodbye to your team's ERA numbers the day before you head to Las Cruces, because they'll never be that low again.
05-14-2014 09:07 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-14-2014 09:00 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
Not this year, but that's just on current RPI ~ I don't know whether this is just a particularly bad year for NMSU.

I'm a sorry observer ( never even been to a game ), but they have had some tourney worthy teams in the past. Recruiting for basketball hasn't been a problem, probably because of all the international recruits. But I think baseball would be able to recruit better by being in the SunBelt.
05-14-2014 09:57 PM
DoubleAggie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(05-14-2014 09:07 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  [quote='TheRevSWT' pid='10752089' dateline='1400118845']

If they came for baseball...just go ahead and say goodbye to your team's ERA numbers the day before you head to Las Cruces, because they'll never be that low again.

That's the truth.

The Spring winds blow pretty hard from the West here, and just like Wrigley Field, the homers fly out.
05-14-2014 10:00 PM
NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(05-14-2014 10:00 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  
(05-14-2014 09:07 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  [quote='TheRevSWT' pid='10752089' dateline='1400118845']

That's the truth.

The Spring winds blow pretty hard from the West here, and just like Wrigley Field, the homers fly out.

Ahh, but those batting averages!...

And yes, this has been a bad year for Aggie baseball.
05-14-2014 10:29 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
$1.4 Million was donated to NMSU Baseball, the only thing not being upgraded is the field ( to Synthetic Grass). Upgrades are scheduled for completion by December.

Baseball had a bad year, also had issues with an assistant coach. Two years ago Baseball had an at large bid to the post season. A new Coach should be in our future.
05-14-2014 11:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU

That's the truth.

Las Cruces is the Anti Jonesboro. At Jonesboro, the Spring Winds blow in and turn home runs into a rare occurance that fans should marvel at because of how difficult it is. At Las Cruces, the team that doesn't homer is a bad team.

I remember ASU winning a game there once 20-16.
05-14-2014 11:13 PM
runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-14-2014 11:13 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  

That's the truth.

Las Cruces is the Anti Jonesboro. At Jonesboro, the Spring Winds blow in and turn home runs into a rare occurance that fans should marvel at because of how difficult it is. At Las Cruces, the team that doesn't homer is a bad team.

I remember ASU winning a game there once 20-16.

the wac has become a collection of pretty cheesey schools. nmsu should want to bring all their sport to the belt.
05-15-2014 07:53 AM
TStatebobcat Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TxSt
Personally I want NMSU as an all-sports member. With that said bringing them in now doesn't make sense since Idaho and Umass would be temporary members. If, in a few years, we were to bring in two other all-sports members then we would have 13 all sports members. Not sure if that would be an ideal number or not.
05-15-2014 08:39 AM
GoAppsGo92 Offline
1st String

I Root For: TheMountaineers
(05-15-2014 08:39 AM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  Personally I want NMSU as an all-sports member. With that said bringing them in now doesn't make sense since Idaho and Umass would be temporary members. If, in a few years, we were to bring in two other all-sports members then we would have 13 all sports members. Not sure if that would be an ideal number or not.

All sport western outlier for UMASS. Sounds fair.
05-17-2014 07:46 AM
BruceMcF Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-15-2014 08:39 AM)TStatebobcat Wrote:  Personally I want NMSU as an all-sports member. With that said bringing them in now doesn't make sense since Idaho and Umass would be temporary members. If, in a few years, we were to bring in two other all-sports members then we would have 13 all sports members. Not sure if that would be an ideal number or not.
14 ... if you had 10 all-sports members and 2 Olympic sports members and added 2 all-sports members replacing two FB-only members, you'd be 12/14 FB/Olympic.

Not all sports, of course, since other than BBall, different schools can meet their FBS sports requirements with different sports. And individual meet-based sports have a lot of flexibility, so M&W Golf, Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Track and Field and Tennis aren't an issue.

Sunbelt team sports before hypothetical new members, assuming NMSU has been upgraded to all-sports:
12: M&W BBall, Baseball, W Volleyball
11: W Soccer
10: W Softball
6: M Soccer(+3)

Adding two to M&W BBall and either one or two to the others seems like it would be entirely reasonable. 14 in BBall offers several ways to schedule either sixteen or eighteen conference games (and of course the SEC and Big Ten play with 14). Given the footprint it would likely be 14 in baseball, so that would require some thinking whether to split into divisions. Similar with W Volleyball (a common Title IX balance sport).

Women's soccer & softball would seem fine with one or two more members and men's soccer, with one three Sunbelt schools sponsoring the sport and three affiliates to reach AQ, would actually be more secure with one more Sunbelt school sponsoring the sport.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 12:36 AM by BruceMcF.)
05-18-2014 12:35 AM
Advertisement

runamuck Offline
All American

I Root For: uta
(05-18-2014 12:35 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
14 ... if you had 10 all-sports members and 2 Olympic sports members and added 2 all-sports members replacing two FB-only members, you'd be 12/14 FB/Olympic.

Not all sports, of course, since other than BBall, different schools can meet their FBS sports requirements with different sports. And individual meet-based sports have a lot of flexibility, so M&W Golf, Cross Country, Indoor & Outdoor Track and Field and Tennis aren't an issue.

Sunbelt team sports before hypothetical new members, assuming NMSU has been upgraded to all-sports:
12: M&W BBall, Baseball, W Volleyball
11: W Soccer
10: W Softball
6: M Soccer(+3)

Adding two to M&W BBall and either one or two to the others seems like it would be entirely reasonable. 14 in BBall offers several ways to schedule either sixteen or eighteen conference games (and of course the SEC and Big Ten play with 14). Given the footprint it would likely be 14 in baseball, so that would require some thinking whether to split into divisions. Similar with W Volleyball (a common Title IX balance sport).

Women's soccer & softball would seem fine with one or two more members and men's soccer, with one three Sunbelt schools sponsoring the sport and three affiliates to reach AQ, would actually be more secure with one more Sunbelt school sponsoring the sport.

I would think that if we were going to eventually restart football, we might add women's soccer.
05-18-2014 08:30 AM
CajunExpress Offline
1st String

I Root For: Louisiana
Right now bringing in NMSU for all sports gives us a 12 team league for olympic sports. Let's do it, worry about Idaho, later as well as any other all sports teams. I think sooner than later UT-Arlington will add football, perhaps as Idaho is leaving. That is the best case I can think of.

A dozen for football is not a magic number. If you guys could only get that into your heads.
05-18-2014 09:59 AM
MJG Offline
1st String

I Root For: U I , UMich, SC
Ten is the ideal number for Olympic sports. Round robbin eighteen game basketball schedule. So if you have elevated I guess twelve or fourteen is fine.

NMSU is a good add for Olympic sports . I hope it happens they have classy fans and both history and potential in basketball.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 10:09 AM by MJG.)
05-18-2014 10:08 AM
Dman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: APP STATE
[/quote]

I would think that if we were going to eventually restart football, we might add women's soccer.
[/quote]

mites are on chickens.
05-18-2014 12:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.